Upcoming Release Master The Express!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Alex, Jan 12, 2023.

1. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

The original curved design made it extremely difficult for drivers to distinguish signals. Quite problematic.

2. arek#2842

arek#2842 Well-Known Member

So we are suppose to drive this train looking via this 'keyhole' if we want to drive in cab?

3. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Well if you want realism yes. It might not look so bad when it is on the screen in front of you.

You wouldn't have this issue with a class 27 or 47!

• Like Like x 4
  4. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

From my POV I think Rivet's problem mostly is the fact, that stellar new additions usually get overshadowed by 1-2 big mistakes that shouldn't have happened in the first place - botched physics on Arosa and WCL for example, sounds on 38 stock. If they avoid these, the result can be really solid and I gotta admit IoW 2022 seems to be a pretty good example, where no glaring problem can be found and the extra mile they went with explorability suddenly moves it a lot higher.

• Like Like x 1
  5. arek#2842

arek#2842 Well-Known Member

Maybe Rivet can adjust the in cab view so it the windshield would take more space on the TV/monitor?
    I don't think we don't need to see the sidewalls switches all the time while driving (but maybe it is the IRL view when you're sitting in the driver's seats in 385 :| )

• Like Like x 1
  6. traindori

traindori Well-Known Member

It looks like this, but that's how the trainset is built.

From the beautiful design of the route you will therefore only see something of the outside view during the journey.

• Like Like x 1
  7. theorganist

They might be able to do something. I guess it depends what feedback they get.

I must admit I don't think I would want to be a train driver drivng these modern units, they seem awfully claustrophobic.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

And I used to think Electrostars were bad...

• Like Like x 3
  9. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Perhaps they could include an alternate interior view that is essentially about half a meter closer to the window. These alternate interior view slots are often used to provide access to head-out views and/or otherwise inaccessible buttons while driving, so I’d imagine they could also be used to give players a better view out of the front window. The primary view should remain where the head of the real driver would be, though!

• Like Like x 7
  10. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Will the Class 314 from Cathcart layer into this route if you have it? If so, that might be a saving grace to avoid driving this thing with such horrible visibility.

11. theorganist

I suspect not, although they haven't said for certain as far as I am aware. They wouldn't have been seen on this route, certainly during the time period depicted.

12. tibomatthijs

tibomatthijs Well-Known Member

Before getting mad; the 385 never run in 2014 on that route, they weren't even built yet (correct me if i am wrong). 380 started to do some services around the Cathcart area in 2014, but no 385. So if they would add the 385 it would be very inaccurate :D

13. tibomatthijs

314 withdrawned in 2019 so... Theres only 1; actually the 614 that has been doing tests on the route. So 314 wouldn't be that realistic in the timetable :D

14. Bravo2six

Bravo2six Well-Known Member

I think they ran a few peak services in 2018/2019 to Newton and Neilston (iirc from other posts). But I mean, I doubt much changed between 2014 and 2019 on this route.
    I would be nice to see an enhancement pack for CCL adding in a few 385 3 car services and the RHTT

• Like Like x 3
  15. theorganist

If they can add the class 40 to WCL then who knows what they might do to make the route more "realistic"!

16. tibomatthijs

380's did, not the 385 indeed. 385 never seen Glasgow Central yet afaik, surely not in 2014....

17. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

This should be standard in all train cabs really. I’ve always said as well that there should be an ‘internal view’ option that is outside the cab right up front and centre but the advice there is to put the 3 camera on the front. TSW has quite a wide field of view to enable dials etc. to be seen which doesn’t help with this kind of window but is great overall. As for the primary view being where the driver’s head would be, it would be nice if that actually happened but it is usually off by quite a margin, usually too high or too low.

The solution to nearly all the view issues is a freely moveable internal camera.

• Like Like x 3
  18. tibomatthijs

I think the main services etc need to be realistic. Railtours can be a bitt fictional, Railtours can run everywhere soo

• Like Like x 1
  19. theorganist

Totally agree with that, I enjoy the railtour layers.

