Scotrail Express: Scottish Perspective

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by trainsimplayer, Jan 12, 2023.

1. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  2. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

I’m also hoping for some great Trainspotting locations. Doing the Princes Street Gardens right outside Edinburgh Waverly would be straightforward since the scenery is already there (as visible on one of the screenshots), and the trams apparently run alongside the border of that park as well.

3. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

Now that i have seen a class 380 and a class 385 i notice they look extremely similar to each other so what distinguishes them from each other?

4. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

We don’t even have those trains in TSW.

If you meant in the future, then possibly so.

• Like Like x 2
  5. londonmidland

The Class 380s are quite a few years older and were built by Siemens from 2009 and 2011.

The 385s were built by Hitachi between 2015 and 2019.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SHINO BAZ

Info on the tram route says it's 8.7 miles long so how much of this routes line is close enough to the route that the class 385 train uses it that might get modeled and stocked with AI tram trains?

7. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

For starters, they look different exterior wise, especially the headlights, internal seating is probably different, different performance, power, etc.

8. SteveRail

SteveRail Well-Known Member

The tram runs right beside the railway from Haymarket station to just after Edinburgh Park station. I’d estimate around 2/3 miles, so roughly about 2 mins of the journey.

There is a section just after Murrayfield where the tram goes over the train track so that could be quite an interesting but if modelled well

9. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Wow. Just wow.

There's quite a bit to unpack, so I'll leave a couple of points for discussion:
    • The large Concourse PIS screens (at long last) enter TSW!
    • Edinburgh at night: Looks better than Birmingham! Screenshot_20230115_174038_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

I don't have much time to go into the station, but the detail (and accuracy) on show is absolutely superb, and it's giving me good reason to go nuclear and give it a 10/10. Glasgow Central was an 8, for comparison.

• Like Like x 2
  10. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

I didn’t even notice the gigantic destination screen! Looks like they found a clever way to integrate the individual platform screens into a big grid.
    Don’t want to spam the thread with lots of screenshots since everyone can just click on the video, but the texture quality is insane. This is like the cool little rooms from IOW 2022, but expanded to a gigantic mainline station!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Jasper_Rivet

Jasper_Rivet Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say a big "THANKS" for all the feedback in here!

Have forwarded the catenary issue, not sure if this can be fixed in time. Oh and the Walkaround preview was recorded in the editor, that's why the frame-rate is a bit choppy. Have noted the popping seat as well.

Cheers!

• Like Like x 20
  12. trainsimplayer

Arguably one of my favourite things when it comes to rivet is these little (or in this case - large) details that they throw in to their stations and surroundings.
    They have had some issues in the past (I mean, who's denying it) but whoever is responsible for this kind of thing is doing god's work. Hats off to the designers of Waverley.

(Also interested to see how the Concourse PIS will work, and if it will feature in that white, screen-like form at Queen Street)

13. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

HUZZAH!

• Like Like x 1
  14. SHINO BAZ

Working elevators as well.I really wonder how well they will work because getting stuck on a randomly breaking elevator is not the sim i'm looking for right now.All this extra effort at stations is nice but not at the expense of the main interest the train.

15. SHINO BAZ

Actually the tram line goes over the main rail line twice.If the tram line was was a useable and drivable it would give this route way more wow factor.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

They seemed to work quite well on the Holiday Express route, to be fair.

• Like Like x 1
  17. londonmidland

Thank you for acknowledging this thread and it’s constructive feedback Jasper_Rivet

I’ve noticed in the latest video, the incorrect OLE portals have also been placed for Edinburgh. These are old 1970s WCML style OLE portals. This route shouldn’t have this model anywhere along it as electrification along this route is modern.

There is also an issue with the headspan OLE clipping through the canopy roof.

The correct OLE portal images of what should be used will be posted below here. These new style portals feature on the Birmingham Cross City route so I would image you guys would have it in your asset library.

I know it’s really short notice but it would be great if these were rectified before release.

Locations of incorrect OLE models are Glasgow Eastfield Depot and Edinburgh Waverley (the portals need replacing with the correct model). I’ve highlighted in red the models which need replacing and/or adjusting. Thanks.

