PC Ts World Raildriver And Joystick Interface

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by CobraOne, Nov 8, 2022.

1. Lokomotiv

Lokomotiv Active Member

Electric brake has a smaller range compared to throttle? It should be split in half between the two on the shared ThrottleAndBrake axis, so if you haven't already, make sure you're calibrated. You can make TSW Raildriver And Joystick Interface v1.0.0.3 create a new Raildriver.ini calibration file for you by deleting the original Raildriver.ini, and then restart TSW Raildriver And Joystick Interface v1.0.0.3. Raildriver.ini is located here: Documents\My Games\TrainSimWorld3\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Raildriver.ini

And this is how the BR185 maps for me when I tested all joystick functions in v1.0.0.3:
    Code:
    Reverser            Reverser
    ThrottleAndBrake    Throttle / Electric Brake
    Throttle            -
    DynamicBrake        -
    TrainBrake          Train Brake
    LocoBrake           AFB
    Wipers              Wipers
    Lights              Lights

Yes, would be nice if the throttle and electric brake could be split for the BR185. My workaround is doing this split myself with FreePIE and a vJoy that is mapped like this in TSW Raildriver And Joystick Interface v1.0.0.3:
    Screenshot_20221211_084121.png

Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
  2. atledreier

atledreier Member

It was a calibration issue, thanks.

I manage to split the electric brake and full range throttle. The compromise is the train brake will pull both brake levers, but I can live with that. :)
    I use:
    Dynamicbrake to Locobrake lever
    Throttle to Throttle lever
    Trainbrake to trainbrake lever.

That way I can do electric brake independently on a lever, and both brakes on another lever. It works really well for those descents where you just want the electric brake to keep the speed in check.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Lokomotiv

Lokomotiv Active Member

With my setup, if the electric brake is in the running position, and I begin pulling back on the train brake, the electric brake will follow. But if the electric brake is not in the running position, it will remain at its detent independently from the train brake movement. Kind of an odd one, but they can be operated separately by splitting the ThrottleAndBrake axis into throttle and electric brake.

4. josh_the_tech

josh_the_tech Active Member

Had a brief play with this last night and I'm so happy! I loved using this for TS Classic, so now I'm able to use my gear for TSW really makes me want to play it again. Now to spend some time getting it properly set up for all the locos I want to use it with.

5. CobraOne

CobraOne Active Member

TSW Raildriver And Joystick Interface V1.0.0.4 Released
    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/t37p....0.4.zip?rlkey=8qbggcr6iebus21u3zglor52k&dl=1

Can users who use Joysticks, delete the Raildriver.ini file located in either Documents\My Games\TrainSimWorld2\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor or Documents\My Games\TrainSimWorld3\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor
    a new one will be created automatically the next time you run the program.

Can all users copy the updated PieHid64.dll V1.0.0.2 from the DefaultSettings folder to the
    “SteamApps\Common\Train Sim World 2\WindowsNoEditor\TS2Prototype\Binaries\ThirdParty\PieHid\Binaries”
    For TSW 2 or “SteamApps\Common\Train Sim World 3\WindowsNoEditor\TS3Prototype\Binaries\ThirdParty\PieHid\Binaries” for TSW3

With this version I have altered the Raildriver.ini to allow a small gap at the mid point of the ThrottleAndBrake to make it easier to set the mid point usually 0 in the trains with a ThrottleAndBrake such as the Class 377 and 1972 Stock.
    I have added a folder called Manuals that now includes the Quick Start Guide, A full manual called "TSW Raildriver and Joystick Interface Manual" and a manual called "Using Notches" I would urge everyone to read them all to get the most from the program.
    The Using notches manual explains how to setup the 1972 Tube stock, the SEH465 and the Class 66 to allow the TrainBrake to work correctly. The manual will also aid in setting up other trains.

Merry Christmas to you all.

Chris

Last edited: Mar 24, 2024
    • Like Like x 5
  6. zappatime

zappatime Well-Known Member

Chris, thanks for this, were you able to resolve the random crashing in tsw3? I can get crashes almost immediately, or I can play for 60mins + and everything is fine, same route and service, totally random occurrences it seems; running tsw3 and the interface program under admin rights seemed to lessen the crashes - fortunately tsw3 (re)start up is pretty quick. Nevertheless, I’m currently working up a mk2 controller, such is the fun with your interface, thanks for your efforts and you too have a Merry Christmas

7. leedcorbin

leedcorbin New Member

Can anyone recommend notch settings for the 377?

