Route Terrain And Speed Limit Strips/maps ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Daytona, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Daytona

Daytona Active Member

[Newbie] I'm not very good at remembering routes - perhaps that will come with time (or, since I've got so many routes, perhaps it won't!). To save me having to make my own, and since all the data is in the route database anyway, has anyone extracted it/made their own incline/decline and line speed map. Basically a compressed version of the moving strip that appears at the bottom the the screen, whatever that's called.

I've seen General Wo's station and junction maps, which are a start.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. DeclanGamer75

DeclanGamer75 New Member

Hey!

I have never done it personally as I usually just use the scrolling map at the bottom when traversing the route.

Now that you mentioned it though, it sounds like a very useful and handy idea!

3. Daytona

Daytona Active Member

My problem is that I was driving a heavily laden Black 5 up the WLoS Glenluce 1:90 incline and I couldn't see where the top was to judge things - the scrolling strip wasn't long enough.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  4. DeclanGamer75

DeclanGamer75 New Member

Yeah, certainly sounds like a great idea!

5. BeenTrain

BeenTrain Member

You could use ThirdRails Map tool for that. It allows you to see a live map with your location from within the game for orientation and allows you to add Point-Of-Interest (f.i. where to break) to the map so that you can reuse that for route learning.
    It also support hill shades maps, giving the idea where you are at the grade.

https://www.thirdrails.org

• Like Like x 2
  6. Daytona

Daytona Active Member

Great stuff thanks BeenTrain, I'll have a play. I wasn't aware of OpenRailwayMap either. I've done my time on OpenStreetMap so there's a nice circularity about this :)

I am half tempted to draw one myself with pen and paper, I've seen some lovely examples on antique maps.