New Dlc And Dlc Manager

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by antony.henley, Dec 21, 2022.

1. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

So with the recent announcements of what to look forward to in TSW 3 and boy it looks great, I and more to the point most other owners of PS5's with over 65gb of DLC that we cannot use, have to say. That I wont be purchasing anymore DLC until the DLC manager is released. Finito, FIn, end of. Nil , Zilch Obviously the dlc wont all be released at once but I am and most possibly everyone else sick to death of DLC tetris for the PS5. So lets hope that when the minions at Dovetail Towers get back to it in January they can expedite a speedy but safe release of the DLC manager before any "new" DLC is released. Apologies to the rest of the non PS5 bearing community but this needs to be sorted poste haste.

Cheers
    Hentis
    And the rest of the TSW 3 PS5 Community

• Like Like x 18
  2. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

I haven't purchased any TSW DLC for a while now. Got sick and fed up with removing DLC that I would want to play to make room for something else.

So, until I can play all the DLC that I own without juggling them around then no more DLC for me.

• Like Like x 6
  3. goochdog#5870

goochdog#5870 Well-Known Member

Tradition for me is for my daughters to get me two or three DLCs for Xmas . Pointless for me to do so this year . So that’s more money that DTG won’t be getting and I’m happy about it but that’s the way it is

• Like Like x 3
  4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’ve been looking at my PS5 storage and once the DLC limit is fixed my hard drive will be full. I’ll have to be looking at culling routes from TSW2 to make room and my other half will have to only have a couple of games installed at any one time. At present she uses more space than I do. Why keep TSW2 after TSW3 is fully fixed you ask? It’s there as a backup and when I prefer the old lighting for nighttime drives when the new lighting and its perpetual darkness is introduced to more old routes in TSW3, which looks likely.

As for when DTG fix the PS5 limit, there’s nothing we can do to hurry them up, and I hope they are ready for the enormous cash boost they get when everyone can buy DLC again. My PS5 TSW3 install is staying exactly how it is now until it’s fixed. The elf fitted on because it was tiny but no room for proper new routes.

I just don’t want to play tetris and I’m only playing the core routes (and the elf) in TSW3 anyway and everything else is played in TSW2 for now, complete with forgotten bugs etc.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ApollonJustice

ApollonJustice Well-Known Member

Nothing to add!

6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Having said what I’ve said about TSW3 staying as it is, and it definitely is, there is currently a sale on the PS store and there is the opportunity to do what I did on the last sale and buy stuff specifically just for playing in TSW2. All the DLC from my TSW2 wishlist are quite heavily discounted. It’s the RHB pack from last Christmas, the G6 shunter and Harlem Line, to complete my collection for TSW2 (not quite all the DLC there is but everything I want) so, try as I might to resist, and with the likelihood of needing cheering up with Christmas Day potentially being cancelled due to bugs in the family circle, DTG will probably still get some more money from me before the DLC limit is fixed. Money isn’t the issue for me here, it’s purely the limits on usability of my game. After that, I can’t get anything new until TSW3 is sorted, however shiny it looks.

7. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

Not gonna happen, 66% of players can still play it just fine.

And honestly being a PS user myself I put this on Sony. Why did they change the rules after the PS5 was out for almost a year.

What is Sony's slogan? "Play has no limits"? Then why have they instituted a DLC limit on PS5, and a 50DLC limit on PS4.

So in my opinion you should be bitching at Sony, and are barking up the wrong tree.

• Like Like x 3
  8. jon_mann

jon_mann Member

I don't believe Sony did change anything, as IIRC Matt explained it was in the original documentation but they didn't see it and also Sony I doubt was expecting any developer to release so much content for one game. Most other developers add it to the core and have the DLC as unlock keys so this problem doesn't exist. That is why games like Call of Duty get so big over time and same with the 50 DLC limit on PS4, Sony would never have expected a game to have that much dlc.

9. fabienlimp95

fabienlimp95 Well-Known Member

Im pretty sure i read about some players having games on their PS4 with over 50 DLC installed. Is there anything official that confirms that there definitely is a limit on the PS4 aswell ?

