PC Leaked Holiday Express Dlc?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Blacknred81, Nov 28, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

unknown.png

Borrowing this photo from the TSC discord, but it seems like on the PS, these 3 trophies point to a Holiday Express themed DLC for TSW3.

Not the 1st time DTG has done a DLC like this, as back on TSC, they did a Holiday Express DLC way back in the day.
    capsule_616x353.jpg

Thoughts?

• Like Like x 5
  2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Well, that looks very interesting. If there’s one thing I’ve always wanted to do on a train journey it is to collect all the chocolate coins.

• Like Like x 14
  3. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I mean its not my cup of tea, but clearly given that they've done it before it must have some popularity so for those who like the whole cuddly warm feeling of Christmas Im sure it will a welcome addition.

If youre a grinch like myself then its definitely one to leave on a shelf.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
    • Like Like x 6
  4. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

Which route would this be on?

5. Blacknred81

Most likely it's own stand alone mini route, themed like a trainset around a house if I want to make a prediction.

• Like Like x 3
  6. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

The version for tsc was actually it's own separate game. You didn't need tsc to use it at all. So it could be like a side project that doesn't require tsw or something

• Like Like x 2
  7. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

Wasn't it a case where if you didn't own the base game you got it with it (but without any of the routes etc. you'd get if you bought the regular version)?
    Considering how BCCL came with the option to get the TSW3 base with it (at the same price as the DLC alone) they may continue this.

8. lux#4689

lux#4689 Well-Known Member

My guess, it will be something similar in style to the RhB Anniversary Collection by Rivet, that we got in December 2021. Probably a repainted existing train with some scenarios for an existing route. We will probably see and hear it soon.

• Like Like x 2
  9. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

They've been secretly working on the (closed) Bonavista branch in Newfoundland, regauged to standard gauge and snowified for Christmas!

Seriously might be worth a punt if the price is right and we do get a nice little route, too.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

If this is anything like the original Holiday Express, then what an interesting little route this could be! Being able to run around as a little man in some giant living room with a fireplace, chairs, tables, and whatever else. Perhaps the train has arcade-like physics similar to an actual model train! Should be pretty fun.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

The problem I see from that is the level would be too big of a space with not much else to do when roaming around on foot, let alone finding collectibles that would be obscured if you're tiny sized like a toy train.

Pretty sure this DLC will be a lot different compared to its relic counterpart from TSC (as well as Game of Gnomes). Otherwise, beside scenarios, what else would you do from within timetable mode for one giant room if you're small as a mouse.

• Like Like x 1
  12. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Very interesting

13. Jonne1184

Jonne1184 Well-Known Member

Can someone enlighten me what the Holiday Express actually is?

14. OldVern

Speculation until DTG officially announce it. Could be a Christmas themed train pack. Could be a small route in which to run it with a snowy, North Pole feel. Or as already mentioned could be a model/LGB around the room type model railway as we have seen before in TSC.

15. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Would be epic if they'd done something like the Severn Valley Railway with their yearly Santa Steam Special (to roll out the fixed steam physics). Fairly compact route with a few towns, some beautiful scenery and a safari park on the way!

That would be pretty cool for a play. Not sure how much repeat value it would have, but could be nice and festive, weaving between trees, presents and stockings.

This feels more likely. Or, knowing how DTG love inclement weather, just a short loop around the TC with permablizzard and zero visibility!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Blacknred81

So, the question is, if it does contain Holiday themed trains, what would the most likely candidate be?

Personally, I feel like DTG will pull the nostalgia card out again and call back to the TSC Holiday Express and use at least a F7A, as well as throwing in a few reskinned stock, or a redone flat car with special Christmas themed loads on them.

I feel like the chocolate coins will act like how collectibles currently act on other routes, if this is indeed a mini holiday route.

17. Conductor B

Conductor B Well-Known Member

If you think that Christmas is about syrupy sentimentality and warm cuddly feelings, then you're doing it wrong. ;)

18. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

Whatever it is, I am looking forward to hear more. I always wanted to see TSW go down the Trainz route at least once to give us a model railroad to walk around in, just imagine it's modeled after one personal model railroad of a DTG employee!

And if this delivers just that, that would be awesome.

19. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Being British, I expect that the Holiday Express would run on the Brighton Line or WCL ;)

I expect it will be Christmassy though, if Training CENTER is anything to go by.

• Like Like x 2
  20. TSW Nathan

TSW Nathan Well-Known Member

I wonder what train it will be...?

21. redrev1917

I'd love it to be a small generic US style loco with a couple of oldy worldly generic carriages (thinking along the lines of the generic toy trains you see around a Christmas tree) set as a model railway.

Perhaps theyve got something pre built as a proof of concept/trial loco when they where building the SOS simugraph.

If it was priced at a stocking filler present price point I'd probably pick it up if that was the case.

• Like Like x 2
  22. OldVern

Actually I would also like to see one of those old toy store style layouts, that the big shops used to put on display in the run up to Christmas, back in the 60's and early 70's. Complex track, not too much scenery but trains popping in and out like a rabbit Warren- where will it appear next?!

• Like Like x 1
  23. eldomtom2

The TSC Holiday Express was a reskinned F7. And seeing as TSW has an F7...

24. Blacknred81

There was also a Steam locomotive that came with as well I think, but I don't know what that was based on.