I've used the recommended ones for the 465 from the manual which work great, however too big a gap from zero to notch 1 on the 377 and can't seem to reduce this.

Using the thrustmaster tca Airbus throttle which has been calibrated.

Thanks

8. Cerf

Cerf New Member

Hello, first of all thanks for the work as I've really been enjoying the tool.

I have a question: I would like to control the AFB lever on locos such as the 101 or the ICEs. I tried to meddle with the CruiseControl cab lever but as far as I've understood it is one of the functions that are not yet active. Is this correct? Or is there a way in the current version to also control the AFB?

On a side note, I tried to bind a joystick button to the PZB acknowledge, but it does not seem to work because apparently the game treats is as a lever? On the contrary, the PZB release can be bound to a button with no issue.

Thanks

9. CobraOne

CobraOne Active Member

Try this, don't forget to set use notches to Yes
    ECW Class 377 Notches.jpg

10. CobraOne

CobraOne Active Member

For the BR406DB ICE use
    BR406 DB ICE.jpg

In the game, the AFB lever is assigned to the TSW Cab Control 'LocoBrake'.
    For the RRO BR185 use
    RRO BR185.jpg

In the game, the AFB lever is assigned to the TSW Cab Control 'LocoBrake', and the Electric Brake is assigned to the TSW Cab Control DynamicBrake.

With regards assigning a button to the PZB acknowledge, there is an error in my program which I wil fix in the next release asap.
    Chris

11. fizzbin14

fizzbin14 New Member

Hi, thanks for working on such an awesome tool.
    I use a Rail Driver for control and it seems to work well with most of the stock I have used it on.
    One question, the speed display on the RD no longer works, is this as intended? Also I am having problems controlling the RABe 523, I cannot set the 0 position on the throttle/brake it's either at 4% brake or 11% throttle. It works OK the 1st time with 0 being at the min throttle position but after using the brake for the 1st time the brake extends beyond the gate into the throttle range.
    Now this may well be a TSW problem and nothing to do with the interface but what are your thoughts?
    Regards

12. CobraOne

CobraOne Active Member

I haven't worked out how to get the speed display working in my DLL yet, I'm concentrating on ironing out the small bugs in the program.
    I don't own the 523 so can't test it. It might be worth recalibrating your Raildriver in my program by going to Settings\Calibrate Raildriver.

13. fizzbin14

fizzbin14 New Member

Thanks Cobra, I thought that might be the case with the speed display, it's not a game changer :)
    I did recalibrate when I 1st had the problem but it didn't help. I might rollback to the DTG .dll and see if it is the same. I'll let you know in due course.
    Phil

14. fizzbin14

fizzbin14 New Member

Hi again, I tried the route using DTG's dll and it worked fine, so maybe a config problem with your interface.
    I understand that you do not own this route so I will hold tight until a solution is found or you can suggest something that I try to resolve the issue.
    Phil

15. CobraOne

CobraOne Active Member

Hi Phil
    One other thing you can try. Reinstate my dll, run my program with the ThrottleAndBrake selected in the enabled assets and then calibrate the Raildriver again in TSW.
    I appreciate you would have done this with the original dll, but all hardware has a unique id and in order for my program to work, I have to intercept the Raildriver and create an emulated Raildriver which uses a different id. Therefore, with my program TSW is looking for the calibration values for this new id.
    Chris

• Like Like x 1
  16. fizzbin14

fizzbin14 New Member

Hello again,
    That helped no end, I managed to get the control more or less as I wanted them, thanks for your help & suggestions and wish you well for the future.
    Regards
    Phil

