Is Simrail What Tsw Should Have Been?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jamy, Dec 12, 2022.

1. denis

denis Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="OldVern, post: 589803, member: 22440"
    Edit: Ah what the heck. Took the plunge and purchased (install later).[/QUOTE]

The same, not installed yet

2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Yes it's a big download, @44Gb. Guess I'll be playing later.

3. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Lol i ended up doing the same- just waiting for it to install.

4. Xander1986

Xander1986 Well-Known Member

no for me absolutely not. Feels not realistic. It's not good and overall a game with awfully graphics is an absolute game breaker. Zusi3 is better then this game.

• Like Like x 1
  5. denis

denis Well-Known Member

Zusi 3 is unplaybale at all, only for a few people. Sim rail is what is needed the best from Zusi and Run8. Sim Rail has changed render of trees and bushes, now it much more better and fps is higher

6. DmitriSkif

DmitriSkif Active Member

Higher than was in Alpha release?
    Hope so, as drawing distance and flora were terrible there...

Haven't purchased yet, but I'm planning to do so. All updates seem to be for free so my early access will become a full-functional game in future year or two.

7. OldVern

I've got to dive in and take a proper look but it seems my suspicions about single player are confirmed. A handful of missions/scenarios, nothing like the all day timetable we get from TSW. Looks like all the effort has gone into the multiplayer side. That is, I have to say, somewhat disappointing.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Disintegration7

It really seems to be almost entirely MP, which is fine, but also disappointing to some degree. Will SP be fleshed out down the road, or is this it? Shunting is stated to come later, so we'll see how that affects the overall gameplay.

Performance seems worse than the play test tbh, maybe having the full map loaded takes a toll.

I did complete a short MP run on a different part of the map from the playtest, which went fine.

9. nie Kolejarz#7489

nie Kolejarz#7489 Member

I really hope Simrail would be better. TSW last time only gets worse. Ignoring countries outisde of UK, US and DE. No official modding, very high prices and just boring content, like UK EMUs. We need a change

• Like Like x 2
  10. OldVern

No save in SP mode with some of the (very few) scenarios being nearly 4 hours long.

Unacceptable.

Hate to use the the "refund" word but I am very disappointed. Massive screen pixelation in Warsaw, too.

• Like Like x 3
  11. nie Kolejarz#7489

nie Kolejarz#7489 Member

I think that Simrail release was too early. They should have been make it later, maybe around 06.2023. The nest half of the year would be a good time to ad saving and repair problems

12. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I think PlayWay pushed them at this point to release something... Similar to TSW the greatest detriment to the simulator is the bean counters...

13. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Just picked it up hoping I will be able to get a chance to play once I am feeling better.

14. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Although I had my eyes on simrail and played through the playtest for a bit, it just doesn't do it for me. It doesn't blow tsw out of the water even though many people are adamant it does with features not in tsw. It does have more interactivity with the buttons, but other than that, isn't really revolutionary enough for me to care. Simrail was a bit overhyped tbh. Multiplayer got boring pretty quickly, singleplayer only had tutorials. No save option. Not much to do content wise. It is only a 500km route in Poland. While tsw may have its own issues such as poor night lighting, bugs and other major issues that are taking a while to get fixed, at least there is gameplay variety. Lots of different trains that drive differently and different routes. Doesn't matter if it is mostly uk, germany and the us. At least I don't have play on a single long route on repeat. Can always choose a different route or train when I'm bored.

• Like Like x 5
  15. OldVern

Very conflicted this morning. Part of me wants to support the project but the ongoing silence from the devs regarding SP and the save game is disquieting. Definitely rushed out with the early access tag to excuse the incomplete state, the question being is it genuine early access where we will see real improvements and enhancements over the coming months, or more like The Bus where EA seems to have been an excuse to leave it there and not change much at all.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

"Early access" means unfinished, and for some reason is now allowed to go on for months... Rail Route as an example has been released for almost two years, is on rev8 of the core game, but still in "early access"... I wouldn't be putting any money on the game being "finished"

• Like Like x 2
  17. Xander1986

That's the whole point! It's overhyped and this game is rushed for a release to earn money quick as possible. I have seen a lot of games that never finished in EA so I do not spend my money on this.

