First Impressions Of Tsw3 + Feedback

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by markhazeldine, Dec 4, 2022.

1. markhazeldine

markhazeldine Well-Known Member

As a TSW2 and TSC owner, I was quite looking forward to TSW3. TSW2 Rush Hour was okay, but still felt like a WIP and TSC is definitely my main sim of choice still. I just managed to get TSW3 with the German starter pack in the sale, and here are my first impressions and feedback.

Overall, the new lighting, clouds and effects are great. The dynamic weather is great. the ICE1 and Kassel Wurzburg route is great. The SEHS extension is great. The new menu layout and the driver training stuff is great.
    Unfortunately there are still some massive disappointments (listed below in order of annoyance) preventing TSW3 from taking TSC's place as my main sim (I'm a PC user).
    1) Stuttering. OMG the stuttering is hideous. I don't have the most powerful PC, but it meets the minimum specs. I get constant small stutters every 10-30 seconds. It doesn't matter if the settings are on the lowest possible or maxed out, the stutters don't go away, and it's not just low FPS, it's pauses. I run the game off a SATA SSD, so if it's tile load stutter, that's quite disappointing.
    2a) Lack of third party controller support. I have loads of products from TS Controllers and only half of them work, half the time. 4 years after release, you should really have this by now!
    2b) Lack of consistency in keyboard mapping and systems working. I keep finding AWS is not activating when it should or some trains don't obey custom mapping while others do (395 horn for example). Also, please give us a setting to have safety systems on by default and stopping markers off by default. I'm not a newbie, I want to have things work like real life out of the box without having to change settings every time
    3) Scenery draw distance and "popping in". Even on everything maxed, I can see trees popping in all the time, shadows on the track and scenery in the distance seem to follow me. It's just poor.
    4) While the new lighting is better, it needs to be applied to older routes and it still acts weirdly. Cabs and interiors are often too bright compared to the exterior
    5) Sounds: They're much better than they used to be, but the 395 in particular is poor. Repeating rattles, no traction motor sounds. You need to go back and revisit sounds on older stock to bring things up to the modern standards.
    6) SPADs: Please give us a setting where we can continue on if we SPAD like we have in TSC. I know that in real life SPADs are serious, but even though I want to drive properly, sometimes distractions happen that cause a SPAD and if it happens right at the end of a really long drive, then I lose all that progress, it's really annoying.

There's probably more, but that's my brain dump after playing for a few hours.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I don't have answers for your first five issues ( none of us do, to be truthful, including DTG it seems ), but as for SPADS, perhaps develop the habit of saving your progress, say, every 10 minutes.

Save game is now on by default and works reasonably well. If you save periodically, you won't lose more than a few minutes of progress if you mess up.

Just hit " escape " then " save " on the pause screen at any time during your service run.

I've been doing this for years in both TSC and TSW.

There was also a kind of auto-save feature called " load last checkpoint ", but that seems to have been eliminated in TSW3. If you SPAD, it took you back to the last completed objective. But, since that could be quite far back, saving your progress works better anyway.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  3. markhazeldine

Yes, having save game back is good, but I still want a setting to turn off "SPAD kills game".

4. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, lighting will likely not come to older dlc. It is a massive amount of work and dtg said it would take like 2 years which means you couldn't see new content.

Sounds also have issues but older content won't be getting them cuz if they did, it would have been done it already. The problem with sounds is that it's tied to the physics. And trains with the newer sounds got their physics overhauled. So you change the sounds, you change the physics and then have to redo the timetable cuz it affects the timetable as well. So not a simple task of just copy and paste. If you keep the old physics then the sounds might sound off. Simply can't port it either depending on how old the dlc actually is. An example being the 1442 on rt and 442 on ska. The 1442 was soo old and how the dlc was built was different so it couldn't be ported over. They tried but no luck. And some sounds are hard to actually get it right unless they actually record the locomotive which they can't all the time.

And I think the dispatcher would freak out if you ran a red light and spadded. It's not dynamic after all. And for tsc, even though I turned off spads ends game, my game still ends if I spad. So how do I continue after a spad?

5. markhazeldine

You may be right, although many people have done sound patches in TSC without altering the physics, so I don't know if altering sounds HAS to mean a physics change, but it's possible that that could be a side effect. I don't realistically expect DTG to update all past DLC, but perhaps they could go back and re-look at some of the most popular and well-used units like the 395 and Electrostars.

6. dudders

dudders Well-Known Member

Welcome to tsw3 a complete mess of a game not played it now for 6 weeks. Buggy fps drops pauses strange looking in places like cartoon trees.

• Like Like x 1
  7. johnmcglade17

johnmcglade17 Active Member

What would make Southeastern high speed you'd better I would add the branch line of Ramsgate I will add Dover Priory and if I've got time I'm so the main to branch tango ad but if there's any time I would have added Sheerness the improvement I would make if we can get Dover and Ramsgate into Southeastern high speed that will be good your makes them eat a lot better

8. dan5324

dan5324 Active Member

You can’t hear the motor sounds from a 395 cab in real life so it’s pretty accurate tbh. What needs adjusting is the door sounds. They are way too loud, almost deafening. Ludicrous.

9. StrikeEagle78

StrikeEagle78 Well-Known Member

Oh yes. Welcome to the world of horrendous stuttering. Very little progress has been made against this issue since launch. DTG has acknowledged the issue at least. Like most big problems in TSW, I don't see a fix coming anytime soon and have mostly parked this game to the side since launch. No idea how this got past beta testing or if it was willfully ignored just to push the product out the door by a certain date to grab that cash. I'm thinking the latter as we've seen with a recent release 3 patches within a week of launch. Shows there is little to no proper quality control. But if sales are still good, DTG is rewarded for their lack of standards and that's what we will continue to see going forward. :|

• Like Like x 1