PC Monitor Loses Signal When Playing Tsw3

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by malikrthr, Jan 13, 2023.

1. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

Has anyone experienced a PC monitor losing display signal shortly after launching Train Sim World 3? I just tried one of the Cajon Pass Training scenarios and while playing, my monitor lost signal ane went into standby, but computer and audio were still running. It indicated that no display could be found. I wasn't sure if it could be as TSW3 is a very graphic hungry game, could it have caused the RTX3070 to work hard. I rebooted my computer and tried the training scenario for Cajon Pass again but same result occured, my monitor went to sleep in the middle of playing TSW3. I am currently using the Asus VG278QR @165Hz monitor at 1080p. Train Simulator Classic plays no problem but this happens with TSW3

2. yardem

yardem Well-Known Member

How do you recover from the situation? Do you reboot your PC? Or can you Alt-Tab back to Windows, and get the monitor active again?

Do you happen to have another GPU in your system, for example an iGPU (aka "integrated GPU")?
    If you have an Intel CPU, then you do have one. For AMD, there are some CPUs that have an integrated GPU, you'd have to check.
    The best way to get rid of such confusion would be to disable the iGPU in your motherboard's BIOS. There's also a way to disable it in Windows, but it gets more complicated. Google can point you in the right direction.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. malikrthr

To recover, I restarted the computer as Alt tab did not work for me. My Intel Core i7-12700k has an iGPU as well. Thanks for letting me know it could be a possible conflict with the iGPU. I am going to disable it in the BIOS and see if that works

4. malikrthr

Many thanks yardem, your suggestion to disable the iGPU through the BIOS definitely resolved the issue. I can now use TSW3 successfully without the display losing connection.

5. yardem

yardem Well-Known Member

Happy to help! Enjoy the game!

• Like Like x 1
  6. malikrthr

It appears I spoke to soon. The issue occurred again with Train Sim World 3 causing the display to lose signal. Has anyone experienced this with the Cajon Pass Training center scenario? It seems every time I launch a scenario in Train Sim World, a few moments later, my monitor loses signal so I can't see anything. I also changed from display port to HDMI cable and the result was the same. I can play Train Simulator Classic without any issues but it seems Train Sim World 3 may have something to do with the graphics or display losing signal. Has anyone else experienced this happening with their systems? This was after I disabled the iGPU through the BIOS. I also wonder if this is a flaw with the Asus VG278QR gaming monitor?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
  7. Thorgred

Thorgred Active Member

8. mariussoare_84

mariussoare_84 Well-Known Member

The remaining possible reasons could be:
    - drivers (try reinstalling them) though since other games such as TSC don´t have the issue it can mean it´s not them
    - high temperature (check the cooling, clean up the card and case interior if needed and use MSI Afterburner to see what kind of temperatures the card reaches). It would be hard to see the histogram since the display loses signal and you need to restart so instead enable the Riva Tuner stats overlay to display this in game. This comes with Afterburner.

Cables could be another reason but you already swapped between DP and HDMI which removes this possibility.

My guess is that something related to temperatures or a power supply issue unable to sustain a higher demand in certain moments (transient current).
    I too have a 3070 but my version has a small OC made by the manufacturer and doesn´t go beyond the 220W power limit which is the default level for this model.
    You can use HWInfo64 to see power draws for CPU, RAM, GPU etc. individually as well as temps to make an idea if you are reaching the limit of the PSU or you are within range.
    Good luck!

9. malikrthr

My graphics card is a GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8G (REV2.0) Graphics Card, 3X WINDFORCE Fans. I tried to run the firmware but received the below error message. I have also tried to restart the computer.

upload_2023-1-14_10-40-49.png

10. malikrthr

Unfortunately, I am wondering if something may have corrupted Train Sim World 3 on my PC. The first week I ran TSW3, it ran amazing on my computer but starting on Thursday evening, I started receiving the black screens shortly after launching any route in TSW3. Perhaps an uninstall and reinstall of TSW3 can help?

I opened up the PC case and noticed that the rear fan and side window were getting a bit hot. It's crazy that those 2 parts were getting a bit hot because the Corsair 4000D airflow is supposed to provide good temps. Right now, I have my side doors removed but tried running a few scenarios in TSW3 and the screen turned black again. I downloaded MSI afterburner and Rivatuner to display the temps that I was receiving and from what I have noticed, it reaches 73 degrees celsius max when running TSW3. I don't believe the GPU temp is the problem since it is within safe operating temps. The max operating temp for the RTX3070 is around 85 degrees celsius before the throttles or shuts down. I have also enabled resizable bar and underclocked the RAM from 3600Mhz to 2133Mhz but the result was still the same when running TSW3.

