Adding More Variety Of Passengers

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by ben#4827, Jan 11, 2023.

1. ben#4827

ben#4827 Well-Known Member

We need more variety of passengers and behaviouris. Starting of I'd like to see wheelchair passengers requiring a ramp which you'd have to put down to allow the passenger to board

2. Children. In real life many passengers are children who are traveling with there famillys and would just feel more realistic seeing kids with their mums and dad's boarding the train.

These next ones are passenger actions on the train.

1. Passengers falling asleep very occasionally. In real life your sitting on a train coming home from your job at 10 pm and wham, you've fallen asleep all the way to your destination and before you know it your being woken up by the driver (which would be you) with the lights out and in the sidings/depot.

2. Passenger emergency alarm activation. If this alarm gets activated in real life the driver would acknowledge and be able to speak to the passenger requiring assistance. But in the game you'd be required to stop at the very next station and wait for emergency services to arrive to deal with there situation.

• Like Like x 1
  2. lucasfor49

lucasfor49 Well-Known Member

Uhh... why does 1 sound very oddly specific...

Jokes aside we need more variety so good suggestion

• Like Like x 1
  3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

1 - this could be done with a diorama
    2 - again, dioramas on stations so you could have a group of older kids or teens, or families
    3 - slumbering passengers could be on the train as a passenger behaviour, or on the platform as a diorama
    4 - This would fall under the category of random delays, and the issues there are that it affects the scoring and timetables, and right now in timetable mode this snarls up the dispatcher over time (imagine ten such instances within a few hours and how the dispatcher deals with those units being delayed by twenty minutes or so. Would be easily doable in a scenario though

4. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I agree passengers could use more variation. They all seem to be the same size currently. And from my own experience, I can tell that people (including those who travel by train) come in different shapes. Some are tall, some are short. Some are... well... tall in a horizontal direction, so to say. :cool:

Then there's the different types of luggage they might carry, also depending on the route and day. Students with backpacks on popular school routes, travellers with huge coffers on their way to the airport, etc. Then there may be passengers with disabilities, using wheel chairs or guide dogs, or any other kind of help.

And then there's the thing that in TSW all passengers seem to be travelling alone, while in real life, many people travel in (small) groups. They also seem to be walking at the exact same speed, while in real life, some people really may be in a hurry. Haven't seen anyone make a run to catch their transfer in TSW, which honestly isn't a very uncommon sight while travelling by public transportation...

But, what bothers me most, is that many TSW routes still have empty stations. I'd prioritize sprinkling the current passenger models all over the stations on all routes to make stations more populated (yes, I guess that means bringing a Rush Hour update to every route), over adding more variety. But honestly, both would be welcome additions.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tibomatthijs

tibomatthijs Well-Known Member

Nice suggestion!
    Iirc they are working on tech to make f.e. wheelschairs easier to develop, afaik they will not get into trains, only be as diorama.

More variation and maybe more detailled passengers is a must have in my opinion!

6. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Well, seems inclusitivity only goes so far at DTGs office. Wheelchair users have enough troubles getting into places and being able to fully participate in communities. Interesting to see they get the same unwelcome treatment in a game.

Might actually be a worse PR than not including wheelchairs in the game at all. I do hope you're misinformed though, and if DTG implements wheelchairs, they'd actually be able to get on trains, like they should.

Just like any other disabled people, no matter what kind of disability they have.

7. ARuscoe

To be fair, DTG were creating a train game about trains. It's not "passenger simulator"
    Not sure how passengers are handled in other train sims and whether they're "fully represented" as you're espousing here

8. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Many games don't have passengers or only basic ones. So in that regard, TSW certainly isn't doing badly. The only game I've seen that includes wheelchair users, and also providing the gameplay mechanics to get them onboard, is the Bus Simulator series.

My point was that including wheelchair users as station users *only*, not being able to board trains, is probably worse than not including them at all. Although I guess you best ask the community of wheelchair users to hear their opinion about it.

9. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

I think unfortunatly that hoping for advanced passengers will remain a hope. DTG is already struggling with basic passengers :
    - a lot of bugs still (passengers not boarding trains, not moving once out, empty trains despite rush hour, or all passengers out on 2,3 first stations..)
    - lack of animations (boarding trains, sitting on benches, sitting in train)

So i would mostly request that bugs get fixed.
    Now for variety i am for ofc, i would like to see more size differences (thin and thick guys, children or elder as suggested)
    One thing i would also like to see in dreams well is... luggage...

10. ARuscoe

I'm sure they have...
    Likely implementation of dioramas within the station and on the train in the appropriate spaces similar to what they do with passengers now, with some finesse of numbers so it's not every train and station that has such passengers as would happen IRL

11. ben#4827

The main reason for trains is transporting passengers so when you see the same ones over and over again getting on your train. It gets boring

12. ARuscoe

Which completely discludes the whole freight scene...
    And I am sure the driver should be paying more attention to stopping points, speed limits, signal aspects etc than whether there are fifteen clones sisters on the platform...

Honestly I get the point you're making but do you want the system devs to be spending time coming up with an excellent passenger variation system, or stopping passengers walking on the tracks etc?

13. ben#4827

Yes everyone should agree the passenger bugs need to be priority over something not at vital. I do see your point. But when these are fixed I think that passenger variety should really be considered in upcoming routes. DTG in the past have practically introduced one new feature on every route they've done and on any upcoming routes they should consider new passengers

14. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

I don't know, imagine the PR if they implement them using the current passenger AI, and we have viral videos of trains running into wheelchair users who wandered onto the tracks.

15. ARuscoe

Yep, this is what DTG do... they implement their dream possibilities which often messes up the fundamentals and then by the time they've fixed the fundamentals they've introduced three new "dreams" which messes up something else.
    It's one of their quirks

16. tibomatthijs

tibomatthijs Well-Known Member

Thing is with UE, its hard to get objects into a move object, thats why passengers also teleport. They should code and make stuff to make is easier and still not sure if its possible in the end with UE...