25. Challenger3985

The Steam Loco is a K4, the same model DTG also made on TSC

26. TSW Nathan

TSW Nathan Well-Known Member

I'd love to see a Christmas Jacobite between fort William and Mallaig operated by West Coast Railways. They do special christmas services in real life with the train decorated so I don't see why it can't be done. It also has ScotRail Class 156's that run occasionally on the line as well! I know, I know the services are only 4 per day (Scotrail) and 2 per day for the Jacobite but still! It also goes over the harry potter bridge (Glenfinnan viaduct). :)

27. eldomtom2

Note that this steam loco was, as befits a model train, actually electric.

28. Challenger3985

The physics are electric based because, as you said, they are designed to be more of a model train with basic controls. Now how would that work on TSW is a different story.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  29. OldVern

Probably more true to reality in the physics department than the SoS steam locos, what!

• Like Like x 4
  30. Challenger3985

Until an announcement is ready (guessing on the next Roadmap for now), interested to see how this DLC would go well on TSW. And if the achievements intended to be going down the model train side for the holidays (compare to Rivets enhancement pack for Arosa last year), then many will sure find it fun while others may not (making heads or tails if it's worth it already). At least it'll be something other than the Bremen route before the end of the year (right?).

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
  31. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

I wonder what route is this for? If Riesa-Dresden RT & Tharandter Rampe a DR Baureihe 211/242 with Rekowagen. For the former Deutsche Bundesbahn network Main Spessart Bahn RRO SFS Hannover-Wurzburg real name of KWG RSN Bahnstrecke Witten/Dortmund-Oberhausen/Duisburg the real-life name for HRR Koln Aachen Munich-Augsburg and Koln Aachen a DB BR120 or 110.3 in the correct Deutsche Bundesbahn late 1980s paint.

32. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

Here comes another re-skin.....

• Like Like x 2
  33. Blacknred81

This was posted about an hour ago on the TSW Facebook page.
    FB_IMG_1670447935076.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  34. highland beastie

highland beastie Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20221208-104740_Chrome.jpg
    Edited the photo a bit to make it a bit brighter.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  35. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Lol i've got nothing on this one. Guess we'll find out pretty soon.

36. OldVern

Seems to point to a living room carpet type layout, if that's a fireplace in the background.

37. Challenger3985

Not surprising now for a reveal for tomorrow then, on Roadmap Day (as I've guessed from earlier).
    If HDX also includes another reskin of an F7, then I'm done for good
    [Note: did anyone else notice the right eye on the elf is funky looking, or is that just me]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  38. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

That is Normal for DTG to reskin North American locomotives and German 155 182 can serve as the basis for the Austrian 1016-1216 locomotives and 185s. For me, DTG will surprise us with the HDX being set in the Austrian Alps

39. bljohansson#4171

bljohansson#4171 Active Member

I'm actually really hoping for a christmas-y room(s) where we haul around presents.

40. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I'm very intrigued as to what is going to be announced. A Christmas/Holiday dlc would be a welcome change of pace and not something I'd have expected but would love to drive.

As a wild guess, the idea of driving around a huge Christmas tree surrounded by presents, in front of a roaring fire and behind a large sofa, winding its way around the living room or a child's bedroom is a great idea.

- Scrunched up wrapping paper or Xmas presents as a tunnel?
    - Christmas lights draped all long the train?
    - Multiple rooms, drive into the snowy back garden...?

Maybe I'm getting carried away, but this is something me and my three-year-old son would love to play together.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  41. shimarin

shimarin Active Member

42. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

43. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

44. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

45. Challenger3985

Well, I've already have a few notes on this.

Layout:
    From the overview of this Living Room, looking like there's no ridiculous elevation climb to get to high places from the floor like the table or the fireplace (There is a bit of elevated track, it's just not that high luckily). Which might be a good thing considering how TSW physics works these days (but not surprising if the F7 runs on electric).

Rolling Stocks:
    So far on the freight side, the Bulkheads to be used with different loads like wooden blocks. But adding something new is the Santa Fe style Caboose. Makes sense, since it's not like DTG made Heavyweight Passenger Cars yet anyways.

F7 (groans):
    Not gonna sugarcoat this one, it's exactly the same as the Santa Fe counterpart, but without the Gyre (aka the common look). And I mean come on: TSW3_HolidayExpress_Watermarked_Screenshots_6.jpg
    They didn't even bother trying to renumber it either, just slapped in a solid red paint and that's it. (I know I'm gonna be nick picky with this part. But if it wasn't for the ATSF F7, I would've viewed this differently instead of making a fuss about it.)

But that is it for me. As for how Scenarios and timetables will look like, will have to wait and see until a preview stream of it next week. I will say this however, it's definitely the same as its TSC counterpart but with flashier graphics. Peace!

46. Blacknred81

The Santa Fe style caboose is from Clinchfield, there really isn't anything new from what I've seen.

47. Challenger3985

I know, I was more or less comparing between both TSC and TSW versions. Not saying the rolling stocks included are new, as they are completely reused as usual.

48. redrev1917

It's less than a tenner, I wouldn't expect any new locos and the price is a fair reflection that it's a reskin

• Like Like x 3
  49. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan of things like the Holiday Express – Runaway Elf add-on. I know it's supposed to be fun, but I'd rather the effort have been spent into DLC, like rolling stock, which could provide freshness to existing routes - especially considering this is meant to be a realistic train sim. :|

• Like Like x 4
  50. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Apparently skyhook did most of the work while the special projects team provided some assistance. And let the devs have some fun with their stuff at least. And there's already a lot of things that many people would say is unrealistic. Like the atsf f7 and br blue locomotives in wcl or stuff like that

• Like Like x 1