18. Jonne1184

Jonne1184 Well-Known Member

Rushed for release is a bit hilarious considering this game is already more than two years behind schedule. But I guess it was a relase now or go bust situation. To be honest, the way they seem to be running their business, I do not think we will see them around for too long.

19. ARuscoe

Comments above are probably jumping several guns, but I guess this does go to show one thing...
    Making a train sim game isn't as easy as several people on this and other forums make it out to be.

• Like Like x 5
  20. OldVern

I think it goes to show, for all the flaws in TSC and TSW, as I said at the outset I don't think DTG have anything to worry about in terms of competition from SimRail.

• Like Like x 4
  21. ARuscoe

Oh, I agree
    There's more than enough interest in trains nowadays and people willing to play with sim games in general to allow both to have a decent player base
    I don't think this is a Sim City vs Skylines situation where one sim will overawe all others.

22. Xander1986

That's correct but they rushed the last part... They didn't wait any longer so it's rushed but not the whole process off course....

23. DmitriSkif

DmitriSkif Active Member

I don't think they've worried at all. Not talking about TSW, just some cosmetic tweaks to TSC like modern HD terrain grid, improved flora and trackside - and it will get even more for at least future 3-5 years. The only one thing which takes SimRail the potential - is announced modding capability and API. No modding means this game is even weaker than World of Subways or Derail Valley (made with Unity too).

24. OldVern

The WIP screens I've seen of DV "Simulator" are actually looking quite nice.

25. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

Everyone has to start somewhere, and this isn't a bad start, they have created a fairly large environment and given players the ability to drive numerous trains, that is a good start and it deserves to have its fans, hopefully it will grow into something, but personally I'd have to really want that multiplayer, or Polish content, to overlook everything else, and neither of those were high on my list. I gave it a go but refunded before the 3 hours was up.

What it does well:
    - The trains. They look great, they are well modelled inside and out, and they sit better than any other asset in the world, they look nice in the lighting, and tend to outshine whatever is around them.
    - The NPCs. Whilst not amazing, they do have little animated interacts with one another, it is nice to see a couple of them appearing deep in conversation.
    - Performance. Save for some issues around Warsaw central, it runs pretty smoothly, which isn't bad for a new game these days.
    - If you like multiplayer, and the specific way multiplayer in this title has been designed, then there's not much else out there that can give you what this does.

For me the biggest drawbacks are:
    - Driving experience. The game does not convey the feeling of being in a train well at all. It just seems to lack the 'weight', for want of a better word, that TSW seems able to convey. Probably related to the camera and how static it feels, and no support for any input other than mouse and keyboard (my least favourite input combo!).
    - Game Design. Well, the lack of it. There is zero sense of occasion in this game as it stands, whatever you do it goes unnoticed and it seems to celebrate the tedium of the job of driving and dispatching. Some will like no nonsense sims that avoid obvious game-y elements, and that is fine, but I am not someone who wants the feeling of doing someone's job, I want there to be an element of entertainment, something that says "hey, we designed this experience for you to have fun in your spare time, when you could be doing anything else", this game does not have any of that.
    - Graphics/artwork/lighting. The trains look great... The world however looks odd. I cannot put my finger on it exactly because no one thing is obviously awful, save for some glitches around Warsaw central, but it just looks cartoonish, the colors are off, the skybox doesn't look all that god, and it just combines to feel not very nice.

As I said, they have to start somewhere, and my experience with this industry is that more time does not necessarily lead to better quality, what happens is all the reasons that lead to below standard quality in the first place just continue and generate more issues for whatever later release date is planned. Sometimes you are better off releasing it and seeing what player reception is, so it can force you to focus on what the players think are priorities, it snaps you out of the tunnel vision as a developer that you can get in when it's just internal testing and devs trying to manage priorities.

Will keep an eye on it. If they make enough money to get by then they can continue to development and improve it, as well as adding content so maybe I'll be more interested in future.

• Like Like x 10
  26. Disintegration7

I think this is very well said. It's definitely not BAD, but it's very unpolished and some of the rough edges really detract from the experience:

- the map, or lack thereof. I'll never complain about TSW'S map again, i swear.

