PC Crr 3016 South In Journey Mode

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by doublefine7, Apr 9, 2021.

1. doublefine7

doublefine7 Well-Known Member

So I started this service in journey mode and I can hardly get the train to move. So it is snowing, I am preparing the train and set it up properly but cant get over Notch 3 since I then get wheel slip. But Notch 3 gets me to a max speed of 0,5 mph which is... kind of weird since I think a journey mode chapter shouldnt start with a service where you can go max 0,5 mph because Sand doesnt help in any way.

If I am doing something wrong here, tell me please.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Use sanding. I am not sure what you try to run, but getting started at a grade can be very hard. What should work:

Keep the brakes applied
    Apply power, notch 2 should do and wait till the amps increase.
    Now release the brakes slowly and apply sanding.

Be very patient, it may take a few minutes before it really moves.
    If it does not work: cry and try again.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. doublefine7

I tried that already and I am running on 0.5 mph for like half an hour.

I am running a SD 40. I tried that several times and it is at least to me impossible to get up to speed here. If I missed something, then I raise the question whether that is not explained in the tutorial.

• Like Like x 1
  4. sequencer2k16

sequencer2k16 Well-Known Member

It took me 3 hours and 9 minutes to finish CRR 3016. :cool:

While the train climbed the 1.5% grade in Notch 3 at 0.6mph, I did homework. Then I went shopping, cooked and had lunch.
    After the first tunnel, the train was running 0.9mph at 1.1% grade and at 11,3mph I could FINALLY shift into Notch 4 without wheelslip.
    20210409211540_1.jpg

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  5. mbritchie94

mbritchie94 New Member

I was having the same issue and it was very frustrating. What I learned was to apply full independent brake and release the train brake before attempting to move. Power up to the 4th notch and slowly release the independent brake to around 75%. Once the train starts moving you can continue VERY SLOWLY releasing the independent brake by about 3-5% at a time until it is fully released. By this point you should be up to around 3mph, but do not try to change into power notch 5 until your amps reach around the low 700s. If I recall correctly I had gotten up to around 6.5mph until I could use notch 5. From there the the train will be much easier to operate and gain speed.

6. doublefine7

Hm, looks like I gonna have to try again. Nevertheless I personally thinks that it is quite hard to put such a challenging setup for a service at the beginning of the journey.

EDIT: The solution from mbritchie doesnt work for me since I cant get the independent brake to release below 65% without the train getting immense wheelslip. So to get through this, I have to basically sit for 3 hours here and wait. Good gameplay.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  7. mattw#8380

mattw#8380 New Member

20210410194418_1.jpg
    Thanks for the advice! 2h 59m to beat then! LOL.... I started as advised with the long slow 0.6mph excitement - then the Brewdog AGM happened, and 7 beers later I was at the top of the hill, and it was then a fantastic boozy thrashy run!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  8. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

How are the locomotives positioned in the train? This may be one of those DP setups, which in CRR apparently means the "helpers" are dead weight, not helping at all.

9. mattw#8380

mattw#8380 New Member

The other loco's are powering. it's just broken. once you get to the top of the hill.... thrash-o-rama!

10. solicitr

What traction do you have, and what is the train weight?

PS: from a full service train brake application, it can take 5 minutes or more for the brakes at the back of the train to release- you're wasting your time trying to pull against that)

11. doublefine7

This service has no helpers. You have 3 SD 40 units chained together. And the train brake argument isnt working here since all brakes are released and you are still going on notch 3 for 0.6 mph.

12. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

struggle.jpg
    So we're now racing this one? :D Anyway, I have originally posted this in a different thread. The run is definitely a challenge, but it probably should be a bit more doable for it to not be 80 minutes of 0.6 MPH.

13. shamanspark

shamanspark Member

2:42h
    this mission ... xD

• Like Like x 1
  14. solicitr

The issue is traction: snow and ice, you can't overpower, or the wheels spin.

But probably not very well thought out......

(IRL CRR would probably have used a couple of switchers or Geeps to boost the train up the first hill)

15. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

So I've just literally started this journey chapter and thought I would try something since I don't fancy spending hours doing 0.6mph.

I released the breaks and guided my train backwards down the slope just to see what gradient is behind me. While it doesn't level out completely, it does go down to a 1.1% gradient. I stopped with using a combo of air/dynamic brakes, put the air to full service while I got myself ready.

Put my train into notch 3, build up the amps, released the brake and my journey begins. By the time I got back to the starting point, I was in notch 7 doing 11mph :) Hope this helps!

• Helpful Helpful x 5
  16. Glazier

Glazier Member

Yay, rolling back works.

atlast.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Mega bump... Just tried to start this scenario and the issue has not been addressed. Was able to get to about 3 MPH in Notch 4 before I unwisely decided to go for Notch 5. Sliporama. This scenario is definitely not working as intended, locos should have more adhesion than that. Also sitting holding down the "x" key for several minutes is not good for the keyboard buffer or my neuropathic finger.