I just launched American Truck Simulator and Train Simulator Classic and was able to play those on max settings without any problems. Currently my EVGA 1000W G2 80+ Gold power supply is almost 7 years old. This PSU comes with a 10 year warranty but then again, it can't be the PSU since TSW3 is the only app that currently black screens the computer. I don't exactly understand how TSW3 worked for 1 week perfectly but now causes black screens. This definitely makes it hard to enjoy TSW3

In the picture below, the NVME drive that TSW3 is installed on is sitting between the CPU cooler and the graphics card. It can't really be seen though because I have a heatsink applied to the NVME. I believe my cable management is okay at the rear.

upload_2023-1-14_10-45-30.png

upload_2023-1-14_10-45-54.png

upload_2023-1-14_10-54-40.jpeg

upload_2023-1-14_10-56-11.jpeg

11. Have you tried changing the display resolution?

12. malikrthr

Yes

13. malikrthr

From the most recent TSW3 crash log, I received, it appears one of the errors I receive are, Error: 0x887A0007: [Line: 198] Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost. Attached is the crash error.

Attached Files:

14. Sounds like a problem with unreal engine. Try verifying your game files. If your still having problems there's some further steps on the unreal forums you can try.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Bobek70

Bobek70 New Member

Triy to update display driver,chipset driver,and windows

• Like Like x 1
  16. malikrthr

I will give that a try. I agree, it appears it is related to Unreal Engine from the log file. Since ATS uses Prism3D and TSC uses DX9, this error only occurs with TSW3. I will verify the game files and If that doesn't work, I will Uninstall TSW3 and perhaps reinstall it.

17. malikrthr

Thanks for the suggestion. I will verify that Windows/display drivers and chipset is up to date. I may need to send a support ticket to Dovetail. I wonder if the devs have experienced this as well with TSW3

18. I had a quick look on unreal forums and it's a common problem with ue4.
    Problems ranging from corrupt game files, display drivers, ue, conflicting hardware (igpu and descreet gpu) and more.

19. Bobek70

Bobek70 New Member

One more suggestion,,,,open a command prompt,run as administrator,type SFC /SCANNOW and run.This scan your system for corrupt files

20. mariussoare_84

I too have experienced a weird behavior caused by the latest patch. After the first one deployed on Monday, the game would open and crash to desktop. I verified the files, it found 5-6 that needed to be reacquired, it downloaded them but the attempt always ended up with status ¨Download is corrupted¨ on Steam.

I retried several times to no avail. I then decided to uninstall. It took me 3 attempts to reinstall the game and have that corrupted error go away.
    Patience is a virtue. :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. malikrthr

Thank you for the advice and suggestions everyone. I decided to uninstall TSW3 and reboot the computer. Afterwards, I ran sfc /scannow and verified all files were in tact. I made sure to enable resizable bar and disable the Intel UHD 770 iGPU via device manager so now I am only running off of the RTX3070. After that, I ensured that the latest updates for my GPU were installed. In the registry editor, I added Dword values for tdrdelay and tdrdidelay and set them to a decimal value of 60 for the GPU to help prevent the D3D device being lost error. This morning, I also changed the orientation of my top case fans with the hopes of improving the airflow a bit. I did a reinstall of TSW3 and verified the integrity of the game files after the install. So far, all the game files are in tact with no corruption. I ran a scenario on London Commuter for approximately 30 minutes today without any issues, besides the typical stutter that occurs once in a while in TSW. So far no black screen. WIth these changes that I made, I am going to closely monitor TSW3 so hopefully no more black screens occur. I definitely agree, patience is a virtue and it is good to be patient, especially when it comes to technology :)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  22. mariussoare_84

I´m glad to see you have so far resolved the issue.
    It could have simply been the last update that caused it since you have already played several runs without issues.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Thorgred

Thorgred Active Member

computers and operating systems can surely act up

before the latest windows 11 update i could not run TSW 2 in DX12 launch option mode setting
    but after that update it was fixed

the SFC /SCANNOW and the other thing that you can do trough powershell did not see anything wrong then

so yeah updates can fix and break things :)