PC [mod Download] Tsw 3 - New Skybox For Older Routes (todv4)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by trainsimcz, Sep 27, 2022.

1. trainsimcz

trainsimcz Well-Known Member

When DTG released new TSW 3 they add new skybox system with volumetric clouds there. But only new routes which are included with TSW 3 got that skybox working. Rest is still using old TOD3. So here let me introduce TODv4 (new skybox) for older routes. Its not completely perfect, there is known bugs like very dark platforms at nights or PIS looks like its not working but it is... Im working on that solution too but it can take me some time. If you dont mind those small bugs then you can enjoy it right now :) (just for Bakerloo and underground part it will be better to stay with original TOD as with TOD4 it looks scarry :D )

Mod you can download here: http://www.trainsim.cz/?mod=article&showid=2585

• Like Like x 34
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. robsinnit

robsinnit New Member

This looks very promising . Looking forward to when the bugs are sorted . Great work .

3. in_04

in_04 New Member

Should be on highest priority at DTG to archive this for us.

4. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

Great mod! Definitely gonna give it a try.
    I'm recommending you to post it on Train Sim Community too, would be helpful.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  5. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

Excellent ! Higly recommended at day !

• Like Like x 1
  6. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your work! :)

7. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

As a side-effect, it seems to improve the lighting of most areas during the daytime.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately, dark areas (such as under canopies at terminus stations) look very wrong as well as the aforementioned night time issues.

Cheers

• Like Like x 6
  8. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

If DTG could just put in the work to include that officially and fix the night issues...

• Like Like x 1
  9. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I kind of wish DTG named tsw3 something like Train raider, Nurburgring edition 4-, the curse of the swollen thumb...

I see this as the only way to make people realise that tsw3 is not ending up in tsw 2 by their hands

10. Callum B.

It would be a lot of work and likely eat into time spent fixing higher priority issues. As Matt said, it's the last 20% of visual difference that takes 80% of the work.

Cheers

11. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Would be time well spent, they should do it

• Like Like x 6
  12. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Depends on if the team has time but until that happens, unlikely lol

13. chieflongshin

it would only be time well spent in the charity sector where profit was not needed. They will make more return on investment making new routes with them as native features rather than dragging their hands over old ones for the rest of eternity

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Not everyone in the world currently owns all of the TSW2 content.

I.e. it is still on sale and is still being purchased even now. By existing players and by people who are brand new to the franchise.

However, to run the main TSW game you need TSW3, so that is the new point of entry for new players. At this point then you buy TSW3 and all of its content including the new DLC and then you say now what?

And you look at the huge back catalogue of items for sale and go ooh, maybe I can get these other routes. But then you find out that as soon as TSW3 came out the older items were all immediately abandoned and will never look as good as the TSW3 items, so you don't bother.

Have you seen the concurrent player numbers on Steam? To say this game needs a larger audience is a huge understatement. And all of those items could be bought by even more people...etc and so on. That would make good money.

15. chieflongshin

I don't see that rehashing old stock will
    Impact as a lot of the casual audience probably wouldn't notice the clouds initially. Steam numbers are not representative of what the game needs I don't believe as it's only a small minority of players vs console which is c66% of users

16. Callum B.

Some more screenshots from a refreshed-looking Sherman Hill.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers

• Like Like x 17
  17. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

This has quickly become a must have for me and I'm more than willing to deal with the bugs because the effect on the routes is pretty simply transformative. The main bugs I'm fine with. Pitch black nights are ok with me because I never drive nights. PIS boards don't show anything...well we were without functioning PIS in this series for longer than we've had it, so not a big deal to give it up. I also don't walk around stations so I rarely notice it. The only one that does have an effect on me is how some stations are super, super dark, like Glasgow. However, not all are like this. Most aren't from what I've seen, so I just deal with it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Abandoned is a little strong word. They are still functioning, as they were in TSW2. Yes, becasue TSW 3 had improved lighting, they look worse than their TSW 3 counterparts, but they look exactly the same, as in TSW 2.
    This will happen all the time with games like these. The technology improves, and it cannot be always backported back to older stuff (especially with such extensive catalogue TSW has). It was the same with TS Classic, and it is the same with other franchices.
    Like in ETS 2, it is apparent which parts of the map are older (like Germany before rework), and the quality of later DLCs is higher then some of the first ones.

19. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

The technology did not improve.
    The lighting in TSW2 was just a mess and broken and should never have been done that way in the first place. Basically q bug they never fixed

No other game/simulation had such broken lighting...ever

• Like Like x 2
  20. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Damn, this is gorgeous.

21. breblimator

breblimator Guest

:o

I think it's time to visit the RSN again

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2022
  22. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

I really think they should revisit maybe the most popular routes. Maybe some will anyway receive the SHSE treatment if extended or so.

• Like Like x 2
  23. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

How is progress coming along with the PIS and Lights at stations?