- combined with the lack of map, my complete unfamiliarity with the setting leads to a sense of disconnection. It's hard to describe exactly, but the setting just seems very featureless- this could be true to life, i have no idea.

- as mentioned above, little to no context to what i'm doing. Single player only has a couple scenarios that basically involve driving the whole route (with no save feature). Multiplayer is more interesting, and has more variety, but the service descriptions are so bare-bones that they're useless except to know which train you're driving and estimated length. Is this a local commuter, an express, what's the priority? Maybe it's a localization issue?

-No controller support. I play on a laptop, so mouse/keyboard is very clunky for me. I've gotten used to it, but i'd really prefer to play with a controller. The control scheme isn't complicated, so hopefully it will be quickly implemented.

• Like Like x 2
  27. DmitriSkif

DmitriSkif Active Member

Well said, man.

Not actually bad, but too raw product. Will see what way SimRail will go. DV already have chosen the wrong one - their graphics and game mechanics are much more interesting and non-trivial than Polish- and as a result, no any oficial modding tools and partnership programs. I hope, Polish developers will be more intelligent and forward-looking people.

• Like Like x 1
  28. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

What happened to breblimator, our Polish correspondent for SimRail’s progress? Was he banned or did he decide to ditch TSW for good and go full SimRail? To be honest I couldn’t make out what he was on about half the time.

29. jörgen Näslund

jörgen Näslund Well-Known Member

I agree not bad simulator. I really like to drive the Freight trains. But its a raw product just now.
    This could be my favorite simulator if some years then they have developed a more finished simulator.

30. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I’m reserving judgment for the moment. After the first couple of hours, I was really disappointed. As a single player game it’s very lacking in a lot of areas at the moment and I have zero interest in multiplayer.

I’m not going to refund. It’s early access, so I’ll give it a proper chance + it’s less than the price of a TSW dlc, so it’s no big loss if I don’t get on with it.

Lots of positives though. It looks and sounds very nice. So fingers crossed there is some better single player game play on the way.

At the moment it’s not going to replace either TSC or TSW for me and I don’t really understand some of the overly positive reviews on Steam.

• Like Like x 3
  31. traindori

traindori Well-Known Member

Ultimately everything stands and falls with the general accessibility (also for beginners, otherwise SimRail remains more of a "Polish Zusi") and how it looks with 3rd party and new routes from other countries. Personally, I'm just not attracted to an exclusively Polish track, even if it's 300 km long, to which I don't otherwise have any connection. In terms of usability, TSW3 is still ahead, with SimRail you are more likely to be thrown in deep cold water. In addition, a mishmash of Polish, English and German lyrics. Especially as a beginner you never really know what you are actually doing and why you are doing it.

The developers of SimRail have only focused on multiplayer, which I think it's a shame. For a single player like me there is not much to discover and there is no 24-hour timetable as we are used to from TSW. "Maneuvering tasks" should also be missing, as a memory function (a no-go for trips lasting several hours!). Overall, the game seems a bit overhyped to me.

We will see.

32. hyzwar

hyzwar Guest

• Like Like x 2
  33. Rafael320

Rafael320 Member

let's wait a bit with the verdict or something.
    Let me remind you all, who charched the money for beta and EA for TSW, all the bugs has
    has not been corrected for the final or the version was perfect, without bugs :D ?
    How many open letters has been posted on this forum, about bugs ?
    I still has the feeling that I'm playing the EA of TSW too ....

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  34. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Correct because the original version is used by PKP polish Railways as a simulator. Simrail commercial might have Posen Reppen Berlin Hbf built for Cross Border PKP polish Railways drivers to Berlin

35. DmitriSkif

DmitriSkif Active Member

If the original is used by PKP as a simulator, I have a bad news for SimKol.

My homemade cockpit made for TSC is much more stable and has better graphics ;)

36. ARuscoe

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  37. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

No point being overly defensive because people are giving opinions about a newly released game. There is never a 'final' verdict with live service games like this that constantly evolve, you can only ever judge on the state of the game at a particular moment, it's only as good as its latest iteration or patch. 99% of this forum have at one stage or another said TSW is broken and they won't play it, only to come back and carry on as normal once a patch fix is released or a new iteration comes out. If you know how this industry, and particularly niche games like this work in terms of development timelines, you can safely say that development on new features will not be fast, it never is, most of the updates are just tinkering around the edges or releasing new paid for content to keep the coffers full, and what is not in the game on launch is not a few weeks away, it is likely months or years away. TSW is a very good example of that.

