Rivets’ New Scottish Route

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Dec 22, 2022.

1. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

Isn't Edinburgh - Glasgow the most requested Scottish route? It's not a shock they chose this one.

• Like Like x 3
  2. olly.smail

olly.smail Well-Known Member

i rode the full line recently a few times, i think the scenery is actually really nice, towards the glasgow and edinburgh ends there’s lots of cuttings with rocky sides and then towards the middle of the route there’s many viaducts and beautiful hilly views

• Like Like x 1
  3. blackwolfTR

blackwolfTR New Member

As mentioned earlier, commercially-wise it makes sense. There are certainly routes in Scotland with more dramatic scenery, but EDI-GLA is quite ok and Edinburgh Waverley is beautifully set in the historic city center with a plenty to see - if done properly (curious also if Linlithgow palace will be present in simplified form, being more distant from the station). On top of that there is Stirling/Dunblane branch possibility, which would be very pleasant surprise from Rivet, and freight services from Grangemouth.

• Like Like x 2
  4. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

I'd personally have preferred something like Edinburgh- Dundee, but I'm still happy to see it.

Clearly people are getting very antsy and want to see an official announcement soon. Including me. I haven't played TSW3 in weeks, I need something to reinvigorate my interest.

• Like Like x 1
  5. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I am looking forward to it, I didn't think it would be long for an Edinburgh to Glasgow route comes out. It will be a nice addition to the collection. Personally I would prefer it set in British Rail days but I will still enjoy it. I do hope some DLC might be added in the future, as I do with many other routes which could do with some more life.

This might be the route to exorcise the ghosts of Arosa and West Cornwall past.

6. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Let's hope Waverley and Queen Street don't copy the emptiness of other major hubs and termini in the game, such as Glasgow Central and Birmingham New Street.

7. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Of-course they will, I don't know why we would think it'll be any different.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Agreed, but then I also don't quite understand the hype around London-Reading. Equally boring. Guess it must be a well-known route, and the experience is much better if you know the route in real life...

9. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  10. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

PIS announcements!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Well, you have a point. But, apart from being made to a pretty high standard, GWE has a plethora of drivable trains and some involving game- play.

Although Paddington is not especially interesting and certainly not as busy as it should be.

12. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

'

The landscape isn't interesting enough to go slow speeds with the Class 166. The route isn't long enough to go high speeds with the HST. And the Class 66 is almost full throttle green light runs.

Sure, it comes with a nice selection of trains, but even those trains would be better off on another route :P

• Like Like x 1
  13. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Looks good from the screenshots and sounds like there some nice new feature which is something Rivit are good at.

Seems like there are no branches from the description, which is what I assumed would be the case so as per so many routes.

However if it looks good on the stream with no obvious problems I will probably purchase it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. glenn.doig

glenn.doig Member

I really hope the timetable is made realistically rather than those that have arrival times at stations with random seconds on them. The railway in the UK plans to 30 second intervals and it’s good that some routes have this as it’s far more realistic.

• Like Like x 2
  15. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

100% this - Rivet have relied on the autocalculated timings too much in the past. If I have one make-or-break for this route, it's that the timetable is properly represented with real timings throughout.

• Like Like x 7
  16. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Rivet hasn’t posted anything yet even though it’s literally their own route?? I guess DTG literally took matters into their own hands because they wanted to make an announcement before the roadmap.

17. rennekton#1349

Or maybe rivet told dtg to release the article.

• Like Like x 1
  18. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Interestingly, the Class 385 will have working onboard announcements. A first for TSW I think?

upload_2023-1-12_16-37-10.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  19. Bravo2six

Bravo2six Well-Known Member

That's what the article says xD

• Like Like x 1
  20. rennekton#1349

Yup, it's a first. Now we gotta wait to see how it actually ends up

21. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

22. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Here is a challenge for the modders - can you get us inside the trams, so we can at least ride up and down Princes Street in them? :D

• Like Like x 3
  23. seagull81006

seagull81006 Active Member

I wonder how the trams will be represented train wise

24. MAX1319

MAX1319 Well-Known Member

So Jasper mentioned a total of 10 station total but in the route I count 9. Which one I’m missing
    upload_2023-1-12_16-49-16.png

25. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

Edinburgh Park, which isn't served by Waverley-Queen Street services.

• Like Like x 1
  26. MAX1319

MAX1319 Well-Known Member

Ok thank you for the information :)

27. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

Just another way of saying that I understand

28. Bravo2six

Rivet just posted this.
    Looks like its gone under the radar

• Like Like x 2
  29. gogglesguy

gogglesguy Well-Known Member

Shame the 385 has such a tiny front window

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  30. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I can see myself putting an external camera on the nose of this train for a better view. I do that with the 377 and 387 on London Commuter most of the time.

• Like Like x 1
  31. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

Blimey, that's a tiny viewing window, not going to see much of the route with that. Maybe they could design another cab view closer to the window, or do what hhhmsim, and 377 driver does - have a full outside front view, with the important gauges overlaid.

32. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

I believe that's how it is in the real world, given that they work with the official train company, so the design shouldn't be wrong.

33. gogglesguy

gogglesguy Well-Known Member

Not criticizing the modelling, just an observation of British trains in general.

• Like Like x 1
  34. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

35. lcyrrjp

lcyrrjp Well-Known Member

Yes, it’s a characteristic of most modern UK EMUs and DMUs I’m afraid.

Older stock had a narrower corridor connection (if it had one at all). Then the standards changed regarding what was required, and the wider corridor meant a smaller Driver’s window. The effect is amplified by the fact that the additional equipment on the Driver’s desk on newer stock means that the Driver’s seat tends to be further from the window than on older stock. This further reduces the width of the Driver’s field of vision.

