New User Having Issue Getting 64bit Version Running

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wolvestrains, Dec 5, 2018.

1. wolvestrains

wolvestrains Member

Hi, new so probably doing something wrong.... have installed TS2018 on my work laptop, its a new surface book so hopefully can handle it. Been playing the 32bit version and wanted to try 64bit but its not loading.

I tried launching from Steam and selecting run the 64bit game but it doesnt do anything after I get a preparing to launch little black box, with the 32bit version this box is followed immediately by a small game icon and it then starts the loading screens. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

I also tried clicking on an application file Railworks64 but nothing happens

2. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

What are the specs for the Surface Book? - Processor, memory, graphics, etc.

3. wolvestrains

wolvestrains Member

Its pretty top of the line I think for a laptop... it even appears to have two graphics cards...

• Processor: 2.6GHz Intel Core i7-6600U (dual-core, 4MB cache, up to 3.4GHz)
    • Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 520; Nvidia GeForce GTX 965M (2GB GDDR5 VRAM)
    • RAM: 16GB.

4. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

Your specs seem fine for the 64 bit TS2019. Sometimes, there are issues with the 64 bit installation procedure. There are ways of resolving it, but I'm not as familiar with the procedures as some of the others here on this forum. Perhaps someone else may be able to help you with this one.

5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I run it on my surface fine. Sounds like you need the prerequisites installed. Looking for the post which has them in now

6. ARuscoe

7. wolvestrains

wolvestrains Member

Thanks so much guys thats worked...

• Like Like x 1
  8. wolvestrains

wolvestrains Member

Performance seems much worse tho, very jerky in 64bit compared to the 32 bit running the same route..

9. TrainSim-Daniel

TrainSim-Daniel Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  10. Medellinexpat

Medellinexpat Well-Known Member

My experience is that issue with the dedicated and integrated graphics board has returned this week. There was a new Nvidia driver update (147.22 I believe) that continually reverts to the integrated board no matter what you try or following the instructions that DTG provided. I reverted to the earlier driver (147.1 which was only a couple of weeks old) and the problem was resolved. I reported to DTG who agree with rolling back the driver although saying that there were also reports that 147.1 was creating frame rate issues for Unreal engine users I.e. TSW users.

11. ARuscoe

Given you're running it on a laptop (effectively) my advice would be to limit the framerate (I did this from day one on the surface) mainly because although GPU is a term used, they don't compare in any way to desktop versions of the same name...

easiest way to do this is create a shortcut on your desktop to the railworks64.exe, go into the properties of the shortcut, then to the shortcut tab and change the target to be LIKE the following:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RailWorks\RailWorks64.exe" -FPSLimit=15
    Note -FPSLimit=x is OUTSIDE of the speechmarks

This will stop the game trying to ramp up the framerates constantly which stops a lot of the stuttering. IN busy places (mainly terminus stations such as London Victoria, Waterloo etc) you will still get slowdown because of heaps of AI, but I have driven many hours on the surface with much better realtime results using this (ie one in game second is equal to one real time second)

12. wolvestrains

wolvestrains Member