Unreal Engine

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WVUadam, Dec 11, 2022.

1. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

I wonder if a few dtg employees are using unreal engine 5 tinkering with nanite and lumen, 5.1 update.
    It looks very promising :):)
    Judging how it's implemented in fornite. Games will look very impressive. Train routes will look epic.

2. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

I think some have been exploring as a side project. But don't expect them to actually take it on for at least a few years cuz not every developer is using it. And besides no easy task at all. And just cuz they go to ue5 doesn't mean all the issues still be solved. Also just cuz a game looks good doesn't mean anything if the game is unplayable. Who knows what kind of new major issues there would be in ue5 if dtg adopt it

Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
  3. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Bear in mind, Fortnite is going to have had a significant number of devs who spent the last few years developing UE5 working on it as a showcase. Third party studios will take longer to get used to it.

4. WVUadam

That's true as fortnite has tons of resources at its disposal it's incredible how quick features are added. Third party studios definitely are engaging with it just will take time to see a finished product.

5. WVUadam

I guess DTG will use it when there's a stable version with the feature in set place. May have to wait for TSW4 or TSW5.

6. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Let's wait and see if DTG will go to UE5 as long as there is a stable build for it. This will work wonders on the international section of Bremen Oldenburg which is Groningen Leer Oldenburg 130 km

7. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Given that UE4 has greater capabilities than DTG employ, why would you think we'll get photorealism from that same company from a newer engine? Maybe slightly shinier than now, but it's still DTG...

8. WVUadam

I think it would be in there best interest to use newer tec so distant scenery would be less of an issue and lighting could look more accurate in stations , on platforms, in cab lights. But merging two routes together will still be a complicated task.

9. ARuscoe

Unfortunately that's not how it works...
    That would mean that the devs would need to know how all of those things worked on the platform, and probably also using the platform's inbuilt tools rather than the add ons which DTG develop
    Given DTGs track record I would imagine it would be the same old thing of taking a platform and forcing it to almsot do what you want but in a way which ends up being "brute force and ignorance" rather than grace and elegance

• Like Like x 1
  10. WVUadam

I could only hope haha. I guess the tools dtg use for now will just be refined such as the automated scenery tool, the current new lighting system and weather system.

But for context I watched this video

Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
  11. rennekton#1349

Just being realistic here. Sure, ue5 might make dtgs life easier in terms of scenery but at the end of the day, it's still a lot of work to make sure nothing breaks. I am hoping just like you and it would be great but ue4 still has a lot of potential

12. ARuscoe

For context you watched a completely out of context video produced by someone else?
    That video starts off showing a tree, not a tree on the side of a working railway line with pax and signals working over 30 miles... just a tree
    I'm sure it's a very pretty tree but it doesn't show the "context" I would want which is what said tree does between 1 mile and 0 inches when travelling towards it at 125mph... Along with all the other objects on the line. On a PS4

• Like Like x 2
  13. pessitheghost

pessitheghost Well-Known Member

UE5 wont get to dtg in a while because they haven't mastered ue4

14. WVUadam

Most definitely is alot of work and thought if these new things are possible then could benefit in TSW.

15. Dovetail need to bring TSW to Unreal 5 i play The Bus on PC and when they moved from 4 To 5 OMG so much better in fact most to all Shutters and lag are gone i hope this is the case for when Dovetail make the move because this has been one of my must haves to be removed for a long long time

16. WVUadam

It didn't help i didn't explain what I was trying to get across.
    In TSW there's lots of distant foliage and tree's but now the quality doesn't have to change if your futher away from it.

17. rennekton#1349

Moving to ue5 isn't a magic bullet to any of the issues in tsw. It's more graphically intensive, meaning there will be drops in performance and dtg will have to optimize everything and make sure everything actually works. It's not as simple as press a button and voila it works perfectly. The devs for the bus might have put more work into making ue5 run with no stutters. Just cuz one game does it doesn't mean another game will have the same exact performance. Also moving to ue5 probably would require dtg to drop support for last gen consoles cuz of all the graphical upgrades and stuff but a lot of people still just last gen consoles and they still run great sometimes. I've also played games that look better and have much better performance then tsw in a same engine or a different engine completely so I'm sure dtg are able to improve the performance with ue4.

18. ARuscoe

They never mastered the TSC system (compared to say AP) but that didn't stop them moving to UE5. Basing other peoples possible business moves on what we know of them is probably a lost cause

If they implement that system. I'm sure UE4s system had something similar but DTG did their own workaround. We know from Matt's various comments that trees have definitely been an issue

• Like Like x 1