Rivets’ New Scottish Route

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Dec 22, 2022.

1. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The difference is that the 101 already existed when WCL was made

2. solicitr

Not many of the routes modeled in TSW make that clickety-clack sound IRL, because jointed rail is rare and getting rarer.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ghawk2005

ghawk2005 Well-Known Member

Are DTG ever going to insist that rivet’s appalling 150/2 get fixed properly ? ? ? Do they even care?

It comes to something that a TEN YEAR OLD pack by AP is far better than river’s appalling rubbish !!!

Yet they’re letting them loose on yet another route?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bravo2six

Bravo2six Well-Known Member

It is on DTG's radar and is due to be fixed, as it is broken at the moment.
    They are aware.

I hate these "one company does better, blah blah blah" comments, they don't help or solve anything.

If you can make a better route, then please be my guest, go and make one and present it to DTG. If not, which I suspect is the case, then please be quiet.

IoW 2022 was a far improved route and, despite some issues, WCL wasn't that bad.

• Like Like x 12
  5. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Rivet did make changes to the 150 in their unofficial release on playstation. You could use the same argument with many other trains from different developers. You won't ever have perfect sounds. At the end of the day, it's up to the devs to decide what to do when they have the time to do so and what changes to make.

• Like Like x 1
  6. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Quite, the IOW 2022 is a very nice route, the train is very well modelled and the Luzern route looks nice, I haven't got it yet though.

I do think there are many good points about WCL, it might not be the best representation of Cornwall away from the stations, but I think it is a rather nice route. However, I agree they could have done more with St. Ives. My main issue with it is that of all the routes we have it really feels like half a route, stopping at St. Austell is very unfulfilling. Considering in TSC you can drive from Penzance to Paddington on a not badly detailed route, yet in TSW you can only drive a small fraction of that journey does show up that you are trading route mileage in TSC for better quality and detail but how much better, I am not sure.

I have a suspicion the new Scottish route will be very good and am looking for it.

It is not like DTG are a paragon of virtue and releasing faultless DLC, look at the state of SOS for example!

• Like Like x 5
  7. ghawk2005

ghawk2005 Well-Known Member

I’m not expecting perfection, even AP is not perfection, braking is a little weak on a lot of their products BUT the attention to detail both in physics and sounds are night and day compared to WCL’s 150. Just want something that’s close to the real thing. That’s all we’re asking. This isn’t.

• Like Like x 2
  8. MAX1319

MAX1319 Well-Known Member

Do you think Rivet’s UK route would be announced before or after the roadmap?

• Like Like x 1
  9. TrainGeek08

TrainGeek08 Well-Known Member

Hopefully before :love:

10. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

I was happy with SoS until I found that I could maintain high speeds on the flat with a heavy freight and the regulator. Physics are rotten. Also got that repainted 182 which lasted 20 minutes before a refund was applied for as the safety systems were bugged beyond belief and I dont play with them off. My experience of Rivet was IOW-refund and 204-refund. No way will I touch WCL based on others experience. As I have said before I am disappointed that they are doing a modern route which we all suspect is the E and G but hey ho. Definitely not a first day for me though watch analyse and decide at best. Reminds me in TSC of Just Trains doing the Kyle route. Wasn't great although credit for doing it. As a result nobody else will. Thomson Mallaig route is in a different league and shows what can be done. Fingers crossed etc. I wish I had the time to learn the unreal editor as right now those of us wanting BR era stuff are finished.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  11. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

The main problem with that one, was the author's insistence on placing an avenue of trees along the length of most of the route. Yes in some areas the vegetation is probably more dense than it was in the 70's and early 80's when I made most of my visits, but it's the north of Scotland, not Buckinghamshire!

As regards Rivet, well I've been playing on WCL a little the last couple of days and even with the sound mod, I have to grit my teeth driving the 150. I just hope the people getting in a frenzy over this new route are not going to suffer a huge disappointment when it arrives.

Even their remastered IOW is not as good as some claim. The 484 lurches off when you engage Notch 1 and at full power/line speed sounds more like a DMU than an EMU. And their signalling set up shows a lack of understanding of the prototype - with distant signals off when the section signal is still at danger and a green colour light signal straight on to a red. Had the same thing on WCL too, two runs on the Down now coming into Truro, the section signal at the end of the platform stays "on" until station duties are complete but you get a clear distant signal on approach.

