Upcoming Release Master The Express!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Alex, Jan 12, 2023.

1. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Or a Quick Drive + Consist Editor like TSC has. Can keep realistic AI but still allow the player to drive any train on any route.

Agreed. Scenario Planner is too limited to make any interesting scenarios, and too cumbersome to set up a quick basic run.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Rapid Transit has been updated which allowed more trains in, such as the BR143, but also the ICE-3 as AI traffic.
    WSR has been updated to have static consists, as well as services for the Class 101.
    Bakerloo has some freight AI traffic since the timetable update.

Note that these were also free updates.

• Like Like x 11
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

As I understand it per DTG's previous explanations, building a new timetable is only required when the length of a formation is different (eg. why they had to introduce a new timetable on ECW for the 313).

So I've asked this in the assumption that it wouldn't be much harder than ticking a box (to replace the 314 with a 3-car 385). If it's more complex than that, I'm happy to be corrected by those in the know.

Ultimately, as I've said on multiple previous occasions, the strength of TSW is in my view the layering and timetable system - so why wouldn't DTG want to capitalise on this? Perhaps a newer player will pick up this new route, decide they like the loco and pick up Cathcart to have somewhere else to run it - surely that's a win for everyone.

• Like Like x 9
  4. andrewandjane66

andrewandjane66 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to it.
    With regard to the HST layering in, I believe the Scottish ones were rebuilt with powered doors, so that would need to be attended to if the rivet counters were to be silenced.

5. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

I’m glad to see that Rivet have decided to include multiple variants of the 385! Typically any TSW add-on will include just ONE variant of whatever trains they have (such as the 377/4 on Brighton Mainline). It’s not the craziest thing, but just the fact that we have a 3-car 385 AND a 4-car 385 is really awesome.

• Like Like x 8
  6. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Yes that would be an accetable solution.

7. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Then at most you would have substitution, not layering. The traffic in Glasgow Central would not increase by a single train.

8. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

No clue why, because I'm still waiting for something that lets me use my Class 33 on something else than WSR... I've become a lot more careful when buying trains that can only be used on one route since my Class 33 purchase...

9. mattwild55

Yes - sorry that's what I meant (layering / substitution are all part of the same system in my head). Just having the 385 substitute would be acceptable.

• Like Like x 2
  10. theorganist

There is a patch which allows you to use the class 33 on WCL. I did use it and found the class 33 to be one of the best loco's to drive, felt very good rattling through St Erth at 50mph. It deserves it's own route really.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

Hoping this route would come at some point, be interesting to see how much of Edinburgh Waverley will be accessible to explore.

Train announcements have arrived to TSW also

be keeping eye on this route, and will be looking forward to a preview to see what kind of state (rather highly skeptical of bugs since Bremen route and Rivet don’t seem to update older routes unless they intend to bring a dlc new to them)

12. mattwild55

I do think that a Class 33 railtour would be a very good addition to Brighton Main Line or ECW (or both!). It could also make use of the Class 08 stationed at Brighton for piloting duties, and wouldn't necessarily just need to be restricted to the 33 but could use any heritage diesel through the substitution system.

The only question would be finding space in the timetable for it as Victoria and Brighton are both very busy already and with any luck we'll see a Class 700 too which space will need to be left for on the southern part of the route. I'm sure it would be possible though.

• Like Like x 3
  13. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to this, should be great and I'll be buying it. However I also can't wait to be told that other rolling stock won't be imported and the 385 won't appear on Cathcart circle. I also can't wait to see an empty Edinburgh Waverley to go alongside St Pancras, Birmingham New Street and Glasgow Central.

• Like Like x 5
  14. SteveRail

SteveRail Well-Known Member

Yeah you’re correct on that, although I think they were introduced with slam doors when first arrived then gradually updated to powered, so potentially could get away with just the livery, but can’t see it happening tbh.

15. TrainGeek08

TrainGeek08 Well-Known Member

As a Scot, I'm amazed how Rivet made this route, I'll tune into the preview stream to see for myself what it's like, well done to Jasper_Rivet and team, great work :love:

• Like Like x 2
  16. blackwolfTR

blackwolfTR New Member

I´m pretty impressed. I would only deforest Calton Hill a little and add The Nelson Monument. Jasper´s mention about "opening areas for the player to walk into" is very promising too. Gentle stroll in the Princes Street Gardens, watching trains go up and down from The Mound...[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  17. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

They were indeed introduced with slam door carriages. Eventually they were phased out and replaced with the sliding doors. FB_IMG_1576938333225.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  18. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

The route is a nice one. I know it from TSC, but only one train type does not do it justice. What layers will be available? Will there be freight trains as well? A pity it is set in present time. We really need more historic routes.

• Like Like x 7
  19. theorganist

I am surprised that there isn't a mention of freight as I am sure Grangemouth generates freight.

I would prefer a more historic version too, but the class 385 looks quite nice and it sounds like it could be quite busy.

If the sounds and features of the train and route are well made then it could be quite an immersive experience.

• Like Like x 2
  20. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

“As with all Train Sim World routes there will also be a load of collectibles to find, including the locally relevant haggis plushies and bagpipe-themed suitcases”

Ah, racial stereotyping at its finest. It’s just a shame that after the Cadbury chocolates, we haven’t got deep fried Mars Bars to find. ;)

• Like Like x 5
  21. yambam#1598

yambam#1598 Member

Will the 3 car 385s be included?

22. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

How is it racial?