17. Maclaw

Maclaw New Member

Hello
    Many thanks Cobraone for this soft. I used your first software on TS and now you proposed itfor TSW3. :)
    I download it and it works.
    I have a question about AFB or Cruise control i saw in others posts concerning AFB
    I saw that with DB BR146-2 AFB is assigned to LocoBrake and inside LocoBrake does not work.
    In others loco LocoBrake is correctly assigned to DirectBrake
    With TS it was easier to find the right name of mapping used and I remember I add inside the same loco 146-2 the CruiseControl in Masterjoystick Assignment.
    But considering TSW3, it seems difficult to find the good name I try these names inside Locolever
    Cruise Control or AFB BrakingControl not Ok
    But nevertheless we can use the key commands F and R with buttons
    Happy new year 2023 and Health to all
    Maclaw

18. Conductor B

Conductor B Well-Known Member

How do you remap the bottom row of buttons? There don't seem to be a specific files for each loco.

19. Maclaw

Maclaw New Member

Hi Conductor B
    I do not know if I answer to your question;
    Where you had installed your software for example
    C:\TSW Raildriver and Joystick Interface V1.0.0.4\KeyMaps\Buttons
    inside this file you have a Default_ButtonMapper.xml if you want create others buttons you can copy these file and rename it for example DB146_Default_ButtonMapper.xml
    When you launch your software on the menu you find KeyMaps and Cobra one as create directly inside a copy of Default or better a new one and after you give a new name and you will find it as I explained at the beginning of my post.
    After that you can Edit them and rename if you want every control
    Inside ControllerName you can assigned every Joystick buttons you have Right mouse inside an empty line
    You can:
    - Assigned Button to Currentcommand
    -Assigned Leverto Currentcommand
    -Edit Current command the best also you can modify all the Key it depends of your Keybaord for example French is Azerty in my case
    -Delete Current command
    -Add new command
    -Copy command
    and you can Assigned to loco

I try to help you with my bad english I hope that you understand and you have the pdf manual

20. vistavick2

vistavick2 New Member

Hello. Thank you for your efforts. I have the app working well for me with a Logitech quadrant throttle but unfortunately the app loses connection with train sim world 3 often. I have to manually reconnect and sometimes that doesn't work and it will just say waiting for TSW.

I don't experience any crashes with either the app or game. I wonder if anyone else has this issue.

21. zappatime

I get very similar occasional loss in connection with the latest version of CobraOne’s wonderful app (the earlier versions used to randomly crash tsw2/3 for me), with no pattern as to when, it can be almost immediately or I can play for a couple of hours before (if at all) it drops connection to analogue controls (push button inputs continue to work). I usually have to restart tsw3, if I notice its dropped control I quickly do a save and restart tsw3 and generally all works again. Its a bit annoying and seemingly totally random, but it hasn't stopped me working on a mk 2 diy controller unit!

I seemed to get less issues with running both the app and tsw3 with admin rights, but I feel at the bottom of all this is usb inputs being flakey - stuff thats connected but not being used at the time - I had oculus vr sensors that were a bit loose in my usb hub that would drop in and out and that seemed to cause tsw3 to drop connection with the app, but I cant be sure and running my train sim controller directly from my pc, not via the usb hub, I still got the occasional drop. For all I know it could be some odd windows process that interrupts it, clearly for some there is no issue with drops, but at the end of the day the app adds so much more immersion that I can live with the odd restart now that ‘save’ is working more or less ok.

22. fatnslo#7264

fatnslo#7264 Member

I have a Raildriver and unfortunately I am having the same disconnect issue.

23. diegomartinortega

diegomartinortega New Member

Same here only taht it doesnt connect at all, unless I reinstal directx 10 every time

24. vistavick2

vistavick2 New Member

For me it disconnects much more often with the Microsoft game pass version than steam.

Generally with steam I'm able to get through shorter routes ok. Unless I pause alt tab and do other stuff on the PC then something happens in the background to cause it to disconnect.

Usb devices do seem to be an issue because it disconnected as soon as I reconnected my Xbox controller.

