Wcml Or Ecml

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by pessitheghost, Nov 30, 2022.

1. pessitheghost

pessitheghost Well-Known Member

Which mainline do you prefer ??

2. Lil jj

Lil jj Well-Known Member

The East coast Mainline

• Like Like x 3
  3. pessitheghost

wcml for me, better sidings , freight and rolling stock

4. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

The ECML is better in every way.
    Also the people who work and live along and on the ECML are much better!!;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. pessitheghost

I like both but i prefer the wcml because it’s closer to me, and i grew up around it and obviously the amazing freight, the amazing sidings, yards and depots and the 390s

6. matt#4801

Fair-dos the same goes for me with the EC as I have literally lived no more than a few hundred yards from it (bar 3 years in the late 80s) with a few of my houses including my childhood home backing directly onto it and since the 80s I have also been lucky enough to work on it all my railway life (again excluding 3 years in the late 80s) so completely understand why you say WC is better.

Another reason why the ECML is better is because it is faster and everyone knows that speed is the solution to every problem!!;)
    To be fair I don't know whether you'd remember but the old electric class 8xs but they were very quirky and suited the WCML, though I don't think they could never get the edge on the EC 91s and HSTs in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  7. pessitheghost

91s are legendary trains, i really wish the wcml got them or better yet the apt project didn’t fail, the apt is still my favourite train

• Like Like x 2
  8. matt#4801

I do love the 225s and still got a few more years in them, though in all honesty they are starting show their age. The ATP project was a good concept but came at the wrong time really.

• Like Like x 1
  9. pessitheghost

The apt would’ve revolutionised travel as we knew it, tbh i miss intercity days. really wish the whole british railway could be renationalised

• Like Like x 2
  10. matt#4801

The APT would have been an absolute game changer. As for nationalisation I can't comment as I don't want to risk loosing my job because I do enjoy it and the wife wants a new car!! What I can agree with is that I too miss the intercity days with the beautiful BR blue diesels and electrics everywhere and generally the 80s in general as life just seemed much simpler back then.

• Like Like x 2
  11. pessitheghost

i really enjoy LNER services, went on a 91 to leeds, was very good to be honest. LNER has the best customer service i must say

• Like Like x 3
  12. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

ECML since my dad went on a Class 91 IC 225 Kings Cross to Waverly back in the 1990s to early 2000s.

• Like Like x 2
  13. TSW Nathan

TSW Nathan Well-Known Member

West Coast Mainline. I see penolinos alot and I am local to the WCML. :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I would lean toward the WCML since it’s my local, and contains the APT at Crewe.

The only thing I like about the ECML is the 91’s, other than that I think WCML has stock advantage.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TrainGeek08

TrainGeek08 Well-Known Member

Gotta be the WCML, the Pendos say it all, tilting through diverse landscapes :love:

• Like Like x 1
  16. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’m more familiar with the WCML in real life, having travelled on the southern half of it many times but I have driven the ECML in another train simulator. I’d have to say that the WCML would win for me. I’d like to drive it both in the days of BR blue and with the Pendo. For TSW I’d like to see both routes in some form or another. We’ve already had a section of WCML with steam, and I think we can fully expect both WC and EC to appear within the next couple of years. For the ECML, anything other than a Deltic and HST combo would be a bit of a disappointment. I’d wager that the next iteration of TSW will come with one of the two routes in the base route bundle.

17. pessitheghost

i prefer the intercity swallow era on the ecml, i would love a 90s ecml, when things were freshly electric

• Like Like x 2
  18. Lil jj

Lil jj Well-Known Member

More specifically, in the ECML, the northern section of the line is definitely the best, WAY WAY WAY more scenic (especially near berwick) and imo better and harder trains to drive in the those regions in Cumbria and north/south Yorkshire

• Like Like x 1
  19. matt#4801

Yes it's absolutely stunning and the scenery across the whole route never fails to please.

• Like Like x 1
  20. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

ECML

To memory only been on the northern most section of the ECML, and found its coastline scenery enjoyable.

edit: my most local line is also a diversion route for ECML so theirs the local nostalgia aswell (Newcastle to York Via Durham Coastline)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  21. pessitheghost

the WCML over shap is one of the most beautiful parts of the railway that i’ve seen in my lifetime , it really is mesmerising

• Like Like x 2
  22. tft#6439

tft#6439 Well-Known Member

Ecml

• Like Like x 2
  23. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

West Coast Mainline. There's far more variety rolling stock wise now that IETs rule the rails on the ECML. Pendolinos and Voyagers have more character, not to mention the 350s and the plethora of multiple units to be seen in the Northern section.

I also don't think there's a section of the WCML that's as dull as York- Newcastle on the ECML. The ECML North of Newcastle is undoubtedly beautiful but not as much as the northern section of the WCML imo.

The ECML is undoubtedly great, but I think people focus too much on how fast it is. Memories of A4 Pacifics, Deltics and HSTs breaking records down Stoke Bank. Straight and fast is great but it doesn't have as much personality. The WCML is more interesting to me, the way it winds it's way around country, as well as the places it serves. Not to mention the iconic climbs of Grayrigg, Shap and Beattock. I'd kill to be behind a Duchess attacking those inclines, perhaps more than an A4 powering down Stoke.

• Like Like x 1