Weekly Winning Contest Pictures Thread?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by unionpacificfan, Nov 16, 2022.

1. unionpacificfan

unionpacificfan Well-Known Member

Why are there no thread like this which you can see former winning pictures during the year?

2. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

A link to each thread could be lovely, then a direct link to the winner is an option.

It's a bit of a restrictive concept. Each thread has a lot of great pictures and I wouldn't discount them just because they are runner ups. Also, winners are very subjective, and many aren't part of the community (not speaking, not appreaciating others). None of this matters if you visit the original threads and give thumbs up to those you like.

The unofficial threads are much better for having a full podium of three, sometimes even more pictures. There's room to have different styles there.
    Given how restricted these forums are - unless registered, you can only see thumbnails - a public Facebook group would be better. That said, people there tend to express the low fidelity of TS graphics, either promoting TSW in the process or just being negative.

A couple years ago someone created such a thread. Anyone can download and reupload the pictures.
    I can definitely put together a thread with the links if people think it would be helpful.

Not sure it would. Activity over the last year has dwindled massively, posts barely receive a few likes and creators just silently left. Many people also just advertise TS improvement products.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Yeah think its something maybe will do at the start of next year so we can have the winners from each week on there.

4. archibaldmarston

archibaldmarston New Member

I need a list which updates the former winning pictures during the year.

5. IronBladder

IronBladder Well-Known Member

The unofficial screenshot competition isn't particularly broad in its subject matter. There are some exceptions, but mostly it's the Armstrong Powerhouse modern UK screenshot competition.

6. triznya.andras

It was broader, but there is some significant bias by the participants, acting as a selection process.
    Each person has some preferences, which is perfectly fine, but it also results in creating a thematic (and execution) bubble.
    That said, they are trying to be fair, even new members can win if they offer something nice. If only they'd show up ;)
    There are also some politics involved, and of course 3rd party enhancements became a participation prerequisite.
    So I don't think it's intentional. However when I mentioned the same, I was shunned. But I'm outside their clique anyway.

7. Craigie-C

Craigie-C Well-Known Member

The unofficial comp could be broader in it's subject matter if more folks joined in with a broader spectrum of offerings.
    It is down to the judge of the week to choose whatever theme he/she wishes, could be literally anything, this week for example is freestyle.
    You can't get much broader than that.
    Most of us try to chose non-specific themes, hopefully to entice any one from anywhere around the globe to participate.
    The themes so far this year have been:-
    1. Freestyle
    2. Rescue
    3. Remember When
    4. Oh No!
    5. Scrap / Scrapyards
    6. Rush Hour / Lots of Trains
    7. Driver View
    8. Bridges
    9. Billboards & Signs
    10. Sunrise / Sunset
    11. Freestyle
    They seem pretty broad to me.
    What themes would you suggest?
    Sadly If the same regular competitors are all into AP modern kit then that is what you are going to see.

Couldn't agree more. I would love to see many more take part from all around the globe to widen the scope of what subject matter we are given to judge on. Bring on CZ routes and Locos for example, or maybe even more of the UK routes such as the Dorset Coast etc. from GAD, they are just stunning.
    You could then introduce the likes of CW /DT / SSS etc. locos and running stock, there is just so much out there and that is what I personally would like to see encouraged, but if nobody posts these type of shots then the world stays the same.
    You have to be in it to win it, or possibly change it.
    That is the whole purpose of the thread, it was solely launched as an alternative to the official DTG comp for us all to share the amazing 3rd party enhancements, that are available to us all, anywhere in the world but are discluded from the official comp.
    Whether it be from Railworks America or 3DZug or Virtual Railroads etc...... or the amazing RWE Re-shade, AP Weather / Signal / Track packs, all are welcome, but not mandatory.
    Must admit a standard Vanilla TSC shot might struggle to win, as that is not what the comp was designed for.
    If you wish to use standard Vanilla then the official comp is possibly the better choice of the way to go.
    On saying that if the Subject Matter / Viewing Angles / Use of Depth of Field / Use of the Rule Of Thirds / Lighting etc. hit the mark it would certainly get my vote as Judge of the week.
    The rules I set myself when acting as judge is:-
    1. Does this shot meet the standard criteria of a good photograph?
    2. "Would I like to see that framed and hanging on my wall?"
    If the answer is yes to both then it gets my vote.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
  8. Craigie-C

Craigie-C Well-Known Member

Totally agree with you on that subject, week in week out there are some amazingly good shots that miss out and don't get the final vote.
    A link to past threads in some form of database would be nice as we could see all the offerings not just the winner.
    Thanks for the feedback on that, it is something that just evolved over time and was never a consideration in the original concept but seems to be a likeable addition.
    I feel it gives appreciation to more than just the winner for taking the time and effort to contribute, and the acknowledgment of just because you did not win does not mean you are any less a contributor.

• Like Like x 1
  9. triznya.andras

I have a semi-solution coming above this post, waiting for moderator approval for one of a few possible reasons.

10. triznya.andras

Hmph, apparently the moderators didn't like a post with a link to each of the threads. Not sure why, but oh well! (Or they have a limited amount of time to approve. Or it might appear later and just disappears for me as well.)
    Let it be forgotten then.
    Practical advice, can use the search function at the top to look up threads.

11. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

I strongly disagree. The themes vary quite a bit and there about as broad as possible. We try to never limit the theme to a specific country or developer. It's just most people in the unofficial contest use AP because they can't use it for the official contest, and its just the locos they enjoy. But often you do see other countries and other types of locos and recently it has been a nice variety but I do wish for some more. I try and change my shots up a little by attempting to do a different country for each submission, but its really only USA and UK I admit but I have acquired some German routes recently and I hope I can get some screenshots with those I can submit! :D

What do you mean by significant bias? Like favouring a certain person, developer, country, etc? I have my preferences like you mention but I always try and be fair as I can possibly be. I do not really care for specific rolling stock in a screenshot, it can be whatever loco, route or developer you want to use and I will be fine with it. Just has to be 2 requirements for me, has to look good and be appropriate to the theme in some way. I would not say that enhancements has to be a pre-requisite, I enjoy several default stock submissions that I have seen win a couple times so it is possible but I will admit definitely harder if you don't use enhancements! I for one would like to see you submit some more screenshost to the contest triznya.andras, I like your screenshots and you have a good variety from what I have seen in the regular screenshot thread!

I appreciate seeing the feedback for the unofficial contest, there is always ways that it can improve and would be awesome to get some more people contributing each week!

12. triznya.andras

First and foremost, theme, but there might be some personal camaraderie as well.

Such as many people have a huge preference for steam, but the so-called Worldwide Railfan Productions has 90% of its posts showing off US big diesels. While I comment on it, others simply admit it's not their thing (whatever it is) and just bail out. Said Facebook page, US posts get about 10x reactions compared to a sad European train. Of course they'll post US big diesel. Just a funny name that way.
    Many people openly admit to it, at least from a producing perspective. Like how Buynot usually shares something from the US.

It gradually became a thing (or at least a feeling) that AP stuff is going to win. Possibly innocent positive feedback loop - some AP fan wins, then prefers AP offerings, of course isn't binary but you get the point. As such, I personally got really bored of the Class 37. And on principle dismiss AP - I often feel that otherwise mediocre shots are carried by the fact that the livery is of a higher resolution and shaded better. I'm judging the shot, not the AP product.

Like how Craigie mentioned, if you look at my first shot from the current (official) comp, it's fairly dark and it cannot get better, except I could mod my game (which is a cheat, isn't it) or use exact noon at the expense of losing the warm tone and shadows. If anyone has a preference for bright shots, then RWE is hard required for them. Add this all up, and you end up with what I wrote earlier. I am convinced I cannot compete with the TSC equivalent of Photoshop, so just setting myself up for disappointment. Can't lose if I don't try. (Nor win, but I tried.)

Similarly, while I use trains as a "foredrop" for my pictures, otherwise aiming to capture scenic, colorful stuff, many people just enjoy a train occupying 90% of the pixels.

That all said, these threads were (are) inspirational, and between a couple things I did myself (keeping fewer shots, automatically increasing the quality threshold) I'm much happier with my recent shots compared to those I took years ago. I actually had a session on the SDJR with very acceptable shots, which I can't say about my old ones.

13. westcastlerail

westcastlerail Active Member

Personally, I don’t like the in game screen shots that are visible when loading a scenario. They mostly look so basic and cartoon like, and do not represent what I see in game (which is a lot better with the enhancements).

I did enter a screenshot competition a few years back, and seem to remember got negative comments so did not bother again.

To switch off all the graphical enhancements just to get a screenshot would be quite dangerous thing just in case of breaking something in fragile TSC.

So if the competition is only open to those few who run the game in the default state then it’s no wonder they keep winning all of the time and the same names keep appearing on the loading screen.

Prehaps time for a relaunch of the screenshot feature so more users feel inclined and welcome to enter!

14. triznya.andras

That's the purpose of the "unofficial" threads. :)
    You can install TSC twice, once default and once enhanced, especially useful if Steam verification keeps messing up your mods.

I like to think default shots can be nice. If you click my link below and check every 5th (1, 6, 11...) I hope you find those fair enough. Those are the fresh ones, Class 158 recently. As for the cartoonish, I accepted it, and even like it to an extent. Given the rest of the game isn't always high fidelity either.

I appreciate good enhanced shots, though, such as those by Blazin on Hagen-Siegen were truly nice.

There is a lot of leeway with default. Factory scenarios tend to use various weathers and times of day which adds to the immersion, such as a run at dusk or during a hailstorm. For juice, you'd have to match the livery, setting, season, route, weather, angle, zoom level, plus the additional subjects. The winning screenshots are all over the place, some wonderful, some barely mediocre.

As others noted, it's hard to judge photos while dismissing enhancements, so enhancers would nearly automatically win, plus some would argue it's false advertisement in that the game doesn't actually look like that.

15. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Other AP products are available ;)

16. Pookeyhead

Feel free to join and broaden our horizons :)

17. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Might as well just can both contests and leave the regular screenshot thread up. At least no one will complain then.

18. Pookeyhead

There are no complaints in the unofficial screenshot thread. We've only ever had one spoil sport, and that was quickly dealt with. It's a nice friendly competition where everyone doesn't take it quite so seriously.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
  19. Pookeyhead

The one that just won this week's unofficial screenshot looks like it isn't using any enhancements. If it is, they are very subtle. That happens quite regularly actually.

20. triznya.andras

Just to spite me! :D :D :D
    I get its a friendly pookey :)
    Seriously though, DTG did a good job with more recent routes, with better color and light choices.
    I mean, this is an almost optimal vanila shot. 2-Cloudy, Summer, 11am.
    20230315215952 - Class 158 CT, Scenery River.jpg
    Fluff fact, that's why I have an unhealthy bias when picking for shooting and eventually opting to have runs like the above. This specific picture made it. (First col is unsorted, third sorted pictures.)
    upload_2023-3-18_20-48-4.png