Tsc - Taurus Mountains Out Now

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, Nov 18, 2022.

1. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  2. andmodeltrain

andmodeltrain Member

Finally, we are very excited about this. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

After watching the two videos you posted and the stream, this route looks amazing and the sounds are great. Looking forward to adding this to my collection very soon.

• Like Like x 1
  4. andmodeltrain

andmodeltrain Member

Thank you. :) I'm glad you like it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. andmodeltrain

andmodeltrain Member

315638546_857619018692187_3322892044083221122_n.jpg Beautiful screenshots are starting to arrive. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Enjoying the add on so far. Loco is beautifully modelled as is the rolling stock and route, that I've seen. Just two slight issues to feed back...

The background noise in the cab seems very loud, almost overbearing and present even when the loco is under power. Drowns out just about everything else including any track sound. Could do to be reduced in intensity, also does seem to catch a bit of a slight loop.

On the third Standard Scenario, 0519 running downhill from Ulikisla taking in the first couple of stops, the maximum permitted speed of 110 km/h seems a bit high for some of the curved section, I had to brake down to about 80 km/h to feel the train would be cornering comfortably. Maybe it is like this in real life and it's my perception but I really felt going round those curves at that speed would put the train off the rails.

Anyhow back to driving and will post any further findings in due course.

Edit: Regarding the speed issue, studying the manual I see the permitted speed for the sections is actually much lower. Should that not then be posted on actual trackside signs at the relevant locations?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

A fantastic route and awesome detailed loco - but needs rework because of FPS issues due to assets loading and terrible tree LODs. Just managed to reduce the loading times by packing parts of the assets into .ap files.

Happy to see another capable developer stepping in to keep TSC alive. :) A big Thank you, AND!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  8. OldVern

Yes the middle distance LOD is not good. Like Zusi 2 though I dread to think what increasing the detail would do to the frame rates.

• Like Like x 1
  9. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Awesome route, would love to see a Turkish Motive power and rollingstock pack for it in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  10. andmodeltrain

andmodeltrain Member

Thanks for the feedback. Our trees are highly detailed, yet consumes a lot of fps due to poly count. Hence we decided to reduce the stutter by increasing the lod counts and reduce polygons in the distance meshes. We will definitely work thru all vegetations to improve visibility and reduce lod pop-up effect.
    On the other hand, I did not know that the route and asset files were to be shipping as explicit folder structure. I thought DTG will have them zipped in one .ap file, just like any other assets. I will ask them to solve it by packing them in single .ap file. We will update the route asap.

11. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

12. andmodeltrain

andmodeltrain Member

Yes, a different team is working on the Trakya route. But they are using common and payware assets together. So this route will only be available as a hobby route.

13. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I know there's different opinions on the matter. I think well textured 2D trees should still be a consideration today. Just played WCML North again to find the appearance of the vegetation and the high FPS very appealing.
    The LODs on taurus just look bad. And still it should be a POV train simulator, not a tree simulator ;)

Love the route though!

• Like Like x 2
  14. andmodeltrain

andmodeltrain Member

We are working on all of the trees. We have had a lot of improvements on the lods. I will give more information in the upcoming days.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Rob Jansen

Rob Jansen Well-Known Member

I enjoyed running the route on stream a while ago (going to be published on YouTube soon).

Detail is great, trees indeed were changing a bit to close to the player but after a while you don't notice it as much.
    You feel like you are there, almost if not all, all new assets.

I don't know how loud the train is IRL, but it was a but too loud at times possibly. Also it feels that there was no audio occlusion in the cab.

One gripe I have is that the scenario's included are a bit long, personally splitting them into 2 parts would help.

I would love to see a scenario pack in the future for the route!

Love to see what you have in store for future add-ons!

• Like Like x 2
  16. OldVern

The sound improved after I updated my Realtek onboard drivers but it still seems to be overpowering the ambient and track sounds. I'm not a fan of quiet cabs as I like a bit of "thrash" but it should not be as loud as external view.

