Help With Ap Download...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ntypeman, Jan 1, 2023.

1. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Happy New Year to everyone...

I'm having a few issues with D/L the AP Class 87 pack... I have 2 drives on my laptop (I hear the grumbles starting!!!) C & D drives.

C drive is a 256GB SSD and D drive is a 1GB HDD... I could do with a larger C drive but I haven't got round to upgrading it yet but It's something I need to do very soon!!!

My C drive is virtually full, but seems to have nothing more in it than windows, and all my TSC stuff is on D drive which is about 50% full...

When I try to D/L the AP Class 87 pack it tries to D/L it to C drive and as its nearly full it keeps failing!!! Is there any way to D/L the pack to D drive???

Thanks in advance

Eric

2. peterchambers

peterchambers Active Member

I don't have the 87 pack but many other AP products. My downloads from AP ALWAYS trigger a box allowing me to choose where to SAVE the zip to. ( Have just tried a sample download and successfully downloaded three new files today.) Mine are all in a folder on the F drive.

I wonder if your system/broswer has an option you can select to allow you to request to whence a download is saved ? Under "Downloads" in settings I have an option labelled - "Ask where to save each file before downloading."

If you have selected that option and are still given no choice of where to SAVE the file to then perhaps Mr. Armstrong could be asked for assistance. I understand he is usually very helpful. Or maybe someone else on here may be better placed to answer your query.

Good luck and Happy New Year !

Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
  3. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

Might be an obvious suggestion, but, have you tried cleaning up your C drive using disk clean-up? Windows has a habit of storing system files used when upgrading and you'd be surprised how much cludge accumulates.

4. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Windows cannot possibly be taking up all that space; a standard Windows installation is around 25GB, not 256. Even my bloated Windows.old installation is only 34GB. While unrelated to TS, please have a look through the C drive because you need to reduce the amount of stuff on there; having a full drive can cause issues and prevent updates from being installed.

As for the download, is it the ZIP file that you're having trouble with or when you're actually installing it? If it's the former, do as Peter says and set the default download location. And if it's the latter, the installer should find your TS installation by default but if not you can tell it where it is in the installer.

5. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

you would be surprised how much GB installer take up in the temp folder on a C drive. I cleared mines out the other week was 73gb!!!!

6. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I had a case a few weeks ago where my hard drive was suddenly full and programmes wouldn't run. It turned out to be the tempory files which I had never cleared out before, I can't remember the amount of GB I removed but it was huge.

7. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

AP seems to be better now at not leaving behind multiple GB in the Downloaded Installations folder (when I found out about this there were tens of GB there).

• Like Like x 2
  8. Måns Johannesson

Måns Johannesson Member

No, these goes to the Temp folder instead. You still have to clear these out.

9. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

How do you empty these folders?

10. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

Just select the files and delete, like any computer files.

11. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

He means where to find them I suspect.

12. Måns Johannesson

Måns Johannesson Member

usually C:Windows/users/<username>/AppData/Local/Temp

13. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I search %temp% in the search bar at the bottom and it brings the folder up. I can never remember where it is otherwise!

• Helpful Helpful x 1