Peninsula Corridor - What Does Electro Pneumatic Brake Do?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by blazingsoup, Jan 16, 2023.

1. blazingsoup

blazingsoup Member

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone could give me a definitive answer as to how the electro pneumatic brake switch changes the normal braking of the MP36PH-3C. The game never mentions it - I only saw it as I was looking to turn on safety systems - so I'm wondering if it's worth using or not. Thanks in advance

2. tygerways#2596

tygerways#2596 Well-Known Member

In my understanding, a switch of this kind (ep brake cutout) should enable you to cut out the electronic control of the brake pipe and switch the brake system to purely pneumatic operation (quite similar to the "el/pn" switch in the Traxx 2 locomotives). As far as I know, this only serves as a backup system in case of a malfunction in the electronic control (and should probably result in the brake pipe reacting slightly slower).
    If and how this is implemented and simulated in the game I have no means of knowing.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Jonne1184

Jonne1184 Well-Known Member

The game should simulate this quite well. You will have quite the substantial difference in reaction time to brake application and release.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Both the F40 and the MP36 automatically start using the dynamic brake if you are braking - you can can hear this happening as the revs pick up during braking.

I assume the switch simply turns this feature off and you are left with just the regular air brakes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Jonne1184

Jonne1184 Well-Known Member

EP brake is not dynamic brake.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

In brief my understanding is:
    Air (standard) - the brake cylinder pressure is controlled by air from the loco end and will gradually carry down the train - think Sand Patch Grade type freight train - it can take a long time for the brakes at the back of the train to start responding.

Air (Electro-Pneumatic) - The message to apply brakes is carried through the train as an electric signal (much quicker) and each cylinder will then start to adjust pressure (theoretically at pretty much the same time) for a much more responsive braking experience. - Think 72 stock on the Bakerloo, or the trains you suggest on Peninsula Corridor.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. tygerways#2596

And in between there exists a setup where the brakes in the cars along the train are controlled the "classic", pneumatic way by the pressure in the brake pipe, while the brake pipe pressure itself (via the pressure in the equalizing reservoir) is controlled electronically by electric signals sent by a brake computer in accordance with the setting of the brake "valve" in the cab. This should also go by "ep-brake".
    In any case, the train should always be able to "fall back" on the air-only, pneumatic operation in case of a malfunction (or for emergency brake applications). This is what the switch mentioned in the OP is for, imho.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. blazingsoup

blazingsoup Member

Wow, I'm a little late, but thank you all for the very thorough and descriptive explanations.

• Like Like x 1
  9. tygerways#2596

In case anyone is interested in going from this tame technical topic to matters of more severe impact, I would like to point out the recently renewed discussion about if and how brakes of the kind described by GuitarMan with additional features (Electronically Controlled Pneumatic Brakes – ECP brakes) can prevent or at least mitigate the effects of derailments like the horrific incident on Feb 3nd near East Palestine/Ohio, where a 150-car Northfolk Southern freight train carrying hazardous materials partially derailed.
    This is also connected to an ongoing discussion whether or not railway carriers should be required by federal regulations to use ECP brakes on trains carrying hazardous materials and crude oil.

10. dramos#3074

dramos#3074 Member

Does the mp36ph have safety systems all I could find was the alerter no acses or anything like that

11. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Exactly like this. All cars apply their brakes simultaneously with ep brakes.

12. tygerways#2596

No, (in the game) there isn't.

ACSES wouldn't be used on Caltrain trains anyway.

In real life, Caltrain would (from what you can read on the net) probably be using an I-ETMS (Integrated Electronic Train Management System) built by Wabtec, since they are required to employ some means of PTC (Positive Train Control) according to the Rail Safety Improvement Act of 2008. Before that (about 2014 to 2017), they apparently fiddled around with a system called CBOSS (Communications-Based Overlay Signal System), what didn't work out.

To my knowledge, a Communications-Based Train Control (CBTC) system has never been implemented in the game so far (except for the PTS part of ACSES that runs on radio communication, if you will).

Last edited: Aug 23, 2023
  13. dramos#3074

dramos#3074 Member

I see ty for your knowledgeable response

• Like Like x 1