The Prologue for SimRail came out over a year ago, and in terms of single player gameplay, virtually nothing has changed beyond the available rolling stock and stretches of line, the gameplay is identical, it is fanciful to think it will be drastically different in another year or so, games like this simply do not change fast, they do so slowly and over the course of years.

• Like Like x 3
  38. OldVern

It doesn't help that they have withheld the editors (oh who does that remind us of?! :) ) which prevents users from making a series of chained scenarios to run one train across the route in several manageable portions.

There are various veiled hints that the devs are looking to get some sort of save game up and running albeit no timescale. So on that basis I will probably rebuy later when the Steam Wallet clears and hope my leap of faith bears fruit.

Edit: Folded and rebought. Drama no more from me, I promise...

• Like Like x 2
  39. jayzhead

jayzhead Active Member

I just came off of a 3 hour session in multiplayer... As someone who always considered my attitude towards multiplayer as "meh" and who never ranked it high in dovetail's surveys, I must say I was VERY wrong. Multiplayer is awesome. It gives a sense of occasion to every drive. Talking to real people manning signal boxes, working together with other drivers to solve issues - all of it is just a joyous experience, completely other level than driving yet another uneventful service mode slot that's always the same, or a pre-programmed scenario.

But mostly, I am impressed at how many things SimRail does right from the get-go, things that took Dovetail YEARS to implement into TSW, and things they are still very inconsistent about - things like sounds, physics, and lighting. You can FEEL the weight of the train you're driving; you can hear every little squeak it makes. You have long, proper routes right away, routes that you can easily have a 2-3 hour session driving from end to end, none of that 25 minutes and you're out of track nonsense. The graphics are great IMO, routes are maybe just a tad less detailed and organic looking than TSW's, but close enough for me. The two routes provided are very lively and populated in MP. And this is just an early access release.

Oh yeah, and it cost considerably less than one DTG route addon does nowadays after their most recent price hike, and it comes with TWO full, long routes and four or five different drivable trains.

I think SimRail will quickly become THE train simulator. Especially after the editor gets enabled. Sorry DTG, I've been giving you guys my money for a long time, but now I do not see myself buying another route for TSW at full price, as things stand. I know SimRail will probably be too detailed and hard to learn for casual players who just want to get up and go, but for sim geeks like me it is what I've been waiting for, and it promises to be what I always felt TSW had the potential to be but never became. Especially considering that I've encountered less bugs in the routes of that early access game than TSW routes seem to have on release nowadays.

• Like Like x 14
  40. Xander1986

The whole point is... What did you expect from a game. Some people doesn't understand that people have different options and have different needs for a game. I can only ask to be a little politely to eachother and have respect for each point off view without the hate what I have read already. Have fun with each game and make a better community and respect everyone's choice!

• Like Like x 3
  41. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Wait, the all time highest concurrent users on TSW2 was 3,000 2 years ago, and the all time highest concurrent users on TSW3 is 1600 4 months ago...uh that isn't good news at all. Even adding together the 24 hour peaks for both games its lower than Simrail...

But more importantly does it suggest that TSW has lost half its players in the last few years?

The TSW2020 peak was 1900 and that was 6 years ago.

• Like Like x 2
  42. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

That doesn't factor in console users. TSW 3 is the only train game on the Microsoft store for instance (well there is metro simulator).

SimRail is supposed to come out for gen 8 and current gen consoles this year so it'll be nice to have another option on the console market besides TSW

43. DmitriSkif

DmitriSkif Active Member

Seems we've played different SimRails as in mine EU07 even doesn't have any cab occlusion and has very weak track rumble sound. I open the window frame - and nothing happens. Come on - even TSC has an ability to add quite realistic external effects for cab using scripts and play with volume curves and controllers... Look for locos from Rivet games, as an example, or Frankfurter U-bahn.
    I rode in real EU07 and can tell you - it rides not the same. Especially when you reach about 100-100 kph - that feelings are MUCH more impressive than SimRail makes. There're no even wind hiss and suspension rattle, not talking about head bob and loco's body tilt.