Remembering when Add-Ons Manager was rolled out for TSW2 and player reported missing layers. If you have a look in the technical forum, there are players that are experiencing ghost trains with missing locos since Add-On Manager.

I have the concern that this isn't gonna help but causing even more problems (i really hope im completely wrong here) but i dont have the trust that this will happen just smoothly. Especially as i havent got any Problems on my PS4 whatsoever and im struggling to find a reason why this was necessary in the first place. The 50 DLC Limit feel like a justification. Or they knew about it, because why would they introduce a solution for a problem 'that didnt exist' before? Lets see what it brings.

• Like Like x 1
  10. antony.henley

Oh yeah I know that but I have to try yes?
    I blame Sony as to why they have imposed or have a 65gb DLC limit in the first plast irrespective of DTG Beakers not reading it. X box and Microsoft have no such thing so why do Sony, What is the reasoning?

Can confirm that the PS4 can only use 50 items of DLC installed. Currently on the PS4 version of TSW 3 (on the PS5) i have about 60+ items of DLC. The DLC I am missing (as I have bought everything) is The recently re issued New Journeys Timetables for SPG,BKL & SKA, Birmingham Cross City Route and Bremen Oldenburg.

At the request of DTG Alex I re installed TSW 3 on my PS4 Pro and added all my UK and German DLC (routes, locos and other assorted bits and rollingstock) totaling at the time about 45 items of DLC. Which was fine. I have since added BCC and BRO and the Holiday Express DLC. I was told not to go over the limit of 50 items. This was the response I received from the Alex was as follows

"Thank you very much for testing this for us - we believe the DLC limit is actually 50 items and not 64 items, so if you currently have 50 DLC items installed, please be aware that adding any more may again cause future content to be an issue - and as you know sadly on PS4 you can't manually uninstall single content either.

As you currently have 45 items installed, and you plan on purchasing upcoming content I wouldn't install any more until the addons manager is released.

As for Sony's comment, they didn't mention this when we asked them about a limit but there is something in the product manuals for the PS4 which is harder to find - thank you for being patient :)"

So there you have it.

Hentis

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. antony.henley

Heh yeah this is the downside of having all the DLC on the playstation is you cant buy anything in the sales lol. Unfortunately having TSW 3 on the Xbox as well but not all routes means that I can get some in the Xbox sales..... Yeah right from what I can make out its just the starter packs on sale. Very poor show indeed.

Hentis

12. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Xbox always gets the mucky end of the stick. PC players are laughing if they need some older stuff, which is practically being given away on Steam. I’m still totally hooked by TSW so will eventually buy most DLC. I have just downloaded my threatened three purchases to TSW2, so I couldn’t resist the bargains, but haven’t opened them yet. Harlem Line and the Arosa Christmas pack will give me some entertainment but mostly looking forward to the G6. All 40% discounts.

There are only a few DLC I don’t have now for TSW2, and am very unlikely to buy them. The M3 for LIRR, the 1938 stock for Bakerloo and the BR 204. I think they are the only DLC I don’t have now and I look at them and think ‘Nah, not for me’ based on what I’ve seen and read about them. So, I’m up to date with the older stuff now and it’s only the TSW3 releases to look forward to in future sales.

There was a question in the survey about when you normally buy DLC and one answer was When they are discounted for the first time and that’s the one I ticked, because it’s usually at least a 25% discount for most wanted routes and for stuff that I only buy for variety’s sake I wait for a 40% discount.

With the DLC limit still on TSW3 I’ll be unable to buy anything until it’s fixed, so I can relax now and not even think about buying anything else for a long while. It makes waiting for sales easier, the only upside of the ongoing issue. And I do have plenty to be getting on with!

• Like Like x 1
  13. antony.henley

Ohh nice. The M3 is ok but the Br 204 is the best out of that lot. I recommend it. It now subs in on a lot of German routes as well as the G6 which is bloody awesome and I have found some new love for the 204 and G6 now they are layered on Bremen Oldenburg. Definitely would look at getting the 204.

