PC Birmingham Cross City - Timetable Variation?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by fakenham, Nov 19, 2022.

1. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

Just had an interesting experience in timetable mode. Decided to depart about 10 mins late from Redditch on the 2P17, to see how it would affect the running of the timetable. Interestingly I got held at Barnt Green for a Bromsgrove northbound service (it had just passed through before I arrived at Barnt), then got the road under cautionary aspects. Even had a fairly long wait at SY25 (the approach controlled signal), so you really have to expect to stop! Followed the train all the way to Sutton Coldfield under adverse aspects - I stopped there as I needed to do other stuff.

So it seems there may be a bit of variation in the driving experience if you decide to depart late from certain stations - a big plus for the playability aspect! And it seems no red signal lock ups as well (so far). Hopefully this bodes well if DTG decide to implement some kind of random AI delays.

Need to investigate at other locations....

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  2. owenroser19

owenroser19 Well-Known Member

Interesting. I don’t think they have mentioned anything like this but it’s certainly what would happen in real life.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Matt has said a few times that the dispatcher will adjust for this sort of thing so you get adverse signals if you manage to get behind another service

• Like Like x 2
  4. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

Having a great time with this service above, changed ends at Lichfield TV and continued, still held up by other services due to my lateness. Also I must note that the save game function is working well, as I've saved and restarted this particular run with no red signal lock ups.

Also, having driven for the first time towards Redditch I must say the scenery on this branch is excellent, apart from the obvious ommision! Running in Feb gives the route a nice look with the leafless trees etc.

• Like Like x 3
  5. lcyrrjp

lcyrrjp Well-Known Member

Yes, it’s very odd. DTG have always said that they can’t introduce delays of this kind into the game, because they don’t trust the ‘dispatcher’ to be capable of running anything other than a service in which everything runs on time. Yet when you ‘force’ delays in this way, the dispatcher always seems to deal with it just fine. Indeed, the below thread has a whole spreadsheet of examples (‘chaos runs’) of people deliberately messing up the plan and leaving the dispatcher to sort it out, while they enjoy the adverse signals etc which (realistically) occur as a consequence.

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/awesome-tsw-service-mode-runs.32010/

• Like Like x 2