Cajon Pass Feedback

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by richardwwoodward, Sep 3, 2022.

1. We need difficulty settings, So- Easy, Medium and Hard.

Hard can be for full air brake simulation so it doesn't take 15 seconds to charge up the air brake on a 50-100 in length freight.

It takes much longer and without this Cajon Pass is not rightfully simulated. Taking a 5000tonne train down a 3% grade is very serious but only when you know about the REAL braking system. Apparently it was changed in Sherman Hill. Because people hated waiting correct times to charge the air brake. Is there a way I can alter the settings in a file somewhere so I can get it back to realistic? I thought they were using Simugraph!!!

This will be good for those who just want to drive a train arcade style select easy and you don't need to learn anything really.

• Like Like x 1
  2. No, the air brake settings have been changed and are now "arcade" and not a simulator style.

I heard that in Sherman Hill there were players that were impatient and didn't want to simulate the air brake charging times.

So now it takes seconds instead of 5-10 minutes to charge an air brak. Which I am disappointed with after DTG has made all this noise about simugraph. And it being a 'simulator'....

We need difficulty settings, So- Easy, Medium and Hard.

Hard can be for full air brake simulation so it doesn't take 15 seconds to charge up the air brake on a 50-100 in length freight.

It takes much longer and without this Cajon Pass is not rightfully simulated. Taking a 5000tonne train down a 3% grade is very serious but only when you know about the REAL braking system. Apparently it was changed in Sherman Hill. Because people hated waiting correct times to charge the air brake. Is there a way I can alter the settings in a file somewhere so I can get it back to realistic? I thought they were using Simugraph!!!

This will be good for those who just want to drive a train arcade style select easy and you don't need to learn anything really.

• Like Like x 2

3. Matt,

The whole challenge of bringing an air brake train down Cajon Pass is missed now.

The air brake charges at an unrealistic setting. It is too quick to charge..... :-(

Can you please offer us a solution? (Or let us change it somehow in the .ini file or a doc file somewhere????)

Like:

We need difficulty settings, So- Easy, Medium and Hard.

• Like Like x 1
  4. argh.bailey

argh.bailey Active Member

Just done U-LACHOU6-06 90 vehicles & 5541.8ft in length. There was next to no delay between applying the air brake & the reading being the same at the rear. Brake pipe recharging was just as fast. From releasing the airbrakes to both ends of the brake pipe being 89-90 psi was always less than 2-3 seconds. On previous services I've driven I got frustrated after 5 minutes waiting for the rear to raise above 80. 15 minutes into the drive later the rear was still only at 85. How come two similar runs can have quite different behaviour?

5. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Were there locomotives at the rear?

• Like Like x 1
  6. argh.bailey

There were, but I'm sure there also was when I had it take ages to recharge.

7. Interesting.

8. It should take ages to recharge.

9. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

If you have locomotives at the rear then they will contribute to recharging the brake - this was a change requested by the beta testers and specifically the railroad engineers in the group.

• Like Like x 5
  10. argh.bailey

Thanks Matt, good to know, it makes sense. Do they also assist with applying the brakes or is it just recharging?

11. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Yes

12. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

@ Dark Wolf:
    I've encountered this situation on other routes, including Southeastern High Speed and it's definitely demoralizing. Let's hope that someone from DTG sees these messages and moves those final stop markers -- this should be an easy fix, shouldn't it?

13. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

I didn't see it in the patch notes but they fixed the issue with the final stop marker on service Z-ELPSDG6-04. You can now reach it without going out of bounds.

DW

• Like Like x 1
  14. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

Good to know

15. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

You are mistaken, the air brake simulation has not been changed to be more arcade. All that was changed is that the service no longer starts with completely zero air in the system, so it doesn't take 15 minutes to recharge before going. This is actually more realistic than it was, as you wouldn't be given a train with completely dumped brakes.

So it's still the same air simulation, you just don't have to wait 15 minutes before starting, as the train doesn't spawn entirely out of air.

• Like Like x 4
  16. JPS

JPS Member

Yesterday I tried the ES44C4 in Cajon Pass for the first time. Custom scenario from creators hub, but I don't think that can be the issue.

As the train was moving with like 15mph on a 2.0 grade I decide to get up from the drivers seat and check the other locomotives (yes, while it was moving). I went to the 2nd and it seemed to be set up correctly so I wanted to go back to the lead.
    Turned out I could not walk back into the lead. I got stuck at the 2 steps on the side of the locomotive and could not get past that point into the cab :(
    Then I jumped off the train and determined that I could run faster than the train was moving, so I figured I try and enter it from the front. Again I could get on the train, open the outside and inside door, but could not pass the corridor into the upper part of the cab :(

• Like Like x 1
  17. Suryaaji#2369

For someone who thought "The rear indicator goes up to 90 immediately after releasing the brake." is because the air brake simulation changed to arcade style, you're wrong. The rear immediately goes up to 90 because now the rear DPU also charged the brake pipe, it's make us think the brake pipe charged at unrealistic laughable rate, but no, the rest of the train still charging up even though the rear and the front shows 90.