I know this route is now another abandoned "former" DLC but it would be nice if DTG could revisit and put a bit more power on the train, with banking comms implemented too.

In the meantime I'll have another go tomorrow rolling back to get a better start at the grade.

18. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

You´ll find that the grade stays at 1.5% and that you´ll hit a red light from behind. ;)

I´ve done this scenario .......... aaaahhh I`ve lost count how many times. Only yesterday I was able to finish it. And indeed, it dang sure is for nerds!
    3 mph in notch 4 is the best you can get until the tunnel, don´t even think about notch 5 because as that will backfire. After the first tunnel you can go gradually higher on 5,6,7. Never forget to sand, do this scenario in one run(!), don´t use the save game feature to finish later as this might lead you into a red light issue with another northbound train (see screenshots below)! Contrary to many other scenarios in TSW, this one will not be revisited by me and replayed. Phewwww ...

Since we are at the "mine´s bigger" contest: 1h50min ;)

CRR_3016.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  19. OldVern

Okay I'll watch out for that, though if a SPAD does occur curious how those who claimed the backing up method worked. Maybe there's a manual switch that can be thrown to avoid the signal. I'm wondering if another method might be the solution adopted on one of the German routes which was impossible to complete due to poor adhesion - detach a portion off the rear of the train?

I am so tempted to ignore the CoC and tag someone from DTG in this*. Clinchfield was another one of those routes released with a massive fanfare, we all bought it and here we are 21 months later and it still has all these issues. Fair to say, none of these "Journey" runs were actually tested by live players before being bundled in the route.

*Sorry DTG Alex DTG Matt

• Like Like x 1
  20. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Some users relate that the grade goes a little lighter to 1.1% when you roll back. Which should make this easier, indeed.
    I didn´t see it, but then again I had my hands full with sanding and braking to bring the monster to a stop. Before I SPADed ...

Your great idea to configure a different path to avoid the signal didn´t cross my mind. It´s definitely worth a study.
    But you can drag the train at 3 mph until you reach the first tunnel. It does work on notch 4 and doesn´t take thaaaaat long. (I took a shower meanwhile :) )

I remember a german scenario - I think on MSB - where the only solution was to cut 5 tankers from the train to get it up to the top, indeed.

21. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

It's pretty obvious that on many routes the journey mode and the weather setting on the runs were made up completely random with no care or testing at all.

I mean for example on LIRR there is a journey run when you have rain or snowfall, with completely clear night skies. Makes no sense at all. It's obvious that someone would not make a setting like that if they did it themselves.

At least on CRR there is some logic to these runs, with the different chapters for each branch. But yeah, pretty sure nobody tested them after creating them, othereise they would have noticed these impossible runs.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

I´m obviously no real train driver and have therefore no clue, but what *IF* this is the real behavior under such circumstances? I think this kind of freight operators doesn´t care about speed. They need 5000 tons of coal ported over to another place, whatever time it takes.

I seem to remember a similar scenario on RRO with a double headed G6 where you have to rescue a broken freight train (Hibernal Heaven?). Also under winter conditions on a grade and the G6s behaved similar to the SD40s. It took ages to get it running and one notch on the throttle more would cause immediate wheel slip.

23. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

It might make sense if they miscalculated and the train stalls midway. But if it can't even leave the yard? Surely they would slap on another loco.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I would live to be able to actually do that. It requires more freedom to set switches and pass signals in a kind of freeroam mode.

25. OldVern

Back to the original matter at hand though, really how long would it take for a DTG scenario author to go in and change either the weather parameters, the load of the train or attach an additional loco and put out a patch? Five minutes?

26. solicitr

The problem is the season and weather. This service is perfectly drivable in the dry. The problem is that nobody checked- even when it was made part of the Journey setup- that there was enough usable traction in winter. IRL of course in snowy conditions the RR would assign a helper engine or two to push it up the hill out of the yard.

27. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Thanks Bill, I got it. Would be pragmatic to employ some helper locos here, sure.

OldVern
    I´ve checked again and, indeed, rolling back some 300m will put you on a 1.1% grade. There´s no danger to hit a red light, it´s quite far from it.
    Was just me loosing completely control of my train and skidding to SPAD.

28. OldVern

Indeed. Of course the problem being, even if DTG amended the scenario to add a helper loco or two, with no working banking comms on CRR we are still stuffed.

Anyhow looks like rolling back then gunning it is the inelegant workaround to avoid dying of sheer boredom!

29. OldVern

Can confirm rolling back nailed it, got up the initial 1.5% gradient at a comfortable 10 MPH and now cruising the rest of the run.