PC Harlem Line, Is This Real Life?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Rudolf, Nov 26, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

20221126090247_1.jpg

This is the ONLY exit entrance point for passengers I see at this platform in Grand Central terminal. No elevator, only a very narrow staircase. Is this realistic or is this DLC just an unfinished product? Also the platform is completely empty. Not anything of the usual stuff you would expect. Advertisements, signs, waste baskets and so on.

• Like Like x 1
  2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Sadly I fear it was another rushed to release effort without proper evaluation and QA testing. Aside from the issue you highlight, there are the game breaking red light issues and the M3 obstacle deflector buried in the top of the railhead. Neither of which I expect to get fixed anytime soon.

• Like Like x 3
  3. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Well grand central terminal of harlem line reminds me more of grand central cemetry. Thats since release and was back then a major discussion point. People noticed in the preview stream that the station looks unfinished.
    Other players were dreaming dtg would create the upper section with the big hall too ;).

Despite that and the route ends not at southeast, i enjoy the dlc. They created a nice change from the big city into the rural areas.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ixofxiii

ixofxiii Well-Known Member

thats pretty normal there. very few platforms have an exit to GC North (the name of the 47th street exits on the north end of the platforms). Im assuming some here havent been to GCT. I use to work near and went to high school near there. Still use the station occasionally. But thats pretty normal for there. Remember, many of these lines are based on years ago too (see LIRR). There may be new infrastructure due to the new Grand Central Madison (East Side Access-LIRR service to GCT) but none of it will directly link the LIRR to teh MN platforms like this with multiple levels in between. ADA access will be thru the rest of the station. But yeah, thats totally realistic

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  5. bdlaplaca

bdlaplaca Member

Echoing previous replies, yes this is how the platforms are pretty much in real life! In reality on that track there is a single staircase/ramp up to the concourse and an additional stair, open only on weekdays, near the other end. Most of the platforms have a wide ramp instead of a thin staircase that allow direct access from the south end of each platform to the main hall.

Also true to life, people don’t usually wait on the platform. Since it’s a terminal, the trains open their doors 20 minutes before departure and people just sit on the trains themselves and wait.

There is a lack of trash cans along each platform and departure boards in game, but those departure boards have only been placed on the platforms in the past 3-4 years.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

The stairs are realistic. it is. Most people don't wait on the platforms either. Usually you wait in the concourse area or if the train is already there, you would just board and wait for it to leave.

What isn't realistic is the lighting. The station is too dark in game. The light would reflect from the trains in the station in real making them nice and bright but in game the trains are too dim. Also the platforms aren't that squeaky clean real life

• Like Like x 1
  7. owenroser19

owenroser19 Well-Known Member

that’s probably a licensing thing, they can’t go making stations dirty as it wouldn’t go down well with the train operators

8. tallboy7648

I highly doubt that is the case

• Like Like x 1
  9. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Its the same with the wethering of trains. I have never see anything official and since racing games do crashes and dirt on licensed cars I always assume these "oh they only allow clean trains/stations" is a myth we get told or tell ourselves.

10. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the terms of the license really. If they want a pristine train and that's the terms of the license, then the train has to be pristine. They might do slight weathering, but maybe tocs don't want their trains to be depicted as dirty/worn down cuz of bad image really? Idk. But it's probably due to the licensing agreements

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Thank you for all answers. I'm glad I do not have to use this line. I think the stairs are pretty dangerous, especially when a fully loaded train arrives. If for any reason there is panic, this will be disastrous. I really do not understand why this even is allowed in a civilized country that is leading the world in technology.

12. ixofxiii

ixofxiii Well-Known Member

Most passengers head to the southern end to exit. About i would say 95% of a train's passengers, especially hen the train itself may not be long enough to reach there. All trains end at the bumper block. A lot of the longer New haven trains depart from the lower level. Also remember that GCT was built in the early 1900s

13. bdlaplaca

bdlaplaca Member

I will also say in real life, the ramps are generally wide enough to not cause a giant fire hazard. Yes, people bunch up and crowd the ramp naturally but it’s not usually a standstill. The real fire hazard in my opinion is penn station with even thinner platforms and stairs!

14. NateDogg7a

NateDogg7a Well-Known Member

Yes I second this, NYP is terrible with its narrow stairways. Also, unlike GCT, all passengers crowd onto the stairs when the track is announced. Don't know if "new" Moynihan train hall improved things or not since I haven't been to NYC in years, but I doubt it could have helped very much.

• Like Like x 1
  15. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Yet they included rats!

• Like Like x 2
  16. tallboy7648

Moynihan hall did improve with the overcrowding at penn station but the escalators that enter the platforms are still narrow. But there are some staircases at penn station that are wide

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  17. nepclassof84

nepclassof84 Well-Known Member

At grand central and Penn station you can’t wait on the platforms. They don’t allow people down until the train is there and ready to board.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. lupojohn

lupojohn Active Member

What track is this?

Living in Manhattan, I can tell you what that actually looks like.

19. MAX1319

MAX1319 Well-Known Member

even with the defects, the harlem line is one of my favorite routes. I hope they have learned from it and take the next US route further. Hoping for some type of NEC trenton to Penn or Penn to Stanford.