The one area where Rivet do shine (a bit) is they do seem slightly inventive with their scenarios and Journey mode, though I doubt the driver stabling the 150 at Long Rock would fuel his own set and then only one of the two cars at that!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Bravo2six

I just remember this being buggy as hell, stations not registering and the insanely long wait times at stops because you'd make it far too much time to spare so just having to sit listening to level crossing for 8+ minutes. Definitely not one to be using as an example.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jpantera

Example of what not to do. With the note that once its done then nobody else will attempt it and best hope is a several year wait for some fixes.

14. MAX1319

I’m hoping for an announcement this week. I’m really looking forward to this route. Hopefully we will get lots of information on this week’s roadmap.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Bravo2six

I would like to see them at least acknowledge some of the pressing issues, or at least give an update on some of the fixes that have been months in the making.

• Like Like x 1
  16. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

The issue here is that we don't know what to expect from Rivet.
    Luzern-Sursee and Island Line 2022 both score good points when it comes to scenery, Luzern and Island Line both have good trains as well - the 484 being better than the Swiss one, it seems.

Looking forward to Edinburgh - Glasgow (which seems to be the consensus for what the UK Route will be), it's rivets first OLE (UK) EMU, so that could be an issue. Then again, they did well with the BR 484, so perhaps it's less to fear.

Edinburgh-Glasgow hardly has the Beaches of Cornwall or the Alps of Switzerland going for it. The majority of the landmarks on this route are manmade. The main concern for me is that they get the Urban Areas right, which i would hope they do. I don't see any reason for concern when it comes to the 385's model, it looks good from what we've seen, and I don't fear much that the stations will be horribly wrong. Queen Street and Edinburgh are the main worries, particularly the latter.

Moving onto the timetable and, quite fortunately for an Intercity route, it won't feel dead without other stock.
    There's a hundred (or so, I think I counted 102) Edinburgh Waverley - Queen Street services, which will all use the 385. You also would (if it's a good TT) see services from Queen Street <-> Croy being drivable, around 2 an hour, I believe.

At the Edinburgh End, there are Cumbernauld line runs which go up to Linlithgow, as well as services that would go via Falkirk Grahamston towards Stirling. As well, Edinburgh - Glasgow Central services via the Carstairs Line could be used by the player, as far as Haymarket. Just a wee shuttle. North Berwick and Reston/Dunbar services at the other end of the station could be done by the 385s too.

The only other train that really gets some good usage on this line would be the Inter7City HST, but it disembarks the western end at Croy (without stopping afaik) and the Eastern side after Haymarket.

And, some people will be wondering about the 314 - if you're lucky Rivet might be nice and stick it at the junction where the Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway meets the mainline, to represent the Class 614 Hydrogen Testbed.

All in all, I look forward to seeing how this route turns out. Hopefully Rivet's Proximity to the route helps them out.

• Like Like x 5
  17. solicitr

Rivet's urban landscapes are pretty good, except that they're all too clean and pristine. Even Switzerland isn't that perfect in real life.

• Like Like x 1
  18. MAX1319

Any chance they include the tram as AI around the haymarket and Edinburg park stations

19. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Just a little SteamDB-related update: The rc_shipping branch (which is historically the branch where game updates are being finalized shortly before release) is getting regular updates, with tons of activity overall. The latest change includes modifications to WCL as well as two unannounced DLCs, one of which is likely Glasgow-Edinburgh due to its file size. This means that we might get Rivet’s route and their WCL expansion pack in relatively quick succession if they’re making changes to all these things in the rc_shipping branch at the same time.

20. MAX1319

I hope we get an announcement before Thursday’s road map

21. AndrewWhite96

AndrewWhite96 Member

Confirmed Edinburgh to Glasgow

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 10
  22. turbostar#4215

turbostar#4215 Active Member

Beat me to it ahaha, interesting to see if more achievements come out and whether they include any branch lines etc

23. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

That’s very good to hear. Hoping for an imminent announcement, I’m 90% sure they’d like to get this done before the roadmap on Thursday.

• Like Like x 1
  24. MAX1319

I suspect as early as tomorrow. Most of the announcements come out on Tuesday. Maybe we will get a release date as soon as next Tuesday.

25. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Given that support for the route was added to the game with today’s update (look at the patch notes in SteamDB and the PS5 trophy list), I really think this could come out within the next 1-2 weeks at the latest. They apparently have lots of patches (nearly) ready to go, so there would be no reason to include support for new add-ons now if their release wasn’t imminent.

26. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

There are only 3 per dlc now.

27. MAX1319

What are the chance we get to see all 385 in the route? a total on 70 units
    upload_2023-1-9_15-53-29.png

28. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Can anyone please confirm the overall number of trees on this route? Does it go past Edinburgh castle as I'll be keen to see if this makes it into route or is omitted like Truro cathedral (I think it was)

• Like Like x 1
  29. trainsimplayer

We've already seen both variants so it's a yes

30. trainsimplayer

Overall Number of trees somewhere been 12 and 1,000,000.
    And Edinburgh castle is above the line departing from Waverley. Impossible to miss (from an external view)

31. MAX1319

What are the chances we see the tram action by AI around haymarket , the falkirk stadium, and air traffic from edinburgh

32. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

Anything is possible but definitely don't get your hopes up.

33. Bravo2six

Truro cathedral wasn't ommitted, rather, substituted for regular churches to provide a similar outline as the route doesn't go anywhere near it.

• Like Like x 1
  34. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Working on this basis then I expect Edinburgh castle to be represented by a warehouse asset :D

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Truro Cathedral is there, or a representation of it, I think John Loughborough Pearson will be spinning in his grave however on seeing it!

36. trainsimplayer

AI around Haymarket - the 385 could do some extra stuff there, so I don't see why not.
    Falkirk Stadium - unlikely, it's more on the Grahamston Line than it is Falkirk High. Abysmal Stadium I may say, as a lower-league Scottish fan. Would be better off without it in game.
    Air Traffic, possibly.

• Like Like x 1
  37. MAX1319

I meant the if they would include the tram around the haymarket not to drive but as AI.and as far as the Falkirk stadium I’m hoping they include line to include falkirk grahamston and camelon for services heading towards Stirling/Alloa/Dunblane. I know is a long shot but I’m hoping they copied the route from TSC

38. Bravo2six

I've rather it be represented with swiss cheese than totally ommitted

39. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

This route

I wonder how close they can represent the landmark in the game such as the sports stadium, and the rotating boat lift system, and how far in we can explore the terminal?

40. MAX1319

So now that we know the main route is Glasgow/Edinburgh How many timetable services do you think we will get. I’m not sure how the 2019 timetable looked but If they go with the current time table service is every 30 minutes except from 715AM to 9:45AM and 16:15 to 18:45 which runs service every 15 minutes which totals around 96 services. Maybe Some AI services around queen street,Haymarket, and Waverley,some Tram action around Haymarket
    upload_2023-1-9_19-40-26.png

Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
  41. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

Here a review of the Class 385

42. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Quite excited to see this route. Is there any opportunity for layering with the Class 314 or does it not head over towards Edinburgh?

43. Jpantera

So to be clear TSW has no class 334, 170, 156,158 nor HST with sliding doors, no Class 91, 800/802, 221 or 390. I'm certain of an empty Waverley then.

• Like Like x 5
  44. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Seems to be a lot of hope for loco dlcs. At least Rivet could go with a 156 or 170. The trains run in their backyard and the documentations are available too. We do have the tilt technic, so even a pendolino should be possible, also there documentations are available.

As much i like the class 385, i really cant understand why hitachi choose to create a train design with such poor visibility. I would loose patience and cut that bellows away with a grinder.

At least a 170 with a voith hydraulic transmission would be a second chance to get over the class 150 debakel.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
  45. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

You won’t find 314s anywhere near this line.

• Like Like x 1
  46. OldVern

Do we? Citation needed please.

47. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Thanks, so it appears we'll just be seeing the 385 and no other layers.?

48. MAX1319

Nothing official but the route name is on Xbox and PS trophies
    upload_2023-1-10_6-31-24.png
    upload_2023-1-10_6-34-24.png

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  49. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

I'm so sick of hearing this phrase. The first version of SEHS proves that just because a route/trains are local it doesn't mean they'll be automatically great.

That being said, I have high hopes for this route. There's like four different routes between these two cities though, do we have any definitive proof for which one it is? I'm surprised that it looks like it'll be one going to Queen Street, one would have thought they'd have opted for a route to Central.

• Like Like x 1
  50. OldVern

Fair do's... but, "Loco Level"? Once again shows how little Rivet know or understand about railways. Class 385 is a multiple untit, not a locomotive!

• Like Like x 2