Incorrect type of OLE which needs replacing/adjusting:
    B278078D-52DE-4EB2-B18C-3288364BC72B.jpeg DA8AFCBE-210A-4650-8543-B26A531BB7C1.jpeg

Replace above model with this variant:
    4E6A287F-0CA5-4BC6-811C-2BD188F960AD.jpeg
    B85A4AF1-A1E6-4CB6-B44E-B0C153A6666C.jpeg

Edinburgh Waverley reference:
    5C1C249E-10AA-4C1C-8DC2-9A90B52A5DD6.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
  18. SHINO BAZ

True but if those elevators got sutck you could jump to safety,but the elevators on this route are fully enclosed so if they break you'll be restting i guess.

Let's pray rivets testing team fully test the elevators for bugs.I can't believe that we have to worry about something like this.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
  19. londonmidland

Just some more feedback guys:

Edinburgh Waverley:
    It looks like the platform end lights are missing. None are seen here in the video. Could you please make sure they get added before release?

The lights go right down to the end of the platform and every light also has a P.A speaker attached to it. The type of light is a modern LED light which emits white light.

Thanks.

743B5091-56C5-41E6-8A8C-6F8E5A88560D.jpeg C72CE4B8-8546-4DA1-BF4A-96DE42FE8E21.jpeg DFBCE297-48A9-44AB-8458-F6C5CB63FEED.jpeg

Real life reference:
    77D6899B-37C2-46C2-9543-7D1CDD564B20.jpeg C3C1921B-3379-418B-8C89-CB3E16B2D24C.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  20. trainsimplayer

Well, no, because then they'd need to model it as far as Edinburgh Airport.
    It's a train simulator, not a tram simulator. You're lucky you even have trams on the route, be greatful.

21. trainsimplayer

The point is that the elevator technology works in game. If it fails, then that's likely cause to just restart, if such basic features are faltering.

We don't have to, you're worrying over it for no real reason.

• Like Like x 1
  22. SteveRail

Found myself walking a small section of the route where the tram runs alongside the railway this morning. Took a few pics to give folk an idea.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  23. Ant Craft

Ant Craft Well-Known Member

If you're that worried about the lifts, just don't use them. There will still be stairs to use, it's not like you have to use them. But I highly doubt such a small feature is going to fail. Having used the lifts on Holiday Express a few times now, I've had no issues any of the times I've used them, so I'm sure they'll be just fine.

• Like Like x 1
  24. trainsimplayer

There may also be escalators depending on what exits/entrances will be accessible, so plenty of alternatives.
    They're just getting worried over nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  25. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

For elevators and getting stuck on them, just create a loading screen and issue solved and you don't get stuck

26. Ant Craft

Ant Craft Well-Known Member

Yeah. Which is a point. Of course we know Rivet has added the working lifts to at least Edinburgh Waverly, but hopefully they've also done the working escalators too. I won't mind if they haven't since it's they're both pretty early features, but it would be cool to see. Either way though, this route is shaping up really well and I can't wait to be able to jump into it and get playing. Definitely a day 1 buy. Really happy to see how far Rivet have come and improved since their first few releases.

27. ray.flanagan67

ray.flanagan67 Member

What does your note 1 mean on the Cumbernauld turnoff? Thanks

28. Xander1986

Xander1986 Well-Known Member

Its a simulation no real world! So this change is not gonna happen before release and i guess it will never fixed. It's also not so bad in my opion! But mabey you have luck and this pictures are a little old and replace this already!

29. trainsimplayer

They are up to date images. And it's a simulation, exactly, which is supposed to capture and recreate the real world.

• Like Like x 2
  30. trainsimplayer

Forgot to put this - Cumbernauld services re-appear at Glasgow Queen Street (as AI)

• Like Like x 1
  31. Xander1986

If you prefer that than is 1 option.... Apply at Scottrail and drive real trains xD

32. londonmidland

I’m not sure how this is relevant to the game but surely getting the details right is a good thing, no?

It might not seem like a big deal but just wait until you drive at night. If the lights aren’t there then the platform ends will be pitch black. In my opinion that’s pretty immersion breaking as in real life, the entire station and platform is lit up end to end.

• Like Like x 4
  33. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

Has anyone noticed any speed signs in the route yet? Just wondering if we actually now have proper UK fonts installed on them at last. We've only been waiting a few years for this minor update. Yes, a small change, but would increase realism (look at the German routes, they've nailed it with this with their speed/mileage/stop marker posts).

34. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

In today's video update from Rivit, Jasper said that they have modeled natural section into the run that work.

• Like Like x 2
  35. Xander1986

Don't expect 100% reality so its a game ;)

• Like Like x 1
  36. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Poor Jasper appears to have been kidnapped, hopefully he will be released in the next week or so for the preview. :)

• Like Like x 2
  37. trainsimplayer

If you want to cause problems here go ahead.
    But, it's meant to be a recreation of reality, so we are allowed to raise anything we believe is an issue.

