Water Topup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by severniae, Jan 16, 2023.

1. severniae

severniae New Member

Good afternoon fellow rail enthusiasts!

I'm running some routes on modern mainlines using preserved steam loco's - I'm trying some longer routes but of course an running out of water... I don't seem to be able to fill it up... What do I need to do?

Sorry for the potentially silly question...

2. Brickrail782

Brickrail782 Active Member

You're probably going to need to edit the route you're driving on, and add a water pickup point somewhere along the route near where you run out of water.

3. severniae

severniae New Member

Yeah - I guessed the editor would come into it - where are the water pickup points in the menu - can't find them in the list :/

4. mindenjohn

mindenjohn Well-Known Member

In the scenic items list under the signal emblem, look for Fuel point - water

5. Cuddy_Man

Cuddy_Man Well-Known Member

What routes and locos? A fully filled mainline loco tender should be good for 50 miles + without a refill, if the water consumption is correctly modelled.

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The Welsh Marches route sees steam specials and is 98 miles
    Settle to Carlisle is 71 miles with a lot of hard working

7. severniae

severniae New Member

So I'm running the ECML merge - I want to do a run to Edinburgh in one sitting, unfortunately there are no water topop sites along that route!

IRL for long routes the crew meet the team at stations along their route with a big water truck and pipe it in.. so was hoping to 'simulate' that process.

8. KTL_Rob Powell

KTL_Rob Powell Well-Known Member

The Just Trains common Library has a track linked water tanker asset that can be placed in scenarios for just such eventualities I believe!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Not at PC to check so unsure whether you can place a water trigger at scenario editor level so you may need to place one at route editor level if so then it'd only be for personal use not shareable as a scenario if that's ok with you then priceed as follows...

Always only ever edit a cloned copy of the route or scenario that way if you fluff it up big time you haven't broken the original.
    Open scenario or route in editor
    Find and place a water fill point in your desired location, these are located
    under the signal and signs section (image of a semaphore signal head)
    Water points are track linked objects so place the model close to the track and then place the track link arrow on the track exactly where you want the fill point
    Now sink the water tower or pipe model under the surface, because the track link is the important part here not the model
    Find suitable truck model and people models and build your little refueling scene as you'd like it to look by placing the models.
    Press the play button to save and exit

There are plenty of tutorials regarding route and scenario creating or editing on YouTube if you're new to the editor then I'd recommend you watch a few first

Edit: Rob pipped me to the post, that simplifies part of my instruction if that's the case.