Framerate Comparision Xbox One X - Xbox One S

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by xD 2Bad4You, Oct 5, 2018.

1. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

So i thought that maybe some would be interested into seeing how the Game is performing on the Xbox One X compared to the Xbox One S.
    As of now the Game isnt enhanced for the X but can just the Power of the X boost up the Framerate?

So lets dive into it.
    (I needed to split it up into a Thread since i cant post more than 5 pieces of Media into one Post)
    I´m starting with the WSR route and have choosen the End of the Day scenario for this comparison. Its done after the Patch from 4/10/18, so i´m using the most up to date Version of TSW currently.

It all starts with the Loco on the Platform:
    [​IMG]
    The X starts off with 60fps, while the S is close to 40fps

Starting to Move the 09 using Outside View:
    [​IMG]

The X is holding the 60fps, while the S dropped to 28fps

Coupling up to the Class 47, Outside View:
    [​IMG]

The One X nearly holds the 60 and goes down to 50fps, the S stays at 28fps

In motion with the 47 attached pulling it into the station, Outside View:
    [​IMG]

One X going to 52fps, the One S achieves 39fps

In motion, 3 wagons attached to the 09, outside View, no HUD:
    [​IMG]

Following the pattern the One X gets more FPS out of the game, in this case 59fps compared to 35fps of the One S

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  2. xD 2Bad4You

Now it gets Interesting. In Cab view with HUD on and Off, Xbox One X:
    [​IMG]
    The X gets on average to around 50fps in the Cab view with the HUD. The Interesing part is that if you turn it off, it gets you in some cases up to 10fps more. In this particular case its 53fps with and 60fps without HUD.

In Cab view with HUD on and Off, Xbox One S:
    [​IMG]
    However on the One S, where i thought it would make more of a performance boost disabling the HUD i got proven wrong. Its 40fps in that case in both cases. The average the S is doing is around 30 to 40fps while driving in cab view.

No lets see some moving pictures (i had to upload to Youtube or wasnt able to get them into here. Sorry for that, not boosting my channel as you can see there isnt anything else in it)

Moving around a Station, One X vs One S:

As you can see here, the One X is getting around 60fps and the S around 40fps while running around an (almost empty) Station

Lets get 09 moving, in cab, One X vs One S:

While in the Cab of moving train the One X average FPS is around 50fps and the one S around 40fps as you can see in the short Videos above.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. xD 2Bad4You

Going backwards closer to the Class 47, in cab, One X vs One S:

The X can hold its 50fp and is closer to 60, the S is going to 35fps.

Pulling 3 Wagons, in cab, One X vs One S:

The One X is on its average 50fps, the One S on around its 40fps (37 in that case in the video)

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. xD 2Bad4You

Going trough some scenery, in cab, One X vs One S:

Again the One X has less problems maintaining its Framerate of around 50fps, without HUD going up to 60fps as you can see in the Video.

The One S however is fighting for the 30fps, showing no difference again with HUD or without and besides the fact both are dropping some frames, the S definitely more often than its more powerful brother.

Interesting again, Some scenery, outside View, One X vs One S:

The One X is pretty much unimpressed if your using inside view or outside. Holding above 50fps, without HUD 60fps. However the Video does show that the game has those random framedrops for some reason. For a short time it goes into the 40fps range.

The One S is a different story, its fighting to hold 30fps in outside Camera and as you can see isnt doing a good job at it.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. xD 2Bad4You

And the last one, outside view and a little tunnel, One X vs One S:

One X closer to 60fps, One S just above 30fps and dropping more.

Conclusions:

- Even without beeing Optimized for the X, the game is running with around 10-20fps more on it
    - The Game itself has a hard time holding the framerate. The One X is doing a better job at that, but there are on both Consoles still drops of around 10-20fps for a short time for no reason occasionally. I have to say that after the patch it happend less than before the patch.
    - Bringing up the Guide menu while driving makes the One X go to around 30fps, the One S to around 15fps
    - Outside View is killing frames on the One S, not so much on the One X
    - Disabling the HUD gives you up to 10fps more on the One X, and has no effect on the One S

Even with showing my examples only from the one scenario you get the picture. Its around the same on all services in all weather conditions that the X can deliver more frames. The actual framerate might varies depending on traffic, condition, day or night time but the X holds the frames better up. But its also clearly to see that both suffer from some random framedrops that last some miliseconds.

If i have the Time i will go through the other routes aswell and compare those, will be doing the RSN for sure some point after release.

Ps.: Sorry for the "Spam". Just as i said above can't have more than 5 pieces of media in one Thread / Reply.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 11
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Mr Fad

Mr Fad Member

Whoa, great thread cheers for all the effort and info m8! :D will give me sommot to watch while the wife watches crap TV! ;)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Crochunter1970

Crochunter1970 Active Member

This is an incredible thread. Love the work you put into this. I own the Xbox X and was wondering the difference. Now I see it. Thanks for all the work you did on this. Awesome and comprehensive.

• Like Like x 1
  8. xD 2Bad4You

Glad that someone likes it. Thanks :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. jiffers101

jiffers101 New Member

Good work don’t worry about the room you need. Keep up the good threads and you can use as much room as you want it doesn’t bother me at all.

