I Can't Download .rwp Add-ons

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zagijohan#9585, Dec 14, 2022.

1. zagijohan#9585

zagijohan#9585 Member

Hello, I've recently purchased train simulator with the intent of playing danish routes. But when i try to download them with the utilities page, this error keeps coming up. I am using 7zip, but I've also tried Winrar. Please help. upload_2022-12-14_20-6-24.png

2. trevkiwi

trevkiwi Active Member

You don't download anything with Utilities. You use your browser's download function or a program like Free Download Manager to download it. You then open it up with 7zip and extract the file to your Railworks folder. No need to use utilities.

3. IronBladder

IronBladder Well-Known Member

zagijohan#9585, sorry I've never seen that error before or experienced any errors in the TS Utilities program.

What .rwp file are you trying to install? If you give the link I'll see if I can replicate the error.

4. Craigie-C

Craigie-C Well-Known Member

Not sure which way you are using Utilities but suggest
    1. Download Route / Asset
    2. Open explorer and check in your downloads folder if it comes compiled as a .rwp file or contained within a Zip File.
    3. If it is in a Zip file use 7Zip or equivalent to extract the contents to a suitable place (e.g. Desktop) or even just to your downloads folder.
    4. Navigate to Your Drive :\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RailWorks
    5. Navigate to Utilities, Right Click and open as administrator.
    6. Click on the Package Manager option and press install
    7. Browse to wherever you extracted the downloaded .rwp file to
    8. Click on open and let the program do it's thing
    Please accept my apologies if I am guiding you through something you already know, but I have had that error message when trying to fire up Utilities directly from 7Zip/Winzip
    Good luck, hope this may help.

5. trevkiwi

trevkiwi Active Member

No need to use Utilities if you are using 7zip. I haven't used utilities for years for extracting RWP files. Stop confusing the poor guy about using Utilities as you don't need to use it. I'm a Train Simulator user since 2010.

6. snapnfix

snapnfix Member

Are you sure? How are you going to install RWP files without using TS Utilities?

7. Craigie-C

Craigie-C Well-Known Member

I agree with what you are saying, but the OP asked about using the Utilities prog
    and although hated by the minority it works for the the majority including me.

8. trevkiwi

trevkiwi Active Member

Like this using 7zip. RWP file ready to extract into TSC. All I need to do is press the OK button.
    RWP.jpg

9. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Let me try and simplify this a little bit.

a .rwp file IS a zip archive.

If you open that .rwp file with an archive utility (like WinZip, WinRar or 7Zip) it will open exactly the same way as a .zip (or .rar or .7zip) file.

The Train Simulator Utilities program is basically a program that extracts (unzips) the .rwp archive places it in the correct location within your RailWorks folder and keeps a record of what it put and where so that you can use the uninstall function of it if need be, the Utilities program does other things but none of which I have used (like the packager for example).

A lot of us (not all) prefer to open the .rwp file as if it was a .zip file with 7zip (personal choice but imo it's better than Winzip) this way we can see exactly what is being placed and where, after a short time you get used to what goes where and know how to remove it (without having to go nuclear on your whole TS installation by verifying or deleting and re-downloading the whole thing).

you are not right or wrong doing it one way or the other it's just all about personal choice and preference, use whatever you're most comfortable with but learn how to use it first. https://sites.google.com/a/railsimdev.com/dtgts1sdk/reference-manual/package-utilities#TOC-Installing-a-Package

• Like Like x 1
  10. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Something to ask - what are you selecting with Utilities, the ZIP or RWP? If it's the latter and it only happens with one RWP file then the file is corrupt. If it does it with every RPK and RWP file then it's Utilities that has the problem.

The option of extracting the file like a ZIP is always an option as mentioned above. I have seen some suggestions that it risks breaking the contents of the package but I haven't seen any actual evidence for that.

11. reyyteee

reyyteee New Member

I can suggest that you try to solve this problem with a suitable program that supports 7ZIP for Mac, Commander One.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2023
  12. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Do you think in the 10 MONTHS since the last post a solution was found?

13. Odd1ne

Odd1ne Active Member

Bit of a random post from a brand new user isn't it?

• Like Like x 1
  14. liechtensteiner.sg

liechtensteiner.sg New Member

Diese Fehlermeldung tritt auf, wenn eine rwp-Datei beschÃĪdigt ist, hatte dieses Problem zweimal

15. liechtensteiner.sg

liechtensteiner.sg New Member

This error message happens when an rwp file is corrupt, had this problem twice