Rivets’ New Scottish Route

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Dec 22, 2022.

1. Bravo2six

Bravo2six Well-Known Member

Matt said it on a live stream a while back. He was listing off the some of the critera as to why some routes were picked over others.

2. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

That could be the case! Rails match up with the teaser at first glance.

3. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

Yes this does seem to look like the western side of Waverley station to me.

• Like Like x 1
  4. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

I must say I do like the way Rivet tease their releases. It's better than how DTG do it, where it either leaks or an article pops up out of nowhere revealing everything. I really like how Rivet post teasers which lead speculation in the right direction without giving too much away.

• Like Like x 14
  5. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Absolutely! DTG did this really well with the TSW3 announcement, but for the routes that came afterwards, absolutely no teasers at all were shown.
    All the forum threads talking about the Rivet teasers show why this is such an important part of a route DLC release and can significantly increase excitement in the community. You don’t even have to put in lots of effort… just post a picture or video that shows some info, but not too much ;) let’s hope we get lots of teasers in 2023!

• Like Like x 7
  6. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Remember the blurred images from last week?

• Like Like x 1
  7. bittesteigensieein

bittesteigensieein Member

I just hope the sounds are good.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TSW Nathan

TSW Nathan Well-Known Member

They actually sound quite good! Can't wait to hear the traction motors. Hopefully they sound just as good!

• Like Like x 2
  9. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

I'm really excited for the new route, especially with the Class 385.

However, what I wonder (or slightly worry about) is what the timetable will actually be like - this is the main factor of how much re-playability a route has in the long-term. This regards not just just playable services, but AI traffic across the whole route (especially at larger stations) as well as variation (such as interesting ECS/depot services) and potential layering of rolling stock from other routes etc. I was wondering, with it being a third-party route, would DTG with their experience of epic timetables such as London Commuter, Dresden, SEHS Extended etc would have been able to help in creating this new Scottish route's timetable?

• Like Like x 7
  10. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

I have read another user comment about the Something New line that introduced the first trailer.
    Something New - 385, Something Old - HST, Something Borrowed - Class 66, Something Blue - Railtour?
    Maybe I am dreaming but maybe..

• Like Like x 4
  11. MAX1319

MAX1319 Well-Known Member

So now that we know both 385/0 and 385/1 are on the route it increases the possibility of the Stirling station being included in the route and not sure how far their office is from the train station……that would be something

• Like Like x 1
  12. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Good point and for Rivet Games why not make it 2019 that's when the Class 314s are on their way out and the start of Class 385 services on Cathcart Circle as seen on Scotrail Twitter

• Like Like x 3
  13. max1313

max1313 Active Member

Is definitely the tracks heading west on waverly
    These is from the TSC Glasgow/Edinburg route 3378962A-93A2-44B2-89D6-7C5F13F2C166.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  14. Bravo2six

I am hoping that they'll either layer the 385/0 into CCL, or create a new timetable (hopefully the first one, like the 101 and 150 sharing services on WCL).

• Like Like x 4
  15. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

A new timetable is the better option since Class 385s did run on Cathcart Circle in 2019 when the 314s are ageing and needs to retire.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TSW Nathan

The new timetable for the 385 layering onto CCL could also include the carmine and cream livery option for the class 314.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Bravo2six

Better option? yes
    Realistic option? no

If it was a loco only dlc, then sure, I would expect as such, but as it's a new route in of itself, I'm expecting it will just be like the NTP locos and you can have any one of 4 in that service config.

• Like Like x 1
  18. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure rivet have used 'something new' in teasers before.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. TSW Nathan

Probably, but this still could mean something.

20. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

If it is Waverly that thankfully rules out their other offering G.A.R.L!

• Like Like x 1
  21. Bravo2six

Fictitious routes seem off the cards at the moment for TSW, so I don'tt think the GARL was ever likely.

• Like Like x 2
  22. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

That was not included for licensing reasons. Even though all but 5 of the 314s stayed in blood-and-custard all the way to retirement, DTG didn't include it because, even unbranded, it was a First Scotrail* livery (inherited from SPT). The game's all-Blue Saltire look is just wrong; to get some realism into the line (assuming you are on PC), use the Livery Manager to install one of several good CaC liveries (like mine) and then make 3 or 4 clones in Livery Designer to increase its spawn rate.

• Like Like x 2
  23. TSW Nathan

Personally, I don't like the idea of fictional routes. Holiday Express was a step in the wrong direction for me.

• Like Like x 7
  24. TSW Nathan

How on earth can you claim license to such a simple livery with no logos????? First aren't the only company that uses that on old trains.

• Like Like x 1
  25. TSW Nathan

I'm not a fan of the livery myself, it would just be to improve realisim.

26. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I reckon there is something of a diplomatic dance involved: while, in theory, DTG might be able to win a court fight, in practice they don't want to tick off First Group, which controls a number of TOCs DTG use or might want to use.

Alternatively, "Don't use the old livery" might have been a condition ScotRail placed on its license. After all, when TOCs play ball, advertising themselves is a major factor. (See, e.g., First's kibosh on the old blue Great Western livery)

• Like Like x 3
  27. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Holiday express is for me a little extra for people with children or maybe modelrailway fans. Why not, saves a lot of space.

