PC Latest Sale

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by nwp1, Oct 27, 2021.

1. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Yes, a computer reboot solved it. Don't know why that should have happened, but it did. Unless maybe it got tangled up in the system update Windows has been trying to force on me.

2. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I'm debating Harlem but I don't know if it's because I want to
    Use it or because it's 55% off

3. sequencer2k16

sequencer2k16 Well-Known Member

You remember wrong, all three locos have journeys. ;)

KWG.png CJP.png SEHS.png

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

5. sequencer2k16

sequencer2k16 Well-Known Member

Someone had no idea, there are even 3 scenarios for each loco.

6. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Fairly sure it was a preview stream so would have been someone at DTG

Knew I hadn't imagined it, DTG said he didn't think it did but he'd check, and then never came back to correct himself so I took that he was correct

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
  7. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

at 55%, it is worth the price since it is unlikely to go down to 75% since that is extremely rare. Well, bugs aside and red light issues, it is a much better route than lirr.

8. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Basically my thoughts, 55% is as good as it's going to get unless they do an Oakville or Sherman firesale special on it.

9. chieflongshin

I’ve passed on it. I have enough passenger routes, don’t really play Boston and I find LIRR nice but quiet so I don’t see point. I’ll see what new routes are when they arrive at the next platform. £11 will soon be a loaf of bread

10. solicitr

Well, went ahead and got Horseshoe, even though the discount isn't great. No interest in Harlem, even if it was free, and I thought about Hamburg but man, I have all the other German routes and have barely scratched Tharandter Rampe as it is.

Luzerne is just too short to be worth the asking price.

11. tygerways#2596

tygerways#2596 Well-Known Member

That is, indeed, disappointing.

12. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

Finally got the BR101.
    Without HRR I can drive it on some custom services and on Riesa / Würzburg

13. chieflongshin

Horseshoe to be fair I like. For those that know the trains inside out I’ve seen some feedback, however it’s a nice route and you always seem to pass a fair amount of stock. Some services you are almost racing another train.

Luzerne I left too as I suspect its another Cathcart

Hamburg ain’t bad but it’s mainly straight so you can drift off as you play it

14. Felix Costa

Felix Costa Member

Some routes for TSW2 are on sale on EPIC and I'm wondering if I got some of them will be possible to download it for TSW3 too.

Searching add-ons for TS3 none is on sale. this seems strange to me. Looks like something buggy on Epic Store.

15. rennekton#1349

Yes, you should be able to use them for tsw3. Dlc in tsw2 are ported over to tsw3 and should be available

16. Dux of Fatumnia

Dux of Fatumnia New Member

So if you buy a TSW2 DLC now, that DLC will become available in TSW3? I always assumed the unlocking of TSW3 DLC already owned for TSW2 was a one time thing upon purchase of TSW3.

If that is true, I'd love it and hate it at the same time. I bought €60 worth of TSW3 DLC today; DLC that I waited months to buy in hope for a sale, but after no summer sale, no Halloween sale and no Black Friday Sale through Epic I gave up the waiting today and just bought it.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
  17. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

I've been waiting for a decent sale on the G6, so that's an easy buy. Can I get opinions on the gameplay aspects of Tharandter Rampe, Harlem, and Luzern-Sursee (TSW2 versions), please?

18. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

I picked up a couple of things at 40-55% off, but as I recently came back to PC master race I was hoping to grab the TSW3 Deluxe routes I had previously bought on console, but at 20% off it just negates the recent massive price hike so it doesn’t feel like it’s really worth it. Let’s see if the Xmas Steam sale will be more generous.

19. solicitr

Tharandter Rampe is excellent- vies with Riesa-Dresden as the best German route to date. Luzern seems to be nice, but it's really short.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Sale is great for me pick up 3 new routes on Train Simulator as i got Everything on TSW its a nice sale and good thing there is one again in 1 month

21. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

The sales are the way to go. I bought the Huddersfield Line at 45% off only released in October. The Glasgow subway was pre-released at a discount of 25% so bought it immediately, would not have done initially and today it has 25% off.

On that basis I feel DTG would make more money by offering a 25% preorder discount and then keep the route from going in the sales for six months to a year.

22. OldVern

I saw that TSC NTP has a massive discount. Presumably didn't sell that well which, as it duplicates TSW but without the comprehensive timetable not a surprise. Added to my "might" get routes though more than likely bump to the Xmas sale. The one I'm mulling over for TSW is the IOW and whether to get the original or newer version. Also WCL even though the 150 is still pants and Cornwall looks like Fangorn Forest, there's still the appeal of thrashing the classic diesels.

Oh one other thing which I did mention in the Tech forum. Steam seems to be trying to reinstall TSW2020 and TSW2 when you purchase some of the older items, even though specifically selected from the TSW3 DLC list.

23. matt0d

matt0d Member

No, I believe that is the case - it's just not something people have tried because up until now there has been no reason to buy a DLC from the TSW2 page of the store vs the TSW3 page (if you own TSW3).

