South Wales Coastal Branded

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sebastian423, Nov 23, 2022.

1. Sebastian423

Sebastian423 New Member

Hello everyone. A scenery I would like to download requires the South Wales Coastal Branded but it isn't for sale anymore. Does anyone have an idea on where to get this route? Or a way to get the textures into the game?

2. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Here is a good place to get South Wales Coastal (Bristol - Cardiff).
    Humble Bundle TS2017
    Unfortunately it does mean you'll get the other routes with it and it's currently full price at £24.99.

3. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

You could get it by buying TS2017. Steam keys for older editions of TS can be found from resellers- caveat emptor but they're usually pocket money proces so good VFM and a good way of getting started in TS or building up a cosmopolitan collection of DLC. Precisely because TS2017 includes the original South Wales Coastal though it can be harder to find and more expensive.

(TS2018 includes the Arriva and Virgin branded North Wales Coastal also no longer available otherwise.)

4. Sebastian423

Sebastian423 New Member

Thank you both for the answers. I'll try it out!

5. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

The branded version is still available as part of the yearly bundle mentioned above which is how I got it. However, it only includes the Bristol - Cardiff section and not the extension (similar to how you can get North Wales Coastal branded but only Crewe - Llandudno).
    The re-released unbranded version for SWC included the extension.

6. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

Well, I do have both so they are clearly separate.

Snímek obrazovky (343).png

7. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

You're showing North Wales Coastal there with the Virgin branding and the newer TfW/Avanti branding and not South Wales Coastal with the Arriva Trains Wales branding which the OP asked about.

8. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

Ups, in that case just ignore that.

One solution that I do see however is getting into the route's scenery tiles and mass-replacing all the file references from the branded route to the unbranded one (assuming the internal stucture is the same). I remember doing that with workshop routes (that used assets present in several official routes) but it's been a while.

9. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

Are the unbranded and branded versions separate routes?

10. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

This may help the earlier discussion.

upload_2022-11-27_18-14-23.png

The Asset Pack is the original SWC. The other two are both listed as the Bristol to Swansea Route Add-On, and have the same date of install, which makes it mildly confusing which is which. However, they are separate routes. If you had the full route before, you have both. If you didn't, but bought it later, you will only have one, and that is the unbranded one.

Oh, and the scenario pack is no longer sold.
    You posted just before I was about to post this. The above image and explanation should aid. :)
    Forgot this, editing in. You are correct. The branded version uses BristolToCardiff and CardiffToSwansea, unbranded uses SouthWales01 and SouthWales02. Basically cloned the route and changed the asset location for everything and published it as one route instead of splitting it up. Ts-Tools may be able to help you with swapping the required assets for the route that references those assets, and maybe you can even offer the updated route to the maker of the route to update the other one since all branded owners should already have the unbranded one anyway. Stock swaps similarly would be found in the latter pair of folders, hence you can convert any SWC scenario to SWML by changing them around. That helps with the hundreds of drives on the Workshop! Same with NWC, if you can excuse the change in stock and the verbage not matching, though you can always insert the Just Trains Voyager Advanced as well (it's branded as Virgin).

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
  11. eldomtom2

Actually I believe the original SWC is "Bristol To Cardiff Contents". The Asset Pack was included with the branded versions of both Bristol-Cardiff and Bristol-Swansea.

But for clarity, since you own all the relevant DLC, are there ultimately three routes if you own everything? Bristol-Cardiff branded, Bristol-Swansea branded, and Bristol-Swansea unbranded?

12. Cyclone

South Wales Coastal Assets Pack is the name given on SteamDB, and if you check the Depot information, it shows the files for the route. I also know I had the two items in my listing originally because I bought SWC itself and had issues with the Bristol to Cardiff scenarios not appearing, and had to go through customer service with the list of owned DLC to get a code to unlock the missing scenarios. I later discovered the original Bristol to Swansea was not bundled with those scenarios, and buying the Goblin Lines even now has the same bug showing you own North London Line but not have the scenarios for it.

In any case, back then, it showed as just the route name, no termini in the name (see image). The name was changed as the branded version went off sale.

upload_2022-11-28_17-7-17.png

To answer the other question, there are two. They are identical save for branding. Owners of the first through to the terminus at Swansea got the unbranded one for free.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
  13. eldomtom2

Really? Most DTG route extensions are separate routes, from what I've seen.

14. Cyclone

Some routes do bundle with the extension, yes. I took another look and it seems seven years ago, in the history of item 448181 (the branded extension), it claims it did come with what is now known as the Asset Pack. I am evidently mistaken there. Not all are like that, however; for instance, item 1804518 is the Leipzig-Riesa extension, and can be purchased by owners of the Dresden-Riesa route, but does NOT come with the original route. This is an unusual example, however, because Train Simulator Classic in fact comes with BOTH parts of the route, so this is a rare situation where someone might buy it separately because they can get additional routes for a lower cost; it only makes sense to buy the individual item if you own the three base routes without the extension - that is, Tehachapi, WCML South, and the Bahnstrecke route itself - ir if you don't want either WCML South or Tehachapi. If missing Dresden-Riesa, just buy the full TSC bundle instead.

15. eldomtom2

I'm not talking about the addons but instead the in-game routes.

16. Cyclone

You mean how the game reads them? Here's one way to look at it. The extension takes the original route and makes a brand new route out of it. So it reads as two different routes in the game. I played the original South Wales Coastal scenarios on route ID 00000064-0000-0000-0000-000000002016, which indeed only shows the map to Cardiff even though I own the Swansea extension; 00000068-0000-0000-0000-000000002016 is the version that goes to Swansea, and the unbranded version adds an "a" over the first zero in the second set (Welsh Marches winds up in that series as well).. If one wanted to, any scenarios on 64 can literally be MOVED (not copied since two duplicate folder IDs causes one to not appear and causes game issues) to the 68 folder and they will operate perfectly fine.