Is Simrail What Tsw Should Have Been?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jamy, Dec 12, 2022.

1. pugilist3

pugilist3 Active Member

Once they release some US routes and freight content, I will purchase!

Excited to have an editor again.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  2. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

You either enjoy MP or you don't (sorry for stating the obv). For me it's a game changer, the randomness element is what makes the playability go through the roof. I've not come across any trolls etc as yet in SimRail, I think it's going to be a rare occurance in this kind of niche sim arena. I even came across a glitch today where a car became stuck on a crossing - a quick message to everyone to make everyone aware to be careful on track x at station x. Human dispatcher can then route around the problem. An example of something different in a train sim, a pretty far fetched one, but something that keeps you on your toes instead of playing the same scenario with the same signal aspects.

But the great news is that if you don't want to play MP you don't have to. For us MP fans we now have the option to. It's win win for both camps!

• Like Like x 11
  3. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

This is a dangerous assumption to make - operating practices can differ massively between countries.

4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

With regard to route editing, not getting my hopes up too much. I've just asked a series of questions on the official forum
    https://forum.simrail.eu/topic/849-how-hard-will-editing-be
    and thus far no response from the devs.
    Not just the route, but building all the signalling essentially to the standard of a full SimSig style interlocking could well be the Achilles Heel for hobby creators.

• Like Like x 1
  5. breblimator

breblimator Guest

You are right. That was too big simplification. I quote this one from SR forum:

• Like Like x 1
  6. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

I think even if tsw had an editor and or multiplayer, there would be major issues at least based on their track record that would take ages to fix. Or there might be limited functionality and options. So if tsw had one or the other or both, if it had major issues, nobody would be interested in it or even use it. There's no way to tell how well simrail will do with both of these until we actually experience it.

7. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It took that long to develop Sand Patch, and that's only 50 km

8. Conductor B

Conductor B Well-Known Member

So basically, in Poland, the freight market consists primarily of unit trains, with few to no manifest freights. Local switchers servicing local industries is almost non-existent. And they no longer use hump yards. What about their operation though? Are Polish freight trains manned by a conductor as well as an engineer as they are in the USA? Or is it like in Germany and the UK where there is only a driver?

For me, the fun in freight is doing all that shunting and moving work. Running a local to pick-up cars, bringing them to a yard, and assembling and breaking-down a manifest train. Running non-stop from A to B gets boring if there aren't other activities to mix things up. Of course, I'm sure Polish passenger ops are much, much more fun and interesting. Their night trains involve en-route switching, combining, and separating, similar to the UK night trains, from what I've heard.

The biggest hurdle for me would be the language barrier. I have no idea how trains outside of the USA operate, with some understanding of UK operations thanks to the relevant technical information being available in English. But where would I get info from on Polish operations? I wouldn't even be able to read the controls. Yes, I could learn them, but that's a steep learning curve. Now if/when US or UK content becomes available, that's a whole new game.

• Like Like x 1
  9. OldVern

The core game is localised into English, well most of it sufficient for driving. Signaller mode is a little more challenging as many of the pop up commands you have to use when setting a route or getting a single line slot are abbreviated Polish, but do show an English translation when you hover the mouse over it.

• Like Like x 2
  10. trainsimcz

trainsimcz Well-Known Member

Funny how some of you complain about that the game include only one route, even from PL and its just 500 km. Come on guys... you forget a lot right ? When TSW was released it include only one route and 2 locos... route much shorter then in SimRail and from US. And because DTG is just good at writing all wishes what they will like to add even with release times promisses... no we know where all those promisses went :)
    - before beta TSW:HH - beta will not include multiplayer but it will be available with full release
    - before TSW:HH release ... final version will not include multiplayer... it will be added with first DLC in September 2017
    - september 2017... new DLC out and no info about multiplayer
    then editor teasing came out ... we are almost close to the release our public editor... december you will have first beta
    - before december ... we are still working on it... you can watch our 1st stream where we will show you how it works and then release will be during january
    - during stream ... we are not showing you public version of the editor but our version of the editor but public is working the same
    - then with TSW 2 - editor cancelled but you know you will got tools with the game which we will keep updating... the comes livery designer and planner...but we would like to still bring that multiplayer
    - TSW 3 out ... multiplayer cancelled :) - too much work
    oh wait ... TSW 3 still include those old planner and livery designer v1.0 but v2.0 suppose to come with Rush Hour :)

