PC Lirr Graphics - False Advertising?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by LimitedEdiition, Nov 21, 2018.

1. LimitedEdiition

LimitedEdiition Well-Known Member

Looking back at the store page, I see that one of the images show window reflections for the train. Now I understand that most computers can't handle this, but I would assume that if you have the hardware to do so, you could also achieve this effect. However, I have cranked up everything to ultra graphics, and I am still not seeing this effect anywhere, even at night, whereas the image advertised takes place in the daytime. It kind of is misleading to show an image that cannot be achieved in the game, is it not?

Image in question: https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/ste...0b62ce7c330c07d2543bbfc5288c.jpg?t=1542736698

Store page where this originates from: https://store.steampowered.com/app/...d_Rail_Road_New_York__Hicksville_Route_AddOn/

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Puffing Nora

Puffing Nora Guest

This is on the WSR as I don't have the latest DLC. I have a mid range gaming pc, nothing special. Settings are not on ultra or anything like that. Note reflections in windows. Hope that helps your fault finding a little. 20181121211945_1.jpg

3. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

It is there, but you require the light from the correct direction, a darker background and move the camera, you won't see it when seated.
    Oh, and what ever you expect to reflect from a surface has to be on the screen, since its only screenspace-reflection.
    reflection.jpg

4. Shtirlitz-isaev

Shtirlitz-isaev Member

not reflected 20181122011632_1.jpg

5. nne4229

nne4229 Well-Known Member

It's false advertising, like others things. Amtrak in this route for example. I got refunded. Lively world of new york? What a joke.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  6. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Amtrak was never advertised to be a part of LIRR

• Like Like x 4
  7. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

The why is there a Amtrak train in the officials TSW LIRR screenshots? I did some service runs and scenarios, so far I did not have seen any Amtrak trains, no static or AI trains.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

There are static Amfleets in the last scenario.

• Like Like x 1
  9. giogurto_grande

giogurto_grande Active Member

Sounds to me that they were added on the last days of development, just to that one particular scenario.

• Like Like x 2
  10. GothicMatt

GothicMatt Active Member

Its because on NEC Amtrak run to New York Penn Station if you remember and now so does LIRR with the M7 so i dont see it as false advertising, Urgh

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  11. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

same

12. Alex01

Alex01 Active Member

its props without the acs-64

13. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

So you are complaining about a static Amtrak train not being at a station now ? Sorry, but this is just being very pedantic.

I can also confirm there are stationary Amtrak carriages at Penn station at the start of the last scenario as Anthony mentioned, which matches with the screenshot in the other thread (although that screenshot was from Atlantic Terminal -- Are you going to complain about that as well?)

I don't mean to come across as blunt, but it seems like people complain about the smallest things on here.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Mkdog45

I agree with you

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

That is because the displays are no lightsource even if they appear to be self lit, the have to have a direct light on them to be reflected in a dark window.

16. Mkdog45

I think that TSW is one of the best games I own and I don't know why it is getting so much had. You should
    remember that TSW is still young only 1 and a half years old and train simulator is over ten years old. So far I think all the route that have been made are great! That's not to say that it doesn't have any problems, because it does, like they still need to put the PIS in. But train simulator still has faults. I personal play on the PS4 and think that if you are have probl ms with graphics then you should try it on PS4 or Xbox. LIRR looks like it is going to be my favourite route and I hope they make Hastings to Tonbridge.

• Like Like x 2
  17. hightower

hightower Guest

I think the unfortunate truth is that whilst this game certainly looks better than TS2019 and can definitely have its spectacular moments, it is at least a generation (probably 2) off the pace in graphical terms. My personal opinion is that it probably sits around the end of the PS3 / Xbox One era, so a solid 5 years off what people expect in (almost) 2019.

I mention the console market as things have very much moved on there, and I believe the dev team really must address these core game issues as a matter of some urgency. Why? We all know that they, entirely reasonably, expanded this game onto consoles because it was another revenue stream which would help the development of the title. I predicted at the time that the console market would likely have immediate issue with the inherent bugs and dated graphical quality. You only need to spend 5 minutes looking at the console forums here to see how hacked off people are, and what they think of the graphics particularly.

There is so much in the way of competition out there that the more fickle console market will drop TSW as soon as the next big release comes along. Reading those forums it’s already happening. I believe the PC market is way more patient but I think even this is being tested. There are evident improvements since the beginning, but they are so damn slow to come and when one issue is fixed it seems to create more problems elsewhere (for example the latest patch - Class 43....train supply is fixed, but the indicator no longer illuminates).

These graphical glitches that have existed from day 1 are pretty unacceptable in a modern game. Poor draw distance, AA flicker when stationary, inconsistant, weird and unrealistic lighting, iffy rain effects (I’m thinking particularly RSN at night), odd and inconsistent shadows...the list goes on. I honestly think these must be addressed once and for all before the game gets so big they can’t be properly sorted.

