Access Violation??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jpmackay, Dec 9, 2018.

1. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

I get few Access Violations with my program of Train Simulator lately. Some with the rolling stock and other when I start up the program of TS 2019 and pick the route and scenario then get Access Violation so I hit again to start up and can continue to TS 2019. That's STRANGE AND WEIRD about this part. I did sent few tickets before and one of the gentleman at DoveTail Games is no big help with this problem. All he tell that the problem is at my end not theirs. Well I did have to RESET THIS PC and clean up the problem but still get Access Violation. So I am asking you, members not DoveTail Games Train Simulator staff what caused this train simulator having Access Violation. I want to see if you have different answer about this.

Thank you,

John

2. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

When I had this problem DTG said to unsubscribe all my workshop content back up train simulator. Then uninstall it making sure the railworks directory is completely gone. Then reinstall the game since I did that I have not had that issue since.

My new nagging error is the game freezes up in 64bit waiting for help with that issue.

3. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

Thanks to you, Michael and will do this sometime tomorrow.That's a big pain but hopefully will solve the problem with this.

Take care,

John

4. Michael Newbury

You're welcome I hope this will fix your issue as well

5. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

Me too

John

6. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

Yup, I've gotten the same problem. Apparently it could be a case of some of the asset files (like for track, scenery, rolling stock, etc) becoming corrupt. How it happens, I don't know. But people have been having this problem since the 64 bit version of TS came out. It's NOT because of you or your machine, as DTG would like you to believe. They always insist the problem is on your end as an excuse not to do anything to fix it themselves. They're the kind of people where if you were running TS on the best computer in the world, had problems, and sent them your machine's specs, they'd say "Buy a better PC." or something along those lines.

7. Michael Newbury

I do agree with you John Murphy I am starting to have a issue with my Train Simulator in 64bit with it freezing and was told that it looks like a hardware issue. As they are unable to recreate the same issue on their end and I have a decent machine capable of running the simulator.

8. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

There is so much more to access violations than the end software and "the hardware"...
    Have you checked your antivirus isn't interfering?
    Have you checked your graphics and BIOS drivers are up to date and compatible with each other?
    Have you made sure that windows is up to date, but not necessarily on the newest patch (both of which can cause issues).
    Is the same issue happening in 32bit on the same route or is it only 64 bit?
    And that's only a portion of possible non-DTG reasons...

9. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

Attention to ARuscoe and others who interested

I find this very awkward with Access Violation because I kept sending crash report to DoveTail Games kayako and keep getting different answer from them. I don't think they really know what's going on with this. Because one time the support guy tell me to remove one stuff in the hard drive so I did then start again with Train Simulator and still get Access Violation then I sent another crash report. And the support guy tell me to remove another stuff in my computer. Why is the support guy kept telling me to remove one after another in my computer. I don't believe that he really knows what's going on with Access Violation. I, personally don't believe that is necessary to have Access Violation for this game with Train Simulator. Also I don't think that other game simulators outside DoveTail Games have the same problem with Access Violation in 64-bit edition.

Thank you,

John

10. ARuscoe

Having worked in computer and network support for two decades I can tell you that almost all the time the first one or two things you try are guesswork. "Access violation" is hardly the most explanatory of reactions, so they're trying to work out what is being access, by which software and at what point is it failing.
    Because logging in TS seems to be a bit lax generally they cannot, to my knowledge, look at what is loading, and when it's failing...

This does mean uninstalling anything new or that has recently changed, and not just in TS
    Don't forget, the core of TS is based on ten year old software... Even the 64bit version
    So with each windows update, each BIOS update, each GPU driver update... it all moves further and further away from when the core used to run without issue.

The point is, that whilst you are getting issues with TS, there is everything behind this that can mess it up, the same as if you turn on the tap and expect water to come out there's a plethora of things that need to run well for that to happen, many of which you don't know about unless you're a water engineer...

This is why I said in my last post several things that should be checked FIRST, before removing software or settings from TS, because I have seen a number of posts on this forum recently where GPU updates had taken place which caused issues, and when they were fixed people then needed to update their BIOSes to get things going again.

And neither of those issues were caused by DTG

• Like Like x 1
  11. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

Well I got my Nvidia driver right up to this date and not sure about GPU . If need flash the GPU in graphic card I don't think that is necessary or stay out because if made the flash through mistake and the graphic card will not work anymore. That is what happen with me with other graphic card. Please explain what is GPU for the computer.

Thank you,

John

12. Michael Newbury

Hi John
    I see you have just updated to the latest version on NVIDIA drivers hopefully it is not ver 417.22 as it is very buggy. I have been experiencing issue with the game freezing up. Looked online and everyone who has updated to this version of drivers are having issues. You may want to roll back to the previous version until they release a fix.

13. ARuscoe

Statements like this...
    The GPU IS the graphics card, more specifically the graphical processing unit on the card.

If you have the most up to date drivers then it's probably them that are the issue and I would advise rolling them back at least one week and trying again before coming forward.

Even worse than windows updates, GPU driver updates cause all sorts of weird interactions at a core level of processing so if you've had an update, check on that. Also note, nvidia make motherboard processors too, so they can ALSO have been updated and may need to be applied to make everything work right, so check all your drivers.

14. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

Hi John (jpmackay),

Sorry to hear you're having problems with Train Simulator, I'd like to look into this in greater detail for you. Please can you share your ticket number with me so I can review where things are.

Best, Steve

15. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

I don't think that is the blame of Nvidia drivers and more likely with Train Simulator itself.

John

16. ARuscoe

If it was "train simulator itself" then nobodies would work. An interaction between complex elements, including TS, is more likely