Upcoming Release Master The Express!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Alex, Jan 12, 2023.

1. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Both options are valid in my opinion.

I would want a more realistic timetable only if loco dlcs and other routes using the same station plan to be added any time soon. Some routes have only 1 train only and if it's quiet but realistic, then it's fine. However, for massive stations and routes is where I start to care to some extent depending on the route. I like bcc and the 323 which both contained a lot of new features, but seeing an empty station either through my eyes or through the hud makes me wish there was actually something there. This is where more than 1 new train per dlc comes in. I know trains are complex to make and are several months of work and there are deadlines. But I feel like for larger routes like bcc or routes with massive stations where there aren't any trains that can be added to the route, there should be at the minimum 2 new trains so it feels less empty even if it still feels empty. I wouldn't want a train to only get modeled exteriorly or only as ai that is not one of the trains in game as that would be a waste of resources. Routes like ccl I don't mind at all since the 314 is the main emu that ran during the time period and other trains aren't in game and go off the map. Again, like mentioned above, don't want trains to be only partially modeled to act as ai only.

Option 2 is also great cuz it makes the route feel busier. This is one of the reasons why I like bro. I don't know what trains run exactly where or the service pattern since I have no knowledge of german railways. The inclusion of the 612 is great even if it represents a completely different dmu. I wouldn't have known without reading the forums. Even after knowing the actual dmu, I'm glad I can use the 612 on another route. More traffic = much better route. However, nothing too silly. I wouldn't want to see a emu or dmu running a loco service or a loco hauled service running emu/dmu services. Don't want to see a commuter train running high speed services either. You get where I am getting with this. Some other routes I like is sehs which uses the tgv and the ai ice3. Do I know what actually runs in sehs or what services it represents? (no). Even if it adds something small, it's a nice touch. The 422 on ska is another example where the actual emu turned out to be the 423. Also didn't care about it. For uk routes, wouldn't mind seeing a train in the wrong livery although that would spark a whole other debate. Would I know about the actual operators of the route? (no). Obviously would only know through forum members or wikipedia, but it's not a big deal for me. Ideally would want the actual livery. But if it's the same train, then wouldn't mind it being layered into other routes as long as it adds more traffic and it's not too silly. Just additional traffic in general wouldn't be terrible either. Like the br blue content in wcl which I would rather choose over the release version of the 150 which was really poor. Some people hate it, but to me, there are new services and I get to use some really great trains in game.

At the end of the day, both options are great, but with exceptions which I've explained. I want routes to feel busy and alive with the iconic Joe timetable where appropriate and nothing too silly. Even if it adds something small to the route, it's nice to see other trains in game. So there should be a toggle option between realism vs. busyness

• Like Like x 2
  2. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Taking New Street as an example. Personally I would have been happy to have seen some more class 323's coming in and out or even maybe a class 166 even if that is stretching things a little. However I would rather the station was quieter than it should be than seeing for example, a blue class 45 with some mark 2's.

The approach on WCL in my opinion is totally wrong as the layers are not realistic, the class 47 with the parcels train is the closest it gets really.

I may well be in the minority but it grates seeing something so unrealistic, obviously for many it isn't an issue.

Ideally something to select layers you want to see or don't want to see is ideal so everyone is more or less satisfied.

• Like Like x 6
  3. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Agreed, although I do think DTG needs to bite the bullet and start adding liveries to stock we have, TSW has a huge issue of routes coming with little rolling stock, and it’s a shame considering we have suitable stock which just needs some aesthetic changes.

• Like Like x 7
  4. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

There needs to be a lot more incentive on reskinning existing trains for AI-only stock. HST could fit so many routes, yet because of it only being in GWR and First (psst) liveries it can't sub anywhere. Modern Class 37 or Class 20 could even be usable, many of them still operate.

• Like Like x 12
  5. theorganist

Yes quite, I would be happy with a unbranded cross country liveried HST for AI trains on the Cross City, although I guess the livery could be covered by interlectual propery rights.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Metallipool

Metallipool Member

As this is a route I have been regularly using over the last year,while visiting my better half!! It’s a route I’m very much looking forward to.I’m very interested to see the surrounding detail during the journey,and especially the detail of the stations,having spent a lot of time recently having a good look round them while waiting for my connection.
    Not sure if it’ll be a day one purchase tho,as it’s a favourite route of mine,I think it’ll be worth the wait to see how it performs from other users reviews,as like all of us,I don’t want to be disappointed or frustrated.
    To complete my selfish want!! A dlc anywhere along the line from Peterborough to Edinburgh would make this express route for me even better imo :):):) Just saying!! :D

• Like Like x 4
  7. nepclassof84

nepclassof84 Well-Known Member

I think the keyword in this game is simulation. It’s all about the gameplay of the simulation.

if you’re going to do a timetable it should as realistic as possible. Traffic on the line should be as realistic as possible. Railfan tours happen and would be fun to have as well.

operations on the railroad should be as realistic as possible. For example I recall reading a post wondering aloud about more cold starts on timetable services. The answer from dtg was no that’s not realistic operations in many cases.