Someone at DTG has definitely messed up with the Epic sale this time around, because the sale on TSW2 routes is only available if you go specifically via the direct link to the TSW2 page (it's not searchable in the store any more) or if you own a copy of TSW2 and go to the store page via the "Explore Add-Ons" button. This cuts out any new players to TSW3 (or old ones that have uninstalled TSW2 to an extent) who seem to be DTGs new favorite customers - TSW2 players are being left behind in the dirt, so this seems like an odd turn of events.

Anyway, there are only 3 DLC discounted on the TSW2 store page and they can be found here: https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/all-dlc/train-sim-world-2. As said above, it should unlock them on TSW3, although this is not confirmed and I think you need to own a copy of TSW2 to be able to purchase them.

Maybe this is DTGs way of saying sorry for the fact that preservation updates for TSW2 have still not materialised, maybe this is DTG rewarding their long-term players with a sale only they can access, or maybe this is just a good old-fashioned screw-up where some unknowing employee selected the wrong version of the DLC to go on sale. Either way, if you haven't got one of the routes and want it then enjoy!

24. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

Tharandter Rampe is great, I definitely recommend getting it.
    Harlem is fun as well, but some services cannot be completed due to the red light bug.

Luzern-Sursee I cannot say, but I've been eyeing it in the sale as well.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Dux of Fatumnia

Thanks for the extensive answer. I already own the few DLC that are on sale according to your link, so at least I know that I don't miss out on anything anyway. Still, it is a bit sad what Epic players get compared to what Steam players get. Getting TSW2 for free through Epic three years ago and therefore building my collection there, eventually also buying TSW3 there was quite the mistake in the long run.

26. OldVern

So far so good with Harlem though I've only done the first two Journey runs. The most tedious part is having to run nearly a mile at 10 MPH through the tunnels and throat approaching GCT, though I guess that's prototypical. The ACES and ATC is a bit twitchy too, several penalty brake applications for the alerter even though not switched on. And they never fixed the M3 obstacle deflector scraping the rail or the almost complete absence of track noise or clatter. So to remain vaguely OT, worth it at 55% off but not a penny (or cent) more IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Without hesitation go for the newer 2022 version. It’s just better in every way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  28. rennekton#1349

Tharandter rampe is a well made route. Scenery is really good. 612 is beautiful since tsg did the physics, sounds and setup. The route is twisty and very steep so there's a lot of twisting. There's nice shunting moves. You get services with the 143 which are quite nice. And you get freight services. Other trains also sub in like the g6, other freight trains, and passenger trains. Dra subs in and makes Dresden busy looking. Lots of ai trains. Based on the few runs I've done (shunting and some passenger services), it's been going well. There were some people having derail issues but I'm not sure if they've been sorted. But for the most part, one of the best routes. The route is on the quiet side but great regardless.

Harlem is plagued by red light issues. The included trains are great with new sounds and physics. Although the m7a at full power feels like a rocketship. It's a much better representation of new York compared to lirr. Gct is quite busy ai wise since Joe created the timetable. There's lack of track sound but there's a sound mod for the m7a and m3a the raises the volume of rail noise so you get rattles and creaks at speed. Dtg silenced those sounds even though they had it in the files

Luzern sursee is a short route. it is empty since it's only 1 train. The scenery is much more improved compared to iow and definitely arl. If you like quick 30 minute runs, then it's for you. Sounds are decent, physics is alright. The issues I have is that the performance is worse compared to other routes. Nights are very dark and headlights are useless. There's still the horn bug where you can hear the horn unless you are less than 5m away from the train. Etcs doesn't work sometimes and there's red light issues cuz of that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

Went ahead and purchased the CC and loco bundle.

30. Dux of Fatumnia

Wholly agree with this, especially in terms of rolling stock. The quality of the Rivet 1983 stock and the IOW version is far below the quality that we are used from TSW in terms of sound and handling. The 2021 version has rolling stock with better handling and sound, and the timetable and scenarios are more interesting.

31. rennekton#1349

I might pick up the loco bundle, but at the same time Im not sure cuz of the poor reviews. Let us know how the experience is :) if possible

32. anarchy99

anarchy99 Well-Known Member

Same. I do want the RHTT for sure but I am undecided whether to buy it alone or the bundle with all 3.

33. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

Well, the bundle price is twice the individual, so it seemed to me the easiest to pick up all three, even if I don't use one of them. It's like when TSW3 came out, I spring for the top level which gave me SOS for just under $6.00, I have never run it, but may try sometime.

34. matt0d

matt0d Member

This is very true, sadly it doesn't look like DTG can even be bothered to put the right sale on Epic so I wouldn't hold out too much hope for anything substantial at Christmas. Epic players clearly didn't make the jump to TSW3 in the same way that Steam players did.

Currently I'm still enjoying TSW2 and learning to drive all the routes that I own HUDless, if that ever changes and I'm drawn to TSW3 I think I'll look for keys on key-resellers combined with a steam sale to rebuild my collection (or the important bits of it for layers etc - no desire to re-buy some stuff) on Steam and finally bid goodbye to Epic. It is rather depressing comparing the fact that basically every DLC is discounted in some way on Steam while on Epic you have to dig through the depths of the internet to find a handful of DTGs worst routes (DCZ excepted - that's my current favorite route) discounted for a now depreciated version of the game.

