Finally A Ps5!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Sparmi, Dec 8, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

Hey guys I made my pre-order for the PS5 yesterday, just in time before they were all sold out again. That means I can switch to next gen from the end of January. On top of that there's also "God of War Ragnarök". Until then, DTG still has to get the addon manager ready, because thanks to the many comments in the forum, I know that addon Tetris is no fun.

I think this message is definitely worth a thread, since the PS5 was released two years ago and the delivery situation is still a gamble. But it's no wonder at all, because the world is currently reeling from one crisis to the next.

At TSW3 I'm looking forward to faster loading times thanks to the SSD, smoother frame rates, wider drawing distances, higher-resolution textures, longer trains and all layers. It doesn't really matter that I have to start again from score zero. What's more important is that I can retrieve my liveries saved in the Creators Club and already unlocked Mastery rewards can easily be reactivated.

Other PS4 classics will certainly look much better too. Provided games got a next gen upgrade, like Gran Turismo7 for example. It's a pity that Ace Combat7 didn't get an upgrade yet, probably because part 8 is already in full development. Some AAA titles are already being developed for 9th gen consoles only and 8th gen will slowly but surely be phased out.

Nonetheless I will probably keep my PS4 Pro as it is still a great Bluray player! ;)

• Like Like x 5
  2. Irish Train sim

Irish Train sim Well-Known Member

What exactly is this thread about?

• Like Like x 2
  3. jack travers

jack travers Well-Known Member

About Dublin Connolly getting exploded by a C4 in a dart train

• Like Like x 3
  4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Congratulations. Our PS4 has been resigned to being the TV box for BBC iPlayer and Netflix etc and never gets used for games now, except I very occasionally fire it up to play Peninsula Corridor in TSW2020, the only version of that route that works well enough for me not to throw a hissy fit at it. I also revisit NEC NY as well for a laugh.

I’ve just had to buy a new controller for the PS5 though because after just over a year it has become unusable due to extreme stick shift, a very common issue to look out for. Under UK consumer law I should be able to get a replacement (even if it is out of warranty) due to a realistic expectation from a reasonable person that the controller should last longer than that, but it was just easier to buy a replacement. I’ve got a three year ‘replacement warranty’ for the replacement so if that develops the same issue (or anything else) I’ll be able to get a new one without a battle of wits.

My PS5 also has the coil whine noise, which is another design flaw and if they weren’t so rare and hard to get hold of in the first place I would have returned it, demanding a silent one. As it stands, other than the controller I’ve had no other issues with it. It’s a great console.

• Like Like x 3
  5. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Maybe it's like a personal achievement and something worth celebrating for lol

• Like Like x 1
  6. seymourgoals

seymourgoals Member

Congratulations on getting a PS5, you'll find it hard to go back to PS4 now. The loading times for so many games are so much better on PS5

• Like Like x 4
  7. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

I was able to get my hands on a PS5 last year... Just. I've not looked back though. The one game I have issues with though is TSW3. Congrats on getting a PS5 though. I hope you enjoy it. Oh and invest in a charging port for your controllers as the battery life on them is horrendous.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Definitely one thing Microsoft got right there, with the XBox ones you just need to keep a few freshly recharged AA batteries and swap them any time it gets low.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

Congrats on getting a PS5! Be sure to try out Astro’s Playroom, the game that is bundled in for free with the console. It’s a charming little platformer that does a great job at showing how cool the controller is!

• Like Like x 6
  10. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Second that. I was blown away while playing that purely based on the fascinating features they've managed to put into the controller. And congratulations, Sparmi! I know the struggle of trying to get one well.

• Like Like x 2
  11. DigiTMCN

DigiTMCN Member

It's about someone that after all this time has finally managed to get their hands on a PS5.

Congratulations. When I got the PS5 I was amazed at the speed difference, also the quality of the games is amazing. Ragnorok is a true masterpiece of a game. Another game that is excellent on the PS5 is Horizon Forbidden West.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  12. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

Congratulations, enjoy it very much! :D

I've had it for over a year now and I'm very happy with it, I think it's excellent value for money. I've never used a pc for gaming, so I don't understand too much but I think to get ps5 features on a computer you would have to spend more money.

As for TSW, we have the DLC limit problem which I hope will be solved soon, and as for the performance.... well, I think it could be quite a bit better due to poor optimization but I'm afraid it's something common to all platforms.
    It's funny because I remember when the first version of TSW2 was released for the new generation it worked much better than it does now, it's a pity it's gotten worse.

What I like about ps4 is being able to enjoy all the layers and the extra AI traffic on some routes, especially HMA and LBN, higher image definition and very short loading times.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Princess Entrapta

I really hope it doesn't take too long for PS5 players to get the full experience we have on XBox and PC.That DLC limit is absolutely unacceptable. PS5 and Series X are nigh-identical hardware-wise so there's no reason for one to have it arbitrarily when the other does not.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

Yesterday's roadmap stream sounded pretty promising. Everything should be tested out by January and barring any other major issues, PS5 players will be the very first to get the update. The other consoles will follow a little later.

• Like Like x 2
  15. florians#7620

florians#7620 Well-Known Member

Nice one Sparmi! You will love it for sure. I had my first runs on PS5 today and to say that I am happy is an understatement. It certainly is a big difference to the PS4. Currently only have the German stuff installed, but will play some tetris soon to try my other routes as well. Look forward to full layers and long US freight trains!

