PC Uk Road Traffic Is Scary!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Monder, Dec 28, 2022.

1. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

So, according to BCC... I really wouldn't like to sit behind the wheel in the UK...
    upload_2022-12-28_10-30-52.png
    (overpass near Barnt Green)
    Considering this is made by a UK company... how does this even happen? Or is it an elaborate inside joke?

• Like Like x 10
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Yeah, they tend to do this on 4 lane roads sometimes. Funnily enough, traffic on similar 4-lane roads on Cajon Pass for example are fine. So if they can do it right on one place, you would expect them to do it properly at other routes as well. But apparently not, lol.

3. I'd say that's about right for uk roads.

• Like Like x 6
  4. aeronautic237

aeronautic237 Well-Known Member

Oh wow, I must say I am impressed with the crash statistic of the UK if we drive like that!

Is that an asphalt road or a concrete road?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Asphalt probably.

• Like Like x 2
  6. e.leerentveld

e.leerentveld Member

Agreed, this IS Birmingham after all.

• Like Like x 2
  7. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Who is populating the roads with traffic within the development process of the game?
    a) experienced in-house devs who know how roads work and have been given ample time to get it right
    b) outsourced foreign software company having a jolly good guess on a short turnaround contract
    c) unpaid interns/work experience kids/first day trainees
    d) out of work clowns sent by the job centre after falling over and custard pie season has ended for the year
    e) Maureen from Driving School

• Like Like x 5
  8. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I just did another run on Cajon Pass and realized I was wrong. On certain segmetns it's the same as this, cars going the wrong way, and the cars spawn/disappear right in front of you.

9. rjeeves#3580

rjeeves#3580 Active Member

Anybody remember the live stream (I think it was a German route) and all the traffic was on the wrong side of the road. It was fixed by the next stream. Not to mention the Dartford tunnel / bridge bug that had traffic going both ways over the bridge and through the tunnel (until it was fixed).

10. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Concrete does seem fairly rare as a road surface here apart from locations such as multi storey car parks. Probably because it's not such a good surface for the frequent wet and occasionally icy conditions we encounter here.

11. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

It rare although I remember when much of the M40 was concrete, before the extension to the M42. I think there is still part of the M42 which is concrete.

The trouble with concrete is the amount of road noise compared to tarmac.

12. I think they went thru a phase back in 60s. Growing up, a lot of roads in my area was concrete and apart from the noise they was in good shape.

Still a few motorways use this design as mentioned. I think the design come from the United States.

13. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Yes I remember from holidays to the US years ago, the freeways in places like Los Angeles tended to be a concrete style surface. Not very smooth to drive on, tended to be ridged and laid in large blocks with a noisy gap in between.

14. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I think it must be very difficult to spawn vehicles in-game, both technically and artistically so I'm not overly critical. I tend not to look too closely at road traffic because it always looks so comical, cars popping in and out, making stunt-like turns, riding above or below the roadway etc. And then there's the phenomenon of driving next to an expressway, empty of traffic for many miles, or the amusing sight of school buses at hours when children are fast asleep or should be.

( this is an old post, but one I think is worth repeating )

15. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Eh. Don't care about cars or their behavior. I'm all about the trains

16. yardem

yardem Well-Known Member

I'm driving an empty train, zero passengers. I can see a lot of cars on roads, but train stations are deserted.
    What simulator is this?!

• Like Like x 3
  17. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Aren't some of the motorways down South near the coast concrete too? Near Bournemouth? M27 is it? Could be wrong, I seem to remember the surface sounding like an aeroplane taking off.

This is why many think TSW is not a true sim but a bit arcady, perhaps Matt will agree one day.

18. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I love the fact that on US routes you can hear the police sirens- European "nar-nee" sirens, not at all the American air-raid howl.

19. fabienlimp95

fabienlimp95 Well-Known Member

It is but imo its not due to the passengers. TSC could be called a simulator in my eyes and look at those passengers.

Someone described TSW as Simcade, which i could fully agree on. DTG tents to fully simulate some aspects when they also dont simulate other aspects at all. Its like the Gran Turismo of Train Sims/Games. Which doesn't have to be a bad thing ultimately.

regarding the TSW passengers, i hope they'll sort this out some day because atm it isnt really realistic. Stations like Brighton or Birmingham feeling empty while little stations like bishorpstone are filled with passengers. Shpuld be the other way around really. Not to mention the zombie like behaviour.

• Like Like x 2
  20. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I was never that bothered about the passengers really, obviously it seemed like a good idea but then the way DTG have tried to implement Rush Hour borders on being a joke and a bad one at that so we are left with some stations being busy and others not. And I would put money on RH not being fixed for TSW2.

• Like Like x 2
  21. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Do we have Rush Hour passengers working yet or not?

I honestly can’t tell but one thing that hasn’t changed is their ridiculously stupid behaviour - they will walk down to the end of the platform and stand still for, quite literally, hours.

What do they do when I open my doors? Yep, they stand there still staring into blank space.
    What do they do when I close the doors? That’s right, they all start walking towards my train as I set off.

Genuine question but has passenger behaviour ever worked correctly in TSW? Even now, we still get reports of deserted trains and stations, as well as empty passenger stock still having passengers on it.

• Like Like x 3
  22. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

While I would love to see Rush Hour passenger numbers on BML, HAR and more recent routes, it doesn't mean very much if their behavior is so odd.

For instance, there are, it seems like, hundreds of people mobbing Rt.128 station on BPE, but they're not boarding the trains that stop there.

And they're often dressed inappropriately for the winter season.

And BML passengers do not alight from trains at Gatwick, even though the airport is clearly open for business.

And passengers travel to Yankee-153rd, but don't seem interested in going to the ballgame.

So, Rush Hour passengers yes. Mindless robots no thanks.

( I think we've drifted off-topic )

Last edited: Dec 31, 2022
  23. grumypop51

grumypop51 Well-Known Member

My money's on d) out of work clowns sent by the job centre after falling over and custard pie season has ended for the year.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

The on-topic term would be that we've gone off the road :D

• Like Like x 2
  25. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

Yeah it seems the size of the areas where the traffic spawns in\out on Cajon Pass are very short. Vehicles are constantly popping in and out along that road that parallels the track on the west side just outside of San Bernardino. Looks kinda bad. On Boston Sprinter just outside of Providence there is a big yard with a large highway beside it, traffic looks fine there. So they can make it look good if they want.

DW

• Like Like x 1