Train Sim World 3 Extend Existing Routes Instead Of New Ones

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by rsmokinjoe#6809, Nov 24, 2022.

1. rsmokinjoe#6809

rsmokinjoe#6809 New Member

I would really like DT to take a similar path of American Truck Sim and instead of adding completely new routes with DLC, extend or add to existing routes, make the maps larger with each DLC. Not only that, add new locos as well. Add passenger rail, Amtrak, to the freight routes where applicable. Cajon Pass could be extended so much in each direction and make it much more enjoyable. San Francicso to San Diego and all the branches and yards and stops would be incredible! Longer trips as well, 2, 3, 4 hour single runs would be incredible, or even longer! They could even take this concept and add it to past routes, Horseshoe Curve and Sandpatch Grade would be excellent candidates for map extensions, but Cajon Pass would make more sense considering it is the newest content. Mix in UP with BNSF where it counts. Come on guys, give us this!!! Map extensions would make the game relevant for so many years!

As a side note, I like to see more "mixed" rail companies instead of every car having BNSF on it. (For TSW3)

Another side note: Add the ability to use custom liveries on any route, rail journey, etc...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 11
  2. TSW Nathan

TSW Nathan Well-Known Member

That would be great. And apply livery/liveries to all trains on route.

3. lucasfor49

lucasfor49 Well-Known Member

One issue - extentions don't exist - sehs wasn't an extension - it was a rebuild from the ground up. The livery idea though is an amazing idea.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. jack travers

jack travers Well-Known Member

No

• Like Like x 3
  5. TSW Nathan

Thank you very much for that very long and interesting reply. Anything else you'd like to add?
    XD

• Like Like x 5
  6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Most players only play for short periods of time in one go. Single trips lasting several hours would be a hinderance to gameplay rather than enhancing it. Extending any of the US freight routes, the examples used in the main post here, would add less variety to TSW than new routes for the vast majority of players. Only extending current routes and not making new ones, as the title and post suggests, would be the death of TSW. Imagine not having the slightest chance that your favourite route would ever be made because it doesn’t join up with any of the current routes. Imagine the prospect of nothing completely new ever coming to TSW. Players would be leaving in droves. The game would be irrelevant within a couple of years.

• Like Like x 5
  7. rsmokinjoe#6809

rsmokinjoe#6809 New Member

It has worked for ATS and ETS, map expansions with additional roads... Routes that take multiple hours to complete. Why wouldn't it work for TSW as well? The shorter routes would still be there for players with shorter attention spans. Give us some expanded routes that take longer for those of us who want a little more. DT is a large enough company, they can give everyone more options. I mean look, 10 year old DLC is still $35, they can develop both concepts.

8. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

When dtg only released dlc in the south of the uk (sehs, ecw, bml), many people complained of how it was only 1 region and only consisted of electrostars, etc. Remember there are other parts of the uk. There's the north, South and East that have to be explored. So only extending existing routes like your title said would just decrease variety cuz you wouldn't be able to create new routes in different regions. You would have to wait until the line gets long enough to each that destination which could be several hundred miles. I would like to see routes from different time periods. Like with the br blue routes, dcz, etc. If you extend current routes, you can only have the same time period as the route. So a modern route would need a modern day expansion. I don't want to see the same livery over and over again which could end up happening if you just extend the same route over and over. And you would less variety in trains cuz they might just reuse the same train over and over again.

In terms of longer runs, until the save game is 100% functional, I don't want it happening. The save game still causes problems and dtg are still fixing it. Unless you're planning to do it in 1 sitting which everyone can't do.

• Like Like x 1
  9. lucasfor49

Remember- trucks run on roads - trains run on track - there's more unexpectedness in trucking then driving a train.

• Like Like x 2
  10. jack travers

Yes

• Like Like x 2
  11. jack travers

But ATS and ETS aren’t 1:1 scale like TSW is. You can go from Like Portugal to Russia in like less than two hours while on TSW it would take a few days wouldn’t it ?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Woroszyl The NS 2000

Woroszyl The NS 2000 Well-Known Member

We. Need. THIS.
    (Obviously substituted from different routes like Cane Creek, Sand Patch Grade, Oakville sub and maybe even our own liveries!)

