Road Map Roadmap - January 2023

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Alex, Jan 12, 2023.

1. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

It wouldn't fit within the time period msb is set since the 628 is a much older locomotive in an older livery. It's not a modern db red livery. Even if he could, it's a lot of work just to layer it into msb for one person who also has lots of other things to do

• Like Like x 1
  2. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

There’s also more to explore at Ryde St John’s Road, with the train shed often occupied on this version. You can also go into the buildings on the Steam Platform at Smallbrook Junction and the Signal Box at Brading.

• Like Like x 1
  3. coursetim

coursetim Well-Known Member

Could the UK route be welsh by chance? I'm not clued up on diesels or any of their variants but a lot of the welsh lines aren't electrocuted? Holyhead line maybe? And thats got a lot of mountainous terrains which we know skyhook are good at?

Class 221 and the stock TFW use? Admittedly biased speculation though :D

Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
  4. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

I forgot about those, also I think you can walk on a pedestrian part of the bridge between Esplande and Pier station

5. mortal1234

mortal1234 Well-Known Member

It looks amazing. The lighting just makes it even better. Edinburgh Castle looks stunning.

• Like Like x 2
  6. flirt745

flirt745 Active Member

A good roadmap to start the year. Interesting to learn about Skyhook making a British route.

• Like Like x 1
  7. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

Perhaps the most exciting thing from the roadmap is official confirmation of upgraded lighting/skies to older routes. I really hope to see the remaining two Rush Hour routes at least get the same upgrade eventually - that would be brilliant!

• Like Like x 9
  8. mortal1234

mortal1234 Well-Known Member

I’m absolutely amazed at how amazing Edinburgh to Glasgow is looking. By far it’s going to be my number 1 route. The images are really cool. I’m actually surprised they didn’t show us murrayfield stadium. I also wonder if we will get to see Edinburgh Airport and maybe even the fourth bridges away in the distance as we rush towards Linlithgow Station. Oh and TAR HILL too !!!!. This is going to be a very slow 2 weeks…

• Like Like x 2
  9. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Boston may be a special case, because of the upcoming Acela. Also, it needed a signal overhaul desperately, both for its own sake and because going forward DTG simply had to master ACS/ACSES if they want to do any more US routes authentically.

• Like Like x 6
  10. frabjousvector

frabjousvector Well-Known Member

AFAIK Northern Rail is owned by DFT so I wouldn’t be surprised to see that be the Skyhook route… anything up north that isn’t a heritage route would be lovely.

• Like Like x 2
  11. cloudyskies21

Maybe so, but would be nice if DTG could clarify this at some point, or whether we have to wait for future roadmaps. Even so, while I understand the upgrade is a lot of time and effort, I'd really hope they would consider such investment into London Commuter and Dresden-Riesa at least. As you say, while Boston is getting a DLC loco and the vital signal update it vitally needed, the remaining two RH routes have such rich timetables it would feel a huge waste otherwise not to do. I'd even suggest in having two upgraded routes (plus other fixes) instead of two brand-new routes. Would like to hear what others think of this?

• Like Like x 3
  12. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

London-Brighton did just get a freight timetable

13. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Still hoping for a Class 700 DLC. That would certainly warrant an upgrade. Maybe Dresden could get its Flughafen branch?

They're such good routes- they deserve the upgrade IMO.

• Like Like x 13
  14. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

That would be a welcome repair to the damage of taking it away that caused :)

there’s a fair amount of work already put into it before it was abandoned, it seems from going down where it is in the route itself. seems the most work required would be the Flughafen Station itself

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  15. drnicktgm#1259

drnicktgm#1259 Well-Known Member

How much will the Acela Express cost? I really hope for the Normal loco price of 13€ or maybe 18€ would also be fine

16. spamcanfan#4357

spamcanfan#4357 Member

It is probably a preserved railway possibly Severn valley or East lancs due to them being the only other preserved railway that have diesel hydraulic locos apart from WSR

17. max#2873

max#2873 Well-Known Member

I understand no tsw3 glamour plans for previous routes, BUT I can expect to solve technical problems of previous routres (i. e. Clinchfield comm., empty trains and platforms - passengers appear to late on arrival etc. ) beside this it is cool progress

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
  18. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Yes those two would be favourite if it was a heritage route. They really need to refine the traction categories in the product codes as diesel hydraulic should not really encompass both classic locos and Voith or similar transmission DMU's. In fact, fairly sure either the old Marylebone 115s or BedPan 127s also rmployed a hydraulic final drive system. Needs to clearly distinguish between locos and multiple units.

19. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Last night's Roadmap live stream is here (timestamped for your viewing pleasure):

We talk quite a lot about TSW3 skies/lighting in the Boston section. No promises at all (as we said in the stream, we're trying to deal in absolutes, so assume 'no' until we say otherwise), as it's a lot of work to implement.

• Like Like x 1
  20. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

I sincerely hope it's not a preserved line. WSR is one of my least favourite routes. It's so dull, a shame as I love the line in real life. The other problem is that any loco included I will almost certainly prefer on a mainline. I hated having to drive mighty Westerns and 47s up and down at 25mph. It was like watching a tiger in a cage.

