Road Map Roadmap - January 2023

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Alex, Jan 12, 2023.

1. DTG Alex

DTG Alex Community Manager Staff Member

And here we go... The first Roadmap of 2023! Let's get right in it

https://live.dovetailgames.com/live/train-sim-world/articles/article/train-sim-world-january2023-roadmap

TL;DR (too long; didn’t read) summary
    A quick summary for those who don’t want to go through the whole article. There are more details on all these points within the Roadmap.
    • 4 items confirmed on this month’s Roadmap including:
      • ScotRail Express: Edinburgh-Glasgow
      • West Cornwall Local – Steam Railtour
      • Amtrak Acela Express
      • Niddertalbahn: Bad Vilbel – Glauburg-Stockheim
    • ScotRail Express: Edinburgh Glasgow releases on 26th January
    • Skyhook Games’ next British route has been added to the Roadmap
    • Add-ons Manager is in its final stages before preparing for launch on PlayStation
    • Patch released on Monday, containing Steam physics improvements, London Commuter red lights improvements and new freight services, work to improve lighting timing on future routes (as well as Southeastern High-Speed), AWS/TPWS Save Game improvements, and more
    • Class 20 Livery Designer functionality has also been released
    • Boston Sprinter is receiving a signalling and lighting update

[​IMG]

Live Stream:

Last night's Roadmap live stream is here (timestamped for your viewing pleasure):

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2023
    • Like Like x 14
  2. DTG Alex

ScotRail Express: Edinburgh-Glasgow:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 16
  3. DTG Alex

Behind Development: Boston Sprinter route upgrade (TOD4 and resignalling)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 18
  4. DTG Alex

PIS improvement for West Cornwall Local
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 16
  5. SteveRail

SteveRail Well-Known Member

Have to say Edinburgh is looking class

• Like Like x 4
  6. derek#2931

derek#2931 Well-Known Member

Excited!!

• Like Like x 2
  7. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

Really nice start to the Year thanks DTG and 3rd Party Teams.
    Losts to get Excited about.

• Like Like x 2
  8. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Looks like the new feature on the Scottish route are the train announcements implemented to other routes this will be close to the real life version. Keep in mind the German routes will exactly sound the same if the feature were to be implemented from the Scottish route because they use Ingo Ruff

9. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

Edinburgh looks very recognisable not static City or anything :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

3.GDG-R7 = UK Diesel Electric and Diesel Hydraulic and set in 2011+

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  11. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

The code on the Skyhook Games route is interesting - both Diesel Electric and Diesel Hydraulic, but set in the modern day. Does anyone have any guesses about what that could be? I had no idea Diesel Hydraulics were still used in the UK, I'd assumed they'd gone the way of the dodo after the withdrawal of the old Western Region classes.

12. Bradley

i would assume an heritage railway

• Like Like x 1
  13. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Isn't the voith transmission on the sprinters/pacers hydraulic?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jackson17

Jackson17 Member

Good news about add on manager. Can finally once again get excited for new routes.

• Like Like x 1
  15. WonterRail

WonterRail Well-Known Member

Wow, so much to unpack here, but I'll try my best here with some of the more key highlights
    • The identities of all 4 of those add-ons teased before christmas have been revealed. I'll list them down below as well as quickly giving my thoughts on them.
    1. ScotRail Express: Edinburgh - Glasgow (Despite Rivet not having the best of luck with TSW so far, I'm actually quitely looking forward to this one).
    2. West Cornwall Local: Steam Railtour (I'm not against doing a railtour Jubilee, but was it really neccesary for WCL?).
    3. Niddertalbahn: Bad Vilbel – Glauburg-Stockheim (Was inevitable ever since it was leaked back in August last year, but I never thought it would be TSG making this route (thought it might have been Just Trains' first route) but regardless, really curious to see how TSG get on at making a route.
    4. Amtrak Acela Express (It was always a case of not if, but when. A hopefully this mean we will start seeing more loco add-ons again, after going through a drought of them last year).
    • Also worth mentioning we have a new UK route from Skyhook. Which appears to be a modern Uk diesel route, going by the code. excited to see what this could be.
    • Boston Sprinter confirmed to be getting the TSW3 updates (new lighting, skies, etc). Which makes sense for this route considering it's getting a loco add-on, along with addressing the big matter of this routes signalling.