I don’t understand fabricating trains on a line that don’t exist or wouldn’t run on the prototype.

now if you’re dtg or one of their partners and you’re choosing a route to add to the game I’d hope that would be a consideration as to whether or not it’s a good idea.

for example you look at the modern us freight routes they’ve done. All except for cane creek are some of the busiest freight lines in the us. I see a lot of suggestions for do this and that. It doesn’t make sense to create a freight route that has maybe 20 trains a day.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I think this speaks to a general issue with simulation, in that the better you know the thing being simulated, the more glaring the flaws will be (Uncanny Derail Valley perhaps?).

I love the BR trains on WCL and all the different layers on the German routes precisely because of my ignorance of the real thing. I've ridden a few trains in the UK (like 20+ years ago), and have never been to Germany, so for me it's just like ..."more trains/busier is better"

For US routes, i notice so many little mistakes that are very grating. I tend to play the UK and DE content more often for that reason- i just have more fun driving rather than subconsciously counting rivets.

I'm not sure there's a solution. Even spending huge, unrealistic sums of money (say a DTG studio in each of the big 3 countries with fully staffed research teams who have the requisite local knowledge) things would slip through the cracks.

• Like Like x 3
  9. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

With regard to the narrow slit window, we really need an option like you had in MSTS where you could remove the cab "mask" and have the unobstructed forward view. If that's not an option with 3D cabs then put in an alternate view on the arrow keys that effectively sits you on front of the unit. Failing all else then I guess going to the external "3" view and getting the camera jostled round to the front would be a workaround.

But I would much rather Rivet had set the route back a few years, not necessarily the Class 27 or 47 era but maybe Class 158 or particularly Class 170 which would have provided a decent view out the cab.

• Like Like x 4
  10. rennekton#1349

New video has been released talking about the features such as on the tms functions and the guards panel. The blinds are set automatically in first class depending on sunlight. Another cool feature they implemented are neutral sections which are simulated so make sure yall don't get stopped in neutral sections.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
    • Like Like x 12
  11. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

I really appreciate Rivet giving us these little snippets. It just makes me want to play it even more, and it makes the wait a bit more bearable. I hope you're taking notes DTG.

• Like Like x 6
  12. Class156

Class156 Well-Known Member

Well done Jasper_Rivet and team, these regular videos are brilliant! Keeping the community informed and excited is key and I for one am more inclined to purchase now on day 1!

• Like Like x 9
  13. alexjjones6024

alexjjones6024 Well-Known Member

As we are on the topic of discussing liveries and AI traffic etc, just remember that this simulator was released (roughly) around 2017 and since then, we have only seen a handful of stock created. Take the GWE for example, 3 locos and a 35(ish) mile route. We are now looking at price increases, yet less created content/DLC. I generally don't see much increase on quality of content, as many still say that NTP is one of the highest rated DLC ever released to this day.

I guess my question is, what will another 6 years bring us? TSC has a vast amount more stock to select and plus, there are many more options with TSC, whereby you can edit a route and even do a quick drive which allows you to operate in a more realistic environment.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

We seem to be compromise Central now. Only the German stuff has a variety and busy timetable on most routes. I asked the question did people want more gimmicks like working lifts etc or operational representation ie Branches and alternative routes. The omission of the route via Grahmston (Falkirk) is pretty poor IMHO as its only a short distance from the Falkirk High route and brings in a lot more services at bothe ends and North to/From Larbert. There seems to be an acceptance now of one train per DLC and empty stations some of which are the busiest in the land. Putting a working lift in will not make Waverley seem real.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Irish Train sim

Irish Train sim Well-Known Member

The game has massively changed since those early days in 2017, look at Rapid Transit in the original bundle and compare that to what we get now. I agree that there isn’t as many loco’s as what I would like but remember that DTG are not as large as some companies and have had hurdles to overcome that are unexpected - DLC limit as an example. Now that more 3rd parties are joining the bandwagon, I’d expect to see a lot more content being produced. Personally, I’d love to see DTG focus on a massive project, like a large chunk of ECML/WCML and let the 3rd parties produce smaller projects. I know this won’t happen as not enough third parties and DTG still need to have income coming in but probably everyone who owns the game would purchase the larger route once it were to be released. Don’t want a backlash on this as I’ve explained that it won’t happen, just something I’d thought of as I’d desperately like to see the ECML.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
  16. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Lets see, since the release of TSW:CSX Heavy Haul I've seen;
    • Passengers trains
    • Updated throttle behaviour
    • Steam traction
    • Mile long US freight trains
    • Livery Editor
    • Scenario Editor
    • Creator's Club
    • Console support
    • Updated passengers (models, behaviour, numbers)
    • Updated lighting
    And lets not forget that TSW didn't have a lot of players in its early days, so it's no surprise development might be a tad slow there. I'd say the franchise have gained traction over the last fear years.