Hentis

• Like Like x 1
  14. fabienlimp95

"Something in the product manuals".... As long as I haven't seen anything official from PlayStation side im staying in doubt that this is true. I've lost trust in DTG and as I've said im in doubt this add-on manager will roll out smoothly without interfering with the current gameplay and in doubt it'll actually will help the game perform better that it is in its current state.

If it does im will be more than happy to be completely wrong. But like i said, we will see.

15. fabienlimp95

I would stay away from the 204 as the physics of this loco are completely wrong. It looks good and may be a great AI filler, but nothing more than that.

• Like Like x 1
  16. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

That’s been my whole take on it. The G6 (and the 363 I already have) will be plenty of shunting locos, and the incorrect transmission of the 204 is a big turn off.

17. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

What about creating a second and third account on the PS5 and downloading on each of it around the third part of the TSW3 dlc's? That would be around 50 GB's and it would be within the dlc limit. So you could play on the first profile your US, on the second the UK and on the third the German stuff. Did somebody tried that or knows if it would be functioning?

Best Regards

18. kennyjamesscott

kennyjamesscott Well-Known Member

PS4 limit is region specific mostly. After I uninstalled my TSW3 during December and installed it back I don't have my German content restored but I'm pretty sure I exceeded that limit with some margin.

Regardless, it does make me wary and I seriously consider ditching PS all together for XBox as Microsoft doesn't seem to have the issues Sony has introduced.

• Like Like x 1
  19. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Only one account owns the DLC. Would be a great scam if an account that didn’t own stuff could download it and use it.

20. florians#7620

florians#7620 Well-Known Member

You would have to purchase the DLC‘s with the different accounts too though. So you would pay for something you own twice to get around the DLC limit. :(

21. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
  22. Oelix

Oelix Active Member

What I've been wondering:
    As a German player, I mostly have German routes (on PS5). In December I apparently hit the 64GB ceiling even though I thought I was still quite a bit away from that - Bremen-Oldenburg would not show up until I got rid of Spirit of Steam. Now I only have German stuff plus SEHS and the TGV route installed, Luzern had to go too.

Since the German stuff is interconnected and some user-made scenarios include the TGV (and some even the FLIRT from Luzern), I now only have SEHS to uninstall should I want something else that is new. Let's imagine a new nice route gets released like Niddertalbahn - doesn't that mean that the coming Add-On-Manager becomes useless? Then all the things I have will probably be necessary, if not by DTG then by user-made scenarios which often require extra stuff? As far as I understand, the manager only mounts the things needed but cannot do anything about the 64GB limit. What happens when there is more than 64GB that is actually required for everything to be there?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  23. glenfargsjfc#9424

glenfargsjfc#9424 New Member

I can’t describe how angry this has made me; I’ve bought the latest Birmingham route but because I’ve got so many other downloaded routes I can’t use it? Are you serious? TSW has just plummeted in my estimation by a huge amount. Will not be bothering with any future content. Shoddy way to treat the fans

24. Oelix

Oelix Active Member

Well, on PS5 you have to uninstall something else in terms of TSW3 content. You can do it clicking the "Options" button on the controller and then "Manage Game Content", so at least you can pick what route you want to uninstall.

25. glenfargsjfc#9424

glenfargsjfc#9424 New Member

That’s a workaround at least; I wasn’t aware of that so thank you. It still shouldn’t have to be the case though!

26. phillip.good

phillip.good Well-Known Member

Amen to that. Was playing Tetris…. Then stuck with German content as it was more varied…. Then, frankly, stopped playing over Christmas and am yet to get back into it….

27. antony.henley

Hopefully we will hear some good news over the next week or so.
    We seriously need a fingers crossed emoji.....

Hentis

• Like Like x 2
  28. simontreanor81

simontreanor81 Well-Known Member

Well JD did say they didn't want to release it before Xmas in case there were issues, so fingers crossed it's not far off. It's made me play the game less too, I must say - it's one thing to have addons split across two applications, but there's something more appealing about everything being in one place, particularly with the random journey option.