• Like Like x 1
  18. NateDogg7a

NateDogg7a Well-Known Member

I have had the same problem, where an invisible wall develops, either in the front entrance, or the one behind the driver. This was using a downloaded livery in one of my own custom scenarios. I don't see how that could make a difference either, but perhaps it does? I would also note that I have not yet experienced a situation where both entrances are blocked, yet.

19. Suryaaji#2369

20. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

I think this may be related to giving up control of the train. Once you do that you can longer operate it as engineer. If you are driving and you leave your seat or the cab an eventual warning will come about giving up control that you have to answer. It's a very similar situation. Is it possible that the warning did not appear for you guys? Or that you missed it? And if it wasn't there I would assume that the act of leaving the seat equated to the same action by the game. Maybe? Perhaps?

21. JPS

JPS Member

No, there was no warning. And I have done this before in TSW2 and it never was a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  22. NateDogg7a

NateDogg7a Well-Known Member

Actually it is funny that you mention this. It caused me to remember that, one time, when I sat down again it DID ask if I wanted to take over the service. It was very odd because I was never asked to give up the service to begin with! So, you have jogged my memory and it does now sound like the player is being removed from the service with no warning. Now, the question is, is this related to custom liveries, custom scenarios, or something else?

• Like Like x 1
  23. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

I've had an issue with getting stuck in a moving ES44C4 as well. The first time I encountered that fog bug I got up from the drivers seat and went down to the front walkway to check visibility there and then could not get back up the stairs to the main level of the cab. I was able to eventually do it by crouching and standing over and over while moving forward and left and right towards the stairs. Took a bit of trying but it popped me back up.

It sounds like this was supposed to have been fixed in the last patch?

[ES44C4]
    • Fixed issues relating to player getting stuck in a moving train.

DW

• Like Like x 1
  24. Yes after testing in the CSX route I found it to be unchanged. Multiple locotrol locomotives through the consist have confused me but realistically they do charge the brake pipe faster.

25. JPS

JPS Member

Or they just kinda reversed it. I don't get stuck IN the moving train, I just can't get back into the cab :|

26. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Control-Zero will teleport you back to the driver's seat

27. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

There is an odd issue on the section between Barstow and Victorville that interferes with the movement of the Boom Camera.

Normally when using the Boom Camera and you are zoomed out completely it looks like this from the side :

[​IMG]

But what happens along some of this section is the camera moves in really close when you rotate to the side like there is an invisible wall close beside the tracks on either side. How limiting it is varies, sometimes you stuck this close :

[​IMG]

This is the area where the above shot was taken :

[​IMG]

Hopefully they can remove this limitation in that area so its like the rest of the route.

DW

28. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I did this service today and didn’t get the out of bounds message. I stopped 33ft early but from these reports the out of bounds happens well before that. But I was able to complete the service. I’ve not read an update note that this has been fixed but I have a theory…

This may be two bugs cancelling each other out. I did the service entirely in external cameras and when I have done that on longish services in the past and then tried to return to the driver camera it doesn’t allow me and the driver character is also missing from the cab, as if the game has forgotten I’m there. So potentially I didn’t get the out of bounds because my player character wasn’t in the cab to actually go out of bounds (even though I’m still in control of the train). On some occasions after driving for an extended period in external cameras the game will crash when I attempt to go back to the cab. This has been a longstanding issue in TSW but I’ve never made a formal bug report about it as it hard to pin down exactly what’s happening, how long I have to be in external cameras for it to happen and whether it results in me being stuck in external cameras or experiencing a crash. Here, it may have allowed me to drive out of bounds and get to the finish marker.

29. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

Yeah, it looks like this was fixed in that early October patch.

DW

• Like Like x 1
  30. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

That’ll be why I had no issue with then!

31. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Something I've noticed, but the foliage around the route is very different depending on what part of the route you are on.

From Barstow to Victorville, its decent and does represent the area quite well.
    [​IMG]

Once you get to the area around the actual pass however, it just completely falls off. Not sure why, but I assume maybe it was quickly done to meet TSW3's deadline to release, would be nice if a later patch could improve it so the shrubbery in the bottom pics look alot closer to the top pic.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

32. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

I have developed a steady rejection of the SD40-2 on the route. I do not think that I have preconceived requirements for the quality of the locomotive. I have a hard time accepting its texture quality. Very similar to a cheap repaint from TC. I compare it with a Sand Patch Grade locomotive and admit that it is of much lower quality. It seems that it was sculpted in haste from improvised material in a very short time.

It also seems to me that it has a very bright (poisonous) orange color, which needs to be slightly muffled.

I'm wondering if I'm the only one experiencing this feeling?

• Like Like x 1
  33. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

When travelling from Victorville to Barstow there is a level crossing where the whistle board appears to be way too close to the actual crossing. Its at this location :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its this one on the south side, the whistle board on the north approach seems to be spaced right.

DW

34. solicitr

By FRA regs should be a quarter mile away

35. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

I pasted together this screenshot to illustrate, standing at the boards on either side of the crossing (making sure the map zoom was the same) you can see the spacing is quite lopsided.