Praise TSC all you like, and it certainly has a few things I wish TSW had, but lets also be realistic. TSC runs on an ancient engine which has been pushed to the limit by the features and content created over the years, it's badly optimized on modern machines and can be unstable. Graphics are quite outdated too. The average TSW loco has more features than any TSC Pro-Range loco I've seen. TSC lacks a realistic Timetable mode. (Yes, Quick Drive is very nice, but it isn't realistic and has its downsides too). And the number of core updates I've seen on TSC is very little. It's been all about pushing out more content. (Which is OK, I guess, there still seems to be enough demand for that).

• Like Like x 11
  17. theorganist

TSC has been around in various forms since 2007 so it isn't surprising there is a lot more stock for it. It took some time for TSC to start to aquire a large library of content.

The one "product" which TSW will lack unless things change are some of the wonderful freeware routes which have clearly been labours of love which usually surpass payware content and have a lot me bespoke assets. Routes like Glorious Devon, The Wycombe Route, South Lancashire and Cheshire for example.

I am sure that when TSW has been around in its various forms for 15 years it will have a lot more content and more third parties will have got on board. It took over a decade for TSC to get routes like Euston to Birmingham as DTG payware releases.

The lack of a decent scenario editor and the layering situation are the biggest bugbears with TSW for me.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Bravo2six

Bravo2six Well-Known Member

Agreed, It's put me off ECW because of the split timetable for the route release and subsequent 313 release.

As much as I like the addition of the train, I would have prefered it to layer over the original services.

19. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

That's an odd example - in one case you'd end up with an empty branch until 313 release, in the other the 313 would have no services to create, because the route is full. Replacing 377s with 313s was pretty much the only way in this case.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

People are really moaning over a realistic small window, I guess folks really don’t understand what it’s like to be a train driver. Those who drive the units deal with it, so could you

• Like Like x 5
  21. rennekton#1349

Wouldn't have been able to sub anyway. Different formation lengths can't sub into each other at the moment.

22. Woroszyl The NS 2000

Woroszyl The NS 2000 Well-Known Member

They are actually coming.

23. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

I agree. However, simulation can also mean simulating realistic traffic levels.

All computer simulation involves compromises. For me personally, I would rather compromise on having an appropriate amount of traffic whizzing by with perhaps the incorrect livery rather than insisting on appropriate livery but have a little to no traffic.

• Like Like x 5
  24. james64

If you took a steam driver from the 50s and showed him that view he'd have been more than happy! Have these people complaining not played SoS, as the view from the cab there is much worse than the 385?

• Like Like x 2
  25. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

This is true but I think it's more natural for a driver to use the head-out camera in a steam locomotive than a 385 :)

26. james64

I'd still argue it's a better view as you can actually see directly in front of you. If you take a sharp right bend on a steam loco you're basically blind, and would have to rely on the fireman's view in real life.

27. theorganist

There are some steam engines on TSC where you can barely see anything, certainly not signals through the cab windows and have to drive with heads out. TSW does do it a lot better and more naturally.

One of the reasons class 20's were ran in pairs was due to the poor visibiity when running "nose" first.

I suspect it won't look as bad than maybe it looks on the videos.

28. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I would also note that, thanks to the expansion of TSW, DTG have expanded a lot over time, hiring more staff. Which, of course, raises costs naturally.

29. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

They just release another video a few hours ago

30. Isaak

Isaak Well-Known Member

Regarding limited view: I can recommend investing in TrackIr or similar: especially on SoS it adds a lot to the immersion as you can lean out of the cab, view the controls etc without having to switch views. It almost feels as if you're really in there.

• Like Like x 1
  31. tibomatthijs

tibomatthijs Well-Known Member

I've been watching through some 385 interior shots and...
    Looks like the interior PIS are green (look photo below)
    [​IMG]
    [pic from Google]
    But on Rivet's DevBlogs its orange...
    upload_2023-1-18_22-14-47.png

Not sure if they are aware of it/could be that its still WIP too of course! But it would be nicer & more accurate to have the green ones obviously! :D

32. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Second class passengers don’t pay enough for orange. They have to slum it with green.

• Like Like x 5
  33. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Is wonder if we’ll get “the next station is…” announcements on AI-operated services? The video doesn’t make it seem like that is the case, only the more generic messages appear to be present. That would be really sad, because sitting in the passenger section and hearing about the next stop would just ramp up the immersion to the next level!