• Like Like x 1
  29. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Unofficial update: It's definitely getting much closer now. Latest test builds are mostly feature complete with one thing left to resolve, most of the other issues are dealt with and in my limited testing on my PS5 it's been behaving well.

Not going to put an attempt at a release date on it yet, but its feeling close now.

Just also want to clear up how this situation happened...

When TSW2 launched, the 64gb DLC limit was NOT in place on the PS5, so it went through all of our (and Sony) testing without any problems at all. We also had numerous conversations with Sony about the changes in PS5 to look out for, points to note etc and this didn't come up.

Some time after the release of TSW2 there was a system update on the PS5 and suddenly people started reporting problems, this was traced to a limit of the volume of DLC that was installed and was a newly introduced limitation with that system update. Upon further investigation we did find that this limitation was mentioned in surprisingly casual and extremely easy to miss list of bullet points somewhere in a very thick developer document for the PS5 - essentially it was always intended to be present as a limit, but wasn't there in the launch PS5 system update, and added later. So on the one hand, yes, we missed a small note in a thick document and that's on us.

*throws hands in the air*

Since that moment we've been working hard to get this fixed, but it has literally involved rewriting most of the fundamentals of how the game accesses data, changing it from a game which simply expects all data to be present (and if its not present, it's not there) to a game that dynamically mounts and unmounts DLC on demand and has to know whats there even if it's not "there". The impact has been tremendous and has kept the one or two engineers constantly working on it for the entire year. There'd be no benefit adding more to that, it's been getting as much effort as it possibly could as a priority.

I appreciate that's little solace for those of you struggling with the situation but I did want to assure you we are very keen to get this out as soon as its possible, nobody is slacking or under-appreciating the importance of it.

The more recent PS4 limit just adds more fuel to that fire, but thankfully is all the same fix so its on its way too.

Soon! It's Nearly there!

Matt.

• Like Like x 13
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  30. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

I sometimes wonder if Sony regard TSW as a nuisance and would like us all to clear off to buy an X box. I had the opportunity to buy a PS5 recently but didn't bother because of all the issues surrounding it. Plus it's an ugly great big thing. I'll review the situation when the dlc manager is up and running, maybe they'll bring out a slim version eventually.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  31. Oelix

Oelix Active Member

Hey Matt, thanks for the reply!

I still wonder though: Won't we inevitably get to a point where there is so much interconnected stuff in terms of routes and loco DLC that even an addon-manager will not suffice because of the still-existing 64GB barrier?

32. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Anything's possible - but - if you're no longer loading all the UK and US content while you're trying to run a German route that makes a huge saving. Plus - locos are significantly smaller than routes.

Currently that size difference doesn't help because it still needs to mount the entire product to get the little loco or wagon inside it BUT next phase would be to investigate splitting loco's out into their own DLC depots (backend thing, you'd still buy a product as normal but it would come with a bunch of things that can be independently mounted and unmounted). Once that's done, the chances of you having 64gb of 1 route and hundreds of locomotives is... slim.

This pushes the bar back quite a way, but as you say, not indefinitely - just hopefully to where its not a problem for the foreseeable future and plenty of time to look at the longer restructure.

I guess I want to say "don't come away from this thinking wow so even THIS doesnt fix it" - this WILL fix your issues for the foreseeable future. But, we are aware of longer term possible challenges and already looking at them.

Matt.

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  33. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Oh yes, I agree. I could have used it on numerous occasions. There is one, of course, but the emoji choices in the forum are severely limited.

34. antony.henley

Thanks for the update Matt, it's really appreciated.

To be honest my faith in Sony and the PS5 has really taken a hit over the last year mainly because of the "Play has no limits" tag where it obviously does have limits.

PS4 Total Amount of DLC Limited to 50
    On the PS4 version of TSW 3 on the PS5 I currently have about 60+ items of DLC installed it only started going wrong when I went to download and install the SPG, BKL and SKA New game additions.