However the class 40 on WCL wasn't a railtour, neither was the also unrealistic class 45 and the rakes of mark 2's carriages without a vehicle with a guards van.

As there is no way to select layers then you either get a route with just the included stock and maybe a railtour and people will say it isn't busy enough or you get layers which are often unrealistic which irks stick in the mud purists like me. It seems with WCL realism wasn't a factor, I hope it will be with this route.

However, modders have some how found a way to exclude certain trains from layers, why DTG can't (or won't) with their own software is a question I would love to hear the answer to?

• Like Like x 3
  20. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Nope as they never ran on this line. That would be highly unrealistic.

Electrification on this line is NEW and was previously worked by 158s and 170s.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Dinosbacsi

Ah, I see. Sure, it is better to keep it realistic then.

22. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Probably to make the route feel busier or due to how poorly the 150 was made.

23. theorganist

Well that is an odd decision if that is the case.

For a start this is West Cornwall not the area around Clapham Junction, it isn't that busy! Secondly adding totally unrealistic locomotives and carriages, not even slightly unrealistic, to a route you are supposed to be trying to recreate in a certain time period is a mind boggling.

An intercity reskin of the GWE HST would have been more acceptable in my opinion even if it didn't sound right!

24. MAX1319

MAX1319 Well-Known Member

About how many total services does it look that the route will have? As of now if only Edinburgh to Glasgow express is included then we are probably looking about 100 services?

25. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

I don't think it will as they have said that the 385 will not be layering in on Cathcart. So I suspect the only way to have it appear on GEE is via Scenario planner.
    Dont forget you can zoom in the views as well and i suspect for some of the PC players someone will create (or have already) a POV mod for driving positions.

Hentis

26. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

You can 'zoom in' the view, which may help, and there may be PC mods to give a different driving position, but I haven't tried them. I just position the 'floating' 3 camera on the front of the train and switch to that if I want to see the scenery.

27. Bravo2six

Not in 2014, but they did in 2019

Attached Files:

28. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

Were there any major changes to the layout, stations or operation (other than rolling stock) of the Cathcart Circle routes between 2014 and 2019 do you know? I have no idea at all.

29. tibomatthijs

Well indeed but GCC is set in 2014 so why adding the 385 than? :D

30. Bravo2six

I'm only going off what I've seen others post to be fair. Personally I have no experience with the route (outside of TSW).

31. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

Is there any way of telling that it's specifically set in 2014 other than the rolling stock?

32. Bravo2six

If there was no major station changes/ upgrades or the likes, what difference would it make making a new 'enhancement' pack set in 2019?.

• Like Like x 4
  33. Pookiebarra

Pookiebarra Active Member

very good question...pre Covid 4 trains per hour in each direction..is there an AI? If not it will be a easy drive between to very busy stations.

34. Bravo2six

I suspect they'll go for a pre covid timetable for the sake of gameplay.

35. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Especially when Diesel Legends exist...

36. Bravo2six

We don't talk about this... ;)

That dlc is an example of what not to do

• Like Like x 2
  37. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

This route is beginning to run rings around Cross City. Waverley is looking fantastic, maybe the best station ever in TSW3. I've always hoped to see cafes and shops that you can explore in the game. The level of detail is finally beginning to shape up to what I'd expect from a game like TSW3.

• Like Like x 3
  38. Bravo2six

New rivet video

• Like Like x 3
  39. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

A lot of people are getting very excited about the Scottish route, but there's a lot we don't know yet:
    How the train drives?
    Sounds?
    Any other traffic ( it's amazing how everybody has accepted and is apparently satisfied with one train per route for $40. )?
    Scenery along the route?
    Lighting ( especially night lighting )?
    How busy are Waverley and Queen Street ( any Rush Hour elements )?

The route may be very good, I hope it is. But it's much too early to pass judgement. I'll wait for a couple of streams.