Don't mind the long scenarios as the save game comes in handy. In fact one of my gripes about TSC routes in general is split scenarios. At least this route came with a fair number, for those of us spoiled by TSW's all day timetable.

I would like to see the AI loco(s) made driveable.

• Like Like x 1
  17. andmodeltrain

andmodeltrain Member

Hi there.
    Thanks for the feedback. I am happy that you liked Taurus Mountains. There is cab occlusion indeed, but there seems to be some kind of loud sounds in cab for some people. Please activate EFX in game audio settings, it will improve sounds and add reverb effect in tunnels and bridges. I will upload a video which will show the in cab and exterior sounds. Please compare this with your audio quality and see if there are any differences? Have a nice drive. :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rob Jansen

Rob Jansen Well-Known Member

Thanks, but I do have EFX enabled by default as it is required for more third party add-ons.

The cab occlusion is just barely to non-existent for the experience (could be in those older locomotives).

But generally this loco is way louder then other add-ons, possibly the sound mixing was done on a system with lower volume set.

19. OldVern

Same here, EFX enabled.

20. andmodeltrain

andmodeltrain Member

Would you please watch this video and tell me whether the in cab sounds are same or different compared to yours?

21. OldVern

It sounds a bit smoother I would have to say, but there is still little difference between the internal and external playback.

I guess sounds are subjective and of course very much dependent on the hardware and speakers.

• Like Like x 1
  22. andmodeltrain

andmodeltrain Member

By the way, the real engine itself is very loud actually. Please watch this wonderful trasher video of actual engine irl

23. OldVern

It certainly is!

• Like Like x 1
  24. andmodeltrain

andmodeltrain Member

Yes. We can definitely work on the cab occlusion settings and try to tweak it.

25. andmodeltrain

andmodeltrain Member

Hello dear Train Simulator community,
    Just the let you know the major update for Taurus Mountains will be released on 18 May 2023 at 10am (UK time). Updates will be made automatically via Steam.

The changes and additions with this update are as follows:
    - DE 24000 Cab Occlusion values have been overhauled, providing a more realistic in-cab sound level.
    - Speed limits on the entire line have been reworked. Thus, instead of the 110 km speed limit, especially for passenger trains, speed limits were defined along the line as in real timetables. Also I have added markers showing correct speed limits on HUD.
    - For increased performance, all of the passenger car lights, which are designed with shadow enabled, have been replaced with shadowless versions. In fact, thanks to the FPSGuard system we have developed, it takes some precautions when the system catches low FPS in order to compensate for the performance losses in FPS (eg: removing the passengers inside the wagon, activating the shadowless lights instead of shadow enabled lights etc.). However, we changed the shadow enabled wagon lights because we detected instantaneous FPS fluctuations while FPSGuard constantly tries to prevent it.
    - We have reworked textures, bodies and LOD structures of all Tree objects. Problems like LOD near pop-up issues, 2D-3D textures not matching have been completely fixed. Both the performance is increased and a much more beautiful scenery view can be captured visually.
    - Visual anomalies in some parts of the line have been fixed, objects have been added/removed in some places.
    - Scenarios have been overhauled and some of them have been revised with German and Spanish translations.
    - Voice over has been added to the "64742 Freight Service (Belemedik - Yenice)" scenario.
    - The visuals of the "Introduction to Taurus Mountains 1 & 2" scenarios have been replaced with HTML versions and the texts have been simplified.
    - Added 3 new standard scenarios.

Cheers.

Last edited: May 18, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. OldVern

Great stuff! DTG could learn a lesson or two from this level of support when it comes to their own content, especially TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  27. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Thank you very much! A great update for one of TSC's greatest routes!

The new route introduction with images is fantastic. And the DE24000 is the best Diesel in TSC.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  28. andmodeltrain

andmodeltrain Member

Thank you very much for your kind words and appreciation "torfmeister". :)

29. andmodeltrain

andmodeltrain Member

Thank you very much "OldVern". I wish it could have been published months ago, but we still say thank God for that, as it was able to be released without any problems just at the time when the TSC core was being updated.