PC Save Game

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by AIS84, Oct 31, 2022.

1. AIS84

AIS84 New Member

Hi, been using F2 to save my games for as long as I can remember (always used this strategicly as I often loose concentration and miss a signal...) However just getting into TSW with Spirit of steam and I can't see this option at all.

I get that it auto saves but thats really not helping as I've just spent an hour doing a scenario only to miss a ground signal and now i'm back to square one.... must be an option somewhere

Can I request this somehow as a development idea?

2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

When they moved to TSW3 they disabled save, but then added it back as a menu option.
    Not sure if you've turned this save function back ON so it would then do what you wish?

3. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Don't think F2 has ever worked in TSW. It's the quicksave function in TSC but TSW has always required you to "Esc" to the pause menu for the save function.

4. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

The quick way to save is esc-s-esc-esc.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Shuroop

Shuroop Member

In TSW, the only way to save a game is by exiting the menu. To quickly save, you need to press Esc - S - Esc - Esc.
    And about autosaves - they do not work regardless of the state of the corresponding option in the settings. I now have autosave enabled, but the game itself does not save, which is very annoying!

6. Thorgred

Thorgred Active Member

please bring back the checkpoint saving too

• Like Like x 2
  7. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Ok - I have taken a bit of break from TSWX for a few months and just started to run it again -- BUT the save function STILL does not work. Running a time table on Cajon Pass which necessitated a save about 45 minutes into a 90 minute run do to a life event (Significant other had some plans for my free time :)). The next day resumed the save - was running downhill on dynamics for the next 45 minutes when pulling into the yard, I could not move the transition lever from braking to Series (F-7 Santa Fe Chief). No matter of maneuvers would free the lever. so saved again and resumed - now transition lever was responsive, but could never apply power -- all indications were correct, HUD showed throttle notches - but never could see any amps. recheck all switches asn all was as should be - just was a dead unit.

Foolishly had purchased the new Germany route before running the Timetable in Cajon Pass... so decided to run the first scenario -- again, something came up where I had to save and exit - Was stopped in the yard connected to my consist of 16 auto carriers needed to do a run around - signal at other end of the passing track was red and signal man stated passing was denied with another train was in the block, nothing showed on the map and the light never changed for 10 minutes. Decided to do an old trick when saves were botched back in the "old" days and SPAD then restart from the last check point only to find that feature had been removed.

Anyway - an extremely frustrating re-introduction to returning to the game -- Good point I guess - I got my heart rate up through the frustration so all was not lost. Will move on from this simulation for a while and hopefully they get it fixed -- or at least they return the save feature to the state it was before they "Fixed" it and removed the resume from last checkpoint

Last edited: Dec 15, 2022
  8. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Yes, it would be good to get an explanation for the absence of " load last checkpoint ", now that the save function has been restored. I had thought that the two features were in some way connected coding- wise.

Not that I relied on LLC much but it occasionally saved the day when spadding deep into a long run on, say, SPG.

I will add, LeadCatcher, that the save game feature has worked reliably for me since its reinstatement, just like it did before it was withdrawn.

Just lucky, I guess.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
  9. LeadCatcher

Good to hear it worked well for you, maybe there is hope and maybe it was just a “welcome back…. Why were you gone so long” karma that happens sometimes. Will stick to runs that I have ample time to complete for a while. Other than the occasional frustrations, I do enjoy the sim.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

No issues with the save function here either since the changes. I have used it a number of times since.

• Like Like x 2
  11. LeadCatcher

Good to hear -- just must have been unlucky on my first two attempts to use it.

12. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Hopefully the checkpoint saving is brought back. There are times when I forgot to save and accidentally SPAD.

I thought this was an odd omission when the save feature was reinstated. Has this been addressed by DTG ?

13. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I've never tagged a moderator and I'm not going to start now, but it would be nice to get a response to this mystery.