• Like Like x 2
  21. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

The one drawback, though I think the SVR is sufficiently iconic, more so than the WSR, to overcome that. And as there are no Dept Of Transport agents riding up and down on the trains with a GPS and/or stopwatch as on the real heritage railways, you can indulge a bit of speeding in TSW and all you lose is a few pointless Action Points.

22. amyinorbit

amyinorbit Active Member

If we didn’t just get a Scottish route, my guess for the Skyhook route would have been the West Highland Line: class 156 is a diesel hydraulic, and the class 73 that now pull the Caledonian sleeper on that part of its route are diesel electrics. But given we’re getting Glasgow-Edinburgh already, I doubt we’d get another Scottish route that soon after. Not that I’d mind! I’d be interested to see a good implementation of the RETB signalling, and the landscapes are pretty wild!

• Like Like x 1
  23. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

I guess they might increase the regular price by ~2€ due to inflation like they did with the TSW3 routes, but nothing more than that.

• Like Like x 1
  24. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Finally got around to watching the stream recording and reading all the articles + comments after a busy Thursday! Some thoughts below:
    • Glasgow-Edinburgh looks amazing! The next two weeks will be looooong… certainly looking forward to Rivet’s dev videos and articles!
    • Their expansion pack, however… gonna need to wait for more info! Just putting some lights on an existing steam loco and letting it run on WCL (which is probably quite difficult for these locos because of the crazy gradients) doesn’t seem like it’s worth the usual expansion pack price. We’ll see what Rivet comes up with, there were some extremely unexpected surprises in Edinburgh-Glasgow announcement after all!
    • The Niddertalbahn has been an open secret for a while, glad it’s finally confirmed! Looking forward to our first true vintage German route. The attention to detail will likely be amazing considering the rural setting and TSG’s track record. Maik commented he’s planning to have the DB BR 420 add-on (which is lower in priority for him than the Niddertalbahn) finished in March, so I guess we could genuinely get our hopes up for a February route release.
    • The Acela will bring some much-needed fresh wind into the US routes, and I’m very glad Boston Sprinter is getting a nice upgrade at the same time as well. I actually don’t even have it installed right now because it feels so rough around the edges.
    • Hope the Add-Ons manager finally comes out! Could greatly improve performance on my old PS4… I really noticed a difference when I installed all my preserved routes back when the game came out.
    • The Skyhook route: Judging by the code, it genuinely sounds interesting! Will have to wait for much more info though since their DLCs have been rather hit or miss so far, and they haven’t done any UK TSW content yet whatsoever.

• Like Like x 5
  25. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to seeing the Edinburgh route bit I'm hoping it's not a tree spotting exercise. I'm really enjoying the new Uk routes coming through. I have the feeling that Uk routes and Us routes are now being layered up a lot more now.

26. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

It was the class 127's and class 125's, also the Cravens class 112 or 113 were also hydraulic and the very first Derby Lightweights I believe.

I do agree though amendments to the code would help, although maybe they don't want to make it too easy for people to guess!

It could be the GCR as they have a class 127 I thnk :D

27. drnicktgm#1259

drnicktgm#1259 Well-Known Member

I hope that the Br628 will also get the DB Red livery

• Like Like x 2
  28. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Well you can see in the pic its in DB mint livery

29. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

I’d be really surprised if TSG made both versions, but it would probably be quite straightforward to upgrade it to the modern version and make it part of a new route or enhancement pack in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  30. kobo

kobo Active Member

I really hope the next US route is a NJ Transit route. I so badly want to see one of those routes in the game. Even if it's the NEC from New York to Trenton, that still counts because NJT runs on that line too. I wish we could get a hint, any hint on what the route is, besides it's a US route and it's electrified.

• Like Like x 1
  31. rennekton#1349

When it's ready, it will be announced

32. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

...the BR628 railcars were in service on the Niddertalbahn until 2012. Last of course in DB red, but I think we already have enough red dostos and locos in TSW that 90s mint green is more than welcome. After that they were replaced by the more modern Siemens Desiro BR642. I think giving the route an up-to-date upgrade with newer vehicles would diminish the branch line romance and nostalgia. On the published screenshot you can also see an old semaphore signal, which definitely contributes to the nostalgia feeling. We German fans are just waiting longingly to get older routes in TSW, since the need for ultra-modern ICE routes has been satisfied for the time being. ;)

• Like Like x 4
  33. BeastyBill88

BeastyBill88 Well-Known Member

Would love to see this as well even if it is just for the other 2 rush hour routes :D

• Like Like x 1
  34. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

It's about time right? I think they should really need to work on improving all American routes in general especially for the passenger route because the Harlem Line, and not to forget LIRR, feel like they did it in a hurry and don't really care what we as the community wants. I really think that they need to improve and give love and quality to American Route. It's already 2023 and this is not what we should be paying for. I really do hope that this year will be the year we see major overhaul and improvement toward American Route Finally. DTG JD DTG Matt Please Matt and JD make this the year where the American route is given a major overhaul and love

• Like Like x 3
  35. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

What about the scenery, I still feel it lack scenery and other assets such as building cars, and road, especially city life in general cause i am sure it's not like this in the real world.
    cActUsjUiCe Is Boston suppose to be like this in the real world where there aren't any buildings and cars? How accurate is this route depicted in the game compared to the real-life world? cause I haven't been on that line or go to Boston.