That said, personally i’m at least enjoying the game again. The frustrations with it are ever present though - I really hope the message from this survey they’ve undertaken spurs them into sorting the core of this game out. It’s in all of our collective interests going forward.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  18. LimitedEdiition

LimitedEdiition Well-Known Member

The graphics engine isn't dated, it's the fact that it seems they always downgrade the graphics quality before release. It seems to be more of a gaming industries type thing, not really specific to TSW, but this is evident in the thread I posted about the window reflections seen on the LIRR Steam page, yet seem to be non-existent in the real game. There must be an Unreal Engine setting to enable live reflections, but whatever the reason is, they decide to remove it.

We can speculate what the reasoning is, and you have already have a few thoughts on whether or not features/AI services were removed to accommodate less power PCs or console parity, but I have no doubt that these downgrades are a conscientious decision made by the developers. It's also one of the reasons why LIRR service mode is so barren and empty. Seems like the calculations for the 24/7 service mode timetable was too much to handle for consoles/lower end PCs so they stripped it barren leaving only a handful of the network's service.

Personally I feel like there should be sliders for AI traffic and depending on how powerful the PC is, you have an option of choosing all of the possible AI or just a handful, that way console players and lower-end PC users still get to enjoy the route, while those of us with the appropriate hardware can enjoy a true to life bustling service mode, along with more robust graphical sliders. But it seems like DTG doesn't want to alienate those users, so they just blanket downgrade everything like what other game developers do. Once again not a fault of DTG per say, but it is more of an industry standard.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

You are 100% correct in everything you say here. There's no doubt in my mind that the content since CSX:HH has been scaled down somewhat to accommodate the weaker console hardware and why HH hasn't seen a console release (and maybe never will).

My hope is that when the dev tools are finally released and the modders have had a chance to play around with them, we may see some interesting content released which may show the true potential of the UE4 engine in TSW.

20. DANNYBOY2487

DANNYBOY2487 Active Member

there are amtrak trains in New York penn but they are static

• Like Like x 1
  21. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Wow - they scaled down CSX HH for consoles and it isn't available on consoles -- methinks the conspiracy theories are running amuck - If I remember correctly - when CSX HH was released there was quite an uproar over poor frame rates and heavy stuttering from the PC crowd with plenty of discussions of lack of optimization being thrown around -- nothing to do with weaker consoles.

• Like Like x 2
  22. GothicMatt

GothicMatt Active Member

Saying we are all hacked off on the console forums, maybe PS4 but not Xbox One as im certainly not hacked off so u cannot say everyone, PC Market more patience, your having a laugh, everyone seems more hacked off on the PC Forum than the console forums, Also the graphical glitches u seem to mention dont happen or seem to happen to me and im on Xbox One version

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  23. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Re-read my post ... I said "content since CSX:HH" - meaning everything apart from cxh:hh (ie the content which was also released on the consoles)

24. hightower

hightower Guest

Have you read the Xbox forum here? It would appear many people disagree with you. There are plenty of posts that express these sentiments.

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/xbox-one-x.12041/

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/framerate-comparision-xbox-one-x-xbox-one-s.13207/

You’ve also completely missed, or misunderstood, the points put across in the post. Also, when someone uses the term ‘everyone’ in that context, it doesn’t mean literally everyone!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2018
  25. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

You are correct - I did miss the "since" in your original post. I does put your comment in a different light

Though after having driven the new class 33 - I can't see much that was reduced for consoles on the locomotive. Many complain about the sterileness of the environment, but I harken back to flight simulators, they focused on the flight model and not the airports or animations of ground traffic, passengers etc. In X-plane it has only been in the past few years that airports have been getting some attention - prior to that, most secondary airports were nothing more than a runway, I am sure in time things will improve for TSW as they did in Xplane. Once an editor becomes available - I am sure third party and skilled enthusiast will rush in to fill the void, just like they have for TS2019, FSX, P3D and Xplane.

The shortness of routes is more on develop time requirements and the building up of needed assets according to discussions with Matt P during his live streams. While there are many shortcomings as many have listed - I see steady progress and improvement with each route released. Just like in Ts2019 - early routes from 2010 are very easy to pick out from routes released in 2018.

I agree that TSW is far from perfect, but it is showing improvement and is an enjoyable diversion from time to time. Just ran a service on Heavy Haul last night with the GP40 - queued up the a radio feed from CSX in a Virginia division from RailRoadRadio.net and had an enjoyable run through the mountains on a cloudy snowy afternoon. Will enjoy it more when they apply the newer Diesel-electric simulation to these locomotives as the did to those on the GWR, but knowing the quirks - still enjoyed the run listening to the live radio chatter.

Of course, I can only speak for myself, so I try to avoid using terms like most others or everyone. Anyway - wish all the best and hopefully if you are spending time in the simulation, that you are getting some enjoyment from it.

• Like Like x 4
  26. GothicMatt

GothicMatt Active Member

I read the Xbox forum all the time because im an Xbox One Player who owns Train Sim World and Euro Fishing and most of them are Xbox One S and X users where im the original Xbox One User, Xbox One X isnt as brilliant as they said it would be. And i got the everyone term wrong so I apologise

27. hightower

hightower Guest

No need to apologise!

If they were to create a PS4 pro & Xbox 1X enhanc,net that took advantage of the extra power you’d probably really notice it. For now though it won’t be hugely different, except maybe better FPS. I suppose my point was that there are many console users grumbling about the graphical state of the game.

• Like Like x 1