And it is, after all, yet another commuter route with an electric push-and- run train.

( Although, much as I rail against " electrostars ", I was surprised how much I enjoy driving the 323. Maybe the 385 will be fun too. )

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  40. Irish Train sim

Irish Train sim Well-Known Member

Let’s remember that you can also wait for a sale if not happy. Most people are happy with “yet another commuter route and electric push and run train”.

• Like Like x 1
  41. Dinosbacsi

This is my biggest concern as well - and one of the most apparent issue with most Rivet Games made routes. Arosa, Cathcart Circle, Luzern-Sursee, all of these routes feature only one locomotive/EMU per route, meaning they are all very deserted and empty. Alongside a good batch of bugfixes, they could really make more train add-ons for there routes to increase variety.

Personally I am not really interested in routes with only one type of train, unless it's prototypical and doesn't mean loss of traffic.

• Like Like x 1
  42. james64

As I've said previously, you don't really need anything more than the 385 for this route. It's not a route that feels particularly lacking with just one train.

• Like Like x 1
  43. Crosstie

Well, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

However, from reading the forums for a while I think many players feel short- changed by this new paradigm. I know I do.

• Like Like x 2
  44. Crosstie

" Most people " ?

Have you polled the membership?

You're entitled to your own opinion, but that's all it is unless you have facts to prove otherwise.

• Like Like x 2
  45. Dinosbacsi

Well, it's true for most of the route, judging by the cab ride video I have watched. But Edinburgh will feel a bit lacking without other rolling stock.

At least they could've reskinned the Class 43 and put it in as an AI only train for the area. I mean if they took the effort to make AI trams, then why not AI Class 43s?

46. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

I think the fact that it is another scottish route gave it a bit of hype since most uk routes have been in the South. The last scottish route was Cathcart Circle which came out in 2021. So Rivet creating a scottish route right from their backyard pleases those who like scotland. And the fact that their modeling and all the new features are really well done. Some people like me are easily pleased by the work they've put into this route. It might feel empty for me, but I like being able to push the throttle handle back and forth. Obviously doesn't please everyone but given how much work they've put into this route built some hype and people naturally get excited even if there is 1 train.

47. james64

And what exactly would be good to add to this route? Yet another 66 with the RHTT? Big whoop. An AI HST would be nice, but you wouldn't really be able to drive it anywhere seeing as the route doesn't seem to run to Stirling.

I'm all for getting as many trains into a route as possible. But I also don't mind a route having just one train if that's all that's needed.

• Like Like x 1
  48. theorganist

Maybe we will get the class 52 layered in with some mark 2 carriages without a brake coach representing services going off to Inverness and Aberdeen ;)

Personally I don't mind just the one unit supplied as it seems to be the mainstay of services on this route. I imagine there is a good chance of some AI trains going off map so I think it will feel fairly busy.

Adding extra trains which are not realistic is not the way forward for what claims to be a "simulator" in my opinion.

• Like Like x 10
  49. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

While I do agree on such in theory, there's also an interesting debate to consider within the TSW community. What could be more unrealistic though:

Option 1: A realistic timetable with applicable rolling stock, but totally unrealistic levels of traffic (both playable and AI) across the route and at big stations, which, with the latter being mostly empty, like New Street on Cross City, can be considered highly unrealistic as well for a sim.

or

Option 2: Busier timetables, and thus busier stations and route, but with more unrealistic (but obviously not completely silly) choices of rolling stock.

I think sometimes, but not always, there are times when some decisions worked out, such as including Milton Keynes services on London Commuter (for context, in real-life, such 377s would have to be equipped with a pantograph).

Would like to hear other players' opinions on such.

50. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Until such time that every route and service is available, even in just a particular area then i see no problem with option 2. However I suppose you have to put in multiple timetables or a toggle for the "unrealistic (but obviously not completely silly)" layers. Because some people would rather have half of the traffic but everything there to be completely accurate.

• Like Like x 1