• Like Like x 3
  23. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

yea, you get both the 3 and 4 car variant.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  24. dosto762

dosto762 Well-Known Member

yes

25. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

I’m probably the only person to be excited about being able to walk up the ramp onto the street. The one and only time I’ve set foot in Edinburgh was back in the 80s when I had to change trains on the way back from Livingston (for work, not through choice). I had half an hour or so to wait so I walked up the ramp just so I could say I’d set foot in Edinburgh.

I’ve been to Glasgow a few times though and really like the place. Can’t wait to see Queen Street station.

• Like Like x 4
  26. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I think the terminology has gotten ridiculous at this point.

Whatever you want to call it, the 385 should be able to appear on CCL in place of the 314 in timetable mode. Even if it's not additional services, it's MUCH needed variety.

Timetable is the heart of TSW- it's really disappointing when devs skimp on that mode- scenario planner is NOT an acceptable alternative IMO. I honestly think devs coming from a TSC background forget there's no Quick Drive in TSW.

Hopefully this can be implemented before release.

• Like Like x 9
  27. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Since its been widely said about it being the Class 385 have you not looked up about the unit and the route before today?

Hentis

28. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Interesting that that coach finished out its Great Western days and moved north still wearing blue.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

'

I knew the Class 385 wasn't much to look forward too, so I had hopes there were layers and substitutes to enjoy the new route with.

30. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

The 385 didn't exist when Cathcart is set (2014). It's not a Get out of Jail Free card.

• Like Like x 5
  31. Bravo2six

Bravo2six Well-Known Member

I also misread the original comment and came to the same assumption as yourself.

Some people on here get very upset that DTGs idea of realism isn't the same as theirs, I wouldn't take it to heart.

• Like Like x 1
  32. trainsimplayer

You want a train that didn't exist in the era on a route? Let's just throw the 395 as a layer onto Spirit of Steam then!

This is exactly what Scenario Planner is made for - unrealistic scenarios with different rolling stock. You're basically suggesting we made SP redundant.

• Like Like x 1
  33. trainsimplayer

One train that operates 100% of full-length services, and most off-route ones. Excluding Edinburgh ones because that's a whole different ball game.

Very easy to be pleased when you got nearly everything you can get!

• Like Like x 1
  34. Bravo2six

Bravo2six Well-Known Member

Some people on here also expect too damn much.

A 70+ Km route with 2 different sub classes. Just because the announcement article doesn't include additional layers, doesn't mean there aren't any or that it isn't planned for the future.

• Like Like x 10
  35. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I might be wrong here, but from what I've seen, the times after 385 introduction and before 314 withdrawal overlap a year or two, so those units meeting shouldn't be a big problem. You could always use 385s as an AI to and from Central to liven up the station.

36. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

The inclusion of an announcement system sounds fun! Well done to Rivet for that alone. Hopefully we will still see the inclusion of Falkirk Grahamston, Camelon and Larbert stations, as it seems like a logical inclusion for the additional gameplay it could bring.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  37. AirbourneAlex

To be fair, Cathcart Circle is very much the same now as it was in 2014 (maybe a few new buildings but otherwise largely the same). It's a route most would still consider to be modern, so anything to add extra variety to it would be most welcome.

• Like Like x 5
  38. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

It does feel like some people have a vendetta against Rivet, and have decided they already don't like it and will find even the most minute of flaws.

Am I disappointed there likely won't be any additional layers? Sure. But there's still so much to look forward to with this route.

• Like Like x 13
  39. trainsimplayer

By the time the 385 was introduced the 314s were rarer on GCC, having shifted to cover the Paisley Canal Line and the Inverclyde Line by then. That's when 380s, 320s and 318s became more visible in Cathcart. So it is still contradictory, regardless of the overlap irl.

40. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

JD hinted at Layers in the Roadmap Stream so looks like there will be layers?

Stream Link

Time Stamp - 26:00 - Onwards

Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
  41. theorganist

I suspect there will be some freight layers, possibly including the RHTT.

42. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

Yeah My thoughts exactly. A seasonal RHTT and freight. As for the HST this could be controversial as DTG could include the GWR HST but cut down consist to represent the Intercity7 Services. But if left in GWR livery people will not be pleased but the option to use a Livery from the CC could help this but not everyone uses CC. Going to be intereseting if the HST is in it.

43. AirbourneAlex

Because the route seemingly doesn't include Stirling, it wouldn't make much sense to include it now since the HSTs run non-stop to here and would therefore be AI only (or making unrealistic intermediate stops for gameplay purposes).

44. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

AI only was what I was thinking it adds extra traffic which is what alot of users want to see.

• Like Like x 1
  45. trainsimplayer

I also think many of us don't want GWR Green on a Scottish Mainline.
    I mean, yes, it happened. But this route is set in the present (like, right now)

46. Woroszyl The NS 2000

Woroszyl The NS 2000 Well-Known Member

Just checked the roadmap, i don't think i can find the JD hinting at layers in it.

47. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Anyone know why its releasing two days later then usual?

48. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

i personally would regard it as a acceptable exception, I would prefer a busier route over just 385’s and probably Class 66

wrong livery takes not even close second place over concern of deeply empty Edinburgh Waverley etc

49. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

I think they are doing an article on timetables and layers in the next couple of week. So keep an eye on the forums.

Hentis

• Like Like x 2
  50. trainsimplayer

Waverley likely won't be too bad. You don't see half of it anyway, and the 386 should suffice for what you do see.