• Like Like x 4
  16. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

Turns out that the Class 168/170/171 are all Diesel Hydraulics too, as well as the 185 (only used by Trans-Pennine Express).

• Like Like x 1
  17. theorganist

It could be quite challenging and hopefully fun with all the gradients. Although I struggle to get more than 12 miles an hour out of a Jubilee climbling out of Lime Street.

18. Narkyx

Narkyx Member

Whats going on with the DB BR420? It's been on there since the very beginning

19. theorganist

I forgot about the Turbostars, I didn't realise the class 185 used hydraulic transmission.

So I wonder if it is two new trains! Or it could possibly be using the class 166 or class 66 with a new one alongside. I doubt they would be using the WCL class 150.

20. theorganist

I assume it is behind the new German route and associated train.

21. AtherianKing

I believe TSG has been working on other projects (ICE1 and niddertalbahn I think) and therefore had to take time to do them.

22. Bradley

It’s a skyhook thing, I won’t hold my breath for something great

• Like Like x 2
  23. TheRagingPOTATO

TheRagingPOTATO Member

Is there a key anywhere on the forums that detail how to read the codes for the in development routes on the roadmaps. I didn't realise they gave indications of what the route could contain.

24. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

It's coming after the route releases. Tsg also got pulled into various German dlc in tsw2 and tsw3 made by dtg on top of making the g6. So the 420 hasn't been actively worked on. Production of it got delayed even more cuz of their new German route. So once the route releases, they will resume work on the 420.

• Like Like x 1
  25. rennekton#1349

Yes there is. Look up route codes tsw on your web browser and there will be a link leading to it

26. Maik Goltz

Maik Goltz Well-Known Member

Current plan says finishing it maybe to end of March. What does not imply that it will release in March or April. We will see. First priority at the Moment is the route and the 628 that comes with it. And there is still 2nd. party work to do at the moment too. I wish i could clone myself, but that's nothing i can achieve.

• Like Like x 35
    • Helpful Helpful x 5
  27. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

Rivet’s new route looks great, it might be a day one purchase for me. Also, very excited for the Acela Express and the improvements to Boston Sprinter! Hopefully, the sound team could have another pass on that route, too, to fix things like the brake application sound playing constantly when brakes are applied, even though they are self-lapping.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I am wondering what happens with testing quality. I still see a fair number of issues and some routes like Clinchfield really suffer in playability. Theough there is some progress with the Pecial Projects team it is going horribly slow and I still think they cannot even keep up with all new stuff, let alone the tremendous backlog with bugs and issues. Not even the gameplay issues are all addressed for some routes.

I recently noticed that even very simple but irritating issues like the catenary pole on a track in RSN is not fixed and likely will never be fixed. Even though it would be a five minutes job and not even require testing.

• Like Like x 6
  29. rennekton#1349

The main bottleneck would be waiting for testing or a release slot. Like the roadmap mentioned, preserved crew updates still waiting for an appropriate release build even though it's done. The special projects team is also quite small and given huge tasks such as the recent todv4 update to Boston sprinter and like you mentioned a backlog of many other issues.

30. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

And yet again no progress on TSW2 updates, manual firing, or anything else that isn't new DLC.

• Like Like x 3
  31. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  32. rennekton#1349

Tsw2 updates are done but stuck in the finding a release build/slot phase as mentioned in the roadmap. Probably cuz there are more important things releasing before it does. Manual firing is a complex task and probably not as high priority as the other issues.

33. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

That's a very revealing sentence. Dare I suggest that the priority list is biased towards churning out more DLC?

• Like Like x 1
  34. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Moderately interesting roadmap. I'm half hoping that Glasgow to Edinburgh gets a classic diesel timetable in addition to the rather uninteresting 385's, so we can rag 37's, 40's and Duffs up Queen Street bank.