• Like Like x 1
  13. lucasfor49

Ehh.. Some ets2 mods make it a bit more realistic in scale but still yeah... amazing point

• Like Like x 2
  14. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The issue isn't the extension of the maps, it's how the timetables work for multiple linked DLC when people may have some or all of the DLC involved.
    Unless DTG can work out dynamic timetables which are generated as someone loads in you have to then think about how the system would need to be worked.

Think about if you had the following
    1 - Kings Cross to Peterborough
    2 - Peterborough to York
    3 - York local network

if someone only had DLC-1, no issue
    Add in someone else having DLC 2 as well then you'd need a new timetable to extend over both,as well as the original timetable, so you have 3 timetables.
    Add in the third DLC and you need SIX timetables to allow for people have any one base DLC, any two adjoining DLC or all three

So it's not really a simple thing to do

• Like Like x 1
  15. drnicktgm#1259

drnicktgm#1259 Well-Known Member

True, extending the Rhein Ruhr area would be great (for me as a German player). But also connecting Providence with New York including Acela express is also a nice extension

16. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

In principle I would like to see it, but effectively would have to be an all new route with a fresh timetable, unlikely you could just bolt on a new bit and have it all work. For the UK alone there are several possibilities:-
    GWE - extend to Oxford and add Thames Valley branches.
    Bakerloo - extend to Euston/Watford and add in the DC lines, maybe even North London line too.
    NTP - extend to York and/or Liverpool.
    TVL - extend to Boulby and Bishop Auckland.
    Cathcart - Add more of the south Glasgow suburban network.
    BML - London Bridge, more of the south London branch lines, Oxted Lines.
    East Coastway - extend to Ore and maybe Ashford.
    SEHS - push on to Ramsgate/Margate and add the classic route into Charing Cross.
    WCL - add the Falmouth branch, main line to Par and drop in the Newquay branch. Ultimately main line to Plymouth and all the branches.
    IOW - add the steam railway.
    WSR - through to Taunton though not in regular use.
    SoS - add the lines to Chester from Crewe and Liverpool. Extend north from Weaver to Preston, south from Crewe to Stafford and Rugby.

• Like Like x 4
  17. TSW Nathan

Sounds like a great list of things for DTG/other Devs to do. Sadly I don't think we will see many of them

18. Woroszyl The NS 2000

Woroszyl The NS 2000 Well-Known Member

This is what i want too. However, extending it to Plymouth and adding all the mentioned branches is perfect imo.

19. This is a great idea. To say it can't be done isn't true! Will dtg put in the work though? I doubt it. They said route merging couldn't be done on tsc but a wizard called Danny did it.

20. rennekton#1349

Technical challenges. Would have to remake the timetable which takes months. If there were 2 routes, there would be 3 separate timetables dtg would have to make (1 for each route, 1 merged). And depends on which routes you own and the game would have to know whether you own 1 or both. 3 routes (1 for each route, merged timetable for route 1&2, merged timetable for 2&3, another merged timetable for 1&2&3). You need 6 separate timetables and the game has to know which dlc you own and give you the appropriate timetables. So as you merge more routes together, you need more timetables which could cause consequences if not done properly.

Tsc doesn't have a timetable mode so less of a challenge compared to tsw. It is just scenarios for that part of the route. Obviously you can run from end to end for extensions/mergers. But you don't have to deal with multiple timetables.

21. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on the route. Obviously something like West Cornwall would be much easier as for the most part you are extending the existing services and adding self contained (apart from odd through workings or ECS) branch lines. At the end of the day that's why DTG employ skilled people like Joe who can do complex timetables and probably fairly quickly, too.

• Like Like x 1
  22. It can be done though is what I'm saying. And it can be done is what you are saying. So dtg make 3 separate routes with 3 separate time tables, sell the 3 separate routes as separate dlc, then they announce they can merge the 3 routes but at a cost of 29.99 because they have to create a new timetable for the merged routes and all the people that keep asking for route extensions or mergers are happy to pay the 29.99.

