Scotrail Express: Scottish Perspective

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by trainsimplayer, Jan 12, 2023.

1. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

How would the timings be different between a manually inputted one vs an autocalculated? I ask b/c I don't know the differences in the timings and how to recognize it.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

The biggest giveaway with automated timings is the seconds it asks you to depart at. It'll be random, like 14:30:42 or 09:00:13. Manual/real life timings will either be :00 or :30 seconds past the minute.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

I personally don’t massively care about it. I’d rather have an auto-generated timetable that allows me to do a reasonably fluid drive instead of a real one where I end up being at the stations 2 minutes ahead of time, which often happens because the real timetable takes other services and/or speed restrictions into account that aren’t there on the virtual route. But I understand that the overly precise arrival times can upset some, it’s definitely not like that in real life.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. rennekton#1349

Also that non player trains have no simugraph physics and just do full throttle full brake which can affect the timings.

• Like Like x 1
  5. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

This may become a bit of an issue when driving in adverse weather, where you physically cannot depart and brake harshly. Though I don't see this becoming a major issue, other than arriving a few mins late tops.

• Like Like x 1
  6. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Honestly it does still confuse me how Devs still use generated timings for timetables. I mean, yes, I get that it's not exactly a quick job to make them manual, but it's not as if the information is hard to find, and generally with these services they are very uniform, just (in the case of 'eXpress' services) the same run every 15 minutes (swapping between Slow and Fast)

7. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Whilst ultimately it is unlikely to stop me purchasing the add-on. It's a shame to see these great new features and to see the detail in the train and the route only to see that effect marred by these AI timings. They are simply unrealistic. And from previous experience quite hard to adhere to. I'm astonished frankly if the AI has been used for the timetable.

8. trainsimplayer

Rivet really need a Joe ;)

(But tbf, the timetable on Cornwall is horrible to keep up with. LZN is alright)

• Like Like x 1
  9. rennekton#1349

I was talking about how the auto generated timings are probably the result of how ai trains drive compared to how a real life player would drive with all safety systems on and driving more carefully/cautiously depending on weather conditions.

10. trainsimplayer

It could be only for certain services.
    I know that seems unlikely but it could just be a timing thing, with the service calling at Edinburgh Park needing to find space or something.
    Idk.

11. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a scenario on the Bremen route where, not only do you need to use spurs and the whip on the BR110 to keep to time, but also need to run at full line speed of 160 km/h, whereas the loco and carriages are supposed to be limited to 140 km/h. Clearly the timetablers were not communicating with the operations department!

12. Jonne1184

Jonne1184 Well-Known Member

As with DCZ, this might just be because the real life timetables are not achievable. Do not ask me why, but DB has a tendency to create timetables they are not able to adhere to. Of course if you replicate this in TSW and the physics are quite accurate, you will come to the very same results in that the train is always late at some stations.

13. trainsimplayer

ScotRail timetables are very reasonable 99% of the time. Especially these Central belt routes with so many services, where it has to be exact

14. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

I wasn't going to bother with route as a) it will be empty at the terminals and b) I cannot be doing with little box windows I can hardly see anything out of BUT I am very much liking the effort they've put in adding Neutral Sections (waheyyy, finally!), TMS and Door Operations so I think it will be a day one purchase from me now, I'm hoping the night lighting is much better than previous releases and I'm able to enjoy an evening drive/ride.

• Like Like x 2
  15. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

West Midlands trains manage to do the same!

Rivet have received a lot of flak (much of it deserved), they are clearly making great strides so for me this route is worth supporting, unless something major shows up on the stream.

I do hope the timetable "issue" is maybe a blip.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

With the independent door operation, will we actually be able to play guard on this route?

• Like Like x 1
  17. rennekton#1349

It's the driver's job to turn on the door operations button and use the guard panel and of course driving. So there isn't a separate guard mode. It's been explained in their recent video.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

The new video they posted today explains some of the logic and coding behind the passenger announcements. Looks really nice, but something that I noticed is that AI trains will apparently just be playing generic announcements and not be mentioning the next station.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

Bugger! I was hoping that wasn't going to be the case as I do a lot of passenger rides.

• Like Like x 1
  20. trainsimplayer

Reacting to today's article & screenshots found on the steam page:
    The hype train is in full swing.

I'll do a proper reaction tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  21. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

Now that they finally showed us the tram and suggested it might be more then just background scenery it looking promising again.Gotta admit the trams got some really nice details for just being sorta in the background.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
  22. trainsimplayer

It is nothing other than background scenery.

23. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

Rivet bravo!!! Great job done on the first screenshots! Looking forward to the preview. The fear of physics 385 and sounds lurked, but I believe that we will not be disappointed. For me, this is a first day purchase!

I'm reading a topic on the forum and wondering "community, are you not too demanding on the developer?" To simulate an open world on such a route with 100% accuracy, to fill it with the desired (not yet existing) traffic and life will take years. Accept assumptions and inaccuracies, don't be so critical. Rivet has already done much more than we could expect. Be fair, forgiving and grateful.

• Like Like x 3
  24. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Since they added the tram to the section where they talk about AI services, I genuinely wonder if it may have been built and programmed like a “real” AI train, and not just a variation of the street traffic system like the Schwebebahn on Rhein-Ruhr Osten. Maybe this means the trams adhere to their actual speed limits and service patterns, and you can run trains on their tracks in scenario planner? Just hope they can add lights to them, looked quite dark in the screenshot ;)