And then there is great looking SimRail ... promissed dynamic weather (its there), multiplayer (its there and its great, adding to the game more variety to play as every ride is completely different and it suppose to include even live weather), dispatcher - yeah what a great option, loving it... in the game menu there is Editor option and that will be released during 2023 with 3 parts. There suppose to be even random event...
    Yes the game was delayed couple times but better to release good looking product with minimum bugs then just some prototype (TSW) hungry for money (as they care only about DLCs - yeah since SimRail playtest release they update the game 3 times - before we were waiting usually at least 14 days or month for update).

• Like Like x 18
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

And then the 2.0 versions of ld and sc were removed from the roadmap a while ago lol due to reasons and stuff

12. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

And I think you're missing the point
    When operating a railway the point is that each system integrates but is separate. The interaction between people IRL is minimal unless it's the guard / driver interaction on some journeys, but even that is often reduced to four buzzes at stations
    As a driver the only time you see other people is when you see them driving trains in the other direction (which we have in game now even if they are AI and if they WEREN'T AI you'd see their avatar, which are limited) or platform staff, which we don't have in game right now
    So to what the point of a multiplayer when driving trains?
    "Ooh, that train over there is being driven electronically by another player (who I don't know) and that means it might not drive like AI does! Oh bestill my beating heart at the vastness of the difference..." Whilst skidding through a station and possibly SPADDING because I was too busy noting the awesomeness of a player driven train (which I can watch on YouTube)
    In other words, not for me thanks

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. ARuscoe

Wouldn't call crashing servers "minimal bugs" in 2022, but you do you

• Like Like x 2
  14. praxidike.meng

praxidike.meng Well-Known Member

The biggest surprise for me in SimRail is actually multiplayer. And I don't even consider myself a "multiplayer should be a thing in train sims" guy. I tried it for the first time in SimRail and I'm loving it. The element of surprise is what's so good about it and it pulls you back to playing every time. You just don't know what to expect, from chasing yellow signals, to unscheduled reroutings in stations, to being late because someone is still learning how to dispatch or simply operate a train in front of you. Driving freight is actually interesting, because you frequently get rerouted to let passenger trains ahead. It keeps you on alert and at the top of your ability to either drive or dispatch, since you don't want to cause too much delays... but they always happen, so no two sessions are the same.

• Like Like x 10
  15. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Hopefully they can sort out the issue with the servers crashing, as you correct it's not a minimal bug that would be a major bug that needs to be sorted out.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. steveownzzz#6107

steveownzzz#6107 Well-Known Member

I won't be making the leap for a lot of reasons that I don't feel like getting into (short story is that I like TSW much more, overall), but multiplayer/human dispatcher honestly looks a lot cooler now that I've seen it (on stream). And I'm someone who previously had zero interest in that.

• Like Like x 2
  17. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I wouldn't expect the momentum straight from Run8. EU tracks are the hegemony of passenger trains. Similarities lie at the heart of the operation. Yard ops including shunting and humping are obviously present. Operations within a station are called maneuvers, as opposed to entering/exiting/passing through a station, which we call a train. The release of the game in my opinion will not contain maneuvers. I will quote directly from one of the developers:
    source

An analogy to US locals (in the game) can be the trains serving mines and heavy industry. I would expect to see mostly "U-Trains" in this part of Poland. I live in Silesia, I have it outside my window. Intermodal transport is rather rare, the ports are far to the north. The local industry is mostly car transport. That's from observation. I'm not an expert. What could possibly interest you?
    US content is on the way, but not soon, I suppose :) BR o7

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2022
  18. trainsimcz

I dont know which server are you playing on but i during my play i never noticed server crash. And if you mean that server restart every 3 hours than thats not crashing... thats setup like that by devs and they even post that on their forum.