35. Calidore266

Thanks very much to those who responded for the input!

36. Dux of Fatumnia

Yes. Although I read their 'official' news article about the sale, and it listed what was on sale through which platform, and they specifically said that it was only those four DLC's and only for the TSW2 version. So it looks like an intentional decision. I myself play mostly TSW2 routes as well, but through the TSW3 version, I have removed TSW2 itself to save disk space. It is sad, I was mainly looking to hoard the Loco DLC's, as I have most routes and have recently discovered how routes can feel completely different when you own all the trains that are scheduled on it.

37. OldVern

Well after a bit of an inner struggle whether to buy anything Rivet I gave in and bought the IOW modern and WCL. Figure the latter with classic diesels will be just about tolerable at that price and I see there's also a mod for the 150, if I decide to play with it. I've only played the first tutorial on IOW but doesn't seem too bad. The 484 suffers from the jerky start which I believe the Ge4/4 on Arosa does, indicating a slight lack of understanding by Rivet as to how they should compile the Simugraph physics. But it looks okay and a nice route for a quick 25 min drive. Would be ironic if it was the best of the 4 TSW routes I purchased - Harlem having the red light bugs and RT the traction lock issues and the still near silent 1442 EMU's.

38. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I have purchased the revised IOW with the 484, I had the previous version but wasn't very keen on the class 483 but the route was okay. This version is much better, the route looks lovely and the 484 well modelled. I did notice a bit of a jerky start when you pull away but it really doesn't bother me. It will be a nice route to jump in for a quick relaxed drive. I do wish it had tunnel occlusions though, I am sure going through those narrow tunnels on the approach to Ryde Esplanade would be quite noisy even on CWR.

I am pondering Harlem and Luzern but Harlem does seem to have a fair few bugs and as said Luzern is short but so is Isle of Wight. The unit on Luzern doesn't excite me either (which I know is heresy in some circles)!

I might look at WCL but how bad is the class 150 now as I believe they updated it?

39. rennekton#1349

The 150 is still quite poor. The train does feel more realistic now cuz of the slower acceleration and other changes. I've read that the revs don't increase past notch 4 which rivet said they are looking at but that was already several months ago. The other issue I have is the sounds loop badly. You hear audible pulsing which doesn't go away until the gear change where the sound drops in volume. I much prefer driving the other locos as they are much better

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  40. rennekton#1349

The mod doesn't do too much. It changes the sound so that you don't hear the audible looping but you still have the other physics and sound issues because of that. So rivet have to go in and fix it

41. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Thank you for that. I might leave it for a while. I have just seen AP are having a sale so might spend some money there.

42. lupojohn

lupojohn Active Member

I saw it in the store until recently. I've also seen it in other places when searching for it on Google.

I assume if I were to buy it elsewhere, it wouldn't be compatible by the comment you made.

43. rennekton#1349

The gp40-2, nec new York and the switcher that came with the cab car didn't port over to tsw2. The way they had been built was different from the other dlc so it would have required a rebuild from the ground up which dtg couldn't do when everything had to be ported over to tsw2. They said it would be better as a rebuilt dlc made from scratch. So the new York route could come as new York to new Haven. The gp40 could come in a future us route and sub/layer in.

44. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

It is not compatible with TSW2 or TSW3 - if you have TSW2020, you can run it on that if you have New York-New Haven (also TSW2020 only).

45. rennekton#1349

It only goes to like newark airport or something, not new haven.

46. lupojohn

lupojohn Active Member

47. rennekton#1349

Yea, that didn't port over cuz it would have required a rebuild such as sounds, physics, etc. Same story with the nec route and the switcher and cab car

48. Calidore266

Picked up (all for TSW2) the G6 and Tharandter Rampe due to positive reviews. Also got HHL, which kept being put off in favor of other things during previous sales.

49. OldVern

Got HSC which seems okay, though the ES44 is a bit buggy and sounds very odd, particularly at low engine revs - like someone shaking a bag of nails! Read there is supposed to be a mod but the only one I could find was for the ES44 on Cajon so if someone could point me in the correct direction... The sound also has a tendency to drop out if you switch to external view, something that also afflicts the SD40s on Clinchfield. I see looking back through the board this has been reported but in classic DTG and in this case Skyhook too, fashion has gone in the pile of things that will probably never get fixed.

I think that is it for this sale. Rapid Transit has gone on my never attempt to buy again list, Harlem try again if they ever sort the red light issue. So I ended up with IOW 2022 which actually isn't bad, WCL which you just have to accept is what it is and HSC plus a couple of routes and the Bossman Royal Scot for TSC.

Not sure what I might grab in the Xmas sale, maybe Arosa or HBL but that is pretty much everything I want in my collection right now. Need to keep some credit by for a likely purchase of Simrail in the New Year.