• Like Like x 1
  24. trainsimcz

Well higher priority is editor right now, finishing simugraph stuff so that mod will have to wait for a little bit :)

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. CowBoyWolf

I just wanted to say the skybox is ducked on SPG but works on all the other routes

26. TKessel

TKessel Well-Known Member

THANK YOU! This is so brilliant stuff! I hope this will be developed more in the future, such a huge step forward! Just WOW!
    This looks so good! This community is just amazing! tsw.jpg tsw_2.jpg

Last edited: Nov 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  27. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

If the new addon manager" breaks this mod I will uninstall tsw3

• Like Like x 1
  28. CowBoyWolf

Addon manager*

29. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

What a difference! Sherman Hill would be the perfect next candidate for 3D volumetric clouds and TSW3 lighting. The transition should be complete when Big Boy is released as the iconic US steam locomotive at the latest. But until then you can help yourself with this mod. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  30. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

I hope DTG is working on that to bring it officially to TSW3, maybe as option you can toogle

31. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

...the idea with an option in TSW3 to switch from 2D skybox to 3D volumetric for older routes would be great. But then there is still the problem with the lighting system to be adapted. Older routes are less illuminated in terms of sun and all train and ambient lights. So it may be that in the end the volumetric clouds would not look nice on them.

32. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, do what MSFS is doing. Give us "Experimental" Options for such things. Then nobody can complain if it works not 100%

• Like Like x 4
  33. as someone who is all about detail this mod is 100% worth having but how long until the psi issue is fixed for it because yeah im someone who called for PSI in TSW for a long time until they started adding it

• Like Like x 1
  34. rennekton#1349

It would still need massive amounts of work. It means overhauling the lighting, adding clouds in and shadows and stuff. The modders can only do like 10% of the route. It's up to dtg to manually do everything else which would mean it would take years and there would be no releases.

35. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

I highly doubt that. Look at what modders can do in their free time. DTG wiith all their stuff should be able to do much more.

36. rennekton#1349

I don't think dtg has a lot of free time lol. Also they have said it would take over a year to update all the routes with the new sky and lighting so I doubt they will actually take the time to manually update each route when they are making newer content

37. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Even better. The staff of DTG is payed to work on the game 8 hours 5 days a week ;)

38. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

For the present, following a bad experience, I've stopped using all TSW mods, but if I ever decide to try again, I'll try to remmeber this one.

39. Callum B.

Funny, I thought you said you wouldn't buy TSW3 until DTG fixed all the problems. And yet here we are. No bite.

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  40. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Simply stunning

• Like Like x 1
  41. it tryed it but sorry until there is a fix its a no from me to be up front i see dovetail adding it in say in the final year of tsw3 by then i hope someone has the guts to say lets move to unreal 5 with TSW4 or even better a whole new Train Sim game

42. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

Good god does that look amazing on the old content. I am tempted to just ignore the not working PIS and play it this way instead, on old content. Especially Arosa, with the clouds hanging on / between the mountains. That looks amazing!

Ts2prototype Screenshot 2022.11.22 - 20.23.49.69.png

20221122203601_1.jpg

And in snow storm, the mountain tips are actually covered in clouds too ... !

20221122204048_1.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  43. chieflongshin

I assume we’re only seeing the good bits though right. Anyone want to balance this thread?

44. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Well you can see the overly bright lights on the ceiling on the Boston shot. That is one of the ugly bits.

45. chieflongshin

Didn’t even spot them. I was train blind :D

46. rennekton#1349

I've noticed that the signal lights weren't visible on spg so you can't tell whether it's green, yellow or red. The headlights are shown as off in the sd40, but they still emit light. Some headlights don't emit any light. Other lights like the destination lights cause a strange reddish glow. Paddington station has a really strange shadow effect (the cab becomes pitch black, weird shadowing). In hsc, the es44 screens where you set the air brakes become unreadable at night so you can't see what you are clicking so you have to memorize what buttons to press. Some shadows are missing or show up last second. The lighting is a bit odd (like on gwe, the lighting went from bright to a hazy look to bright over again which could be due to the clouds but it's a weird effect). Instrument lights don't work. Sometimes turning on cab light doesn't affect the brightness, even in daylight. In hma, everything looked gray with clouds around half way. Nights are super dark like on boston providence so if you are doing a depot move then it can be hard to see. Pis doesn't show.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  47. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

Oh there is plenty of downside, and it is in the screenshots too. Chur is as dark as a tunnel, Boston too, with the lamps weirdly lit. And the clouds are clipping through the mountain. Some routes are completely broken, Bakerloo for example turns into a horror game. And no PIS is visible, some signals either work barely or are way to bright. And most stations have their materials on the surfaces completely messed up, especially London in GWE is horribly looking.

But despite that, and given the track record of routes in this game having "ugly bits" all the time, I can overlook those issues for the sake of having much better lightning and clouds that give the world a new depth.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  48. when taking this off it makes the new cross city route stations at night very dark so this mod does something to the simulator to be up front i will just wait until dovetail end up doing it we all know it will happen in the end

49. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

DTG needs to make an official version with fixed lighting.

50. trainsimcz

Just for your information, i had a little time yesterday so i did some testing with that TODv4 and old routes. My first target was fixing that PIS... now here is my results... i did the test on Koln route which was part of the TSW 2.

Here is night time (yes lights arounds are not working yet):
    [​IMG]

Here is how it looked before during the day:
    [​IMG]

And here is how it look now during the day (still not perfect but at least i got some stuff there:
    [​IMG]

Im not giving up on this mod, it will still require some more time to fix all that.

• Like Like x 11
    • Helpful Helpful x 1