And then is the game finally released ? I dont noticed that so why you complain about server crashing during play test where are they testing multiplayer ? You dont even pay for that game yet.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. mariussoare_84

mariussoare_84 Well-Known Member

When I used to be young and restless and I was playing World of tanks on a daily basis, I became really upset with the game and the direction it was going towards. Eventually, I stopped playing but before that I was very hyped by Obsidian Entertainment´s announcement of a new tank game, Armored warfare, that was supposed to be everything that WoT wasn´t and more.
    It failed miserably and with it my hopes. If anything, it gave WoT free ideas that were implemented much better than in Armored warfare.

From this new release, I only hope that both developers will compete and increase the level of quality. Price will be an important factor but more so when the same routes will be available in both titles rather than right now.

I have not purchased TSW3 but I will likely purchase Railsim. I am having fun in the playtest. I like the way things get handled and even now the game runs better with no fps drops or stutters on max settings (with or without DLSS). I don´t remember last time when I drove for an hour without graphics related issues in TSW. Well, not even half and hour. Or 15 minutes. Or even 5 minutes.

I am here because I love trains. It doesn´t matter who builds the game.

• Like Like x 7
  21. OldVern

Personally the big selling point for me is going to be the EU07 locomotive. It really is a noisy beast and requires a bit of skill to drive. If DTG take anything away from this, it's that there is a demand for older traction (and a nice long route to run them on), that's not just single handle push to go.

• Like Like x 11
  22. Conductor B

So European freight, realistically simulated, involves lots of unexpected stops and diversions due to passenger trains. That actually sounds like there's more opportunity for engaging runs. (They're not all like the class 66 runs on GWE? Good to know!)

Agreed. This isn't a zero-sum game where the end goal is to destroy the other. Healthy competition can be mutually enriching.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I've noticed relatively poor performance too, and my PC is fairly beefy. Considering they definitely need to up the render distance I think the game will become seriously demanding, probably even beating the optimisation horror TSW is

24. trainsimcz

Like with TSW you can tweak the game with changing .ini file then in SimRail you can do the same. All that is in settings.conf. THere you can even change render distance.

25. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Like some other people on here, I'll wait on SimRail as well till something more my tastes comes out.

26. cwf.green

cwf.green Well-Known Member

It didn't take DTG 2 years to develop SPG, it took them "2 years" to develop TSW. However, I take your point. We won't know how fast the SimRail developers can create routes until they are solely developing a route and not a full game around it.

27. OldVern

And as I noted above, I fear the route editor and associated signal panel diagrams could be well above the pay grade of us mere mortals.

However last night managed to get a good run in the EU07, mainly by avoiding taking over a train about to get routed through Lazy (which they absolutely must sort before release). Very nice but I couldn't help wondering, this train and route would be even better in TSW.

The chat has definitely died off on the MP servers though and the couple I tried I noticed fewer people about.l

Plus I still haven't seen a response from the devs on the official forum about whether the SP game has a save function. No one will be able to complete a 500 km run in one go!

• Like Like x 2
  28. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Yeah, but if the game already performs not so well with small render distance, how bad does it get with long ones?

• Like Like x 1
  29. OldVern

I think now we know why DTG chose UE, imperfect as it might be, over Unity though I believe Diesel Railcar Simulator uses it and after a bit of work by the dev now looks quite nice.

• Like Like x 2
  30. mariussoare_84

mariussoare_84 Well-Known Member

One very important aspect that I´ve seen that applies to both developers is that neither has a mid or long term plan for their games apparently.
    This can answer this thread´s question.

Creating content based on feedback and what users say is appreciated but this perhaps should be used for routes and not for core features. A developer should be committed to learning and developing a solid base for a game from the start and then build on it rather than adding core elements throughout the years as we see in TSW.