36. Class156

Class156 Well-Known Member

Could be way off the mark here, but a while back I'm SURE someone at Dovetail said that they were working on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway? Surely this is a shoe-in for TSW, there's already a 3rd party route out for TSC.

37. rennekton#1349

I don't think dtg can do much with lirr as would need a massive amount of work from the scenery, adding acses even though it wasn't there when the route was set i believe, overhauling signaling to allow a busier timetable. It's sort of an old route that would need a lot of work on top of adding in new lighting and clouds. I think it's better if dtg starts fresh with another part of lirr and add all the new features

• Like Like x 1
  38. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Haha in that respect the game's representation is way off. Boston is an absolute [edit - JD - language] of traffic which the route fails to depict. But at the end of the day, the hustle and bustle of downtown Boston comes secondary to the accuracy and authenticity of the simulation. That's what is most important to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  39. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Did you get a chance to take a look at the possibilities of the Pawtucket station? Still feels like a missing piece and a unique element.

• Like Like x 1
  40. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Interesting, never heard of this until now.

41. cloudyskies21

Just out of interest, is the Niddertalbahn route between Bad Vilbel and Glauburg-Stockheim completely unelectrified? Just wondering what, or even if, any existing rolling stock is suitable for the route.

42. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

No as I have been too preoccupied with the signal stuff. I understand that this is a glaring scenery flaw and breaks immersion.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  43. rennekton#1349

Only dmus and locos ran on this route and they still run to this day. According to Wikipedia, it says they are looking at ways to electrify it in the future.

In terms of rolling stock, there isn't any in game. The 218 ran there which got replaced by 642s in 2012 and now the 245 runs there

• Like Like x 1
  44. bdobronz1968

bdobronz1968 Active Member

I’ve hoped that the 628 would be a substitute for the 612 at BRO, but now I think it won't, because of its livery and since it is obviously an 628.2 and not an 628.4 which would fit better to BRO. But anyway, I‘m really looking forward to the Niddatalbahn, not only because of the 628 but also because of the signals.

45. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

It meets with 2 electrified lines throughout the way, so AI traffic with electrics in Bad Vilbel and Nidderau is possible. Judging by the 628 livery the only real option is the BRO 110

• Like Like x 1
  46. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

...as already mentioned (and we know thanks to wikipedia), a complete electrification and a two-track expansion should not be completed until 2028. From then on, the route should also be re-tendered, i.e. DB has to face other competitors who also want to carry out the lucrative passenger transport to and from the city of Frankfurt/Main.
    That's why the period chosen by TSG at the beginning of the 2000s is exactly right to ensure leisurely branch line operations. Of course as a pure diesel route, only diesel locomotives and railcars can be considered, or also steam locomotives (there is this BR52 poster in the training center, but that's a different topic). ;) It could be that there are also local freight trains or shunting work with the BR204, BR363 or the G6 as an extra layer. Even if the BR232 comes out, you could somehow integrate it. That's why we're looking forward to the long-awaited BR218, which can then commute with n-wagons as a regional train on this route, but only when Maik should have time in 2024.
    Since the route also meets electrified S-Bahn tracks in Bad Vilbel, one could use AI trains that already exist in TSW. Even in Nidderau the route intersects with an electrified line, where you could meet some well-known AI trains too.

update: just did some research in freight traffic on the Niddertalbahn, but hardly ever happens here. Perhaps a few photo freight services can still be added with a BR363 in the lead for some rail fans along the route to be photographed. But accommodating Ludmilla is difficult, unless a track construction train comes through.

47. ollysmail

ollysmail New Member

Will you be adding the January roadmap and the master the express articles into the in-game news section?

48. rennekton#1349

Tsg already responded in another thread to another post that it wouldn't make sense for the 628 to sub into the 612. Cuz it's much older and has worse performance, acceleration, etc so it wouldn't be able to keep up with the timetable. And more out of place. The actual dmu would be a 642 i believe.

49. cloudyskies21

Fascinating. Much appreciated for taking the time for a detailed response - I'm really looking forward to the route.

• Like Like x 1
  50. Conductor B

Conductor B Well-Known Member

I'd pay for an upgraded London Commuter if they extended it like they did with SEHS. Maybe connect Wivelsfield and Lewes? Even better if they added some of those Thameslink services.

Thank you sir. I'm more interested in ACSES/ATC and the lineside signalling working properly. Not that I don't care about scenery and the other stuff, but that kind of thing is secondary to me. (After all, running restricted speed on the NEC mainline for 10+ miles with no traffic in sight is much more immersion-breaking to me than an improperly-modeled station.)

• Like Like x 4