• Like Like x 2
  16. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Congratulations on getting a PS5 and now you have access to the Gen 9 PC timetable on these routes Munchen Hbf-Augsburg Riesa-Dresden Bremen Oldenburg West Cornwall local SEHS Extended and Tharandter Rampe. This is followed by Longer trains on Cajon Pass Sherman Hill possibly Cane Creek and Horseshoe Curve. I am on the competing Gen 9 console Xbox Series X using an Xbox One 2017 controller.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  17. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

Yee-Haw she's finally here! A real PS5 that I only knew from pictures and stories because it was hardly available for the last 2 years. Pre-ordered on December 7th and shipped on February 16th. It's a pity that the timing with the finished Addon Manager didn't quite work out. I've only set it up so far and tried Gran Turismo 7, which automatically took over my PS4 savegame. The new dualsense controller from Sony is awesome, you immediately noticed that you were either on a gravel road or on asphalt. The ray tracing is also convincing. The biggest difference to the PS4 Pro is the fan noise or the hardly any noise. Because the PS5 is also based on a new liquid metal cooling, you hardly hear anything at all. So far my first impression. I thought I also needed a photo as proof, otherwise no one would believe it. ;)

PS5.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  18. florians#7620

The difference is night and day Sparmi. The first taste of TSW was incredilbe for me in December last year. The graphics, the full layers on many routes, so much more enjoyable!

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

Enjoy it sparmi!

If you want to see what the Dualsense can do, play Astro's playroom, it's short but you'll enjoy it a lot ;)

• Like Like x 2
  20. Princess Entrapta

Hope you're having a great time with it!

• Like Like x 2
  21. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Completely off-topic, but I have a similar couch in my living room. Just found that amusing :D
    Congratulations, Sparmi, the PS5 is a magnificent machine!

• Like Like x 1
  22. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Sparmi
    Herzlichen Glückwunsch! Enjoy and have fun with it.

I´d be happy to see some reports from your side, some comparison PS4 vs. PS5, maybe some before/after. I´m considering the same purchase, but for TSW only if this DLC limit soap opera gets to its final chapter.

• Like Like x 1
  23. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

Congrats! I have been waiting so long that I even had forgotten I still need to order one :D

• Like Like x 1
  24. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

...good idea I've thought about it too! A comparison between PS4 and PS5 graphics is certainly exciting to see. But first I have to install as far as possible and then see what comes across best.

25. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip, I can look in while the rest is still downloading. ;)

26. dudders

dudders Well-Known Member

Poorly optimized on ps5. I play the Ps4 version on ps5 plays a lot smoother and hardly any stuttering. I'm selling mine soon as I hear the xbox series x performance is a lot better

• Like Like x 1
  27. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

Hey Pipe and all other console players,
    made a little comparison of two routes in TSW3, to show the general differences between 8th gen and 9the gen graphics. I think you can see all the important details, and 9th gen also has all the train layers and longer trains available. So it can easily keep up with current PC graphics and is also a cheaper alternative.
    I've only briefly played a few TSW3 routes so far, but I'm completely thrilled. In other words, investing in a better console, be it a PS5 or Microsoft's S or X consoles, is definitely worth it. For all those who still have to wait because there are still supply problems, Gen 8 graphics are still on a very good level, even if long loading times and fan noise are annoying. ;)

PS4 vs. PS5.jpg

PS4 vs. P5 b.jpg

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  28. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Thanks, Sparmi, for that detailed feedback. Very appreciated! :)
    I´ll keep this in mind, the graphic differences are quite evident, indeed.

• Like Like x 1
  29. florians#7620

For German players, München-Augsburg really comes alive with the layers on the PS5. I hardly played this route on PS4, but I am really liking it now. - Same to an extent goes for Brighton Mainline. It was super busy on PS4, but now with the layers, the immersion increased so much. One of mt favourite routes now.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  30. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

I´ve alwasy asked myself if the famous cityline from Munich isn´t visible for PS4 players or if it just isn´t there?
    And ideed, BML around Victoria is a horrible, virtually unplayable slideshow on my PS4.

upload_2023-2-20_7-14-50.png

31. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent comparison there and if you plug in a PS5 on a 1080p TV like my 2007-2012 Sony HD TVs you still get the Gen 9 results. I do see this on the Xbox series X which I use.

32. florians#7620

I’ve not noticed the Munich skyline on PS5 either. As for frame rates imat London Victoria, it can drop a fair bit on PS5 too, but still very much playable.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  33. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

They got it quite right in Hamburg, and didn´t do Munich? Ah, that´s too bad. :|

• Like Like x 1
  34. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

Thanks! :) That's right when you run 4k graphics over a 1080p screen the picture still looks sharper than 1080p graphics. This effect can be compared to "Supersampling", whereby a higher resolution also ensures edge smoothing or "Anti-Aliasing".

• Like Like x 1
  35. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

Oh no, not that skyline discussion again! ;) No matter if Manhattan or Munich, something can always be added to the background.
    Joking aside, the huge tracks and railway systems in Munich are certainly a reason to reduce the details of the surroundings a bit. But there should always be a few megabytes left for memorable landmarks. This can also provide more immersion in a particular city.

36. Princess Entrapta

Just a simple billboard in the distance, if nothing else, to give the illusion of landmarks being there.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  37. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

If I remember the very first MSTS a long time ago, a lot of billboards were used to simulate forest areas or city panoramas. Simple but resource-saving trick. I think in TSW the skyline of San Francisco was also composed of a 2D map, but is illuminated 3-dimensionally by a MatCap technique based on the position of the sun.

38. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Finally got our PS5 today in the cut down version of Game operating out the back of JD Sports in Swindon!

Primarily for the missus to play soft games, but with TSW3 on sale at £23.99, it had to be added. The only slightly confusing thing is it seemed to download Kent High Speed as a separate entity?