But, sincerely said, I believe SimKol will make a MEAN hardcore train simulator. In 2-3 years. If they will have sufficient money from our donations.

44. DmitriSkif

DmitriSkif Active Member

Take plus from me too. If SimKol keep their promises about modding tools and API for SimRail (hey, DTG?) - this game will become the Market leader in hardcore train simulation software. I was dreaming of moddable simulator with walking capabilities for years.

• Like Like x 3
  45. jayzhead

jayzhead Active Member

I don't know what version you played, I was just playing that loco and I'm pretty sure when you open window outside noise comes in. Same when you open the door. Head bob is also simulated, though I'd agree it's not very pronounced and could use a slider in the settings rather than an on-off switch. I'd agree that track sounds are not where they should be yet, especially with the newer trains. There is body sway, somewhat. At switches as well, which always bothered me not being in TSW. Maybe it's not the best it could be as of yet but I seem to remember it took many years of TSC before basic sway was even added at all, before that trains were glued to the track like they were on MTS. And It's still not right even on TSW3, IMO, there are still many trains that feel weird and bouncy like they're made of air, and not at all like a train would (the BR146 and 182 immediately come to mind). Now I'm sure I'd become disillusioned with some aspects of the SimRail simulation when I've spent more time with it (lack of raildriver support comes to mind right away), but the overall feeling I get is that it's feels more realistic already. Definitely much more than how TSW physics felt when heavy haul was first released.

• Like Like x 5
  46. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

There are a bunch of problems with this metric - TSWs are also on consoles, and those are supposedly a lot larger markets; there's also the Microsoft store and EGS, so the number of players is substantially larger. Many players haven't gone from TSW2 to 3 yet either, so the base is split between the two now, hence the TSW3 numbers... BUT... I really wouldn't be surprised if the numbers for TSW3 actually went down... everybody has a tipping point, and DTG is treating the community badly, to say the least, with countless DLCs left to rot without much-needed fixes, lack of transparency, lasting core issues, it all creates a very unhealthy relationship with the long-time players, and they leave and don't recommend the game any further.

• Like Like x 7
  47. traindori

traindori Well-Known Member

Well, let's wait and see how Simrail will continue and whether the Early Access phase will ever be left (there are quite a few negative examples). Some questions remain unanswered by the developers: For example, will there be a save function (especially for the very long journeys of several hours!) or timetables and more scenarios for single players (which go beyond driving back and forth)?! Or will it stay focused on multiplayer?

Multiplayer is not an option for me, so switching to Simrail is out of the question for me at the moment. I think many people feel the same way, who just want to relax and take a ride on the train. With the much more complicated user interface, the different languages and the poor tutorials, getting started is definitely more difficult and sluggish than with the TSW.

It seems to me that Simrail is currently getting a lot of advance praise, as many were looking forward to the multiplayer.

• Like Like x 3
  48. OldVern

A dev has responded on the official forum this morning and it doesn't sound promising re the save game. Their scenario editor is not going to happen during early access either. I have found a bit of a workaround, by working a train in MP, making a note of where I left it then using one of the third party interactive maps to identify an AI train on a server at an approximate location to take over. However it's hardly a long term practical solution.

Personally I have a feeling once the novelty has worn off, people have travelled the route a couple of times, we will see the numbers drop off.

• Like Like x 1
  49. ARuscoe

No, it suggests than on steam the highest number of players in a session is that number, all other conclusions are conjecture

50. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

No I don't think so, I actually think that number is quite worrying. I don't believe people have moved from steam to any other platform and re-purchased all their addons there, nor do i see people leaving steam for consoles. Indeed I see quite the reverse, console players moving to steam because of the more frequent discounts etc.

If we are talking about the peak number of concurrent users being not just years ago, but versions ago then things are not moving in the right direction. There is no reason why console numbers would buck this trend, especially given the many fiascos those users have faced in the last few years.

• Like Like x 3