10. Retrovertigo

Retrovertigo Member

Great thread and really appreciate your hard work. Reading it all just makes it all the more depressing that they haven't enhanced it for the X though :(

• Like Like x 3
  11. Symbiot911

Symbiot911 Member

Nice info. Plenty of hard work put into that. I have both the original console and an X. I don't notice all that much difference between them, I'm quite disappointed with the way the game runs on both. But if I were to draw any conclusion from that comparison, I would say that it proves exactly what Microsoft said on release of the One X, that being that it could upscale and run older games better. So now we know we are getting on average, 20 to 30fps better performance on the One X. What it also tells me is that the developers aren't up to the task of optimising the game for console... Yet. The way I see it is, TSW has quite basic graphics, it's certainly not next gen graphics like many games. Even the free to play game World of Tanks makes TSW look positively archaic. Also, given the figures you've obtained, it seems the prospect of the game having high resolution 4k graphics with HDR, physics, bump mapping, specular lighting, and all those other goodies like vibration feedback that we expect in games, (especially console games as we have vibration compatible controllers), are not even remotely possible in this game, at least, not with the Unreal engine they are using, and certainly not if the game can't access all the RAM and CPU capabilities the One X is capable of. DTG haven't even addressed the many bugs still existent in the game, especially in the West Somerset dlc. This is why I will not spend anymore money on this game. I really want to love it as I love trains, but the game is too buggy, has basic graphics with horrible draw distance to boot, and no vibration feedback, which would make the game so much more attractive to play. Plus we have a developer that doesn't seem to be able to develop properly and releases new content without fixing the problems with the core game and also previous dlc's. So my money, and time will be spent playing world of tanks and when it comes out Red Dead Redemption 2. Now there's class. I will probably play this game occasionally but really, it's a hard one to take seriously when it doesn't look particularly good or work particularly well. If DTG patch it up and give it decent graphics, speed, 4k, physics and all those things that we expect in a paid for video game, then I'll take it seriously. For now, to me it's like mentally handicapped child in a room full of geniuses.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Symbiot911

Symbiot911 Member

It's more than depressing. This game looks like something out of the xbox 360 days, and that's being kind to it. Surely they can do better. I'm quite pissed that I've wasted my money on this. Thought it would be so much more.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Ross NCC1701

Ross NCC1701 Member

I couldn't agree with you more! And with the many updates today, I get the impression the graphics are worse than before. And still they have no planned date for fixing the achievements that do not unlock and/or do not track. Dovetail tell me that they have no plans for an Xbox One Enhanced or 4K version.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  14. Goooner1

Goooner1 Member

I've pretty much given up on this for now, with the other stuff that's come out of late, if there's no X enhanced version coming and it doesn't look like they have any intention of fix some of the bugs, I doubt I'll bother going back to it.

15. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

Excellent work. I wish Digital Foundry did a full analysis of the different versions. I have a feeling we would be surprised seeing their graphs and not in a pleasant way. I play on Xbox One X yet the game runs extremely bad especially on some routes. Rapid Transit is fine most of the time but NEC is horrible (especially at the underground station which name I forgot) and GWE has its problems, too. That said, there have been some performance improvements made, just not enough.

16. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

I agree that NEC dlc its the worst of the series anyway after autumn update the underground tunnels (under Hudson and East River) and New York Penn Station looks improved. Hell Gate Bridge route (from New Rochelle to New York its still bad (invisible route between us and the Hell Gate Bridge like if part of the bridge is collapsed :(

GWE route after autumn update in my opinion as general run fine. I tested this route also at 260 km/h (insane speed to stress the xbox one x hardware) but I don't see for example disappearing part of tracks or/and IA trains, scenario shapes, etc. Except for some very little frame rate issue (and for the carbon trains bug * all trains colors turn black* that we have since the day one just 1 miles outside the reading station) all runs fine.

17. DeltaNui

DeltaNui New Member

I’m still getting disappearing tracks on GWE while driving the HST. I play on an original Xbone. What model are you playing on?

18. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

--> https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/tsw-platforms-comparison-pc-xb1-xb1x-ps4-ps4pro.13920/

I remember when, from March to May (so before all patches), in my Xbox One standard the Founders Edition (GWE) was near to be unplayable. Now, like you can see in the link, in GWE I can run up to 250km/h without sort of problem along the route. Also the framerate is not bad, not super-solid like I supposed but anyway not too bad. So, In the thread of the link I hope to create an objective platforms comparison with the "rules" I wrote in the thread (same Service, same camera blocked, some wheatering, same train speed to stress the hardware and see better the differences between all platforms, pc vesion inclused)

19. DeltaNui

DeltaNui New Member

So you’re running the One X now? Since I’m still seeing tracks disappear on GWE and LIRR, I’m curious how much testing DTG does on older hardware, if at all.

20. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

TSW is not optimized for any platform (pc included). Obviously with a good gaming pc you can admire a better solid framerate and a better draw distance, so as general, also a better graphic in terms of impact not in terms of textures (but if the textures, the shadows and the lights are loading faster you will have a better graphical impact). But anyway if for example you play TSW with a super pc with a gtx 1080ti I suppose you'll have the same graphic quality of a pc with the gtx 1060. This happen cause TSW was not projected for a top gamma hardware. The same happen for the console versions: I suppose that for One X the title runs (as general) better for framerate and performance than on One standard and always as general it has also a more cleaning graphical impact but nothing to surreal, just a little jump forward, like it happen also with the next little jump forward that we having with the good gaming pc version. the most important improvement between a lower performance console and a higher performance gaming pc is the framerate and the performance as general (and in the pc vs pc also a better draw distance). But anyway also without optimization project TSW looks like a 10 years foreward title if compared with the others train simulators. I only hope DTG fix all bugs. And yes, last June I passed to One X (not only for TSW). And yes again, when I played on One standard my game (GWE) was near to be unplayable (very low framerate, invisibles ai trains, I just hear the sound, and invisibles parts of route, not only tracks)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018