Whats Supposed To Happen At Ardingly On London Commuter

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Dave Mel, Jan 13, 2023.

1. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

i have just done the 6 services on this route to Ardingly. i took 13 empty hoppers from london to ardingly and afer running around and placing the hoppers. i then returned to london with another set of empties. to me this is wierd. take empites all the way to ardingly and return back with empties. wierd

• Like Like x 1
  2. jack travers

jack travers Well-Known Member

How do we get these services? Which route

3. Dave Mel

go on the london comuter route and click on timetable and select the class 66. the services are in there

4. There isn't anything at Ardingly to load or unload with by the looks of it.

5. Interesting, a quick look on maps reveals that the ardingly spur used to access the bluebell line.

6. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Make sure gwe and ecw are both installed to get all the freight services. I've read you need both

7. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

I also wondered about it and looking at google maps I deduced that the wagons arrive loaded and are unloaded in the places I have pointed out:
    IMG_20230113_215233.jpg
    It seems that there is one compartment per wagon as I have drawn, and each one must be specific for a type of aggregate. When they are empty and another loaded train arrives, the exchange movement we see in the game takes place.

What is going on here? Well, we can't unload those wagons in the game because they haven't recreated the way it's done (I don't know the method they use IRL but it's not the same as we have in ECW, TVL or GWE). Also, I don't think they originally had plans to create services that would come here and they didn't recreate the area very accurately. Well, they did enough with building that branch... the thing is that Joe seems to be that when he sees a possibility to create gameplay in some way, however remote, he will look for a way to do it. He's amazing and we gamers are very lucky to have him as part of the team. Thanks for all the work you do, Joe :)

In short, as there is no possibility of unloading those wagons we go with empty and we take them empty. We could also go loaded but we would take them loaded as well.

If anyone notices that I'm wrong in my theory or wants to give us more details I'd be happy to know more about it.

On a side note, I would like to see more work with goods trains in the future, such as loading and unloading containers at terminals like Wuppertal. I am very passionate about all of this because it is very immersive and makes me feel like I am actually on a railway network. I bought OSD only because of the ethanol loading they recreated, too bad it is not used much and also some update broke it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dave Mel

i thought at least we could take loaded wagons. drop them off. then take the empties back. would be more realistic. but thanks to joe for giving us these extra services.

9. Screenshot_20230113_200648_Maps.jpg
    If you look a bit further along the line there is a shed over the track, I think that's where they are unloaded then there is a conveyor belt rising up over the bunkers?

• Like Like x 1
  10. I think in rl the train would arrive, unload then return empty. Used to be a goods yard for ardingly train station according to wiki.

11. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

That's right, I hadn't noticed. That makes a lot of sense, so what happened is that they didn't recreate the unloading shed.

Although I don't quite understand why they would leave the loaded wagons there. Couldn't they unload them and take them away empty at the same time? They would need a locomotive to unload them anyway. That's why I had thought that, given that each compartment is exactly the length of a wagon, they would be parked just in front of it and in the following hours or days unloaded by the factory workers in some way that I don't know.

12. Yeah I think the train would arrive loaded then unload into the hopper using the same loco it arrived with, then take the empties away with it. Looking at the tipper trucks, it's probably a hub for materials to arrive by train and be transported else where via trucks. That's just a guess though.
    Maybe it wasn't ever ment to be used in game. I'm sure I've looked down that spur on tsw2 and there wasn't anything there before.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2023
  13. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I queried this on a stream or post back when BML came out and Joe's response was that he concentrated on the passenger runs and ran out of time to do the freight bits, including the Ardingly run around at Haywards Heath
    Previous times I've run into Ardingly on foot there was a load of wagons sat there doing nothing, but no loco

14. That makes sense. Was the models there before? I remember it just being some tracks and trees. Maybe I walked down a different spur, there is a few on bml.

15. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Image below taken from TSW2 (which I still have installed) on foot at Ardingly TSW2_AdRusc_1673703854_00 compressed.png

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. Was a different siding I was thinking of then.
    Thanks.

• Helpful Helpful x 1