[​IMG]

I think the distance to the northern boards are consistent with the rest of the route but that southern one is conspicuously close.

DW

36. Dinosbacsi

Got TSW3 recently, the ugliness of the american close trackside scenery never fails to amaze me.

The distant scenery is quite good on the route, but funnily enough, the area you spend 100% of your time in, around the railroad tracks, is almost always completely empty, just barebone repeating-pattern textures. How comes the distant scenery looks better than the one you're actually supposed to be in?

And also, what the hell is this? First time I noticed something like this was on Clinchfield, but how is terrain like this still accepted right alongside the tracks?
    [​IMG]

Something is really wrong with how US routes are built in TSW.

• Like Like x 3
  37. I love Cajon Pass in TSW3.

It is amazing quality.

But hey if you don't like it go and play Train Simulator Classic. I'm sure you'll love it!!! LOL

38. Well my rear wasn't on I think and it charged up too fast.

No flow meter either. It is 0 on the SD-70....

Sherman Hill.

Long train down a grade that is mountain.

Rear says 70PSI even I have units on the back.

So I think DTG has a little ways to go before it can be like a real train.

I don't know why Railroads aren't using this to teach their trainee enginemen.....??

39. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I mean, Kujus Cajon Pass from 2008 has better ground textures than DTGs TSW3 version, so yeah....

And both are inferior to Cajon Alpha.

• Like Like x 1
  40. Dinosbacsi

I tend to play both, as each game has their advantages and disadvantages. I do prefer to play TSW, as the controls and HUD are much better and it runs smoother than TSC as well (due to TSC's old game engine not utilizing every CPU core properly). But TSC has more variety, including japanese routes and other stuff that I really like.

Route quality wise it all depends on route building. If both a TSC and a TSW route are built with the same quality, the TSW route will be better, simply due to the higher quality assets and better graphics thanks to the modern game engine. But the sad truth is, most TSW routes are built with less care to detail than TSC routes are. Less accuracy, more empty spots, reused assets, etc. And this is amplified by the fact that such shortcomings will be more obvious in a modern game engine with better graphics. I mean a big plain empty patch of grass in TSC is something that you more easily accept, as it's an old game with a 10+ years old game engine. But the same thing in an Unreal Engine game in 2022? That's ugly.

41. Dinosbacsi

Some more beauties from my run the other day.

A big hole in the ground right alongside the tracks. Really?
    [​IMG]

And could we have the track ballast at least be the same color as the ground ballast texture underneath? Totally ruins the visuals through the whole run.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I mean seriously, what is this? Looks like someone built this using Kato Unitrack model railway tracks.
    [​IMG]

And to top it off, I am just going to leave this screenshot here. Beautiful skies, then... whatever that is going on below the horizon.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  42. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

This is a problem in the entirety of the game, something really needs to be done to smoothen the transition.

• Like Like x 2
  43. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

I disagree. Track ballast is as varied and differently applied as many other things in the world. And, it is not the same as the "ground ballast texture underneath". I've seen stretches of track that have many different sections of different ballast types and colours, and since it sits atop the ground base, it always stands out. Based on real world examples I find this concern to be nonsensical at best.

I do agree though that in the one image the tracks looks like Kato Unitrack on some kids layout who has not yet applied any scenery materials. This absolutely should be "fixed" or filled in with more ballast or weeds or something.

• Like Like x 1
  44. max#2873

max#2873 Well-Known Member

Agreee! without realism this game (us freight) gets boring very fast

• Like Like x 1
  45. max#2873

max#2873 Well-Known Member

Agree SPG is the best so far texture route and the only having snow cover on locos.

46. Dinosbacsi

But at least some routes manage to get it right and the ballast matches, so it looks pretty good.

Depends. Newly laid track will look somewhat similar to this, as the dividing line between track ballast is still sharp and the ballast will still have the original shape. But as time goes on, old ballast falls to the sides, making the edges smoother and creating a more natural blend between the tracks and the ground. And it's clear they are trying to recreate this effect, as they put ballast textures on the ground underneath the tracks, except it's not matching in color, making it look bad. While in comparison, some other routes, especially british ones, make a pretty good job to blend the two together.

As for the shape of the ballast standing out, it also depends. Track ballast in yards and at stations tends to be flat and even, something which the game often forgets to recreate.

• Like Like x 2
  47. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with these points, but I still hold that the variety is not "wrong" Just needs a little a tweaking. To me it is a minor annoyance and just a fact of the game's parameters at the moment. Perhaps in future the scenic devs will pay closer attention.

48. Dinosbacsi

Well yeah, for starters if it simply matched the ground texture undeneath, it would be good. All they need to do is match the colors, which is not that big of a task (plenty of routes already do that successfully).

• Like Like x 1
  49. solicitr

The thing is, IRL ballast often doesn't match the ground texture. It's brought in and dumped by MOW trains and may have been quarried hundreds of miles away. What I find most annoying about the ballast (often) in game is the hard dividing line which gives it that model-railway look; it should blend in as the gravel tends to slide down and spread out unevenly. This would be easy enough to do with judicious use of transparencies.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
  50. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

THIS - the transition should be gradual from color A to color B