Xbox Crashing

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by sophieclarke1983, Jan 14, 2023.

1. sophieclarke1983

sophieclarke1983 Well-Known Member

Was happily doing runs on one of my favourite route on the Gatwick express services of London to Gatwick airport Brighton. And back and was coming back on round trip everything was fine and without warning tsw3 completely closed itself down and was kicked to Xbox Home Screen has anyone else experienced this and are there any fixes? Am so frustrated as enjoy tsw3 and this route when it’s not playing up

• Like Like x 1
  2. yardem

yardem Well-Known Member

It happens. Have you tried turning it off and on again?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Sounds like the classic out of memory error, what model of XBox are you on?

• Like Like x 1
  4. sophieclarke1983

Series S but I bought the seagate expansion card which is where I have tsw3 and all adds ons with plenty of free memory left on it

5. sophieclarke1983

Yes

6. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

I've had this a couple times on Series X with the route, but this has only been literally around 3-4 times out of more than 500 services completed. I'd just continue playing as normal.

• Like Like x 1
  7. doomedcookie

doomedcookie Active Member

How many routes have you got on TSW3

• Like Like x 1
  8. ta#7392

ta#7392 New Member

I have 8 routes plus 4 from tsw2

9. sophieclarke1983

22 in total including tsw3 compatibile routes from tsw2 would you advise removing tsw2?

10. doomedcookie

NO don't remove TSW2. Put some of your least favourite routes on there instead. I've done that put some of my boring routes on TSW2 and the OFM bug stops. It's still laggy but it shouldnt crash.
    Crossing Fingers cause I'm worried about the next 3 routes that are coming up. I've got Series S too.

• Like Like x 1
  11. doomedcookie

Keep your favourite routes on TSW3.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Princess Entrapta

That's not the kind of memory that the error relates to.
    Computer systems have two kinds of memory, the storage, where you put things, and the RAM, where it temporarily loads all the stuff it needs to do things.

The RAM is a fixed quantity in a game console.
    Think of RAM like a bucket, that you are pouring stuff into, and scooping stuff out of every time you load or shut down a game. The problem is some games don't manage that particularly well as regards how big the bucket is, and will occasionally pour more into the bucket than the amount that is being removed, and the bucket spills. that causes the game to crash.
    The Series S has a smaller bucket than the Series X, and TSW unfortunately, on some routes, in some circumstances (London commuter with all its layers for example) tries to add a bit more to the bucket when it is already full.

On Series S, TSW can access up to 8GB of RAM, on Series X it has 13.5GB available. 69 (nice) percent more memory. That's a 69% bigger bucket if we're staying on the analogy and measuring in Litres instead of Gigabytes.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ta#7392

ta#7392 New Member

I have 1t plus 85g on my Xbox series x and i not experience crash on tsw3 and tsw2

• Like Like x 1
  14. ta#7392

ta#7392 New Member

i need help with db br 766.2 livery in dresden-riesa the problem is when i select livery on db br 146 and 766.2 livery in custom Route then start the scenario my 766.2 cab car is on opposite direction why?

Attached Files:

15. Princess Entrapta

Oooh my friend came up with a good office comparison of the different types of memory.
    One (the SSD) is like a filing cabinet you fill up with stuff you want to store for reference.
    The other (the RAM) is like a corkboard, you only have so much space and so many pins for sticking up documents on it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. NateDogg7a

NateDogg7a Well-Known Member

As stated, limiting the total number of DLC you have downloaded may help. The DLC manager, when finally released, might obviate the need to take this step. Another thing you can try is to limit your custom liveries, both for the route in question and in general. Approaching a train with a custom livery has, very rarely, caused TSW to dump to the home screen for me on Series S.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. andrewandjane66

andrewandjane66 Well-Known Member

Happens all the time for me on Xbox One, usually approaching Victoria. As a result I usually only do routes leaving Victoria. If you can get as far as Clapham Junction you can usually finish the route.

• Like Like x 4
  18. sophieclarke1983

Thanks for info I’m hoping that the new scotrail route won’t crash at all when that releases

19. yardem

yardem Well-Known Member

I wouldn't get my hopes up. Apparently, these crashes on XBox One are quite common, regardless of route.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Princess Entrapta

Unfortunately it comes with it being a console with ten year old hardware. It's impressive that it can run at all on it, given the amount of available memory in the XBox One, which is half that of the low-end current gen Series S hardware. But it's very much hardware that's on its last legs. TSW3 will undoubtedly be the last incarnation of TSW to run on 8th gen hardware.