23. andyscotland

andyscotland Well-Known Member

It would be good if it could be made to work, for example, the gwr route mentions a route to Hereford in one of the timetables, so if you had that full route then a route between Hereford and BCC would be good and of course at the other end of the route you have London so they could all be joined together too.

24. neilwatson2007

neilwatson2007 Member

I'd like NTP to be extended to include Liverpool via Newton-le-Willows and to also go from Leeds to York allowing Liverpool to York trains mixed in with various local stopping and limited stops services plus any freight were appropriate

• Like Like x 4
  25. andyscotland

andyscotland Well-Known Member

That would be fairly good dlc I reckon, IF it can be spliced onto the existing route.

• Like Like x 1
  26. TrainGeek08

TrainGeek08 Well-Known Member

I think an extension to York could work but Newton-le-Willows gets my vote because services can start in Manchester Victoria to head towards Newton-le-Willows and it's Chat Moss :love: It could add more services to the HFP too :)

• Like Like x 1
  27. TSW Nathan

It gets my vote as well but I'd prefer it modern with class 158's, Class 170's and Class 800 Azuma's

28. TrainGeek08

TrainGeek08 Well-Known Member

Yep, me too ;)

• Like Like x 1
  29. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

Is this for real?

30. jack travers

Yeah, Lot’s off stuff in sehs was incorrect such as sidings, stations, tunnels, buildings, bridges etc So they basically had to remake the whole St. Pancras to Faversham then add the line to Dartford and Ashford.

31. rennekton#1349

Not really. They didn't change the track or the stations in believe. The ohle, environment, signaling/safety systems and timetable were the only things updated.

32. jack travers

I’m pretty sure Rainham and Sittingbourne got a little change for incorrect stopping posts because I remember people pointing it out and St. Pancras got a little upgrade but I wouldn’t say full rework and Ebbsfleet (obviously)

33. The same things that were missing in sehs tsw2 are still missing in sehs tsw3.

• Like Like x 2
  34. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I thought they relaid a fair amount of track, putting in superelevation etc?
    Not that the new stuff they built is "finished". Swanscombe station is awful

35. I remember matt saying something about replacing some curves because they didn't do it properly the first time.

36. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

You can also apply this to the Ruhrgebiet Bahnstrecke Hagen Finnentrop Siegen Ruhr Sieg Nord& Hagen Ennepetal Wuppertal Steinbeck Rhein Ruhr Osten. However it needs an extension to the main Freight yard which is Rangierbahnhof Hagen Vorhalle mit Ablaufberg DB Netz ÖBB Infra und SBB Infra terminology for a Railway Yard hump. Because a freight train from Wuppertal Steinbeck needs to be reassembled inside Rbf Hagen Vorhalle with another freight train that has Parts going to Wuppertal Steinbeck then the intersection actually going towards Finnentrop from Rbf Bremen Grörpelingen Grolland. When it comes to Schnellfahrstrecke Köln Aachen if extended Westwards to Belgium. The 21:39 departure from Aachen Hauptbahnhof is actually a locomotive swap service provided the international section is built the Belgian Railway line 37 Liege Aachen. Video of that service is is
    The way this will happen in game is that you need to own L37 Aachen Liege plus any route that has Siemens ES64U2 MRCE Dispolok DB Baureihe 182 which are Hamburg Lübeck SFS Hannover Würzburg & Bahnstrecke Leipzig Dessau. To carry out the operation in addition to an Intercity coach pack or DB City Nightline pack if made.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  37. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

What are you having? Cause I would like to have a bit of that so I can imagine the most impossible things as well......

38. Jay1986

Jay1986 Well-Known Member

Think it’s time DTG release a poll to see what their customers want. Extensions will never happen unless it’s profitable for DTG.

• Like Like x 1
  39. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

Peninsula Corridor extension to Gilroy and add a UP GP60 (and maybe an SD70M or C45ACCTE) for more freight action.

• Like Like x 2
  40. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Good idea and for the new route I can see being extended as an international route which is Oldenburg Leer Deutschland Niederlande Groningen 131 km when added to Bremen Delmenhorst Oldenburg 44 km 175 km 110 mi.