Whistle Board Question

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by zakbevington, Jan 2, 2023.

1. zakbevington

zakbevington Member

Hi all, wasn’t sure which thread I should’ve posted this question so it’s here.

so I’m aware of the purpose of a whistle board, however, I understand that trains are only allowed to use there horns during certain hours of the day. So what do they do at night when they pass a whistle board? Is it necessary enough to sound the horn or not?

• Like Like x 1
  2. TrainGeek08

TrainGeek08 Well-Known Member

They only sound the horn in an emergency during night hours ;)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. zakbevington

zakbevington Member

Thankyou for your response. I will be more vigilant in the near future ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. TrainGeek08

No problem :)

5. TSW Nathan

TSW Nathan Well-Known Member

TrainGeek08, what time does ScotRail/Network Rail ban drivers from using horns/whistles?

• Like Like x 1
  6. aeronautic237

aeronautic237 Well-Known Member

From the East Coastway Manual on Steam:

upload_2023-1-2_19-9-11.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

Rulebook says whistle board applies 0600-2359. There is no ban to use it been midnight and 0559 however.

I would blow it at any time of day to be quite honest. I would also always give a two tone horn as well even though rulebook states only low tone to be used. I might be a bit biased as most/all the whistle boards that I go over are diversionary routes so very rarely go there. But I’m certainly not the only person who does this.

• Like Like x 2
  8. TrainGeek08

I blast the horn every minute in game and make many tunes, but when it comes to time, I adhere to rulebook timing ;)

• Like Like x 2
  9. TrainGeek08

I think 'ban' is a bit lenient, 'disallow' would work, as Olaf the Snowman has said, between 0000-0559 is no horn time, 0600-2359 is horn time ;)

• Like Like x 3
  10. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

What I tend to do is give a two tone in the day and a short, snappy single low tone during night hours. This is my own personal opinion here but the night hours and single tone 'rules' are total nonsense implemented just to please the locals and there is no clear way at all it increases safety but reduces it. I also live next to the railway myself and can tell you now I would much prefer a horn, which with double glazing you can hardly hear, whilst laying in your bed than the public's safety and potentially a colleagues mental health put at risk.
    Anyway both my rant and career is over so have a lovely evening.;)

• Like Like x 2
  11. TrainGeek08

Tbf you were a driver so nice to hear what they would do during night hours :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

It depends on what era your are in too. I know especially in the uk the rules have changed significantly.

For instance in spirit of steam you should be whistling when stopped at a red signal, entering a tunnel, exiting a tunnel, approaching a station at speed and when almost reaching the end of a stationary train your are passing.
    Then there are whistle codes to be used to communicate with the guard in the brake van so they know whats happening.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. aeronautic237

Wow I did not know we blew it that much! Most red lights are red for over 5 seconds, which would make for a REALLY long whistle!

14. a.paice

Its not used anymore. Sorry I didn’t make it clear but you wouldn’t sound a continuous whistle, just a short one to remind the signaller in his box that you were there waiting.
    After a period the fireman would have to walk to the box to physically remind the signaller and sign the log-book.
    There were some nasty crashes where overworked and tired signallers just plainly forgot trains were waiting and signalled fast ones into the same section.

The Quintinshill rail disaster is probably the worst example of where the signallers forgot and the fireman failed to adequately remind them.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. aeronautic237

Ah makes sense.

Oh my. No track circuits back then!

16. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

I believe in recent years in the UK due to some very gruesome accidents at night trains do now use their horns at night, but there are likely still some rules regarding it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. a.paice

Exactly

• Like Like x 1
  18. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

Ever since in knew the purpose of whistle boards in TSW I personally implemented a non emergency use ban on the hours of 22:00-06:00 to ensure residents around the track get the recommended 8 hours sleep without the trains at fault for breaking this ;)