25. CobraOne

CobraOne Active Member

TSW Raildriver And Joystick Interface V1.0.0.5 Released
    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/wj86....0.5.zip?rlkey=eef0lvcrie484i4y3b0bllsm7&dl=1

There is also a new PieHid64.dll that need copying from the DefaultSettings folder to either
    “SteamApps\Common\Train Sim World 2\WindowsNoEditor\TS2Prototype\Binaries\ThirdParty\PieHid\Binaries”
    For TSW 2 or “SteamApps\Common\Train Sim World 3\WindowsNoEditor\TS3Prototype\Binaries\ThirdParty\PieHid\Binaries” for TSW3

I have been working hard in my spare time, to fix the problem users are experiencing of random disconnects. I am sure you all appreciate that as I am a one man band and, as I don’t experience the disconnects myself, it is hard to diagnose the cause.
    Hopefully this update solves the problem.

I have also added the option to assign a button map you are editing, to a loco, while editing the button map, instead of having to save the button map and then select KeyMaps\Button Map\Assign to loco’s.

zappatime
    @vistavic
    fatnslo#7264
    diegomartinortega

Can I ask you all to try the new version and report back on whether it has fixed the problem for you or not.

Chris

• Like Like x 2
  26. vistavick2

vistavick2 New Member

Thanks. I'll report later when I have time to play.

27. vistavick2

vistavick2 New Member

So far so good. Played for about 3 hours with no disconnects. I even tried the game pass version of TS3 which seemed more problematic but no disconnects there either.

28. zappatime

CobraOne, thanks for trying to eradicate the random drop outs of control, I know it must be very difficult if you cant reproduce the issue on your own pc.

Well, first go, it lost connection with the analog controls after about 30 mins; I played another session later on for about 3 hours and no issues at all, I’ll give it some more use and see, the randomness is hard to fathom, but initial impression is that its dropping controls less frequently, hopefully.

29. vistavick2

vistavick2 New Member

3 more hours for me. No DC. Having a stable way to a quadrant throttle with a train sim is a game changer.

30. Conductor B

Conductor B Well-Known Member

Thank you sir! o7

31. diegomartinortega

diegomartinortega New Member

So far so good! Thanks a lot!

32. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I am trying to use your programme with my joystick, but I am experiencing a problem: The assigned buttons work as expected, but the Joysticks for Throttle etc. dont do anything in the game. I have followed these steps:
    - I have installed DirectX with the DXSETUP.exe file from your download
    - I tried to install Net 4.8, my computer said that it was already installed (or a newer version of it)
    - I have copied the PieHid file in the correct folder and renamed the old file
    - In the Interface, have assigned the ThrottleAndBrake, Throttle, and Train Brake Functions to my Joystick
    - I have edited the button map with my desired key binds
    - I have chosen a Loco in "Enabled Assets", clicked on "Start Callback", opened the game and loaded a route with that loco
    - As mentioned, the buttons work, the Throttle controls don't

Also, in the bottom left, it says "Waiting for TSW" even when TSW is running. I thought that it maybe has something to do with that.

Could you maybe help me? I'd love to use your programme.

33. CobraOne

CobraOne Active Member

It looks like TSW is not talking to my program.
    Can you confirm you copied the PieHid64.dll located in the DefaultSettings folder to the TSW folder and not the PIEHid64Net.dll located in the main folder.

34. vistavick2

vistavick2 New Member

I'm still having good success but I did have my first disconnect last night in over 10 hours of play. I think it had something to do with my xbox one controller reconnecting randomly. I usually make sure it's not connected before playing.

35. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

I can unfortunately only check tomorrow, however, I am very confident I took the file out of the DefaultSettings folder. So it should have been the correct one. But I'll check tomorrow right away

36. CobraOne

CobraOne Active Member

In that case, can you also try, right clicking on the program exe file and select 'Run As Administrator' and see if that helps

37. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

I now tested the programme a bit and it worked sometimes, but after a while, it just stopped. The file was the correct one and running it as an administrator didn't change anything.

But I found out that it did actually work, it connected with TSW and controlled the trains. After a bit of time though, the joysticks would stop doing anything in TSW, so I disconnected the programme and reconnected it. Then, it showed "Waiting for TSW" again.
    I then restarted both TSW and your programme and it worked again, but after a few moments, it did the same thing.

I tried figuring out what the problem was for an hour, but I couldn't find out.

38. CobraOne

CobraOne Active Member

Can you tell me your PC specs, including graphics card, amount of ram, cpu and which version of windows ie 10/11 and Home/Pro.

39. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

Yes, I have a Windows 11 Home Desktop with 16 GB of RAM and an Intel Core i5-9400 CPU (2,90 GHz).
    My graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with 8 GB of VRAM.
    Let me know if I forgot something or you need anything else. Thanks very much for your help!

40. CobraOne

CobraOne Active Member

You computer specs are virtually the same as mine, the only difference is I have a i7-11700k.
    Do you have any Antivirus software installed, other than the default windows Microsoft Defender?
    If so, could you check it to make sure it isn't blocking my program.

41. Fields

Fields New Member

Hi there CobraOne,

first of all, thank you so much for your work and making this awesome software available, it's outstanding!
    Is there any chance to get the AFB lever of my custom built cab controller to work (no problem in your TSC version of the program)?

42. CobraOne

CobraOne Active Member

Hi Fields
    Unfortunately, as there is no api that I can use to get information from and send information to TSW, like I can in TSC, the only way I can talk to TSW is to emulate the Raildriver or a keyboard.
    If in TSW you go to Settings\Controls\Advanced Controls you will see a pictorial list of the assets you have on the left side and on the right will be a representation of the Raildriver. If you select a loco, you can then hover your mouse over the levers/buttons and they will tell you what they are assigned to.
    For the AFB/Cruise Control, most us the rocker switch on the lower right which sends key presses, but some have the AFB assigned to the Loco/Ind Brake lever, in this case you could setup the lever map for the loco to use your AFB lever as the loco/ind brake and the AFB should then work.
    With the loco's that use the rocker switch, you could create a new button map for these trains and using the "Assign Lever To Current Command" assign the "Cruise Control Increase" to the upper part and the "Cruise Control Decrease" to the lower part. With this option, holding the lever in the upper position will make the AFB value increase, the same as it would if you held the key down and, moving the lever to the lower half will make the value decrease. Unfortunately as I say, without the api, this is the best solution I can offer.

Chris

Last edited: Feb 15, 2023
  43. Fields

Fields New Member

Awesome, thanks for your input, I will try this! Better than nothing, right? Let's all hope DTG will release an API some time in the future.

44. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

I tried disabling the antivirus software I have, that did not work either. It's really weird

45. stephie

stephie New Member

I also have a similar situation to Br425, trying to use my saitek x52 with TSW3. The application shows as connected the whole time the game is open, but the game doesn't display as if any raildriver is conencted. The "data sent to TSW" displays the correct values once on startup, but then there is no update to the values no matter what is changed on the joystick.

46. CobraOne

CobraOne Active Member

Br425 & stephie
    If you can bear with me, I will see if I can come up with an alternative solution for you both to try by the weekend.

47. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

CobraOne Thank you so much for your effort!
    You don't have to hurry, I am currently using a similar programme by a German modder (which only works when you have the HUD on). So if you do find a solution, it would be great, but otherwise don't worry too much :)

48. CobraOne

CobraOne Active Member

TSW Raildriver And Joystick Interface V1.0.0.6 Released
    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/liw8....0.6.zip?rlkey=xn6ukm879t09039sg0xp1sds7&dl=1

There is also a new PieHid64.dll (V1.0.0.4) that needs copying from the DefaultSettings folder to either

Further improvements to the code which hopefully finally fixes the random disconnects some users are experiencing.

zappatime, Br425 & stephie could you test the new version and see if it fixes your random disconnects and report back.
    Chris

• Like Like x 1
  49. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

CobraOne Thanks again for all your work! Unfortunately, the random disconnections still occur. However, it now shows a new message when it disconnects: "Pipe is broken - retrying connection". Maybe that helps

50. zappatime

CobraOne, thanks for your continuing efforts to fix the disconnects. I played 3 separate 1-hour or so sessions and had no disconnects. However, subsequently I’ve had a couple of them, with the same message as Br425 had (Pipe is broken…). It’s hard to tell whether this new version has lessened the occurrences, at first I really did think you’d cracked it this time, doesn’t put me off using it though!

Edit: CobraOne, is it your aim that at least it can (try to) reconnect if it does lose connection? Knowing immediately that it has disconnected would be helpful (so I can do a quick save and restart TSW3) - perhaps via an audible notification or pop-up message maybe?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2023