About fictional routes, i wouldnt be interested in them, also didnt buy holiday express. Whats the point of a simulation when crossing the line and going fantasy?

If DTG might release an editor, well so everybody can just (re)create a route of their choice and thats fine. But i personally dont need any ufos, big cheese buildings and other immersion braking things in my favourite sim.

Only exceptions im ok, are maybe diverted hsts in l2b because construction works, stuff which is believable.

Well Rivet did also well with the slightly different livery on iow2022. For that we have a livery editor. (Better a close representation, rather than none at all)

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  28. TSW Nathan

I suppose. I hope DTG get to use First in one of their routes. Their livery is quite nice.

29. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

Oh I see

• Like Like x 1
  30. TSW Nathan

???
    What do you see?

31. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

Said the blind man, to his wife who was deaf

• Like Like x 3
  32. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure ScotRail's license isn't really one they place many demands on - they'll just want it done right.
    It's not owned by any private company, instead it's Scot Gov, who pretty much give it out to whoever's asking.
    (As far as I understand, anyone can use it for anything, so long as they follow the brand's identity guidelines.)

• Like Like x 1
  33. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

Has the route been put on steamdb yet?

• Like Like x 2
  34. TSW Nathan

It'll probably appear before or at the next roadmap

35. Bravo2six

Nothing yet.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  36. TSW Nathan

Any idea when the next roadmap is?

37. Javelin

Javelin Well-Known Member

Next Thursday I'd imagine.

• Like Like x 1
  38. TSW Nathan

Okay. Not this Thursday then?

39. Javelin

Javelin Well-Known Member

It could be but as dtg are only coming back to work this week I don't think enough progress could be made this week for the roadmap, I could be wrong though.
    Ps. Really looking forward to driving that 385.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  40. TSW Nathan

Ok, guess we will have to wait and see. You probably right though.

P.S: Me too! As a Scot, this is one of the best DLC's to come to TSW for me!!! :D

• Like Like x 1
  41. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

I actually used this comment as a motivation to get a bit familiar with SteamDB! Buckle up…

At first glance, there are no obvious signs of the new DLC(s) such as concrete file names, achievements and statistics. But perhaps they’re just more careful with that stuff now because DLCs were often leaked that way in the past.

If we look at the depots (essentially an internal listing of all the DLCs for the game), we can see multiple unnamed ones near the end. This is standard practice, like keeping some parking spaces ready for future content. However, multiple of these depots are constantly being edited these days, and one of them even has a size (above 4GB, so could be a route).

If we look at the history (https://steamdb.info/app/1944790/history/), it’s also very interesting to see which existing DLCs are being updated at the same time as the secret depots. We can see changes for WCL and SOS (presumably Rivet’s UK expansion pack and accompanying steam improvements/fixes), Boston Sprinter (Amtrak Acela Loco DLC), Class 20 and TVL (Class 20 Livery Designer Functionality). It’s a bit more difficult to find traces of Glasgow-Edinburgh and the Niddertalbahn because these are standalone DLCs with no major connections to existing content.

As I said, I’m not experienced at all with SteamDB, so I’m not able to jump to any more concrete conclusions here. But I think it’s fair to say we might see more concrete stuff appear in the coming days as all the developers return to work after the holidays and start making changes to the game again. Maybe some more experienced “data miners” can jump in and add things I may have missed. :D

Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  42. TSW Nathan

Maybe have a look and see if Cathcart has been changed at all. Presumably the Class 385 is going to layer onto CCL so surely there is some changes made for it???

43. Bravo2six

Cathcart was last updated 3 months ago, so, it's not looking likely. Unless it's just a straight "replace a 314 with a 385 and 20% chance to see ai 385s".
    Or just a simple coding change for the Newton and Neilston services.

Am hoping for these layers though.

• Like Like x 1
  44. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It is unlikely that a layer for the 385 will be created in Cathcart as layers for newly available trains are only added to an existing timetable (or a new timetable is created that includes it) when the older route gets an upgrade. If it can automatically substitute into existing services on Cathcart then that won’t require Cathcart to have any changes but substitution of multiple units isn’t something that usually happens.

45. Bravo2six

I'm just going on the fact that if it existed at the launch of WCL with the 101/150, then there's no real reason why the 314/385 can't work.

It would be a real shame if they didn't do a substitution layer for Cathcart, as I would much prefer that to a new timetable

46. max1313

max1313 Active Member

Hopefully we hear something tomorrow. The latest releases have been announced on Thursdays

47. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

I hope so too, but my main concern will they finally add more realistic train track or joint sound into it, such as the rumbling, and screeching where you hear the click-clack sound of the train. I really do hope so. :|

• Like Like x 2
  48. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

Is this your hometown train? I wonder how accurately they would portray to the one in the real world?

49. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

I think adding all the different train sounds would not be an easy task. Not only do you need the actual recordings from the train, but it also needs to be implemented correctly as in looping properly, a nonaudible loop, etc. Given how sounds already take a long time to create and a limited amount of time for each dlc, it would be not possible to implement every single unique sound for each train unless the devs had like over a year to create sound.

50. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

In the modern era I would imagine 99.5% of the Glasgow to Edinburgh track mileage is CWR, apart from loops and sidings.

• Like Like x 1