Steam Locomotives In Base Game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vector224, Nov 25, 2022.

1. Vector224

Vector224 Member

Hi what train simulator has the most steam locomotives in the base game please

2. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

I only recall TS 2016 having Riviera 50s. And of course Rail Sim and RailWorks times with Somerset & Dorset.
    While steam is very popular, at least considering photograph interactions everywhere, they're also a bit difficult to drive, not really suitable as core content. Even though most such traction is massively simplified.

Or do you mean routes?
    Riviera 50s and Falmouth come with very similar trains. There is also Clear Creek and ye olde Sherman / Utah, cute things.
    I'm not a huge fan so can't really help further. :(

3. Vector224

Vector224 Member

Is it still possible to buy new locomotives and routes for 2016 please?

4. IronBladder

IronBladder Well-Known Member

Yes.

If you buy TS2016 it will be automatically updated to the latest version. Or buy TSC2022 and then get Riviera in the 50s as DLC.

5. triznya.andras

Train Sim Classic is a single game, the yearly editions (such as 2016) were essentially just a bundle of DLC.
    You could buy 2016 if you find a key somewhere at a reasonable price. Otherwise as IronBladder suggested.
    If you are familiar enough with SteamDB you may find a route that on its own gives you a TSC license (without routes).

In TSC you can drive almost any train on any route. The only thing you miss with a mismatch is the set of scenarios for the train. Probably want to avoid one with too many tunnels, first. :) In that sense, once you have a

Another thing you can do is invert the whole line of thought. Browse the list of DLC for steam locos you like, and pick the route it comes for, then check if said route has further DLC (search for route name tends to bring them up).
    Example: Flying Scotsman Centenary -> ECML South (modern electric).

You could also search the workshop for steam scenarios and start there.

Can be a bit overwhelming at first.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Vector224

Vector224 Member

overwhelming indeed I'm currently on series x I'm looking at train simulator on pc because I'm looking to drive more steam locomotives but not sure where to start

7. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

TS2021 had Fife Circle, which came with the A4.

• Like Like x 1
  8. triznya.andras

This gave me a fairly good set of results, to start with.
    https://store.steampowered.com/search/?term=train+simulator+steam
    Read reviews! No need to overthink, there are regular sales. Most DLC can last weeks, or even months.

Probably the Riviera in 50s is a straightforward start. (Required for Falmouth rework below.)
    West Somerset is a somewhat in-between (2013) route with two steam locos.
    Settle-Carlisle is a rather nice route (in summer), comes with a couple steam and has a further add-on.
    Falmouth is old and short, but cheap and offers some variety and perspective. There is also a workshop rework by TobBirk.
    Somerset & Dorset has a nice learning path, basic trains but grades and tunnels. However it didn't get younger.

If you wait for a few more responses and splurge this list, you should be set for many months. :)
    (You still need the base game anyway.)

9. Vector224

Vector224 Member

By the looks of it train simulator classic is my best bet buy the base game and then buy the steam add-ons
    Thank you for your help

10. trevkiwi

trevkiwi Active Member

Check out Bossman Games for Steam Engines for TSC they make some of the best. Bossman Games - Home

• Like Like x 1
  11. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

The West Somerset Railway route is a steam line and it's one of a few routes for TS that you don't actually need to have TS to run- it's effectively a single route edition of TS in its own right and you can go on to add other DLC if the bug bites. It's 55% off (£6.74) in the sale as I type so that's nice. I don't have the route so won't offer an opinion except to note that, because it represents a preservation line, you may find it a bit niche.

I'd second the recommendations for The Riviera Line in the '50s which is quite varied, looks good and has good models of several GWR kettles from Pannier Tanks to King Class albeit in BR liveries. I got started with TS2016 and found the route a good introduction to driving steam especially with driver advice- a feature that isn't available for all DLC. If you can find a Steam key for TS2016 from a reseller you can probably get it for pocket money- a quick Google lists it at three pounds or so (caveat emptor- others may recommend a trusted reseller). As has been mentioned it would install through Steam so you'd be updated to the latest version of the program and needn't worry about backward compatibility if you go on to add newer DLC to your collection.