• Like Like x 4
  31. tibomatthijs

tibomatthijs Well-Known Member

It is a fun game, but not on point yet but ofcourse its an Test atm. The lighting is a bit too much sometimes in day time, luckily golden hour is pretty in the game![​IMG]

Looking forward to editor stuff too and more stock! But for now its only the Playtests which is really fun too. Nice to have an other high quality Train Sim out there, in an other country also, which has some interesting stuff!

• Like Like x 6
  32. ARuscoe

I said I've seen reports of it crashing, and from people less vociferous (and therefore believable) than yourself.
    I understand reboots happen, but in the days of clustered servers (ie anything from about 15 years ago) this shouldn't involve any downtime unless the servers are updating software
    Either way, I hope the project succeeds as it looks promising

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  33. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Another competitor is good for DTG. Don’t see many jumping ship to SimRail at present but DTG will have to be on their toes and produce quality with more competition around. Hope SimRail produces some UK routes but don’t think they will. I think DTG have improved their quality recently shame Rivet cannot do the same.

• Like Like x 2
  34. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

It's one to one scale. So yes it is 500KM

• Like Like x 3
  35. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Well said and that it's basically a licensed produced class 83 locomotive for the West Coast main line which actually ends up being designated as EU06 in Poland. If you can Master a class 83 locomotive if made then you can run the Polish EU07 like a Class 83 WCML

• Like Like x 3
  36. DominusEdwardius

DominusEdwardius Well-Known Member

Not quite, EU06 is a DC resistor controlled locomotive, while the 83 is a tap changing AC locomotive. They're quite different electrically and control wise, its only really the body work/bogies that shares a similarity.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  37. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

I can Simrail making Pesa Link which will actually force Dovetail games to start making the German version which is called DB Baureihe 633 Rhein Main Verkehrsverbund RMV Niddertalbahn Frankfurt Main Hbf Bad Vilbel Stockheim.

38. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Been looking at SimRail for a while now and it looks promising, I hope it does well. As for MP the only MP I'd like to see is some sort of co-op. Having a guard or even having 'real' passengers, that might be a laugh but having MP drivers? It isn't for me though I wish them luck and if they ever do a UK route it might be a purchase from me. The editor side will also be worth watching.

As for DTG doing MP, given their record of outstanding bugs and fixes and ignoring other issues do you really think DTG are up to it? I would imagine they would rely on a third party to do it properly. We are still waiting for 'Rush Hour' to be fully implemented aren't we? I still haven't purchased TSW 3 although nearly did with that Birmingham route but now I will hold off and see what happens with SimRail, not interested in MP but want see how it goes cause if it does interest me further down the line I don't want to invest in a game I will drop, can't afford it.

Do you have Diesel Rail Simulator? I'd love to know what you think on it.

• Like Like x 2
  39. trainsimcz

Well i know couple of people they were saing the same... not interested in multiplayer... what is that no co-op between driver and guard... etc... and then they tried SimRail in multiplayer and completely changed their mind.... they find out that its really fun to interact with dispatcher and other players. So far the playtest is out 8 days and i got more hours there then in TSW 3 which was released in August (so almost 4 months). And the playtest is still open and free.

• Like Like x 9
  40. breblimator

breblimator Guest

When all the modding / editing / creating ability will go live, with MP, with all these not-yet-fulfilled community dreams...
    Oh my train \o/

• Like Like x 1
  41. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Does anyone who plays know if it's possible to pull up a track map in-game? Or is there's a pdf version out there?

Going through the Prologue tutorials again because i want to give MP a proper try.

42. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Try here
    OpenRailwayMap
    Search for Katowice. This is the main track going north toward Warszawa in the game (not the whole part atm).

There will be an online map with trains positions like in Run8 added in the future. BR o7

PS I suggest waiting for the servers to restart in approximately 2.5 hours because now the tracks are jammed as always after some time in Zawiercie (AI DS issue).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  43. Disintegration7

Thanks. I appreciate your help and all the help you've given in this thread.

44. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I almost feel remorse, because this is a TSW forum. In my world, all these games are equally important and I wish their developers success. Thank you for the good word :)

• Like Like x 2
  45. trainsimcz

What a nice feature in SimRail, train station announcements

• Like Like x 8
  46. Disintegration7

So after having played a real MP session, i'm sold on at least the initial purchase.

I don't think it will replace TSW3 for me, but it's a nice compliment. Very much looking forward to the single player mode launching.

I played on the driver-only server, so didn't really have any player interactions (that i know of), but the AI dispatcher performed nicely, even at Lazy, which i've seen mentioned as a trouble spot.

I was running the S1 service, so maybe those trains have a higher priority? Anyway, having no issues with the signalling was nice!

The cab and controls are modelled nicely (this was an EMU reminiscent of a Talent) and i like the way the tooltips work for the mouse commands.

Not so sure about the physics simulation, but with such a light train it was kinda hard to tell. Is there a gradient indicator anywhere on the hud?

Will have to test again with a heavier freight service.

How do i properly exit a session? I was looking for a control to re-engage autopilot, but ended up just quitting to the main menu.

Graphics fall somewhere between TSW and TSC. Locos and rolling stock look pretty nice, but some of the other scenery looks generic (or maybe it's true to life). Don't care for the look of the foliage or overhead lines, but i know that's all very compute intensive- draw distance needs to be improved, though- that's my biggest issue.

To sum up- it has promise- hope it does well and the devs have the funding to keep it growing.

• Like Like x 3
  47. Conductor B

Ok, since this is free I'm going to try it.

Actually, I think teaming-up with your buddy to do driver/guard mode might be fun. Your buddy drives, calls signals, CSX style, and you confirm them on the radio. You open the door and stick your head out, then spot the number of cars until the train is supposed to stop. You open the doors, close the doors, and radio to your pal that train such-and-such is clear to depart on such-and-such signal.

Is it the red line? Or does it go through Częstochowa?

It sounds like that robotic simulated computer voice that scammers use in robo calls. I don't like it! I only assume the original Polish version sounds more natural. (I realize they wouldn't have English announcements at Polish train stations, I just don't like the voice.) However, the concept of dynamic announcements is a good one. The fact that they care enough to give it the ol' college try is important.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
  48. breblimator

breblimator Guest

The red-fast-one, EIC Pendolino, not via Częstochowa tracks from what I know.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2022
  49. OldVern

Well I must admit despite my initial scepticism I've been playing fairly solid and haven't touched TSW or TSC in nearly a week. The MP element is more fun than I thought, better than what I experienced in Run 8 which just seemed like a chliquish old boys club.

No gradient indicator I can see but have suggested on the official forum it would be a good idea. You can certainly tell when climbing a hill with the EU07 or EP07 and the challenge of managing both the tap changer and shunt regulator is good fun. I have also found myself enjoying the signalling side and if there's one thing DTG bring away from looking at SimRail, it's thinking about how they could incorporate that in TSW. As I said on the official forum, imagine something like the Somerset and Dorset or Cambrian Line in TSW but with all the signal boxes staffed by real players in MP. That would be something.

So a Day 1 purchase in January goes without saying. Just remains to be seen how much it will impact my TSC and TSW time in the future. At the moment I'm devoting most of my time due to the playtest invite and the novelty. At some point that will wear off just as it does with any other game. So in the long term I don't think DTG have too much to worry about but equally they need to be thinking about what fresh take they can put on TSW and TSC from SimRail.

Edit: Also in terms of value for money, SimRail is giving a 300+ mile route, the equivalent of Euston to Carlisle, numerous locomotives and rolling stock, multiplayer and a signalling simulation. Price still TBC on Steam but I saw an unconfirmed report it will be $29.99 US so certainly no more than £30. Contrast that with TSW now costing £30 for a scant 30 mile route and one new train. Even if you don't have a particular interest in Polish railways the cost to content ratio is a no brainer.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 11
  50. Rafael320

Rafael320 Member

Watching the Simrail gamplays for few days now and it looks very good. Multiplayer is not my strong side but when the games comes on January I will give it a try !

• Like Like x 3