• Like Like x 2
  38. trainsimplayer

A significant portion of the platforms will be plunged into darkness because of the lack of lights. That's not just an inaccuracy, that is a major one.

• Like Like x 2
  39. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

The real world Edinburgh Waverley is served by HSTs, 800s, 158s,170s, the odd 156,385s, 185s, 802s, 397s and others alongside the 385s. I'm not bothered about the catenary as much as I'm worried about Waverley being empty.

• Like Like x 3
  40. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

It might not be empty if there are quite a few class 385 AI services.

The only train we have on that list in TSW is the HST and that would require reskinning at least or remodelling to make it accurate and that is a lot of work for AI traffic. They are hardly going to make a complete new train for AI traffic.

• Like Like x 2
  41. SHINO BAZ

What about the tram service it's a new train that AI controlled.This wouldn't differ that much from a regular train being AI controlled.

• Like Like x 2
  42. trainsimplayer

Following the recent devblogs and whatnot, here's a bit more ScotReaction (new thread name? - just kidding, that's horrific), this time in regards to the 385 Interesting Features video (touching on some other things, too)

Neutral Sections
    A long time coming if you ask me; Neutral Sections, for those who aren't aware, are essentially sections of OHLE with no power, usually as the power source changes over.
    Some 3rd Rail routes have a similar feature already, so it's good that OHLE finally has this.

Guard Panel
    The way the door handover button was described gave me the impression that this will hand total control over the doors to the player. Curious to see how this works.

TMS
    Already touched on this before but more than happy to see TMS make its way into the game with the 385. A great immersion feature and more toys in the cab to play with. Also, good to see it is, at least somewhat, compatible with other routes.

Yes!
    Poor subheading but we move...
    Edinburgh Park services confirmed, which implies Dunblane and Cumbernauld Line services.
    Screenshot_20230117_170448.jpg

Feedback
    Some specific feedback here:
    Positives
    (From this video)
    The 385 looks great, again.
    Good to see TMS is dynamic to whatever route you're on.

Negatives
    (Overall)
    Wrong Ballast Type (see below)
    Wrong PIS (see below)
    Wrong Catenary at Waverley (as shown above)
    Wrong signage at Waverley (as shown above)

IRL: 48391351302_48478d5db2_b.jpg
    TSW:

Screenshot_20230117_165321.jpg

Ballast:
    IRL: Falkirk_Grahamston_railway_station,_Stirlingshire_(geograph_5979986).jpg

Wrong line, yes, but it's the same ballast.
    TSW: TSW3-Ed-Gl-Article-Screenshots6.jpg
    Too Grey, same ballast used on pretty much every UK route, to be fair. Would be nice to have the proper pinkish ballast found in Scotland.

• Like Like x 3
  43. trainsimplayer

The 385s make up a significant enough amount of trains and, unlike that rolling stock (of which, one other train exists, and still needs a total overhaul to fit here), the catenary assets do exist, so there isn't as much work to be done. Not nearly.

44. trainsimplayer

The trams run along the line, and are more or less part of the scenery. They won't be as detailed as a train, most likely. (P.S. please stop banging on about the AI controlled trams, it's like a broken record)

• Like Like x 1
  45. SteveRail

Good spot on the Calling at Edinburgh Park bit, I completely missed that! Good news indeed

• Like Like x 1
  46. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

Extremely frustrating to see that the timetable stops are autocalculated instead of being real timings again.

• Like Like x 6
  47. SHINO BAZ

I have yet to find anything about this route that makes it interesting to me other than aaa you know.but i'll quit "banging on about it" .But in all fairness since dtg+3rd parties keeps expanding background releated things it should be just as topical as any train, train station or everybody favor topic ballast color.

48. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Agreed, real timings would be better. Bit worried now that the route timings will be too tight, which would take a lot of the relaxation out of driving. Having to « grip it and rip it » just to keep to time is somewhat stressful, here’s hoping common sense prevails!

• Like Like x 2
  49. trainsimplayer

There's a difference between raising a topic and doing it multiple times, making the exact same point, when clearly nobody else is up for said topic.

50. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Yes that is disappointing and surely unnecessary. The has been plenty of annoyance shown about it in the past so I don't know why they persist with it. It is like two steps forward and one step back.

• Like Like x 5