Stuttering/low Fps After Entering The Seat

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by striker9, Sep 10, 2022.

1. striker9

striker9 New Member

Hello,
    I have the problem that shortly after sitting in the loco I have very poor FPS performance. I also see that the GPU clock goes very low after a few minutes and only goes back up to 100% when I leave the seat or go to the main menu.
    When I walk around freely on the train, I have >90 FPS. Does anyone have the same problem? It is affected on all routes/locos.

CPU: i5 12600k
    RAM: 32GB 3200Mhz
    GPU: RTX 3090

2. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Yeah, it’s just part of game, when you first jump into any train and move camera it’s awful. Been like it for 5 years now

3. striker9

striker9 New Member

Yeah but... it s almost unplayable with 28FPS? In TSW2 the drops were not so intense. Is there any way to keep the FPS constant? I dont want to return the game.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
  4. striker9

striker9 New Member

Too bad. Since the game is so poorly programmed, then I will have to return it via Steam and stick with TSW2. Thanks for the answer.

5. dudders

dudders Well-Known Member

This also happens on playstation 5 for about 3 or 4 minutes sitting in the cab the fps is low and then all of a sudden its lovely and smooth

6. PuuvillaneMats

PuuvillaneMats Member

That's because TSW (or Unreal Engine) game engine is based on old technologies. I'm talking about in-game data streaming. It's heavily outdated technology, really. We are using multi-core processors now over 20 years but TSW (UE) is still not programmed to use seemless data streaming. All this annoying stutter is coming from data streaming which is not multi-threaded. For loading data from hard drive other processes will be stopped until new tales or objects get loaded into RAM (memory). To avoid too long stops in gameplay the loading process has been divided into smaller portions. For example some modern PCI gen. 4 SSD can transfer data even faster than 7000 MB/s and this will reduce stutter caused by data reading. But it doesn't eliminate the problem itself. The only solution can be to rewrite completely data management part of the program. Unreal Engine seems not to be right enough platform for simulation game like TSW. Because first person shooters don't need large data streaming options. That's my opinion.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
  7. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

I strongly suspect this to be a CPU bottleneck as the game is trying to crunch through a lot of data about the new train. Bring up task manager and look at the load of individual CPU cores to see if there's really just one pinned at 100% during that time. Also note if it's not running on one of the E cores as these are supposed to be low-powered and therfore don't have the full performance.

8. twix

twix New Member

Last two posts are clearly written by people who don't know what they are talking about.

The issue TS is talking about is the same I also experience: as soon as I enter the driver seat, FPS is halved. Literally.
    I look at the window - 60 fps (vsync is on). I enter the driver seat and look at the same window - 30-42 fps. I exit the driver seat and still look in the same direction (to make sure that that's not some crappy asset causing this issue) - 60 fps again.
    There's definitely something wrong with the driver mode. CPU utilization does not change. GPU utilization changes though - it looks like the game engine is not feeding enough frames to GPU to render, so GPU frequency starts jumping from medium load to idle.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
  9. dudders

dudders Well-Known Member

So why is dtg not looking at this. Why so many years.

10. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

Buy a 4090

11. chieflongshin

oh dear, we have another one of these posts, maybe just suggest they buy a 5090 next year?

12. maxipolo12

Or a 6090ti

13. twix

twix New Member

This may sound strange, but after switching to DX12, FPS is not getting halved in driver mode any more.

P.S. Infrequent stutters are still there though. Even when the train is not moving. So it does not seem to be a tile/chunk/asset loading issue. Game engine garbage collector maybe? But that's a topic for another discussion.

14. chieflongshin

My FPS is significantly smoother under DX12. I bizarrely found that uncapping FPS seemed to improve it as well. I'm not sure if the GPU just works better but when i was capping at 65fps it was all over shop. Uncapping I'm between 90-120 most the time (with only SOS breaking the back of it).

15. twix

twix New Member

VSync is the only thing that's capping my FPS at 60, and with DX12 enabled everything seems to be really smooth (except for occasional stuttering) even on the highest possible settings and 200% screen resolution. TAA still sucks though.

I think I'll wait for RTX 6990 XTX3D TI.

16. chieflongshin

From my own experience I would say dx12 seems to have done a lot.

17. DX 12 Makes the game look yuk and i just had it on and put game unlimited fps and it drop my frames down from the cap 65 i had it to 42fps and im on a 3060 12gb i711700k 11gen high end pc sorry but trust me 5 years plus on TSW i know what im talking about dont use it

18. twix

twix New Member

DX12 in TSW3 adds kinda blue-ish tint to everything at day time, probably overdoing ambient lighting. That's the only difference I can see if I try really hard. One should be able to fix that through engine.ini tweaks, if he is really bothered. I am not. And I am happy that DX12 also fixes FPS halving in driver mode.

As for your 3060 having issues with DX12 - are you sure it is using all 16 PCIe lanes it should?

19. oporopolist#1682

oporopolist#1682 Member

I use "-DX12 -NOTEXTURESTREAMING -USEALLAVAILABLECORES" in another UE4 game that had similar issues. Never tried it with TSW.

20. twix

twix New Member

I've disabled texture streaming via engine.ini parameter some time ago, and that seems to have improved stuttering a little bit. At least back then, when I had RX 6600 XT, which only uses 8 PCIe lanes, and data bandwidth is somewhat limited.
    -useallavaialblecores command line argument does not seem to do anything. At least I didn't see any changes with or without it - TSW always seems to be using all twelve threads of my CPU and overall utilization stays in 35-50% range.

As for the topic of this thread, I noticed that even with DX12 the frame time graph is not flat in driver mode. Every ~1.5 seconds game engine does something that halts the whole game for a brief moment. I assume that has to do something with route "pinging" for upcoming signals and speed limit changes, because that data is needed for driver's HUD. I don't understand why this cannot be performed in its own thread... Although being that poorly implemented, I see now why TSW does not have a track profile in the HUD like other train simulation games do.

21. maxipolo12

I just drove Ruhr line yesterday and was another time surprised to not having any stuttering.
    The map is detailed but maybe less then Dresden Riesa ans there are less AI too.
    But damn it's so more enjoyable than the other newer lines just because of this.
    I see personally an increase of stuttering on the newer lines.
    MSP is pretty nice at this point too.

But in core I do not understand why. Quality of assets? Number of assets? Number of AI? Density of the map all around? Are maybe all these points together

SKW is by me awful for example. Not a lot of AI trafic. A lot of assets. Maybe too much too (trees on the tunnels that can not be seen on first view Person!) And sometimes useless.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  22. twix

twix New Member

Reinstalled TSW3 via Xbox app on PC, and in that version driver mode is completely stutterless.

23. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Yea, there are many reasons why there would be stuttering and performance issues. As routes get more detailed, more assets, busier, use more features, get larger, etc, it tends to give lower performance. At least that is what I'm experiencing. Lots of the older tsw2 and tsw2020 routes run better. Dtg are still doing performance optimizations but it might be a while until we have a smooth game

24. maxipolo12

Wut

25. twix

twix New Member

Yep. Probably there was something wrong with previously installed version. I have access to TSW3 via Xbox game pass, and that's where I installed it from. So I uninstalled it and installed again. And - bam! - No stuttering. Maybe this issue had been fixed already, and I just needed to update the game (and probably uninstall process also removed and recreated settings files).

Also yesterday I Bought TSW3 for steam on G2A, installed and ran it - driver mode works just fine. Maximum settings, DX12, texture streaming disabled. TAA still awful, so I'm using FXAA and 200% screen percentage.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2022