New To Ts, How Does It Work?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wolvestrains, Dec 4, 2018.

1. wolvestrains

wolvestrains Member

Cant really remember to describe, its happened a couple of times. I was just running on the North Wales line in a Voyager and I ran right through a red signal and its game over.. but I never saw it coming until I saw the signal.. It was the second scenario on career mode I think..

2. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

Did you not see a single yellow signal beforehand, warning you that the next signal could be red, and therefore to slow down in preparation for that?

Colour-light signals in the UK can display any of 5 aspects. These are:

• Flashing Green - the train may proceed at line speed. This aspect was only used on the 140 miles per hour (230 km/h) trial section of line between Peterborough and York.
    • Green – the train may proceed at line speed. (On the 140 mph section of line above it means that the next signal shows two yellows.)
    • Double yellow – Preliminary caution, the next signal is displaying a single yellow aspect.
    • Single yellow – Caution, the driver must be prepared to stop the train at the next signal.
    • Flashing yellow - warning of a diverging route set at high speed turnouts, route is set.
    • Red – Danger/Stop
    [Wikipedia]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

First you need to look at the TS2019 Manual - it's in Railworks Manuals - unlike when you are driving a car a Yellow Signal does not mean Speed Up it's about to change but Slow Down as the next Signal is RED.
    Once you have worked out what the Signals mean you will learnt to react to them.
    Also the F3 or F4 HUD shows the Signals on the Map and how far you are away from them and the Speed Restrictions are also shown (apart from German Routes which have the Speeds on the Signals)

4. wolvestrains

wolvestrains Member

Thanks both... you are right I didnt realise that a yellow signal meant to slow down as the next one could be red. I know I could see the map with the signals coming up and how long there was between them, you cant see on the map what colour they are though can you?

• Like Like x 1
  5. wolvestrains

wolvestrains Member

Ok so I am now having my first go at applying some free skins from UKTrainSim. All I have is TS2018 and TS2013 (which gives me the euro pack). So I found some skins for the HST (Virgin EC, GWS and XC)... a London Midland 166 and a bunch of Class 47's... (Virgin, EWS, RwR).. I believe I have followed the instructions, I used the package manager (I have worked out how to open that now using a different local account) it did give me an error when running but I pressed continue... then I had to copy over some files into the new folders that were created... The class 166 is a success and I can use that one... the HST's I can see in the game but it gives me an error when I try to load it up saying cant load scenario, the Class 47's, I cant see those at all. I have followed the install instructions and I believe the pre reqs are only the euro pack.. the only thing I havent done is "clear cache" as not sure what that means... My London Midland 166 is working well tho.. any ideas?

6. wolvestrains

wolvestrains Member

Ok I found out how to clear the cache... no difference though, trying to use the HST's I have added results in loading for some time then an error, the class 47's I have added I cant see at all to select

7. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Post pics of the errors so we can see them
    I would also look up a signalling guide (PTG rail have a couple on YouTube for the UK and Germany) so you know what everything means

There's a lot more than green, yellow, YY, Red

8. wolvestrains

wolvestrains Member

9. wolvestrains

wolvestrains Member

So i can see the Arriva Cross Country and the GWS that I have loaded from TrainSimUK, but when I click to start I get this...
    errortrains.JPG

10. wolvestrains

wolvestrains Member

This guy works though, and its basically the same instructions to get him loaded..

errortrains.JPG

11. wolvestrains

wolvestrains Member

Actually, what is this last step after step 12, I havent done that.. according to the documentation for the skins

errortrains.JPG

12. ARuscoe

Given the thumbnail for the HST XC hasn't loaded, I would say that there is an issue with how you've installed it. Go back through and try again making sure you don't miss any steps

13. wolvestrains

wolvestrains Member

Ok so I just watched this video...

Its installing the same skin, the package manager is taking a long long time to do something in his video, in mine it is super fast, it errors out saying it cant find some file but it seems to create all the folders files etc if thats all it does?

14. wolvestrains

wolvestrains Member

The thumbnail has loaded , in that I can see it to choose it, its just disappeared when it errors out

15. wolvestrains

wolvestrains Member

Ok, so I am having a go at another one, another class 166 GWR this time.. when I try to open in package manager, I very quickly get this message, I press continue....

errortrains.JPG errortrains.JPG

16. ARuscoe

OK, and have you looked at the path and made sure it's intact?

17. wolvestrains

wolvestrains Member

Despite package manager not being happy as it has been for all my attempts, the new 166 GWR has worked fine. Not sure why the HST and the class 47s arent working... I am following same process.

20181210232352_1.jpg

18. ARuscoe

Contact the people who made the content

19. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The map is not designed to do that - the same way a real train driver only knows the colour of the signal when he sees it.
    Have a look again at what the requirements are for the HST reskins and also try the default HST's to check they work ok.
    Check you have copied the Geopcdx files in to the correct folders.