21. Lightspeed

Lightspeed Well-Known Member

I had to uninstall Bremen-Oldenburg, since it kept crashing whenever I pull into Bremen Hbf. Thankfully I was able to finish full runs on the route. Also, on a separate note, I was playing The Callisto Protocol and out of nowhere, game crashed to dashboard. I had to completely shutdown my Series S and unplugged it for a couple of minutes. Problem solved…

22. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

How was the gameplay on Series S on that route? On Series X, I love the route but the stuttering at times throughout, especially at higher speeds, can be unbearable at times. I have no other routes that compare with the amount of constant stuttering with exception of Bremen. :|

• Like Like x 1
  23. Lightspeed

Lightspeed Well-Known Member

Performance is alright on Series S on the route however, I think it was causing the other German routes to crash randomly. I think the route needs patching with improvements, so the game does not crash whenever I get off at Bremen Hbf.

• Like Like x 1
  24. mooredean1978

mooredean1978 Active Member

Are you using a 4 K TV at 120 fps since using this TV I've experienced no problems. So I suggest you invest in a 4K TV 120 fps and that will stop the out of memory issues and crashes

• Like Like x 1
  25. Princess Entrapta

Possibly tone down the trolling, some people genuinely aren't tech-savvy enough to figure out this is meant to be sarcastic and might actually take it as sincere advice.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Princess Entrapta

It'd be more surprising to hear someone managed to play The Callisto Protocol without it crashing, based on everything I've seen of that game.

27. mooredean1978

I'm not tech savvy as you put it and I'm not being sarcastic it's actually advice next time I won't bother giving advice deal with it yourselves

28. lyntaylor#9543

lyntaylor#9543 New Member

It’s been happening to me too on Series S, basically 60% crash rate between London Vic and Clapham.

29. mooredean1978

What TV are you using I had the same problems with London Commuter with out of memory issues but I got myself a 4K TV at 120 fps, since the London Commuter is a big route with lots of layers and services switching to a more powerful TV has been great and experienced no out of memory issues since

30. Princess Entrapta

That wouldn't change anything. The memory issues are 100% internal to the console's hardware and how it interacts with the game's software.

The TV is just a screen. it receives a video output from the console, that's it. It cannot in any way reduce or optimise how much memory the system is using unless it's a lower resolution screen, and you set the console to use a lower rendering resolution to match.

The only way you'd see an improvement to the crashing happen when you get a better TV, is if you probably got the TV around the same time as a patch to tackle some of the memory issues.

It's like if you got new fuzzy dice for your car at the same time as you got it serviced, and the engine knocking went away. There is physically no way the fuzzy dice could interact with the combustion process in the engine, it doesn't happen. But you saw the improvement in the performance happen when you stuck them to your window and drew the wrong conclusion.

(As a side note, I do wish TSW was capable of the sort of performance that would take advantage of a 120hz display, but alas, it does often fail to hit its existing FPS caps on Series S and X, so an uncapped VRR mode would likely not see significant returns, and therefore we're unlikely to see anything above 60 from it, unless we get a native 1440p mode, or perhaps if they added a VRR-supporting uncapped 1080p mode on Series X)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  31. yardem

yardem Well-Known Member

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc
    It's a common fallacy. I like the example on that wiki page:
    The rooster crows immediately before sunrise; therefore the rooster causes the sun to rise.

32. Princess Entrapta

Well yes, unfortunately it's a side effect of the very same pattern-recognition firmware we run that makes us capable of rational thought in the first place, so none of us are inherently immune to that kind of mistake.

33. mooredean1978

Well I've experienced no issues since having a 4K TV at 120 fps so what your saying is wrong

34. StrikeEagle78

StrikeEagle78 Well-Known Member

I have a small stone from my garden that stops tigers from mauling me. Ever since I picked it up, I have never suffered a tiger attack. If you wish, I could sell you my proven method of tiger attack prevention :D

• Like Like x 3
  35. NateDogg7a

NateDogg7a Well-Known Member

This was also done on an episode of The Simpsons; of course Homer does end up buying the stone from Lisa.

• Like Like x 2