As a Driver you can still see what you need to be able to see operationally, but you can’t see much else!

• Like Like x 2
  36. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

At this rate, in 10-15 years, the driver will be looking at the track through a drinking straw.

• Like Like x 3
  37. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

For me Driving the 166 is like:- 166_be_Like.png

Driving the 37X is more like:-
    37x.png

But I enjoy the Challenge of both.

38. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

There won’t be drivers in 15 years time, it’ll all be AI and robots. Trains won’t need a window at the front at all. You read it here first.

39. Ferrovipathe67

Ferrovipathe67 Well-Known Member

ansvers no xd doing AI lines entirely is impossible

40. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I really find this deplorable. What's so important about being able to walk the length of the train, especially a commuter train? The Germans don't bother with it; they assume people are clever enough to board the right coach.

• Like Like x 5
  41. lcyrrjp

lcyrrjp Well-Known Member

Some operators do it so that a refreshment trolley can get through the full length of the train, or so that the Conductor can do so for revenue protection reasons. It’s not just the operators though; recently union reps have refused to allow Class 360s on EMR to run in multiple unless there’s a conductor in every set at all times - even though numerous other operators run stock without corridor connections in multiple with only one Conductor (or indeed, none…).

42. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Well, there's two different discussions here actually.

First, why would do these trains have tiny windows in real life? Well, I guess they have reasons.

Secondly (and more importantly IMO), why do game developers decide that these trains are the most interesting ones? I guess they have their reasons too.

Personally, I totally understand people want to have their trains realistically. So yeah, if the Class 385 has tiny windows in real life, it should have them in the game (obviously), and if the Class 385 runs on the route in real life, it should also run on the route in the game.

However, TSW main purpose is home entertainment. Wether that's a game or a simulator, that's up to you. But personally I consider enjoying the scenery is one of the main things I enjoy in this piece of software. So I don't like trains with tiny windows. It's the main reason I actually bought the Class 313, which has notably larger windows than the Class 377. It's also why I'm quite dissapointed I can use the 465 and 166 only on small portions of the London-Brighton route.

The Class 385 seems to have the tiniest windows I've seen so far, even worse than some of the steam locomotives I've played in TSC. That's the sole reason I'm not looking forward playing with the Class 385, no matter how awesome the new features like the train announcements are. No matter how good the route is looking (because, what's the point of good scenery with such a small window?).

Perhaps this route, in this era, isn't the best choice, if it only runs tiny-window trains. But then, each of us has different things we like and dislike about the game. I've seen people complain about not liking older trains, while personally I quite like them. At least they have some decent sized windows :P

And well, lets hope we'll get some layers and substitution which allows us to drive some big-window trains on the route. Even a Jubilee would have a better view on the scenery. :cool:

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  43. Bravo2six

I do suspect it could be licencing reasons, ScotRail could have said that DTG should promote their shiny new train, after having displayed their much older 314s.

In reality, who knows?
    Like all others though, I'm sure there will be a camera view further forward to improve the visibility somewhat.

44. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

I often drive in left or right view, head out of the locomotive. You can admire the scenery while driving.
    When it is possible because from memory, Rivet had not implemented it in one of his achievements.

45. ghawk2005

ghawk2005 Well-Known Member

5702EC75-4C24-4E17-9388-21BBF518B961.jpeg How come some excellent high quality companies can get stuff fixed within a matter of just a few days, and other companies…naming no names take OVER A YEAR to fix fundamental and catastrophic errors?

DTG need to have these guys heavily involved with physics and sounds. The only way forward.

46. rennekton#1349

Dtg already use ap sounds lol. And for ap to join and learn the tools and get involved in simugraph, that would take over a year for them to learn and it's up to ap to decide if they want to join. Just trains still learning the tools even though it's been over a year already. So ap joining doesn't mean it'll be a quick process

47. ghawk2005

ghawk2005 Well-Known Member

DTG need to have these
    I am well aware that they source the sounds from AP, thank you very much. But it’s a totally different world just supplying the sounds to actually implementing, scripting them and working on making sure the physics are spot on like they do with TSC. So what if it takes a year to learn how to do it, no better time to start than the present.

48. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Sorry, but you'll have to be more specific if you want others to know that which you speak of. Bestn't speak in riddles.

Cheers

49. glenn.doig

glenn.doig Member

My worry is that as per other Rivet Games releases, when the throttle is set to neutral and you're coasting at say 15 mph you can hear the Traction Motor sounds still... I think that's what the train passing in the background was doing :|

• Like Like x 2
  50. Bravo2six

Dont forget that AP ONLY release on PC, while DTG have PS and XBox to deal with.
    Patches can take alongtime if they are being rolled out across the board because XBOX have strict testing requirements that have to be met (by themselves) before allowing things to go live.
    I don't know what sony are like. But I have seen that DTG will make a patch universal, rather than staggering them depending on the console.

The whole argument of 'they can do it so why can't DTG' is hogwash.
    Different companies, totally different scenarios.

It's like comparing mclaren cars to tata cars, if one can make a reasonably priced affordable car, why can't the other?.
    See what I mean?

Either way, AP and DTG have totally different operating processes.
    Do DTG do all the bug fixing for their products or is it put to the 3rd parties who make the route?
    Do DTG even know what the issue is first? Is it even a universal bug or only on specific rigs and specific settings. The hardest fault to find is an intermittent one.
    Some people say IoW2022 is completely unplayable and crashes all the time, for me and others its totally fine.

Look at the new rivet PIS, will it be down to DTG to bugfix it? If they haven't even made it?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023