• Like Like x 1
  34. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

I'd strongly disagree. While someone has listed quite a few examples of increased quality of content, I would add that the single biggest improvement since TSW launched is timetables.

I've played TSW since it came to console, thus GWE was my first-ever route. As you say, while it did come with three locos (and I do strongly agree with you that one-loco routes are not really acceptable,especially if it means big empty stations), I've always found the route's timetable to be dull, even today, I only ever play GWE on scenario planner. As such, I'd argue that more locos are not necessarily always the key to a decent route if the timetable isn't that great.

Meanwhile, back on the subject of timetables overall, I'd say that Rush Hour timetables were one, if not the pinnacle of a major increase in quality for TSW - London Commuter's timetable alone is simply epic, and to work on consoles and not just PC too is another big achievement in itself. Prior to Rush Hour, I was playing more with scenario planner than in timetable mode as I was finding the latter to be rather dull across a lot of the earlier routes.

Now, back in the present, I play timetable mode around 95% of the time now because a lot of recent routes actually have really decent timetables and AI traffic, namely SEHS, Bremen, Dresden-Chemnitz etc - and, plus, now even older routes like Bakerloo and Koln are exciting to play thanks to upgrades. Contrasting this to the timetable of GWE and there is no comparison - I know there was limited DLC back then, but it shows just how far DTG have come and definitely shows a major increase on quality of content. With more third-parties too, TSW feels it has an exciting future ahead.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

What in the ... !

Now that's what I'd call a new standard. That station beats anything I've seen so far for the game. That just made it a day one purchase for me.

(After reading through the feedback in here that's usually generated in the first day)

• Like Like x 1
  36. traindori

traindori Well-Known Member

I also have to admit that the timetables (especially "Rush Hour" and the latest newer TSW3 timetables) in TSW are a decisive reason for my purchase and I play them the most. And: It just feels good to wait on a platform until the train arrives and then take over a timetable service. Of course, that's the most fun with reasonable AI traffic.

I'm really looking forward to the new route, even if I don't really like the Class 385 (due to the restricted view of the route).

• Like Like x 5
  37. tibomatthijs

Soo First Class is the orange one
    So than it is accurate?

38. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

It was a sarcastic comment. The whole train has green PIS text throughout the interior.

• Like Like x 1
  39. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

Timetable and layer article when?

• Like Like x 1
  40. tibomatthijs

Thought so haha
    Not local and I dont know much about the train soo xD

But hopefully it will be fixed by release! :D

41. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

It worked on consoles? Gee then I guess the out of memory errors and game crashes were definitely big achievements

42. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

All works fine for me on Series X.

I think 8th gen consoles are getting a pretty compromised experience at this point though.

• Like Like x 2
  43. Xander1986

Xander1986 Well-Known Member

Trailer:

• Like Like x 2
  44. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

I‘m having a blast on my PS4! Sure… it takes a bit longer for the main menu to load upon initial start of the game, but there aren’t any unplayable performance issues apart from that. A few layers are missing, but it’s nothing absolutely essential. If I had to name two places where I notice being on Last Gen the most, it would be London Commuter and Munich-Augsburg. I’m looking forward to switching to PS5 in the coming months though, simply because all areas of the game (performance, resolution, layers etc.) will be even better on next gen.

• Like Like x 4
  45. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

I believe they do have this feature or else whats the point of creating this feature ;):cool:

46. Irish Train sim

Irish Train sim Well-Known Member

I’ve been lucky enough to get my hands on one of the early PS5’s. Makes a big difference to the game. You will enjoy it a lot more, still great on PS4 though but quite a big difference in frame rate. Enjoy when you get it.

47. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

That would be great. Seems like they just made a wrong statement in the dev video then, which is completely understandable.

48. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

"The announcements can also be heard from AI Class 385 services for added immersion when roaming on foot." This is part of the very article this thread is made for.

49. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

I think you're missing the point. I was pointing out that, firstly, even having this type of train sim, let alone a route with thousands of services on console is actually a major achievement - and I'm very glad of this as it allows those who previously did not have availability of such sims like this i.e. those who aren't PC gamers.

Secondly, I understand there was, and still is, a major frustration with game crashes and out of memory across many routes - having started with TSW on Xbox One, I certainly had my fair frustration of things not working, and this should indeed be the most important priority for DTG to sort for those still on Gen 8.

But, this comes to my final point, Series X - which, of course, is a console - has worked fine for a majority of the time with just a handful of crashes without problem, so in my view that does mean TSW, and especially Rush Hour, can work on console.

• Like Like x 2
  50. dudders

dudders Well-Known Member

Anyone thinking that the PlayStation 5 is any better performance wise will be disappointed. Lots of fps drops and poor performance on most routes. It needs optimisation and that is at the bottom of the list with dtg. I play the PlayStation 4 version on PlayStation 5 it's a lot smoother and a joy to play.

• Like Like x 2