The PS4 pro version I have of TSW 3 I have about 45 or 46 items of German / UK DLC. So no Swiss, French or US / Canadian content installed.

PS5 total size amount of DLC > than 64 gb i have a total of about 16 UK & German routes and about 5 loco dlcs installed thats it.

Now I find out whilst trying to stram via OBS Streamlabs and My Elgato HD60 S that because of Sonys insistence that HDCP must be disabled and that I cannot use both headphones and HDMI audio at the same time. Yet I get no problems with the Xbox series X. (havent 100% tested yet with the Xbox but will be soon when I am feeling better. I have this flu virus thing for the past few weeks.. #notcovid!)
    I have ordered an Elgato chat link pro cable for the PS5. But yeah Xbox seems so much easier than the PS5 and Sony's "Play has no limits" monicker really needs to go somewhere where the dun doesnt shine!

Hentis

35. Oelix

Oelix Active Member

You've achieved that, thanks! I was worried about rolling stock being permaglued into the big route packages.

36. IfICanDream

IfICanDream Active Member

Very much agree here. Does everyone think DTG made this limitation? Your fingers should be pointing at Playstation. It’s the only thing that makes sense.

• Like Like x 2
  37. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

Glad to see a fix may soon be at hand. I've gotta be honest as a result of this limit I've barely played on TSW3 over the past few weeks.

38. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

I ended up getting an Xbox Series X last week... and noticed TSW3 is actually sitting there in my game pass subscription (base game only). I am half tempted to get it since I'd be free from the DLC limit. But at the same time the money to re-buy my DLC library from PS5, or even just half of it would be monumental. Probably better off just sticking to PS5 for this game and using that money for Flight Simulator add ons.

39. ApollonJustice

ApollonJustice Well-Known Member

Thanks for the (unofficial) update on this. Still can't wait for it...

• Like Like x 2
  40. antony.henley

Wel I am getting (eventually) all the routes for the Series X (Through Sales etc etc) over the next year or so as and when I get enough You Tube Revenue. I am happy to have the game and dlc on both Gen 9 consoles (and Genb 8 for that matter. lol.

Hentis

41. photonmonkey

photonmonkey Well-Known Member

So on TSW3 PS4 I have 57 add ons installed apparently, so are we saying that 7 of them will not be appearing in game?

42. simontreanor81

simontreanor81 Well-Known Member

PS4 is fine I think.

43. antony.henley

No one or two of them will not show up. Any more content you add (new routes etc etc) will not show up as well.

No, PS4 can only have 50 items of DLC installed.

From DTG ALex (sent to me) a few weeks ago. Its also in my pst up the top(ish) of the page.

"Thank you very much for testing this for us - we believe the DLC limit is actually 50 items and not 64 items, so if you currently have 50 DLC items installed, please be aware that adding any more may again cause future content to be an issue - and as you know sadly on PS4 you can't manually uninstall single content either.

As you currently have 45 items installed, and you plan on purchasing upcoming content I wouldn't install any more until the addons manager is released.

As for Sony's comment, they didn't mention this when we asked them about a limit but there is something in the product manuals for the PS4 which is harder to find - thank you for being patient :)"

Although the DLC manager "Should" fix this problem as well.

Hentis

• Like Like x 1
  44. photonmonkey

photonmonkey Well-Known Member

Thanks for the confirmation Hentis, will bear this in mind before making any further purchases.

45. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

Since you have both I’m curious if you’ve noticed any performance difference?

46. antony.henley

Better framerate on the series X :o

Hentis

• Like Like x 1
  47. johnmcglade17

johnmcglade17 Active Member

When is the adult manager coming tsw3 for the ps5

48. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

^ lol ^
    thank God for the autocorrect :) so we can laugh from time to time

About the addons-manager: scroll up a bit to post 32 in this thread. There Matt gives us a latest update. Furthermore, I'm sure they'll talk about it tonight during the stream of the roadmap

Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
  49. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

The adult manager sounds intriguing :) part of a career mode possibly.

• Like Like x 2