I saw diesel hydraulic for the Skyhook route and started wistfully thinking of Warships and Westerns over Dainton, down to Torbay or along the Cotswold line. It's a bit of a stretch to apply that to Voith transmission on a DMU, but hey ho. There is the possibility it could be something like the Severn Valley Railway and we get a new diesel electric, maybe a Type 2, and a Warship but that really is a stretch.

• Like Like x 2
  35. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

That’s the roadmap we like to see. I don’t know how many times the add on manager has been onto its final stage but I really hope this time we’ll stop playing Tetris and enjoy our entire collection. For the BR187 we’ve waited a year for an audio fix but it appears the sounds were badly mixed so do we have an estimation about the release or do we have to wait for another year ? I’m very concerned about Skyhook doing a UK route considered how bad was the BR187, an insult to us

36. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It's time-coded 7, that is since 2011.

37. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Skyhook also did Horseshoe Curve, which really isn't bad at all. Not without issues, but a good-looking and enjoyable route.

• Like Like x 3
  38. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

That doesn't rule out a heritage railway though.

39. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Nice to see Boston Sprinter getting some much needed love and attention.

• Like Like x 3
  40. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Hope it's not a heritage route. Not my cup of tea.

Looking forward to the Boston upgrade, Acela Express, and TSG's route.

When will they reveal the US Route??

• Like Like x 5
  41. Jannerdunk

Jannerdunk Well-Known Member

Oh great! re the TSW 2 updates,

we've gone from shortly after the release of TSW3 six months ago, to being told "some" would be released before Xmas in roadmap / stream a couple of months ago. Well Xmas has been and gone. Seems nothing changes, if its not QA issues being given as an excuse it's release scheduling issues

• Like Like x 4
  42. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the Boston Sprinter updates and the Acela, nice to see some pictures.

• Like Like x 3
  43. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

The Coradia 1000s as well! The Class 180 in particular was a bold attempt at a 'high speed' (125 mph) capable diesel-hydraulic, which unless I am mistaken is the fastest diesel-hydraulic train ever made, or at least put into regular service.

Cheers

Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  44. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

I thought the US route would get revealed today. Hopefully sometime between now and the next roadmap. I think the Acela will be released before the US route

• Like Like x 1
  45. yambam#1598

yambam#1598 Member

It's look like it may be an electric route another part of the NEC?

46. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

I have to say that the implementation of Edinburgh really blows my mind, the whole Rivet team did a really great job! Also a well structured roadmap, not too packed that you get too overwhelmed by details and at the same time loosened up with two interesting interviews. The most urgent thing is and remains the addon manager, which is finally on target. Because the next DLC release isn't until the end of January, PS5 players can still hope that everything will run smoothly by then and that the 64GB limit will be a thing of the past. I should also have my PS5 by then. So a great start into the new year! :)

• Like Like x 2
  47. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Does anybody know what the explorable areas on IoW 2022 are? Didn't blindly give it a shot myself.

48. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

Very exciting roadmap!
    Edinburgh to Glasgow looks even more promising, a new modern British route (and not an EMU) is on the way, Acela is incoming and Boston Sprinter is finally getting it's signalling fixed. It's like Christmas came late for TSW3!

49. mauricio.g.mustapic24

mauricio.g.mustapic24 New Member

Maik Goltz
    Would it be possible to have the new class 628 from the Niddertalbahn also run on MSB. In order to equip the route from Aschaffenburg BF to Aschaffenburg Süd with layers.

50. AtherianKing

id probably say the biggest is if you go to Ryde Esplande and leave via the passenger entrance and turn left towards the train pedestrian crossing bridge and go over it towards the hovercraft that area is large and open to walk around.

another area is the Ryde pier car park, that’s also accessible on the Older Isle of Wight route

there’s also a pond on the older route version (haven’t checked myself if it’s on the 2022 version)
    It’s between 2 stations in the middle of the route (I forget which ones) that’s quite a bit of a walk from the track.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
    • Like Like x 2