Cotswold Line

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by GTAGamer245, Nov 21, 2022.

1. GTAGamer245

GTAGamer245 Well-Known Member

I am suggesting the Cotswold line from Oxford to Hereford which will feature the return of two existing companies in TSW including GWR and WMR.

Stations include:

Oxford,
    Hanborough,
    Combe,
    Finstock,
    Charlbury,
    Ascott-under-Wychwood,
    Shipton,
    Kingham,
    Moreton-in-Marsh,
    Honeybourne,
    Evesham,
    Pershore,
    Worcester Shrub Hill,
    Worcester Forgate St,
    Malvern Link,
    Great Malvern,
    Colwall,
    Ledbury and Hereford

The route is 86.3 miles (139 km) with a maximum speed of 100 mph (160 km/h)
    and contains a mixture of single and double track.

Rolling stock:

Rolling stock will include the GWR class 802 with the WMR Class 170/5 as standard.

Layers / Substitutions

Owners of GWE will be able drive the GWR HST as a substitute to the class 802 as the route is set in 2018/2019 while the 166 is used for services between Great Malvern and Shrub Hill. AI only freight will also pass through Oxford and also on the Crosscountry route at what is now Worcestershire Parkway, A railtour service for Spirit of Steam owners will also be present to drive on the entire route (July seasonal service). One service from Hereford to Oxford and a return service back. You won't be confined to steam traction as you will be able to sub the LMS Jubilee for a WSR class 33, 47 and 52 (including GWB class 52), TVL class 31 and 37 (including WCL class 37) and NTP class 40, 45 and 47.

Training modules will include 3 training modules with two for the training centre and the introduction on the route itself.

Class 802 introduction will teach you how to quick start the train and how to use the Bi-Mode capabilities on the high speed loop.

Class 170 introduction will teach you how to quick start and drive a single loop on the inner loop.

Effects on other route dlcs:

The class 170/5 could also layer onto the Cross City addon for services between Birmingham New Street and Bromsgrove.

What do you think of this potential route for TSW3?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 6
  2. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I would like to see this route with a class 800 (a class 50 and 117 would be even better).

The class 170/5 idea is nice (especially if layered onto CCL) but I feel really that if they are going to make a WMR class 170 then a full length route would be beneficial.

• Like Like x 3
  3. lucasfor49

lucasfor49 Well-Known Member

I'd get this route in a heartbeat for the 802 alone. Add a turbostar along with it and it would be amazing. Definitely a route that would be more rolling stock then everything else based. HST layering would be nice aswell.

4. seagull81006

seagull81006 Active Member

I'd like to see this in a modern era (esp due to the Class 170 and 802,which would be awesome for Cross City and GWE respectfully), though i will admit seeing this in the 1980s would also be pretty nice as well

5. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

I must agree that it would be better with a 50 and 117 but the 80Xs and 170s are so widespread across our network and will probably be able to layer onto most modern routes out of the southeast into the future and I do rather like the 80Xs as well. Good suggestion mate.

6. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Hymeks and double headed Class 31's please!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I'd buy this with the 170 and the 802, particularly if they also closed the gap on BCC and somehow wangled it to allow the 170s to run Hereford to New Street.

I probably wouldn't buy a period version unless the scenery was spectacular, but I'm guessing it's mostly grass and rolling countryside?

• Like Like x 1
  8. jack travers

jack travers Well-Known Member

And will this be unelectrified or electrified?

9. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

The Cotswold Line is not electrified.

10. andyscotland

andyscotland Well-Known Member

This would be a brilliant route for one main reason, if handled right you could link it up with brum by having a Worcester/hereford to new street/snow Hill route and also the opportunity to link Oxford with slough/Reading and onward to London. Locos I'd like to see would be class 172 and perhaps170s

• Like Like x 1