Railway News Edition 4

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by tft#6439, Nov 27, 2022.

1. tft#6439

tft#6439 Well-Known Member

Welcome to Railway News Edition 4 where we talk about news you actually want to hear. First for those who live in Wiltshire and Dorset get excited because on the 5th December 4498 Sir Nigel Gresley will be hauling a railtour from London Victoria to Bath Spa operated by Steam Dreams. Then on the 6th December a WCR Black 5 will be hauling a railtour London Victoria to Yeovil Junction operated by Railway Touring Company. Then on the 10th December 6233 Duchess Of Sutherland will be hauling a tour from London Victoria to Bristol Temple Meads and plenty more. Next GWR have announced they will be getting rid of their Castle Class 43s. The full-length HSTs were replaced by Hitachi IETs, but were converted to a 2+4 (2 powercars and 4 coaches) set to run on the Cardiff to Penzance route. Great Western Railway says that the Castles were a temporary measure for the route. It is very sad indeed as it is the full end of an era and even more sadly they will likely be put out of they're misery like most 43s. Next 2 rail workers were nearly struck by a train just outside of London Paddington. The incident took place at 1:17am on the 18th of July 2022 when a passenger train travelling at 24mph was making its way into London Paddington station, narrowly missing two track workers who were walking very close to the line with their backs facing the train as it approached. The train sounded many warnings but all went unnoticed. Before we finish I want to say; I will leave links in the comments because last edition I had a lot of comment complaints of not leaving links to the articles. Tune in December 20th for the final Railway News in 2022. That's it for this edition of Railway News.

• Like Like x 2
  2. tft#6439

tft#6439 Well-Known Member

3. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

yes I read this, very close shave. An interesting point which I read is that "warning fatigue" could have played a part. Basically track workers hear so many warning horns over the course of a shift that they switch off to them. Although there other failings leading up to the incident.

• Like Like x 1